SiouxSports.com Forum

Irmen gone...

Siouxalum22

Irmen leaves U, signs with Wild

Michael Russo, Star Tribune

One week after the Gophers lost stud Ryan Potulny to the Philadelphia Flyers, the university learned it lost Potulny's star linemate.

Danny Irmen, a hard-nosed forward for three seasons at Minnesota, decided to forgo his senior season to sign a two-year contract with the Wild on Wednesday.

The deal begins next season. He signed an amateur tryout with the Houston Aeros and will report there for the rest of the year, where he is eligible to partake in the playoffs.

In three years with the Gophers, Irmen scored 54 goals and 103 points in 118 games.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to Irman and Potulny for reaching the next level. While I am a college hockey fan, I could care less about the NHL. Kind of makes me sad to see all these top notch players leave early. Would have preferred the pleasure of watching them play another year at the college level. That said, you can't fault a kid who takes the money when it becomes available.

I suspect we will be hearing of Sioux departures after the season is over. Let's just hope that isn't until sometime Sunday.

Congrats to Irman and Potulny for reaching the next level. While I am a college hockey fan, I could care less about the NHL. Kind of makes me sad to see all these top notch players leave early. Would have preferred the pleasure of watching them play another year at the college level. That said, you can't fault a kid who takes the money when it becomes available.

I suspect we will be hearing of Sioux departures after the season is over. Let's just hope that isn't until sometime Sunday.

It won't be that early. But there may be some however.

aw...*&^*&%^$^%$#$()

W

Just wait until Irman plays his first game with the Wild. God forbid he scores a goal. Here's what will happen if he does. Lemaire will call him into his office and say:

Lemaire: "Danny, welcome to the club! What did you think of your first game?"

Irman: "Oh, it was everything I dreamed of. It was hard work, but worth it. I really enjoyed my chance to play tonight and I look forward to developing into the player the Wild needs so I can play more at this level, coach!"

Lemaire: "Yeah, that's what I was hoping you say. I'd like to say, first, that congrats on scoring that goal of yours. I know it feels good, but I must say there was something I didn't like about it. When you went into the zone and shot that puck from down low, you abandoned your man to take the shot. That wasn't defensively responsible. What if the attempt was broken up? There would have been an odd man rush the other way, that's what! So, despite the fact that you had a goal and was +1 on the night, we're sending you back down to Houston to work on your defensive responsibilties."

And, hence, the Walzification of Irman will commence until Irman only scores two kinds of goals:

1. Defensive lapses by the other team that results in the puck going in

2. Empty netters

Seriously, the Wild have the 4 best checking lines in the NHL. Now... if only they had a scoring line... maybe two scoring lines?

Lemaire: "Yeah, that's what I was hoping you say. I'd like to say, first, that congrats on scoring that goal of yours. I know it feels good, but I must say there was something I didn't like about it. When you went into the zone and shot that puck from down low, you abandoned your man to take the shot. That wasn't defensively responsible. What if the attempt was broken up? There would have been an odd man rush the other way, that's what! So, despite the fact that you had a goal and was +1 on the night, we're sending you back down to Houston to work on your defensive responsibilties."

It would be funny if it wasn't so true. Now if Eaves gets Lemaires job at some point I will truly hope these guys pack up for Dallas as well.

----

Anyone know what year Irmen and Potulny play high school hockey in North Dakota?

Everybody is running from the gophs - the women's BB team is down to 3 plus the towel gal as 5 underclass gals bolted as of yesterday. I wonder whats up at the Univeristy of Minnimystery. Have to blame it on the coaching staffs.

You actually care about women's bouncyball? I don't.

You actually care about women's bouncyball? I don't.

nope - it is just a sign of how things are with your athletic dept. Although, you guys always brag about any and all of your programs as long as they are winning - its a good thing you have many to fall back on.

nope - it is just a sign of how things are with your athletic dept. Although, you guys always brag about any and all of your programs as long as they are winning - its a good thing you have many to fall back on.

The Gophers have another sports program besides hockey? I never knew that. :D

I always thought Maturi was kind of crooked, the whole basketball thing is a mystery though....I don't know what to make of it. Maybe their tutors quit doing their homework for them so they just gave up all together. :D:D

Like a college kid's going to get a chance with Black Jacque? I hope Danny likes Houston.

Best of luck; now that he's not a goopher.

Heck, there are already 2 Americans on the Wild (and I believe Westrum has only played in 7 games). . . . I think that is Coach Lemaire's limit isn't it? Me thinks the French Canadian coach likes foreigners! :D

Heck, there are already 2 Americans on the Wild (and I believe Westrum has only played in 7 games). . . . I think that is Coach Lemaire's limit isn't it? Me thinks the French Canadian coach likes foreigners! :D

Don't go creating a Canadian conspiracy. Those are only for the WJC season.

The UM athletic department finishes high nearly every year nationally for overall performance. The men's basketball program is currently the only major program that deserves a "failing" grade, although the women't team may soon join them if the exodus continues.