SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Herald Coverage of DI Decision

tony

Has there been any discussion about UND going DI in pages of the Grand Forks Herald?

If so, what is their position and reasoning?

If not, what gives? I mean, they had plenty to say when NDSU was deciding... they must have run six anti-DI editorials. You'd think this would be a story that UND folks would have interest in having debated in public, but it seems like Hallstrom is the only one doing any work.

Hehe, is the Herald still waiting to hear what their opinion is?

Hehe, is the Herald still waiting to hear what their opinion is?

Sort of like the contract between NDSU and the Forum (reported by Brandon Misener of d2football.com that two people he trusted had seen the contract) that contains agreements that the Forum write X amount of stories about NDSU (obviously not all athletic) which NDSU must approve.

Sort of like the contract between NDSU and the Forum (reported by Brandon Misener of d2football.com that two people he trusted had seen the contract) that contains agreements that the Forum write X amount of stories about NDSU (obviously not all athletic) which NDSU must approve.

From Brandon Misener (d2football) and nd4life, an UND poster all on the AnyGivenSaturday.com UND move-up thread.

Originally Posted by D2Football

By the way, I am going to ND in about three weeks. I'll make my source produce the contract. If he can't I'll retract the statement regarding the contract, which really isn't a criticism of NDSU anyway.

It's time to put this rumor to rest. Speaking as someone who had knowledge of The Forum's newsroom operations until a year ago, I can say with 100 percent certainty that no such contract exists. For that matter, there is no newsroom in the country that would enter into such a contract. That's simply not how newspapers work. There may indeed be other contracts between The Forum and NDSU concerning advertising and event sponsorships and what are called "tradeouts" in the industry. But the notion that a newspaper would agree to a deal with any business or institution mandating a specified level of news coverage is laughable.

IMHO, The GF Herald hopefully is riding this decision process and pushing for a very open decision process. This should be the biggest news issue in Grand Forks now that spring flooding is over.

Didn't UND have a huge banner ad at the top of the Fargo Forum's on-line sports page for the last year, or so? Can anyone image an NDSU ad plastered all over the GF Herald's website?

A UND announcement is tentatively scheduled for May 16th. The committee supposedly sent Kupchella their report last week.

I would suspect that the Herald will have more coverage preceding and after that date.

My predictions remain:

Kupchella (very reluctantly ) will announce a DI move on the 16th (possibly contingent on obtaining conference affiliation).

One week later, on May 23rd, the Big Sky will announce an interest in expansion.

By late summer, possibly fall, the Big Sky will announce the addition of UND, NDSU, and SDSU.

A UND announcement is tentatively scheduled for May 16th. The committee supposedly sent Kupchella their report last week.

I would suspect that the Herald will have move coverage preceding and after that date.

My predictions remain:

Kupchella (very reluctantly ) will announce a DI move on the 16th (possibly contingent on obtaining conference affiliation).

One week later, on May 23rd, the Big Sky will announce an erest in expansion.

By late summer, possibly fall, the Big Sky will announce the addition of UND, NDSU, and SDSU.

If that's true why hasn't the gfherald got the report, since it should be available to all the public at anytime?

If that's true why hasn't the gfherald got the report, since it should be available to all the public at anytime?

It looks to me like star2city is simply making a prediction...if all this comes true we may have a new Nostradamus or someone who is paying attention and sees that this may make a whole lot of sense to everyone involved.

It looks to me like stat2city is simply making a prediction...if all this comes true we may have a new Nostradamus or someone who is paying attention and sees that this may make a whole lot of sense to everyone involved.

It was just a prediction based on hunches, past and future events, and circumstantial evidence. I don't have Kupchella's office bugged or anything. :D

Same question could hold for any paper in the region.

My answer to the question:

Because local media throughout this region can't dig a story, much less know where to look for one.

If it doesn't come in as a press release on their fax machine don't expect a report. (And I'm slamming everyone, print, radio, TV, with that.)

Because local media throughout this region can't dig a story, much less know where to look for one.

If it doesn't come in as a press release on their fax machine don't expect a report. (And I'm slamming everyone, print, radio, TV, with that.)

I'll have to agree with you 100%. :D

My non-flaming read on the situation is that NDSU (for better or worse) welcomed and sought media attention during their decision making process while UND (for better or worse) is playing it much closer to the vest. I think this is a direct reflection on the different personalities of the two presidents. I don't know that there is an advantage of one approach over the other, they're just different.

I think this is a direct reflection on the different personalities of the two presidents. I don't know that there is an advantage of one approach over the other, they're just different.

Joe Chapman -- Press release!

Charles Kupchella -- No press release.

Seems accurate.

IMHO, one answer to this whole thread is that the Herald reporter who started covering this issue early on has been deployed with the National Guard to serve in Iraq for the next 15 months. Other reporters or editors must not have the knowledge or interest to pick up where he left off. And their sports dept. is just plain too lazy, too short staffed and too close to UND sources to write anything about it.

Sad but true.

At this point, I'm doubtful of two things:

1) UND will announce a move to DI.

I don't think this will happen until UND gets a new president. That could be sooner rather than later, but not this year.

2) Big Sky announcing that they will expand.

I don't think the west presidents will allow it. Maybe when Sac State leaves for DI-A, but until then, probably not.

This is true for almost all the papers. I live in Maryland and it certainly is true for the Washington Post and the Baltimore Sun. They do have investigative reports (opinion pieces) but not for sports.

With this: DI Task Force

"If we want to, we can fine-tune it or tweak it before it gets to the president," said Don Kojich, a task force member. Kojich said the group would like to get a report to UND President Charles Kupchella "as quickly as possible," and estimated that it would happen in the next two weeks.
My predictions need to change: :D

Seems like the 16th is more likely the date the Task Force report will be forwarded to Kupchella.

With that, it seems likely that there will be Big Sky meeting prior to Kupchella making a "decision."

My predictions remain:

One week later, on May 23rd, the Big Sky will announce whether it has an interest in expansion.

If yes , Kupchella (very reluctantly ) will announce a DI move on the 16th.

By delaying any decision till after the Big Sky meetings, the NCC will still have some semblance of stability if UND stays DII.

Hehehe, I'm kind of a trouble-maker, but I really do think that the Grand Forks Herald failed as journalists with their coverage of NDSU's and UND's decision-making process. Lack of staff is no excuse. If they have the manpower for extensive coverage of Springfest, there is no excuse for complete silence of the DI issue, especially seeing has how they could not stop yapping about NDSU's move ("Folly! Hubris! Heck, it's worse than either, it's Fyoobris!").

Where are the staltwart defenders of the public good who put pen to paper to expound on these mighty themes?

"For the record: Costs outweigh D-I benefits"

"Bisons' D-I move doesn't make sense"

"EDITORIAL: Division I Say no!"

"EDITORIAL: [DI is a] 'Sucker's game'

OTOH, if UND does have a conference lined up and does go DI, that is great news for NDSU and SDSU so good luck with that!

http://www.in-forum.com/specials/d1decision/

Hehehe, I'm kind of a trouble-maker, but I really do think that the Grand Forks Herald failed as journalists with their coverage of NDSU's and UND's decision-making process. Lack of staff is no excuse. If they have the manpower for extensive coverage of Springfest, there is no excuse for complete silence of the DI issue, especially seeing has how they could not stop yapping about NDSU's move ("Folly! Hubris! Heck, it's worse than either, it's Fyoobris!").

Where are the staltwart defenders of the public good who put pen to paper to expound on these mighty themes?

OTOH, if UND does have a conference lined up and does go DI, that is great news for NDSU and SDSU so good luck with that!

NDSU fans sure spend a lot of time worrying about UND and Grand Forks. They just seem obsessed about us. They spend a lot more time talking about our issues than we do. I guess they just can't get along without us. It's actually quite funny.

NDSU fans sure spend a lot of time worrying about UND and Grand Forks. They just seem obsessed about us. They spend a lot more time talking about our issues than we do. I guess they just can't get along without us. It's actually quite funny.

Are you saying UND's division classification has no impact on NDSU?

I don't know how they've failed since their is no news yet. The report hasn't been issued. Kupchella hasn't made a decision. There was no consultant's report to ignore. The Herald can't just fabricate stuff. They could talk to coaches and staff, but they would merely be speculation, not news reporting.

Hey, nodakvindy, I wouldn't expect that the Herald report on what UND's decision is going to be - that's exactly what newspapers shouldn't do (print rumors). One of the jobs of newspapers is to aid informed debate on matters that affect their readers, that's all. I kinda think the Herald failed to do that when NDSU was deciding on DI and they failed again with UND. They just did it in different ways.

:0 More on the Sioux possible move - Thanks 89rabbit for this!! :D

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandf...s/14550002.htm

COLLEGE ATHLETICS: Division I can wait

Even if the Sioux move to D-I, they would play in NCC at least two more years

By Kevin Fee

Herald Staff Writer

Before UND could make a move to NCAA Division I, it would have to give the Division II North Central Conference an 18-month notice that it was departing for the big time.

The earliest UND could play a full-fledged Division I schedule would be in the 2008-09 school year, unless it wants to pay penalties to the NCC.

That is if the school decided it could come up with the finances and eventually find a suitable conference.

UND's NCAA Classification Task Force released a draft report that showed the pros and cons of the school moving all of its athletic programs to Division I. UND is Division I only in men's and women's hockey now. . . . (read more)

This is a good solution for the Sioux if they choose to move up. Gives them an additional year to find a conference home. By then, hopefully NDSU/SDSU are firmly in a conference for all-sports. And in actuality, if that is the mid-con/GWFC combo, that could be a workable place for the Sioux in the 2010-2013 timeframe, when they're first eligible for play-offs (assuming transition year would be 2008).

Rabid Rabbit