SiouxSports.com Forum

J-Par Likely Gone

TMK

does "any deal that you can get" beat your final year in college with the possibility of another shot at the Frozen Four?

Ask USC's Matt Lienhart how that turned out for him. April 2005, consensus #1 draft pick, stays at USC. April 2006, number 10 pick. 2005 Contracts. #1 Alex Smith 6 yrs, $49.5Million. #10 Mike Williams 5 yrs, $13.5Million. I know we're not talking these kinds of numbers for JPar, but the point is that these kids need to strike while the iron's hot. This Sioux fan will never begrudge them of that.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask USC's Matt Lienhart how that turned out for him. April 2005, consensus #1 draft pick, stays at USC. April 2006, number 10 pick. 2005 Contracts. #1 Alex Smith 6 yrs, $49.5Million. #10 Mike Williams 5 yrs, $13.5Million. I know we're not talking these kinds of numbers for JPar, but the point is that these kids need to strike while the iron's hot. This Sioux fan will never begrudge them of that.

I would never look poorly at a player that opted to leave early. I am happy for them, that they have found success beyond their college years. I'm just curious because I do not have any idea what the other guys have to offer as far as their deals go.

decent point but like you said, not even close when you bring up numbers so im not sure if this is the right route to compare. matt is still a multi millionaire and will have tons of endorements being the 10th pick...with jordy we are talking thousands not millions but like you said as well, you have to strike when hottest if you are a undrafted free agent.

Since when does loyalty have anything to do with time?

For example, and on a unrelated note, if you moved to a place and loved it but you were offered a better paying job doing the same thing somewhere else and you left... would that make you "unloyal" to the place you once and still do love?

Time and dedication sometimes have nothing to do with each other. UND hockey players are not here to amuse and satisfy the gratifications of us fans. If they come to UND and give us even one moment to remember them by and then must move on due to better fortunes, it is not our job to begrudge them, but to thank them and simply wish that the time they spent here could have been longer.

They are students, yes. But we all know that... for the lucky ones anyway... their dreams and futures lie in the NHL and we should in no way degrade them for following their dreams as opposed to staying to merely keep alive the well-wishing and viewing desires of the UND hockey following.

My rant is done...

Since when does loyalty have anything to do with time?

For example, and on a unrelated note, if you moved to a place and loved it but you were offered a better paying job doing the same thing somewhere else and you left... would that make you "unloyal" to the place you once and still do love?

Time and dedication sometimes have nothing to do with each other. UND hockey players are not here to amuse and satisfy the gratifications of us fans. If they come to UND and give us even one moment to remember them by and then must move on due to better fortunes, it is not our job to begrudge them, but to thank them and simply wish that the time they spent here could have been longer.

They are students, yes. But we all know that... for the lucky ones anyway... their dreams and futures lie in the NHL and we should in no way degrade them for following their dreams as opposed to staying to merely keep alive the well-wishing and viewing desires of the UND hockey following.

My rant is done...

Very well said UNDLAW.Could not have said it better.We lose players but yet we have kids coming in that help us forget about the ones that moved on.It is a cycle that will never end.

of course he will be in the AHL then move up like any other player

This is not a reply to AZSioux, it is to the peoole that think the AHL is some how a lesser league. My question to them is what is wrong with playing in the AHL? Its the triple AAA of the NHL. Its definately a better league that NCAA college Division one. I remember a while back a gopher fan saying playing in the AHL was the pits and he couldn't see why a player would give up their college elgibility to play in the AHL. Hello about 75,000 reason along with a signing bonus.

That being said, I am not sure why some of you think Jordan is going to be gone? I think he will be back.

But if some want to rumor monger about him leaving it will give us something to read over the course of the summer.

Here is my $0.02. Most people have to keep this in mind when players leave early. UND unlike many of our neighbors(WCHA) recruits mostly outside talent(Canada). Yes, I know the past few years we have recruited local talent and teams like the Gophs are branching out. However, for the most part we have always recruited outside talent. That being said, most of these recruits don't grow up being Sioux fans. They are hockey players with one goal in mind. That goal being to reach a higher level than the one they are at. So I don't get to bent when a player leaves early like Zajac. Don't get me wrong. I would love for these guys to stay and dominate the league. However, he probably never seen the Sioux play until he came on a recruiting trip. So for a school like UND(small population, enrollment) to get the NHL talent we get it says volumes about the program. Thats what I love about UND hockey so much. We don't have all of the bells and whistles that WI, MN, MI and like have to offer to these guys. Yet, they still come here to play. To me its an honor and a priviledge to watch these guys play. Finally, to those that do stay for 4 years(ala Prpich) you can see and feel their deep appreciation for the traditon that is SIOUX HOCKEY!!!!!!!

We don't have all of the bells and whistles that WI, MN, MI and like have to offer to these guys.

I am not so sure that is true. We have a better arean than the three listed teams and more Titles than Wisconsin and Minnesota. I think UND history is probably more storied than Wisconsin and Minnesota.

I am not so sure that is true. We have a better arean than the three listed teams and more Titles than Wisconsin and Minnesota. I think UND history is probably more storied than Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Yes, after 2001 our arena is the best bar none. Also we have more titles as I stated before because of our ability to recruit top talent given our "shortfalls". I lived in G.F. for 26 years and I lived in Duluth, Minneapolis and now near Detroit. G.F. is the ONLY place where the bars have last call at 12:30 and don't close until 1:00!!! Lets face it, for a young person G.F. isn't the most happening place. I know I didn't go into to much detail as I tried to keep it short. So because of our recruiting, UND for a small town and campus does more than compete with the NCAA all D-1 giants.

That being said, most of these recruits don't grow up being Sioux fans. They are hockey players with one goal in mind. That goal being to reach a higher level than the one they are at.
I beg to differ. Many if not all these boys grew up knowing UND Hockey as one of the number one programs in the country. And for many, the Sioux program was the one they wanted to belong to. Why? Because of the tradition, the outstanding coaching, the success, etc.

However, he probably never seen the Sioux play until he came on a recruiting trip.

I have no doubt that they watched the Sioux play on cable via tape or in person. Many of our former players have son's playing here.

So for a school like UND(small population, enrollment) to get the NHL talent we get it says volumes about the program. Yet, they still come here to play. Finally, to those that do stay for 4 years(ala Prpich) you can see and feel their deep appreciation for the traditon that is SIOUX HOCKEY!!!!!!!

It's no coincidence that the players we are able to recruit are from the 'A' list. And what you do not know is that our boys come into the program with 'their deep appreciation for the tradition that is SIOUX HOCKEY'. They don't have to play here four years, as much as we want them to, to develop a love of our program. For instance, Eddie Belfour played ONE YEAR as a Fighting Sioux. I defy anyone to find a bigger Sioux hockey fan than he is. He brought the friggin' Stanley Cup home to us to share in his victory. Last year at the Frozen Four he signed hundreds of autographs and would not stop until every one in line got one, even when a big shot Alum tried t pull him away.

Don't come on this board and tell me that players coming in to the program have never seen the Sioux skate, don't know about our tradition and only appreciate the program when they have stayed four years. I know better. Of course they come here with the goal of the NHL, that's been their life long dream. Staying one year or four years, they give all they've got to the program and if they leave early, God speed, good luck and damn aren't we lucky to have the roster we have!

And if a player doesn't want to play for the UND Fighting Sioux because the bars close at 12:30, let him play for the Gophers. Their goal is not to be recruited by a program in a big town, to party all night, it's to play in the best program in the country, learn from outstanding coaches and senior players, and to develop into the type of player that catches the eye of the NHL. That's not gonna happen in a bar at 2AM.

Yes, after 2001 our arena is the best bar none. Also we have more titles as I stated before because of our ability to recruit top talent given our "shortfalls". I lived in G.F. for 26 years and I lived in Duluth, Minneapolis and now near Detroit. G.F. is the ONLY place where the bars have last call at 12:30 and don't close until 1:00!!! Lets face it, for a young person G.F. isn't the most happening place. I know I didn't go into to much detail as I tried to keep it short. So because of our recruiting, UND for a small town and campus does more than compete with the NCAA all D-1 giants.

Just to expand on that: Watching the Devils vs Canes last night it was apparent that UND has a lot to be proud of. Commie, Hale Parise thats just on the ice in one setting. I still think during that series UND had the best representation on the two teams. Tradition I will take UND over minnesota's anyday, Michigan in some aspect more in other aspect we have had better recruits the last few years in my opinion.

You guys have been on this forum for how long and still haven't established the ranking of the top college and WCHA hockey programs? Come on, crap or get off the pot. Or better yet, send me a previous topic that didn't waste everyone's time and has the established ranking of the top 10. I am interested to see how it looks.

You guys have been on this forum for how long and still haven't established the ranking of the top college and WCHA hockey programs? Come on, crap or get off the pot. Or better yet, send me a previous topic that didn't waste everyone's time and has the established ranking of the top 10. I am interested to see how it looks.

I don't understand why we need to spell this out for you.

1. The University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX

2. Everyone Else

3. The Gophers

2. Everyone Else

3. The Gophers

I think Dagies has pretty much got it all taken care of.

1. Sioux

2. Sioux

3. Sioux

4. Sioux

5. Sioux

6. Sioux

7. Sioux

8. Sioux

9. Sioux

10. BADgers and Goofers

2. Everyone Else

3. The Gophers

dagies: Thank you for the same reply I would likely get from my seven-year old.....I was looking for an educated response (although I agree with #1) with a comprehensive top 10.

ALL TIME

1. UND

2. DU

3. WISC

4. UM TC

5. CC

6. M-TECH

7. UMD

8. SCSU

9. UAA

10. MSU

SINCE 2000

1. DU

2. UM TC

3. UND

4. WISC

5. CC

6. UMD

7. SCSU

8. MSU

9. UAA

10. TECH

ALL TIME

1. UND

2. DU

3. WISC

4. UM TC

5. CC

6. M-TECH

7. UMD

8. SCSU

9. UAA

10. MSU

SINCE 2000

1. DU

2. UM TC

3. UND

4. WISC

5. CC

6. UMD

7. SCSU

8. MSU

9. UAA

10. TECH

Great list (Can't believe you put UAA ahead of Tech since 2000, but that's for another topic)

Actually Minnesota is tied with UND for National Titles (7-7). Minnesota had two titles before the NCAA was adopted. One was in 1940 and the other one was around 1918, thus making it seven titles for Minnesota.

Actually Minnesota is tied with UND for National Titles (7-7). Minnesota had two titles before the NCAA was adopted. One was in 1940 and the other one was around 1918, thus making it seven titles for Minnesota.

The only titles that count are the NCAA titles. AAU don't count.

What if... everyone just let this comment go? What if everyone ignored it and didn't get sucked in to the argument?

Please. Think of the children!

The Gophs really only recognize the 1940 undefeated team as banner worthy, I certainly wouldn't expect others to acknowledge any of the pre-NCAA glory teams.

We should do this in a separate thread.