SiouxSports.com Forum

Kupchella: Self-righteous NCAA deserves lawsuit

star2city

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I promise not to take anything you say seriously again. But I was impressed with the letter.

Just so you guys now I have to write a paper on the nickname for one of my summer classes. I might need to have you guys help me with finding the info for doing my argument paper. The joy of doing this is going to be great. I have a PC instructur and I know she is going to be the type that bashes me for thinking UND should keep the name. So i also make sure i wear all my sioux gear to class every chance i get.

Rebel :D:D

I agree. I think it's Kupchella's way of saying to NCAA members: Are you going to handle this situation the way that you should or are you going to make UND do it the hard way? Your choice.

That was a GREAT letter!

It appears our president has some huevos!

:D

Kupchella must know of the nickname that some Sioux fans and student sometimes refer to him with. IMO, he used that concept as a metaphor to show what the NCAA is made of, and to show he's more "solid" than what he is typically credited. :D

leaving the NCAA position on even American Indian nicknames about as solid as room-temperature Jell-O

ok, i feel really dumb right now, but SAY WHAT? English version, please?

Huevos is the Spanish word for eggs which is used as slang for b@lls. Cojones is slang for b@lls. Cojones, I think, is used more universally than huevos. Claro que si means (loosely translated) 'absolutely' or 'you got that right' or some thing similar. :D

Just got this letter from Kup.

Dear UND Alum:

I recently sent an open letter to the NCAA regarding the Fighting Sioux logo issue. I wanted to share that letter with you because I know there is a great deal of interest about this topic. You can read the letter in its entirety at this Web site http://www.universityrelations.UND.edu/log...er_6-07-06.html

Thank you for your continued interest in the University of North Dakota.

Sincerely,

Charles E. Kupchella

President

University of North Dakota

Huevos is the Spanish word for eggs which is used as slang for b@lls. Cojones is slang for b@lls. Cojones, I think, is used more universally than huevos. Claro que si means (loosely translated) 'absolutely' or 'you got that right' or some thing similar. :D

exactly: You got that right!

I'm happy that the Prez is steppin' up. I don't know if he'll be able to beat the NC$$, but it's nice to see this probably won't go down without a fight.

Okay, just need to say this: This is just plain embarrassing, both to the University and to the Great State of North Dakota. Kup should be removed.

Whatever....You should try and state a point instead of just making a blanket statement. He should not be removed. The University nor the Great State of North Dakota should not be embarressed. He is doing the right thing and the NCAA is just wrong and everyone on this site(or most of us)know that it is wrong.

Okay, just need to say this: This is just plain embarrassing, both to the University and to the Great State of North Dakota. Kup should be removed.

Allowing the condemnation that we are 'hostile or abusive' to stand without defending our Great State of North DAKOTA and University would be embarassing.

Your statement out of the blue is without substance and is hostile and abusive. As such you are embarassing. OK, just needed to be said.

And you live where? Oregon? Or the "Great State of North Dakota"?

What difference is my state of residence? I'm a Nodak and always will be. Western ND raised, Sioux grad, now living in Portland because of opportunity. I'm still very proud of my home.

In college in the late 80's, early 90's, I was very proud of the "Sioux" name. But over the years, I've come to connect it with lots of turmoil. Maybe it would be best to drop the name, come up with something more appropriate and be able to talk about athletics without the hostility of name always coming up.

You have any other comments to go with this? You should give an explanation as to why you think this is embarrassing. Those of us on this message board and Dr. K feel quite strong about keeping the name and tradition of the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux. Be prepared to answer any comments that are sure to follow.

Of course you can always return to (or stay in) your state of "Orygun".

You have any other comments to go with this? You should give an explanation as to why you think this is embarrassing. Those of us on this message board and Dr. K feel quite strong about keeping the name and tradition of the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux. Be prepared to answer any comments that are sure to follow.

Of course you can always return to (or stay in) your state of "Orygun".

I'll stay in Orygun, thank you very much. There's less need to act tough all of the time. Get over yourself.

The good Dr. K ought to be spending more of his time reaching out to the NCAA, rather than making threats and alienating himself and the University. If we DO decide to go DI in all sports, what conference will take us with this mascot issue and a belligerent president. Remember, it is the presidents that make the call.

There's no need to attack a dissenting view, even if it's from a girl that's smarter than you.

Sheesh...

I have to agree Orygun Sue about this. Although I think a lawsuit is probably a waste of time and money, I can at least understand where UND is coming from going to court over it.

I can't understand though, why Kup. would write a letter in the manner he did. Like running your mouth to the NCAA is going to get you anything. There's a reason that people in power speak diplomatically, and theres a reason that letters like the one that Kupchella don't get sent out by responisible administrators. The tone of the letter he sent out borders on immature and childish, and there was absolutely no reason for it. The only thing it accomplished was letting members of this website beat there chests, and only God knows how much harm it has caused UND for the future.

I know that alot of people are probably going to blast me for this, but I don't really care. Theres are reason that President Bush doesn't tell Iran, "You arrogant moron's better get rid of those nukes yesterday, or I'm going to blow you straight to hell", even though many people would like to hear that, and it would make many americans feel good. Talking like that takes away any chance of compromise in the future, and I've learned that taking away future opportunities for something as stupid as what this letter's purpose was, is always a bad idea.

How do you think your future dealings with the NCAA are going to go? Not just with the name issue, but maybe with D-I transition issues? Or maybe with some of the assignments for tournaments 10 years from now. If you don't think the NCAA will remember this, than you don't understand what you're dealing with. And I'm not saying all of this will happen, or even any of it. But if one of these things does happen, was it worth it. Was the risk of one these things happening worth a letter that accomplished absolutely nothing?

How do you think you appear to the outside world? One side is the NCAA talking in normal business like way, and the other side is UND screaming that the NCAA is a bunch of arrogant idiots for not letting them use an indian mascot. You come off looking like a bunch of crazed people that have been in ND too long. Again, thats not what I think, thats how Kuppy just presented you.

Sorry this is getting long, but it just floors me that someone with a Ph.D. could be stupid enough to act like this. There is a way to accomplish things, and this is not it. He's not being tough, he's not being passionate, he was just stupid, and didn't accomplish a single thing except for making any compromise almost impossible. Congratulations.

I'll stay in Orygun, thank you very much. There's less need to act tough all of the time. Get over yourself.

The good Dr. K ought to be spending more of his time reaching out to the NCAA, rather than making threats and alienating himself and the University. If we DO decide to go DI in all sports, what conference will take us with this mascot issue and a belligerent president. Remember, it is the presidents that make the call.

There's no need to attack a dissenting view, even if it's from a girl that's smarter than you.Sheesh...

I didnt "attack" your view, I was just looking for a deeper explanation for your comment. The "smarter than you" comment seemed like an attack more than anythig else.

I have to agree Orygun Sue about this. Although I think a lawsuit is probably a waste of time and money, I can at least understand where UND is coming from going to court over it.

I can't understand though, why Kup. would write a letter in the manner he did. Like running your mouth to the NCAA is going to get you anything. There's a reason that people in power speak diplomatically, and theres a reason that letters like the one that Kupchella don't get sent out by responisible administrators. The tone of the letter he sent out borders on immature and childish, and there was absolutely no reason for it. The only thing it accomplished was letting members of this website beat there chests, and only God knows how much harm it has caused UND for the future.

I know that alot of people are probably going to blast me for this, but I don't really care. Theres are reason that President Bush doesn't tell Iran, "You arrogant moron's better get rid of those nukes yesterday, or I'm going to blow you straight to hell", even though many people would like to hear that, and it would make many americans feel good. Talking like that takes away any chance of compromise in the future, and I've learned that taking away future opportunities for something as stupid as what this letter's purpose was, is always a bad idea.

How do you think your future dealings with the NCAA are going to go? Not just with the name issue, but maybe with D-I transition issues? Or maybe with some of the assignments for tournaments 10 years from now. If you don't think the NCAA will remember this, than you don't understand what you're dealing with. And I'm not saying all of this will happen, or even any of it. But if one of these things does happen, was it worth it. Was the risk of one these things happening worth a letter that accomplished absolutely nothing?

How do you think you appear to the outside world? One side is the NCAA talking in normal business like way, and the other side is UND screaming that the NCAA is a bunch of arrogant idiots for not letting them use an indian mascot. You come off looking like a bunch of crazed people that have been in ND too long. Again, thats not what I think, thats how Kuppy just presented you.

Sorry this is getting long, but it just floors me that someone with a Ph.D. could be stupid enough to act like this. There is a way to accomplish things, and this is not it. He's not being tough, he's not being passionate, he was just stupid, and didn't accomplish a single thing except for making any compromise almost impossible. Congratulations.

Blah blah blah blah

Isn't time for you to go on vacation without internet access again? Or how about hating UND in silence.

CK is peeved because UND prepared a very detailed second appeal and it was largely ignored (NCAA pretty much came out and said so), and the NCAA has said that ALL appeals have been exhausted. Add to it that the NCAA has had absolutely no continuity of thought since they announced this policy and CK and every one that has been paying attention realizes that henceforth there is no point whatever in "good will".

That's the whole point. The only way to get anywhere is through legal action. The NCAA has no business doing what it did. Guilt felt by a few white people about something that no one living now ever did is now basis for doing anything. Maybe those who determine that "There are better things to be spending time and money on" or "let's just focus on education" should direct those arguments to the various professors and other leeches on the state dole who should be teaching .... gasp .... My tax dollars do not go for them to waste state resources on "protesting." They should be driven out into the private sector where they have to earn their keep and where they do not have time to fixate on faniciful issues such as this. Two hoots to them. The lawsuit is long overdue and the NC00 weenies will be feeling something warm trickling down their legs.