SiouxSports.com Forum

2006 Men's BB

UND Fan

Looking ahead a litle bit, there is a good chance that the men will enter NCC play on a 9 game winning streak. Currently on a 3 game streak, they have Dickinson, Mary, Minot, Bemidji, Western Oregon, and Central Washington on the slate before league play starts. It would be disappointing to lose any of the next 4 games, and judging by resuts only, Western Oregon looks to be struggling, and Central Washington looks to be a team that scores a lot of points and gives them up just the same. Again, it is premature and perhaps the teams are down, but when was the last time a 9 game winning streak was speculated about and looked like it could possibly be in the cards? 11-4 would be an excellent 1st half given expectations were so low.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I now hear that Harkins may try to get a medical year, and not play this year.

I would think that he would sit out the year. He really hasn't run in months so he has to be weeks away from being in condition to play. He has talent, we would be much better giving him the full year to recover and hope he can contribute at a major level for the next three years.

I would think that he would sit out the year. He really hasn't run in months so he has to be weeks away from being in condition to play. He has talent, we would be much better giving him the full year to recover and hope he can contribute at a major level for the next three years.

Although a good plan, it is unlikely he would receive another year from the NCAA with the pending move to Division I. There are very, very, very few cases where an athlete receives a 6th year back from the NCAA in DI. If you'll remember, Taylor Murray was in a similar situation this past year and transferred to UND from SDSU because he had another semester to compete in D2, but not in DI.

Although a good plan, it is unlikely he would receive another year from the NCAA with the pending move to Division I. There are very, very, very few cases where an athlete receives a 6th year back from the NCAA in DI. If you'll remember, Taylor Murray was in a similar situation this past year and transferred to UND from SDSU because he had another semester to compete in D2, but not in DI.

But wouldn't he be applying for the medical redshirt under DII rules?

A loss to U of Mary!! Losses last year to Mayville & Minot. And a pending move up to DI. Maybe it should be a move down.

At the same point in their transition ndsu had some embarrassing losses to I believe Valley City State and UMC- Crookston so maybe we should give the coach a little more time before we start making rash judgements. If there's a program that needs to move down a division it's probably the bison women since they would most likely struggle to stay out of the DAC- 10 cellar this season.

I think the key is to pick up recruits the big schools over look......red shirt EVERYONE so you are loaded up on young guys that can take you on the run up to eligibility and then have a solid group of seniors for year one of post season eligibility. The Bison were absolutely terrible our last year of D2, but that recruiting and redshirting really paid off. I suspect we will get better at beating name teams as we get some more depth off the bench.

Despite UND's performance there is no reason that this can be built up in time for DI post season eligibility.

Maybe I missed something what is up with Josh Doyle, he hasn't played the last 2 games after starting and playing 31 min against Dickinson. Is he injured or what ?

From today's Herald:

The Sioux, 7-5, played without guard Josh Doyle and Mike Gutter. Doyle suffered a back injury during practice last Friday. Gutter, a center, returned home to Milwaukee because of a death in his family.

I wasn't able to make it to the game last night. How does the Dryburgh kid from Lankin look. Is there any potential there?

Yes, he has potential. He's probably always going to have a problem with lack of bulk and strength, but he blocks shots well, and he can shoot pretty well. I think he'll be an effective bench player over the next year and a half.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Koenig is having more trouble getting up and down the court than he was earlier in the season. His limp is very noticeable. I really feel bad for the guy. I'm sure he's giving it everything he has, but he's just not able to perform at the same level he could pre-injury.

I'd like to see Lenhertz get some more playing time. I know he is young and inexperienced, but he is a big body. Not just tall, but he is thick as well. UND has had some tall guys the last few years like Lindahl and Rypkema, now Dryburgh, but these are all skinny guys, not real physical. Lenhertz at the very least can take up some space, get a few rebounds, and maybe block some shots as well. Koenig is obviously not 100%, and probably won't be at all this season, and Gutter has missed alot of time as well due to injury and personal reasons. UND is going to need an inside presence when the conference season starts.

I'd like to see Lenhertz get some more playing time. I know he is young and inexperienced, but he is a big body. Not just tall, but he is thick as well. UND has had some tall guys the last few years like Lindahl and Rypkema, now Dryburgh, but these are all skinny guys, not real physical. Lenhertz at the very least can take up some space, get a few rebounds, and maybe block some shots as well. Koenig is obviously not 100%, and probably won't be at all this season, and Gutter has missed alot of time as well due to injury and personal reasons. UND is going to need an inside presence when the conference season starts.

I don't think we can really count on Koenig being healthy enough to be the player he once was, but I do feel that Gutter can be the answer inside. He's big, strong AND athletic. He's missed several games so far this year, but I don't believe he has any significant history of injuries prior to the upper body injury he suffered earlier this year. Eventually, I think we'll see a starting lineup of Gutter, Little, Boyce, Kruse and Youmans. I doubt there would be a more athletic group in the NCC.

I don't think we can really count on Koenig being healthy enough to be the player he once was, but I do feel that Gutter can be the answer inside. He's big, strong AND athletic. He's missed several games so far this year, but I don't believe he has any significant history of injuries prior to the upper body injury he suffered earlier this year. Eventually, I think we'll see a starting lineup of Gutter, Little, Boyce, Kruse and Youmans. I doubt there would be a more athletic group in the NCC.

I agree that there is potential there, and especially with Gutter. My worry is that I believe that upper body injury was a broken rib. That can linger for a long long time. Very uncomfortable. I'd like to see a starting line-up of Gutter, Koenig, Boyce, Little, and Youmans; with Kruse, Dryburgh, Doyle, and Lenhertz seeing alot of time.

I agree that there is potential there, and especially with Gutter. My worry is that I believe that upper body injury was a broken rib. That can linger for a long long time. Very uncomfortable. I'd like to see a starting line-up of Gutter, Koenig, Boyce, Little, and Youmans; with Kruse, Dryburgh, Doyle, and Lenhertz seeing alot of time.

Gutter and Koenig cannot be on the floor together other then for brief moments. They are very similar, physical players. Whoever guards the opposing 4 man is going to be in big trouble in that situation. That lineup lacks a real outside shooting presence other then Youmans. Coach Jones is doing a fine job managing the hand dealt to him by constant injuries.

Gutter and Koenig cannot be on the floor together other then for brief moments. They are very similar, physical players. Whoever guards the opposing 4 man is going to be in big trouble in that situation. That lineup lacks a real outside shooting presence other then Youmans. Coach Jones is doing a fine job managing the hand dealt to him by constant injuries.

You make a good point about the Gutter and Koenig. But, on the flip side, against alot of teams, isn't the 4 man guarding Gutter or Koenig down low going to also be in big trouble? I think that the NCC has alot of #4 position players who should probably be playing the #3 spot. If Gutter and Koenig could get healthy, I think they could present some match-up problems offensively in leauge play. But you're right, the two of them could be liabilities defensively against smaller forwards. I just think big guys inside is the best way to win games. UND has three of the biggest post players in the NCC with Gutter, Koenig, and Lenhertz.