SiouxSports.com Forum

Jan. 29 Sioux Coaches Show

PCM

EDIT: Here's a cleaned up and perhaps more coherent version of the coaches show.

Tim Hennessy and Scott Swygman interviewed Dean Blais from Lola's restaurant in beautiful downtown Grand Forks.

Caller: Asked Blais what he thought about all the ties in the league this year.

I don

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm correctly interpreting Blais' comments on the coaches show tonight, it sounds like the starting lines will be as follows:

1st: Fylling-Parise-Bochenski

2nd: Notermann-Lundbohm-Massen

3rd: Spiewak-McMahon-R. Hale

4th: Connelly-Genoway-Prpich

It's good to know that Fylling has worked his way back on to the top line and that they're playing so well together. Keeping Notermann, Lundbohm and Massen together really gives the Sioux a great one-two scoring punch.

The Sioux will really need the fourth line to play well. I like the combinations on both the third and fourth lines.

Maybe you can't tell, but I can hardly wait for Friday night. :)

Great information PCM, thanks.

I was reading the comment you wrote on the MVP thread about how the Notermann-Lundbohm-Massen line will be important this weekend against CC. I couldn't agree more. This line could really take the pressure off of Bochenski-Parise-Fylling. You know going in that CC will key on that line for obvious reasons. I really think the second line will get some great chances and have a great series. Notermann has been playing solid lately and Lundbohm is quietly in the top 10 scoring in the nation. These guys go out there and work hard night in and night out. I expect them to have a great weekend.

For me, the key to taking this series as far as lines contributing, is the Spiewak line. Ryan Hale works his butt off on the ice and McMahon has the grit to get in there and disturb some things. I think those two out there with Spiewak and his speed and the way he has been burying chances this year, will be a tough line to contend with and could put the Sioux over the top. When you look at the line combo's that PCM gave, the Sioux could legitimately get quality scoring from all 4 lines, that would obviously be tough for any team to contend with, considering very few teams have the defensive depth the Sioux have.

Can't wait for the games. Go Sioux!!!

Here are some scoring comparisons showing points per game between the Tigers and Sioux based on 18 WCHA games for CC and 16 league games for UND.

Colorado College

1st Line: Sertich, Clarke, Sejna

28G, 46A, 74P (4.11 PPG)

2nd Line: Cullen, Stirling, Liebel

21G, 19A, 40P (2.22 PPG)

3rd Line: Slattengren, Polaski, Stuart

10G, 12A, 22P (1.22 PPG)

4th Liners: 4G, 7A, 11P (.611 PPG)

Defensive Corps: 18G, 44A, 62P (3.44 PPG)

North Dakota

1st Line: Fylling, Parise, Bochenski

20G, 33A, 53P (3.31 PPG)

2nd Line: Notermann, Lundbohm, Massen

20G, 40A, 60P (3.75 PPG)

3rd Line: Spiewak, McMahon, R. Hale

9G, 11A, 20P (1.25 PPG)

4th Liners: 6G, 3A, 9P (.563 PPG)

Defensive Corps: 10G, 22A, 32P (2.00 PPG)

The differnece between UND's top two lines isn't great, but the difference between CC's top two lines is. The third and fourth lines of both teams are about equal in scoring. However, CC gets a significant amount of scoring out of its defensemen compared to UND.

Interestingly, Tom Priessing accounts for more than a third of CC's points (21) in this category while Andy Schneider accounts for more than a third of UND's points (13). That could be a good matchup to watch.

And to anyone who thinks that CC has a significant advantage in goal, take a look at these WCHA stats:

Curtis McElhinney - 10-1-5

2.32GAA, .910SV%

Jake Brandt - 6-1-2

2.23GAA, .908SV%

I think the comparisons between the teams' second line and defense are distorted because Lundbohm gets a lot of PP points playing the point ... where it looks like CC goes with 2 defense. If you adjust for that, the statistics look pretty even.

The biggest differences, stat-wise are the special teams. Which makes me nervous.

Thanks for the coaches show recap, good to hear we are working on PK....

I didn't see this mentioned, and it probably doesn't qualify as "pure sioux hockey content" however, it's darn funny and has a "X-Files" kind of spin....... It seems that TH and spouse have a "strange" link to Sioux titles under Dean Blais --- in 1997 when the Sioux won it TH and Tamara had Casey, then in 2000 when the Sioux won it TH and Tamara had Colin...... well I believe they said that the Hennessey family was expanding yet again this year! What does that mean?!?!?! Good work! and congratulations too.

If the Gophs and Sioux positions were reversed, Blais would be focussing on finishing third or higher (very, very important) and getting ready for the playoffs.

I agree with you. In fact, I recall that after the Sioux won the championship in 2000, Blais said that being out of contention for the MacNaughton Cup (Wisconsin ran away with it that season) helped the Sioux focus their efforts on getting ready for the playoffs. I guess the perspective changes with your team's ability to contend for the title. :)

There's already some talk on POI and the CC board about Blais' comments regarding Crosby and whether there was a violation of NCAA rules.

I believe it was Hammy who posted the rule on it. Sounds like Blais said just enough to make it sound suspicious but obviously well within the rules.

I was going to comment on Blais' comments on Crosby before I saw these last 2 comments.

What is the exact rule, and where do his comments lie? It would appear that Blais is dancing the line on commenting on future recruits before they signed an LOI. Am I misinterpreting the ruling, or is he okay by not mentioning his interest in the program, or any specifics of a possible commitment?

Seems like all the Gopher coaches play it safe when dealing with recruiting by stating "Due to NCAA regulations I cannot make any comments regarding specific recruits until they sign a Letter of Intent."

Am I way off-base here, or could he be looking at some investigation?