SiouxSports.com Forum

Spirko not returning

Kramerdog

OK, kids, study hall is over so everyone open up your math books and turn to page 75...

What's sad is these kids get scholarships ("scholar" as in academic) to play sports when so many of them really have no aspirations of getting a degree. They are just there to fine tune their hockey game and get noticed by the pros...the whole situation of so called athletic "scholar"ships needs to be revisted and addressed ASAP in my opinion. If they are to continue being given to athletes who are just going to leave school early for so called "greener" pastures, I think they aren't deserving of a scholarship in the first place. Give it to someone wanting and intending to complete their education with the scholarship, not some athlete that doesn't care about the student side of things.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree very much so. but look at Smaby,Porter,Fabian,Stafford etc. that have all had academic recognition. it is the majority though, as you said and i agree with your point. if they ever get hurt to where they cant play in the NHL, it would be really nice for them tou have that education to fall back on instead of them having to come back to college for 1,2, years to finish the degree. I understand that some of them are ready to go early, but if they would stay the full 4 years, they get the education and (considering they wanted to leave early but chose to stay) that they would be that much more ready to go to the next level. But when the contracts up your junior, there isnt much yoyu can do. the situation is different for a lot of people.

What's sad is these kids get scholarships ("scholar" as in academic) to play sports when so many of them really have no aspirations of getting a degree. They are just there to fine tune their hockey game and get noticed by the pros...the whole situation of so called athletic "scholar"ships needs to be revisted and addressed ASAP in my opinion. If they are to continue being given to athletes who are just going to leave school early for so called "greener" pastures, I think they aren't deserving of a scholarship in the first place. Give it to someone wanting and intending to complete their education with the scholarship, not some athlete that doesn't care about the student side of things.

come on, lets get real here. if a hockey player is ready to go then big friken deal. to say they dont deserve a scholarship is a joke and halarious. it is what it is so deal with it. just because they go pro does not mean they wont get their degree someday and if they choose not, then its knowbodys business but the person who chooses to persue or not persue. if i remember right, there are always a few hockey players that are at UND IN class during off seasons and so forth so to say they do not deserve them is a joke ;)

it is 2006 and things change when it comes to kids leaving early, what are you gona say next...every freshman in college basketball does not deserve a scholly because everyone and their mom knows they are only their because there is a new rule stating they have to go to at least 1 year of college now to get to the NBA......

come on, lets get real here. if a hockey player is ready to go then big friken deal. to say they dont deserve a scholarship is a joke and halarious. it is what it is so deal with it. just because they go pro does not mean they wont get their degree someday and if they choose not, then its knowbodys business but the person who chooses to persue or not persue. if i remember right, there are always a few hockey players that are at UND IN class during off seasons and so forth so to say they do not deserve them is a joke ;)

it is 2006 and things change when it comes to kids leaving early, what are you gona say next...every freshman in college basketball does not deserve a scholly because everyone and their mom knows they are only their because there is a new rule stating they have to go to at least 1 year of college now to get to the NBA......

I'd love to see Hakstol visit a recruit like Toews or Oshie, turn to them and say "My, I'd love to have you play for us, but I don't see you staying in college for more than a year. Sorry."

Heheh That's classic. Sure, the team full of 4 year athletes is nice, but the quality of the game you'll get is alot like something youd see in AHA or CHA. We're UND, not Harvard or Yale so we wouldn't even attract ECACHL quality athletes if we turned away all of those "blue chip" recruits just because we don't think they'll be there four years.

Hakstol recruits the best players that can withstand the rigors of academic and athletic life simultaneously. He goes there pushing BOTH sides of UND life (the classroom and the arena). He has no control over what the NHL teams think of the players he recruits or when his players will "jump ship." He advises them to the best of his abilities and will try to push the 4 year approach, but it is really up to the student more than it is up to the coach or even UND administration.

Scholarships to only 4 year athletes is assinine.

I'd have an easier time agreeing with you save for one critical detail: the grant-in-aid (the NCAA term for what many loosely call a "scholarship") is for one year only. After that year the coach re-evaluates the available grants-in-aid (team-wide) and who is worthy of receiving what. If they were up-front four-year deals you'd have a much better case.

Now, for argument's sake, let's turn this around a bit:

Say a student is given a UND president's scholarship (a real four-year scholarship offer) but invents or creates something fabulous and makes millions upon millions as a sophomore and decides to retire at age 20, including leaving school (and the president's scholarship). Will you be as frustrated with them for going to "'greener' pastures"? Were they undeserving?

What's really sad is this post. Look at any other thread about players leaving early and this issue has been hashed and re-hashed over and over again. There are some very good players that stay four years (Prphc pops right into my mind). However the reality of things is this : elite players like Parise, Toews, Oshie, Stafford, and many others I'm leaving out, are here for a LIMITED time. That is the way things are. As has already been stated, many times, would you trade a Zach, Jonathan, or TJ for another player who will definitely be here four years ? I'm quite certain that the goophs, badgers, or any other upper crust team would be glad to have any of the afformentioned players, even for two years. It is simply the way things are. Dude, I hope you are not a fan of pro sports, the whole free-agency thing might drive you right over the edge.

You need enough good players that will stay 4 yrs to balance things out - It would be Yo Yo Hockey otherwise ;)

Yes, agreed. I meant to put that in my post and omitted it. You do need a mix of "elite, or two year players", with a good base of the four year players in order to make it all work. That way when you have early defections, you still have some experience returning. We have some experience coming back next year, and I look for Oshie, Duncan, Lee, and God willing Toews to take it to another level even higher than last year. I apologize in advance for any of the players I left out, just trying to make a point.

I went to UND to fine tune my engineering skills and get noticed by a "professional organization" too. It just so happens that without completing my degree I was useless to them (they didn't find out till later that WITH the degree I was useless to them too, but by then I was laughing ALL the way to the....oh, wait....never made it to the bank...

Point is, if I was worth big bucks to them after my sophomore year there was nothing at UND that would have kept me there.

hockey makes the university big money and can support its 18 scholarships unlike other sports.

Also I remember a player once saying he took the college route over CHL because it would be easier to come back and finish 1 or 2 years of school, rather than starting from scratch. Just look at guys like Brad Berry, Scott Sandelin, Lee Davidson, and Dave Hakstol (to name a few). None of those guys finished their degree when they were here, but they all came back and look at how successful they are now. I can see both Parise's, Greene, Smaby, Stafford and Commie all finishing their degree's at some point. You can also tell how intelligent Toews is and he to will get his degree too. Ryan Miller took online classes From Michigan State while playing in the NHL.