SiouxSports.com Forum

2006 Men's BB

UND Fan

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is over...Tough way to end

I really thought the Men's Team were going to make some noise in the NCC tourney.

They did not compete in the 2nd half and lost to Duluth 85-63.

There is always next year,with everyone returning it should be interesting.

That's a good thing? I bet coach starts recruiting for the move to DI and you'll see some new faces.

Of course it is a good thing. We have good low post size, and great athleticism at all positions. The only thing this team is lacking is a true point guard. Also, the end of this season would have ended differently if it were not due to injuries. I hate to use that as an excuse but we had no depth down low during the end of the season.

This is just speculation on my part, but really, what are the odds that all eight seniors-to-be (Doyle, Koenig, Hoy, Gutter, Dryburgh, Little, Boyce and Youmans) will be returning next year? I don't see it happening. For one thing, that's far too many players in one class. Secondly, does a new coach really have the patience to play two seasons with basically an inherited team? That would be quite unusual if he was THAT patient, particularly coming off an 11-17 season. One way or another, I have to think spots will be opened up so that Jones and his staff can bring in two or three impact players for next year.

This is just speculation on my part, but really, what are the odds that all eight seniors-to-be (Doyle, Koenig, Hoy, Gutter, Dryburgh, Little, Boyce and Youmans) will be returning next year? I don't see it happening. For one thing, that's far too many players in one class. Secondly, does a new coach really have the patience to play two seasons with basically an inherited team? That would be quite unusual if he was THAT patient, particularly coming off an 11-17 season. One way or another, I have to think spots will be opened up so that Jones and his staff can bring in two or three impact players for next year.

Isn't eight seniors actually an enviable position for the exploratory year? The following year, Jones could bring in a class with 2 or 3 DI-ineligible JC transfer (who if they sign by July 1st, would be able to play DI), 1-2 DI transfers (who, if signed by July 1st, would be immediately eligible for the DI transition) as well as 4-5 HS recruits, that if they redshirt, would actually be eligible for post-season play in their senior year.

Isn't eight seniors actually an enviable position for the exploratory year? The following year, Jones could bring in a class with 2 or 3 DI-ineligible JC transfer (who if they sign by July 1st, would be able to play DI), 1-2 DI transfers (who, if signed by July 1st, would be immediately eligible for the DI transition) as well as 4-5 HS recruits, that if they redshirt, would actually be eligible for post-season play in their senior year.

Certainly there would be some positives to such a large senior class next year. I'm thinking more along the lines of the importance of having a really good year next year, to create some buzz and fan enthusiasm prior to what will inevitably be some tough seasons, i.e. weak home schedules. This year's team finished at 11-17, and and although there was progress, the last two games did overshadow that progress to an extent. How realistic is it for the current group to win 22-plus games, contend in the NCC and earn a regional bid? I'm not sure. But I think that has to be the goal. When Jones was hired, he presumably wasn't in a position to really know what the level of talent was in the program, and there really wasn't time to bring in multiple impact players, anyway. Now, he knows what he has, what their capabilities are, and what he needs to add. I'm certainly not advocating wholesale changes, and I don't WANT any player's scholarship pulled or reduced, but I think the reality is that any new coach is going to want to bring in the players to play his style ASAP. The bottom line is that whether right or wrong, I expect some scholarship money will be freed up so that some impact players can be brought in for 2007-08.

Little definately wasn't a surprise. He played strong ALL season. Boyce on the other hand seems a little out of the blue, I'm sure there was someone more rewarding then him to deserve that honor.

I agree. Little deserved recognition for his consistent play all season long. He seemed to be the driving force behind the team. Boyce is a little shocking, and the honor is a surprise. Was there anyone better suited to receive this award?

I agree. Little deserved recognition for his consistent play all season long. He seemed to be the driving force behind the team. Boyce is a little shocking, and the honor is a surprise. Was there anyone better suited to receive this award?

I guess we have to defer to the judgment of the league coaches, who pick these awards. For a newcomer on a team that finished tied for last in the conference to be recognized in this way, he must have been doing something pretty impressive.

I would agree with your comment. Although this year's team had some talent, it was obvious that the squad needs a couple of leaders - players that will "step up" and turn those close losses into wins. I am not sure another year of all these guys "playing together" is the answer.

For those who saw the team play often, who do you think may not be back? I would guess that Doyle is questionable due to his injury!

I certainly do not mean this as a shot at Brian Jones whatsoever, so I hope nobody takes it as such. But I had to point out that Craig Smith, a guy who was deemed not to be even qualified enough to get past the initial review of resume's last spring for the UND job, just took Mayville State to the national tournament for the third year in a row, this time getting all the way to the national championship game, and was selected NAIA dII coach of the year. I'm not saying he's better than Jones, but clearly he was more deserving of an interview than at least one of the finalists. I still can't believe how stupid it was to implement a rigid criterion (x years NCAA coaching experience), and not even consider coaches whose primary experience was at the NAIA or juco (or even pro, apparently) levels.

I certainly do not mean this as a shot at Brian Jones whatsoever, so I hope nobody takes it as such. But I had to point out that Craig Smith, a guy who was deemed not to be even qualified enough to get past the initial review of resume's last spring for the UND job, just took Mayville State to the national tournament for the third year in a row, this time getting all the way to the national championship game, and was selected NAIA dII coach of the year. I'm not saying he's better than Jones, but clearly he was more deserving of an interview than at least one of the finalists. I still can't believe how stupid it was to implement a rigid criterion (x years NCAA coaching experience), and not even consider coaches whose primary experience was at the NAIA or juco (or even pro, apparently) levels.

As a Bison fan, I am extremely happy you guys didn't hire Craig Smith. He will likely be a top candidate, if not the guy, at NDSU when Miles decides to leave, and that could be as early as this offseason. He runs a system similiar to Miles', and is a very likeable guy in recruiting as well.

Good luck through your transition. If I'm correct, you still have 1 year playing in the NCC. I will be interested to see if Coach Jones tries to shoot for the D1 recruits, or goes the JC route. NDSU had their hardest year recruiting, going into that least season in the NCC.

Whether the transition is a struggle, or whether it's pain free, I think you guys will enjoy the significantly more athletic recruits that come in with D1.

Looking ahead in that div 1 crystal ball...(10-12 years from now)

If we are lucky enough to get into the Mid-Con or Big Sky...

Then lucky enough to Win the conference tourney...

We can then get hammered by a BCS conference camp like Oral Roberts and Weber State did today...

Bright side plan a spring golf trip, or there will always be Hockey..!

• 2 weeks later...
With Steve Alford taking the job at New Mexico, I would think the chances are pretty good that UND will be making a few trips to Albuquerque in coming years.

That would be great. One would think that with Coach Jones'/UND ties to Northern Iowa (alma mater/Jacobson/Glas), New Mexico (Alford), and Iowa State (McDermott) that games against those 3 schools could be a pretty decent chance of taking place during the transition. Are there any other former UND players or coaches on other DI staffs around the country?