SiouxSports.com Forum

2006 Men's BB

UND Fan

Considering the season runs 20-30 games, you'd like to think they could pull out more than a few of them.

I don't think anybody is trying to blow any smoke here, or claim this season is anything better than what it is. However, when a team has been in a position to win all of its conference games, only to lose most of them by being out-played late in the second half, or by missing free throws, then clearly it's a reason for optimism to finally pull one out, on the road, short-handed, against the second-place team in the conference.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The win at St Cloud last nite was a AWESOME exhibition of a "refuse to lose attitude" this team seem to inspire last nite.

Was at the game, it was dominated by the Sioux for for 37 minutes or so.... always up between 8-15 points. They got a start now of how to get the monkey off their back and how to hold on and finish the last 5 minutes of a game.

Most impressed with how the Coaching staff was able to handle the short bench with injury to Doyle and disciplinary action for the Youmans and Lehnertz . It shows the Coach Jones and his staff are going to run a program will can all be proud of, do things the right way all the time, and nobody is bigger than the TEAM.

In my 27 years of watching Sioux Basktball this win ranks up there along with some of the most impressive. St Cloud is a top regional team and a tough place to play (ask Roebuck).

Congrats Boys, keep up the hard work.

The way that this team has played this year, they could just as easily be sitting with a 5-2 NCC record this year rather than at 2-5. When the NCC tourney starts, nobody is going to want to play this Sioux team. Looking ahead, we have home games left against Auggie, Duluth, and USD, and road games against UNO & Duluth. It is not entirely out of the realm of possiblities that UND could go 4-1 over their last five games. Augustana still has to play Minnesota St., SCSU, and USD. If UND takes care of business, we could possibly finish as high as 4th and get a home game in the NCC tourney. A win against Auggie this week would put us in a tie for fourth place.

I see in Bakken's blog that he said that the reason Youmens & Lenhertz are suspended was due to some sort of "skirmish".

Youmans and deep reserve Ben Lehnertz were left in Grand Forks after they got into a skirmish on the team bus shortly before it was to leave.

According to Kevin Fee's blog today, Youmans and Lehnertz will be held out again for this Saturday's game against UMD, and thus, the Sioux will be down to seven players. I certainly don't envy Brian Jones in this situation. On the one hand, you have two players who have apparently done something severe enough to have warranted being suspended for at least 25% of the conference season. On the other hand, particularly with the additional injuries that have now been suffered by Koenig and Dryburgh, you're in a situation where you have essentially no depth remaining. So in essence, it's the other team members who are also being punished by being placed in a situation that is becoming dangerously close to unwinnable. I'm not sure how you balance these two seemingly irreconcilable interests, i.e. punishing the guility, while also attempting to minimize the collateral damage to the rest of the team. I don't have the answers, but as stated I'm just glad I'm not in Jones' situation.

Wonder what it is that they did? I know that they got into a fight as the bus was about to leave last week, but maybe the reason for the fight is the real problem? On the coach's show on Wednesday night Jones was pretty animate about not waiting around for some "guys to get it and buy into the program". Talked a lot about building a foundation and that no one was bigger than the program, from him as head coach to the student managers.

The boys have been playing great lately. Who is your favorite player? Least favorite? I love watching Emmanuel Little play. He works hard, and is always there for rebounds. Another I love to watch is Mark Kruse when he's on his game. My least favorite is Harry Boyce. His antics on the court are neither entertaining or motivating. There's a fine line between being a character player and taking it too far.

It was kind of a disappointing loss today, even as short-handed as the Sioux were. Duluth is a team you really need to beat at home. It was something of an unfortunate set of circumstances that had UND playing a team that was completely fresh after not playing on Thursday, because obviously with such a short bench and the starters having to play so many minutes, the legs were going to be somewhat tired today. The bottom line is that it's very difficult to win when you need your starters to score 70 points to have much of a chance to win. The main positive that can be taken from the suspensions is that Bledsoe has really elevated his game. He's going to be a good one.

Hello Sioux Fans,

Get ready for Thursday as USD and UND get ready to battle. The Coyotes have the conference lead coming in but UND has a very talented team and if you put it all together could play spoiler to the Coyotes conference championship aspirations. The Coyotes just got done putting the hammer down against the Huskies and now have a long bus ride up to Grand Forks. What do the Sioux Fans think of this game. The USD women seem to be overrated and just aren't playing that great. I think the Sioux women will dismantle the Coyotes in the game, especially coming off that loss to Augie. I'll go with UND 79-54 in the womens game and I'll take the Coyotes 81-68 in the mens game.

Duluth is a team you really need to beat at home.

It is so sad that the UND men do not have a home court advantage. The "Betty" is full for the women's games and then the men come out and half the crowd has left; Then for some reason fans decide to leave at halftime. It would be nice if hockey was not the main reason to root for the sioux. A lot of people call themselves hardcore sioux fans and just watch hockey. GF has to be the only town in the coutry that has more fans at their women's games then their men's....its sad to me.

It is so sad that the UND men do not have a home court advantage. The "Betty" is full for the women's games and then the men come out and half the crowd has left; Then for some reason fans decide to leave at halftime. It would be nice if hockey was not the main reason to root for the sioux. A lot of people call themselves hardcore sioux fans and just watch hockey. GF has to be the only town in the coutry that has more fans at their women's games then their men's....its sad to me.

A large number of fans leaving either immediately after the women's game, or at least well before the end of the men's game, really only started within the last few years. I guess it was a form of silent protest of the product they were seeing on the court during the last few years of Rich Glas's tenure. Unfortunately, although they got what they wanted--a coaching change--they are not giving Jones and the team a chance, or else they would see that the team is better and more exciting to watch, although the overall record doesn't really reflect that. I guess it just shows that once a culture of losing sets in, it's very difficult to win back the confidence of the casual fan. I'm certainly not excusing the fact that people continue to leave, as it baffles me, but I don't think it's unique to Grand Forks under this particular set of circumstances.

I agree. But comparing this years team to last years, this team is far more exciting, athletic, and fun to watch. Im excited to see what Jones can do with recruiting considering he still has quite a few of Glas' holdovers. Bringing in guys like Little, Bledsoe, Youmans, and Boyce who get out there and run the floor and give a good effort on defense night in and night out is hopefully just a tast of what is to come. Its just too bad that they couldnt pull out a couple of those close games....

Four hours is a long time for people to sit: three hours is the maximum attention span for most. Instead of coming at halftime of the women's game, they reprogrammed themselves to come an hour earlier. Glas should have been replaced years before: unfortunately the men's program was unduly harmed by continual underperformance and uninspired play. Thankfully, Jones seems to have the program on an upward trajectory again.

If they continue to make improvements like they did this year, the fans will come back. As they keep winning it will draw fans in. During the transition, playing good teams on the road close will even draw more fans to home games. I think there is only an upside to the mens program for the future.

My favorite players to watch are Youmans, Koenig and Doyle. Unfortunately all have been out of the line up lately. Youmans continuously works hard, and has great ball control. Koenig is a very physical presence on the floor, and dominates under the net. Doyle's shooting is second to none, and reads the play very well. My least favorite player to watch is also Boyce. He's a strong player but as bigsiouxfan said, his antics on the court are undesirable. I find that his actions overshadow his play, and sometimes throw him off his game. However, the team has been doing very good lately, and are having a strong last stretch. Go Sioux.

If they continue to make improvements like they did this year, the fans will come back. As they keep winning it will draw fans in. During the transition, playing good teams on the road close will even draw more fans to home games. I think there is only an upside to the mens program for the future.

I think that Coach Jones has a done a good job to date and do think that things will improve with the Men's team. With that said the transition will be tough and Sioux fans need to be prepared for that. NDSU has shown some success, but if you look at the latest RPI, two other former NCC teams are not faring so well. Of the 336 teams, Northern Colorado is #336 and SDSU is #326. The fans may need to have some patience.

I think that Coach Jones has a done a good job to date and do think that things will improve with the Men's team. With that said the transition will be tough and Sioux fans need to be prepared for that. NDSU has shown some success, but if you look at the latest RPI, two other former NCC teams are not faring so well. Of the 336 teams, Northern Colorado is #336 and SDSU is #326. The fans may need to have some patience.

Do you think that having hockey will help or hurt the fans patience. In a place like NDSU with no other winter sports, basketball is the only thing to follow in winter. If you progress slowly, like SDSU and UNC, I can see the fans becoming restless. AT UND, however, hockey is bigger than basketball. With the attention placed on hockey and not bball, will the fans be more apt to give the program time to adjust? Or will they become even more in love with hockey thus leaving basketball to suffer in the long run? I would like to say it will be the first option, but I am not sure.

Sioux down by 6 was down by 4 and had 3 free throws and only made 1 then SD missed there free thows and idk what little was thinking but he lost the ball directly to a SD player and then they got the free throws to mkae it a 6 poitn lead. Very easily could be tied rite now