SiouxSports.com Forum

Stafford signs!

BB9

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the only "sure" bet to return to college is Towes. I just don't see him physically ready for the big time yet. He certainly has the skill, the hands and the vision to step up now, but I think he'd be a lot better pro closer to 200 pounds.

yeah, and that is just what Jon himself told me. he doesnt feel he would be competitive enough to leave already.

Drew: Thanks for the great 3 years. You are one hell of a player. Good luck in the NHL.

BogeyBoge: Awesome video. I was wondering, is there anyway you would do a farewell video for Zajac. I know it takes a lot of time, but those videos are great. Not a big deal if you can't either, I just think it would be cool. Thanks.

So long, Drew, we hardly knew ye.

Good luck in the show. Do the Fighting Sioux proud!

Triouxper has been awfully accurate about a lot of stuff, going back to how good Oshie was in the WJC trials last summer. I suspect he knows what he's talking about with Sparky and Jpar. Certainly I've heard enough to believe the Sparky thing, and I'm just going to go with Triouxper on Jpar because of his record and I think #1Hakfan also said the same.

We can keep talking about all of our talent but we'd better be bringing some in with this freshmen class too. Losing Stafford, Zajac, Smaby, Spirko, Jpar, and potentially Toews/Oshie and god forbid even Lee this could be an unprecedented and potentially never matched early loss of talent from one team.

I'll believe Oshie and Toews are still around next fall when the games start, because at this point it seems like it's going to be that kind of year where the house just gets cleaned. Toews can talk all he wants about what he needs to do but the kid hasn't even been drafted yet. Who knows how that changes things.

The Sioux still have a fair amount of talent, but the ability to seperate themselves from the pack is no longer there. Once again the ranks of the upperclass forwards are decimated. No, not wiped out because that would be disrespectful to Porter, Fabian and Kaip, wno are important players in their own right. But I think regardless of talent, a team needs to field more than just freshmen and sophomore offensive leaders if they are going to win in the end.

In reality it was more than probable that Stafford was going to leave this year, especially after Zajac and Smaby went. I couldn't see him coming back with the NHL contract stuff regarding senior college palyers in addition to saving face. He had a great year and really became a leader on the team but I always expected more from him. I'd really get frustrated when he'd loaf back to the bench or do the same move everytime he went one-on-one with a defender. Sometimes the toe-drag-walk-around would work but most of the time it wouldn't and he'd keep doing it. I wouldn't say he was soft but he'd become invisible in some games and disappear. These are small criticisms for a guy that made great improvements from a 17 year-old freshman. He's a great talent and I wish him nothing but the best in the pros! Too bad becuase I think he'd been a serious Hobey canidate next year. Hopefully, he'll take Vanek's spot and send the rodent to the minors!

Where is the official link or article showing complete proof that Stafford has even signed? I'm not seing anywhere, and until it's announced then he's still a member of the Fighting Sioux hockey team for 2006-07.

They announced and confirmed right away when Zajac and Smaby signed, but not with Stafford yet. So I hold out hope that he still is planning on returning for his senior year until I see official ink in the paper or on the website somewhere.

I really don't think we are giving next years freshman enough credit. With Vandevelde, Forney, and Zajac and assuming Oshie, Toews, and Spirko return, I think this team will be competing for all 3 championships again. And who will lead this new Sioux charge?

FABIAN!!!!!!!!!!! :0:D

I hope I'm not giving too much credit to the coaches, but don't you think they expected Matt, Drew and Travis to be gone after this year? I don't want to downplay the holes left on the roster these guys leave, but I've got to believe Hak, et al have been planning for this eventuality for at least a year.

I also think this is one of those triple-witching hour kind of things: the NHL lockout, the new CBA, etc. have all combined to makes these young men leave now to their maximum financial benefit. We'll continue to see early departures as long as the Sioux continue to fill the roster with high-caliber talent, but I believe this year will be an anomaly in the large number of early outs. (At least I hope so!)

talk about a big-a$$ hole in the roster.... i promise i will calm down soon

I don't think this team will miss a beat like one person said earlier have some faith in the people we have. We have only seen the tip of the ice burg with Oshie and Toews, beside I believe Toews will be a better player that Stafford in the years to come. Take the Money and run Drew we will be fine without you.

I think the boys coming in are going to be pretty good too. Lets not lose faith its only may.

The Sioux still have a fair amount of talent, but the ability to seperate themselves from the pack is no longer there. Once again the ranks of the upperclass forwards are decimated. No, not wiped out because that would be disrespectful to Porter, Fabian and Kaip, wno are important players in their own right. But I think regardless of talent, a team needs to field more than just freshmen and sophomore offensive leaders if they are going to win in the end.

I would guess, as long as the Sioux get top draft picks coming in as frosh, they will have to win a championship led largely in scoring by frosh and sophomores (hoping that top frosh stay for a second year), and a very limited number of role-playing leaders in the junior and senior class. The key will probably be getting enough experienced dmen to stick around to be upper classmen. There are other teams in the same boat (ie MN), but experienced teams with lots of upperclassmen players that are not top draft picks may win a few championships in the near future. Maybe one of them will come from the EZAC :D

well I guess that is better than a big a$$hole on the roster.... :0

:D I had the same thought, but you beat me to the post.

But, I dont think that we have a huge hole in the roster, with the guys we still have, and the talent that we have coming up, I think we'll be just fine.

I am looking forward to watching Drew play on TSN next week. It sounds like his goal against Slovenia was a typical Stafford blaster and it will be good to see how he does against other traditional hockey powers.

I also see that the one move wonder's move worked against the Slovenian D. :D

I am looking forward to watching Drew play on TSN next week. It sounds like his goal against Slovenia was a typical Stafford blaster and it will be good to see how he does against other traditional hockey powers.

I also see that the one move wonder's move worked against the Slovenian D. :D

when and what time, what channnel are they playing?

when and what time, what channnel are they playing?

Would guess the TSN game is US vs Canada, May 9, Tuesday at 1:15PM EDT, according to the schedule. May be shown on Center Ice dish packages as some TSN broadcasts are?