SiouxSports.com Forum

Kupchella: Self-righteous NCAA deserves lawsuit

star2city

Just saw this AP story:

The University of North Dakota should strongly consider a lawsuit to challenge the NCAA's "self-righteous" and "arrogant" opposition to the school's Fighting Sioux nickname, UND President Charles Kupchella says.

"It appears there may be no recourse but to try to clear this up through litigation," Kupchella said in a draft letter to the NCAA, which was distributed to members of the state Board of Higher Education this week.

"Perhaps the most amazing thing is that through all of this, except for stirring things up, you have accomplished nothing," Kupchella tells the NCAA in the letter, which describes its position on Indian nicknames for athletic teams as "about as solid as room-temperature Jell-O."

Not sure how long the link will last:

http://www.in-forum.com/ap/index.cfm?page=view&id=D8I4CMHO2

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do like the sound of his letter!!

Tribal approval be damn@d when you look at it this way!!

"The fundamental irrationality of calling what we do hostile and abusive, on the basis of no basis at all, and then saying that a white guy in war paint, carrying a flaming spear while riding a horse into a stadium, leading fans in a tomahawk chop while singing an Indian chant, is OK, should be obvious to any jury ...

Brand,et el, eat $h!t,

"Arrogance may not be a criminal offense, or cause for civil action, but it smells bad, and it may be a cause for litigation when it leads to careless, irrational, arbitrary, capricious, and ultimately harmful behavior,"

Thanks for posting this. I guess someone finally pissed in his Cheerios this morning. I'm glad that his naked truth is finally shown. No more, "I wonder if Kupcake will do this. I wonder if he'll do that?"

Those involved may find that the course of action proposed may to be a hard road, but one has to finally believe in CK's resolve. I doubt there is any other motivation in this message. Let's hope that if he has plans of moving on before the transitional period of the "final" decision, he thinks twice. Ride the storm Mister Kupchella.

That's some very clear and direct rhetoric. I would imagine this is not shooting from the hip, either. He knows what he is doing.

We've not seen him talk this way, I wonder if in the past he was doing his best not to piss off the NCAA, and now he's got nothing to lose because there's no option left but litigation.

Geez Dr. K, don't hold back, tell us what's on your mind. :D

I liked:

"Once the self-righteous come to believe in the absolute correctness, political or otherwise, of their point of view, they proceed with a zeal that leaves no room for reasonable doubt, thoughtful consideration, or fairness."

Geez Dr. K, don't hold back, tell us what's on your mind. :D

I liked:

It does sound as if Charles has come to the end of his patience with the NCAA people.

I am sure he like the rest of us would like to have this issue resolved.

Indianapolis, Indiana

The NCAA today announced an unprecedented decision in college sports, when they banned a college president.

"The President of the University of North Dakota made us feel bad in comments he made about the NCAA in a letter yesterday" said an unnamed NCAA spokesman. In a letter to the NCAA, President Kupchella likened the NCAA's position on Native American mascots as "about as solid as room-temperature Jell-O" and called the NCAA "self-righteous".

The NCAA's ruling said that President Kupchella will be banned from being a college president at an NCAA affiliated college or university, attending an NCAA sporting event, or "talking about the NCAA in any way shape or form that causes any one of our employees to feel less than happy."

President Kupchella could not be reached for comment.

Indianapolis, Indiana

The NCAA today announced an unprecedented decision in college sports, when they banned a college president.

"The President of the University of North Dakota made us feel bad in comments he made about the NCAA in a letter yesterday" said an unnamed NCAA spokesman. In a letter to the NCAA, President Kupchella likened the NCAA's position on Native American mascots as "about as solid as room-temperature Jell-O" and called the NCAA "self-righteous".

The NCAA's ruling said that President Kupchella will be banned from being a college president at an NCAA affiliated college or university, attending an NCAA sporting event, or "talking about the NCAA in any way shape or form that causes any one of our employees to feel less than happy."

At least he's not "hostile and abusive" (by whatever standard they use to define that).

Indianapolis, Indiana

OK I get to ask the dumb question, is this serious or sarcasm at its highest. I do not think they have that ability....please no bashing me for asking the question, I jsut got alittle confused.

OK I get to ask the dumb question, is this serious or sarcasm at its highest. I do not think they have that ability....please no bashing me for asking the question, I jsut got alittle confused.

This is complete and total sarcasm....something like this could and would never happen.

I didn't see where anyone had linked the whole letter. If they already have, sorry, if not here it is.

http://www.universityrelations.UND.edu/log...er_6-07-06.html

Powerful letter!

There were many parts that were strangely familiar. Do you think Kup is a SiouxSports.com member?

Oops, as i was reading and posting, GeauxSioux posted a similar thought as to where some of the info in the letter may have originated. :D

Edited by Sioux-cia

I love the ending.

Certainly you have plenty of things to fix that really do have to do with athletics. We, too, have more

important things on which to work.

All of this notwithstanding, sometimes – even at some cost and some risk – it is best to

stand up to injustice.

You might be the first person to take ANY of my posts seriously.

I just read the President's letter. I'm in awe. I'm thinking that the legal minds think they have such an incredible case this letter is a shot across the bow to the NCAA in the hope that they will quietly remove UND from the hated list and both parties can avoid the cost and expense of going to court.

Either that OR, and here's my concern, UND doesn't feel they want to pursue this in court, and this is a bluff hoping that the NCAA will back down now. If not, UND in a few months will quietly make the decision to transform the name because they've decided it's not an appropriate investment of time or money to fight this in court.

Hopefully the former.

Normally letters are addressed to a person care of (c/o) a company or organization. The person is a part of a larger entity, the larger entity being the driver or the real power and force, thus the person is under the "care of". (If a company is listed first, a particular intended receiver is listed second and is listed as "Attn: (name here)".)

For example, UND's letter from August 30, 2005:

Myles Brand, President

National Collegiate Athletic Association

PO Box 6222

Indianapolis, IN 46206

Given this passage in the letter:

I suspect that a few people were the driving force and that the issue took on an organizational life of its own. I

I didn't see where anyone had linked the whole letter. If they already have, sorry, if not here it is.

http://www.universityrelations.UND.edu/log...er_6-07-06.html

Ralph would be proud of Chuck...there's obviously a lot of people that have put their heads together to write something like this... bottom line is Chuck needed to put his signature on it. Thank you very much Dr. Charles Kupchella for fighting the good fight.

You might be the first person to take ANY of my posts seriously.

I just read the President's letter. I'm in awe. I'm thinking that the legal minds think they have such an incredible case this letter is a shot across the bow to the NCAA in the hope that they will quietly remove UND from the hated list and both parties can avoid the cost and expense of going to court.

Either that OR, and here's my concern, UND doesn't feel they want to pursue this in court, and this is a bluff hoping that the NCAA will back down now. If not, UND in a few months will quietly make the decision to transform the name because they've decided it's not an appropriate investment of time or money to fight this in court.

Hopefully the former.

Ok I promise not to take anything you say seriously again. But I was impressed with the letter.

Just so you guys now I have to write a paper on the nickname for one of my summer classes. I might need to have you guys help me with finding the info for doing my argument paper. The joy of doing this is going to be great. I have a PC instructur and I know she is going to be the type that bashes me for thinking UND should keep the name. So i also make sure i wear all my sioux gear to class every chance i get.

Normally letters are addressed to a person care of (c/o) a company or organization. The person is a part of a larger entity, the larger entity being the driver or the real power and force, thus the person is under the "care of". (If a company is listed first, a particular intended receiver is listed second and is listed as "Attn: (name here)".)

For example, UND's letter from August 30, 2005:

Given this passage in the letter:

I am quite sure the salutation was a "not so subtle message"!

I agree. I think it's Kupchella's way of saying to NCAA members: Are you going to handle this situation the way that you should or are you going to make UND do it the hard way? Your choice.

Are you going to handle this situation the way that you should or are you going to make UND do it the hard way? Your choice.

Put another way:

"You've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?" ----> Dirty Chuck? :D