SiouxSports.com Forum

U.S. House Action

airmail

I tried to add my voice to this chorus, but since I am no longer a resident of the ND Congressional District, Pomeroy's website will not even accept the comments. They suggest that I send comments to my Representatives (done), but as a born and bred GF Native, this irks me that I cannot express support for issues that affect my home town. :D And then come the comments about Pomeroy's position that are in another thread...

Grrrrrr.

Does Mr. Pomeroy only accept campaign contributions from current ND residents?

http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/sum...p?cid=N00008113

Hmmm... 76.3% PAC dollars

http://www.opensecrets.org/states/summary....te=ND&Year=2006

WHERE THE CANDIDATES GOT THEIR MONEY, 2005-2006 (North Dakota delegation)

New York $229,165

Distict of Columbia $191,399

California $166,366

North Dakota $127,499

Texas $124,676

Illinois $117,976

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to add my voice to this chorus, but since I am no longer a resident of the ND Congressional District, Pomeroy's website will not even accept the comments. They suggest that I send comments to my Representatives (done), but as a born and bred GF Native, this irks me that I cannot express support for issues that affect my home town. :D And then come the comments about Pomeroy's position that are in another thread...

Grrrrrr.

Since we need support from everywhere in the nation I suggest all out of state Sioux contact their own reps and senators.

Find your representative at: http://www.house.gov

Find your senators at: http://www.senate.gov

Just fill in a ND zip code (Your parents address?)

Yes, I eventually did, but that's not the point. Does an Issue of this nature have geographical boundaries, where opinions only have merit if they are from a regional jurisdiction? I think not.

If I think that the Elected Officials of North Dakota should stand up in support of one of the finest schools in the Nation and take action against the (IMO) illegal efforts of the NC$$ to force the action/position/conduct of a member institution, in clear violation of its own bylaws, then I should be able to contact said Official and say so, regardless of where I live.

What gets me is that even though I was born in GF and am concerned about those issues that affect GF, the Red River Valley, and ND as a whole, I'm not worth Pomeroy's time, energy, or effort, simply because I chose to move out of the region and pursue a career that didn't exist back at home? Puh-leeze.

You can't blame Pomeroy if the House of Representatives system is set up to only accept messages from his district. I tried a random New York rep using my home zip code in North Dakota and was rejected. Pomeroy's web page has telephone numbers that you can use.

They are politicians..Period. Understand that the other representatives most likely do not have a large native american constituency voting in their state (e.g. North Dakota's 20-30K native american's make up a larger percentage of the state population vs other states). Remember that Tim Johnson from South Dakota basically kept his seat in the house by the American Indian vote in South Dakota...Some North Dakota permanent politicians don't want to imagine that in a close race they would have sent a shot across the bow of the same people who could save their butt in the election. Its all about power and as it currently sits, our Democrat based contingent won't be lifting any fingers to help in this situation unless they can garner more votes than they already have...Sad to think that the University and the people who really respect the name and logo are going to be left standing alone to fight the battle while our great UND Lawyer/Leaders get to watch from the sidelines...

I live now in Minnesota and I'm going to make sure the Minnesota contingent is going to help UND keep its name..Sounds ironic that I have to ask a Gopher fan to support our team and can't even get a peep out of the UND gang who represent the state of ND! :D

BobIwabuchiFan

I contacted my rep and senators too. In fact, I contact Hastert and told him that I'd told my House Rep to get on board, and that when they met in the hall, remind him of that! Then I told me Senators to make sure their support was made known to the House as well as grease the skids in the Senate.

Anyway, Hastert accepts communication from outside his district, he just won't respond to anyone outside his district. I think most of them are that way.

Ah yes, "Sooners", meaning the people who stole land from American Indians before ("sooner") than it was legal to steal land from American Indians.

Of course that's not "hostile and abusive."

Exactly! A couple of cheerleaders (or the Homecoming queen) riding a little covered wagon, pretending to "race" to take land away from the Indians (and of course break the rules set down by the Europeans who were running that little land grab): isn't this offensive to our Native American bretheren?

Not to mention that the group that runs this little stunt has taken its name from the Oil industry, those despots despoiling Mother Earth.....talk about plenty of opportunities for outrage. :D

• 2 weeks later...

This is my response from Earl Pomeroy.

I sincerely believe Congress would inflame the debate rather than do anything positive
Ummm Congress does this with everything. This is a great example of political teetering. Mr. Pomeroy completely agrees with me, however, he basically states that trying to do something about the problem would simply create more problems, so lets just ignore it. Spoken like a true politician. I wonder if Mr. Pomeroy is afraid of backlash from certain Tribes "cough Abramoff, cough". My opinion of Mr. Pomeroy is quickly fading. I would hope an elementary school kid can see the complete lack of logic in this response.

Dear Jason:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 5289, a bill that would respond to NCAA sanctions. I appreciate hearing from you on this important topic.

As a proud graduate of the University of North Dakota (UND) and supporter of the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo, I have been in strenuous disagreement with the NCAA and their conclusion that a "hostile and abusive" atmosphere exists at UND.

However, I do not feel like anything is likely to get better on this issue by having Congress get involved. Rather, in my view, we would simply bring on a new, national forum for a noisy debate where "hostile and abusive" and UND are further linked in public discussion. I have rarely seen sensitive topics move toward constructive resolution when considered in such a polarized, partisan arena. I sincerely believe Congress would inflame the debate rather than do anything positive.

I am happy to discuss this further and invite you to write again with your thoughts on this. I hope as further action is taken, common ground with broad consensus can be found.

Like you, I want press coverage on our beloved UND to be about the outstanding education, students, sports teams - not about the nickname controversy. Hopefully, that day will return soon.

Sincerely,

EARL POMEROY

Member of Congress

EP:ed

This is my response from Earl Pomeroy. Ummm Congress does this with everything. This is a great example of political teetering. Mr. Pomeroy completely agrees with me, however, he basically states that trying to do something about the problem would simply create more problems, so lets just ignore it. Spoken like a true politician. I wonder if Mr. Pomeroy is afraid of backlash from certain Tribes "cough Abramoff, cough". My opinion of Mr. Pomeroy is quickly fading. I would hope an elementary school kid can see the complete lack of logic in this response.

That's the exact same response I got today, except my name isn't Jason.

Rather, in my view, we would simply bring on a new, national forum for a noisy debate where "hostile and abusive" and UND are further linked in public discussion.

Well, DUH!! Doesn't he see that this is not a UND vs NC$$ issue? Doesn't he see that when the NC$$ says our name and logo is hostile and abusive, they're announcing that as FACT to the entire collegiate sports communities in the country?

The NC$$'s mission statement states

Core Purpose

Our purpose is to govern competition in a fair, safe, equitable and sportsmanlike manner, and to integrate intercollegiate athletics into higher education so that the educational experience of the student-athlete is paramount.

Their purpose is not to dictate social norms to its membership institutions.

Pomeroy, this issue already is 'a national forum'!!

Aaargh!!!! (*banging head on brick wall*)

That's the exact same response I got today, except my name isn't Jason.

Thanks for the help Earl Pomeroy...way to step up to the plate...writing a letter(ONE) to appease all of us Fighting Sioux fans for this ridiculous mess the NCCA has put us in. You have a platform that most of us don't have the privledge of having...we're just asking you to get on board with this issue & you can't even do that...pathetic.

I'm a little behind on contacting my representatives, but I finally did. I am from Wisconsin so I was able to send message to three people: Tammy Baldwin, Russ Feingold, and Herb Kohl.

Seeing as Herb Kohl is the one that built the Kohl Center in Madison (where the Badgers play) I will be interested to see what his response is.

Thanks for the help Earl Pomeroy...way to step up to the plate...writing a letter(ONE) to appease all of us Fighting Sioux fans for this ridiculous mess the NCCA has put us in. You have a platform that most of us don't have the privledge of having...we're just asking you to get on board with this issue & you can't even do that...pathetic.

Remember this when you're in the voting booth next fall.

• 2 months later...

Here is the email that I finally recieved:

July 27, 2006

Dear Ms. Lobdell,

Thank you for contacting me about the use of Native American

mascots at schools. It is good to hear from you, and I apologize for

the delay in my response.

As you know, the National College Athletic Association (NCAA)

recently decided that universities could only participate in NCAA

championships and host championship events if they do so without

Native American references on their uniforms and associated

athletic program activities. However, the NCAA makes exceptions

for universities who demonstrate that their nicknames are not a

direct Native American reference, or who have received

permission for the use of the name and mascot from the tribe with

which it is associated.

The Protection of University Governance Act of 2006, H.R. 5289,

prohibits any non-governmental entity that regulates intercollegiate

sports, such as the NCAA, from penalizing or denying any benefit

to an institution of higher education based on their name, symbol

or mascot. If passed, H.R. 5289 would override the NCAA's

decision. This legislation was referred to the House Education and

Workforce Subcommittee on 21st Century Competitiveness, of

which I am not a member. Rest assured, if this legislation does

come to a vote, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Again, thank you for sharing your views. Your opinion matters to

me. If I can be of service to you in any other way, please do not

hesitate to let me know. As a result of the anthrax incidents, all

mail sent to Congress is first irradiated. This process causes

significant delays. To ensure the fastest response, I encourage all

constituents who have access to the internet to contact me through

my website at http://tammybaldwin.house.gov.

Sincerely,

Tammy Baldwin

Member of Congress

Here is the email that I finally recieved:

July 27, 2006

Dear Ms. Lobdell,

Thank you for contacting me about the use of Native American

mascots at schools. It is good to hear from you, and I apologize for

the delay in my response.

As you know, the National College Athletic Association (NCAA)

recently decided that universities could only participate in NCAA

championships and host championship events if they do so without

Native American references on their uniforms and associated

athletic program activities. However, the NCAA makes exceptions

for universities who demonstrate that their nicknames are not a

direct Native American reference, or who have received

permission for the use of the name and mascot from the tribe with

which it is associated.

The Protection of University Governance Act of 2006, H.R. 5289,

prohibits any non-governmental entity that regulates intercollegiate

sports, such as the NCAA, from penalizing or denying any benefit

to an institution of higher education based on their name, symbol

or mascot. If passed, H.R. 5289 would override the NCAA's

decision. This legislation was referred to the House Education and

Workforce Subcommittee on 21st Century Competitiveness, of

which I am not a member. Rest assured, if this legislation does

come to a vote, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Again, thank you for sharing your views. Your opinion matters to

me. If I can be of service to you in any other way, please do not

hesitate to let me know. As a result of the anthrax incidents, all

mail sent to Congress is first irradiated. This process causes

significant delays. To ensure the fastest response, I encourage all

constituents who have access to the internet to contact me through

my website at http://tammybaldwin.house.gov.

Sincerely,

Tammy Baldwin

Member of Congress

Am I the only one thinking that Tammy should move to ND and run for Congress? ;)

I'm more of a cynic than any of you. I didn't read in Congresswoman Baldwin's letter that she disagreed with the NC$$ edict regarding American Indian names and logos nor did I read she said she would vote for H.R. 5289. She said she would keep WiSioux's "thoughts in mind" and her "opinion matters".

I wouldn't be rushing to bring her to ND based on that letter.

I'm more of a cynic than any of you. I didn't read in Congresswoman Baldwin's letter that she disagreed with the NC$$ edict regarding American Indian names and logos nor did I read she said she would vote for H.R. 5289. She said she would keep WiSioux's "thoughts in mind" and her "opinion matters".

I wouldn't be rushing to bring her to ND based on that letter.

I agree with ya on that one. I guess I was just responding because her letter seemed like a more personal letter versus the group response from Pomeroy. Lets hope she does vote in favor of H.R. 5289.