SiouxSports.com Forum

Early outs

GBpakrzz

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well there you have it. The whole "UND lost more to early departures than UMN" argument is now officially moot until after the draft. UMN could theoretically still lose out worse than UND. UND could still lose Toews (as unlikely as some of us Sioux fans think), but UMN could lose Kessel and EJ. Yeah, I know Kessel said he'd be back next year, but so did Toews. Who really knows? We won't know until after the draft.

I do have a question for the Gopher fans that frequent this site:

I know most Sioux fans expected to lose Smaby and still expect to lose Stafford. We thought there was a good chance we'd lose Zajac too. My question is: How many Gopher fans expected Chucko to bolt early this off season? Was this signing what I believe (an out of left field swoop and grab by Calgary)?

Kangas is coming in the fall of '07. I kind of wish that Briggs would pull a Weber and quit the team so Kangas could come in next year. He put up great stats in the USHL this year.

Kangas was a great pickup for the Gophs, he's from my hometown and graduated the same year I did. I watched him play for years, he has a lot of heart and is a great competitor.

Kangas was a great pickup for the Gophs, he's from my hometown and graduated the same year I did. I watched him play for years, he has a lot of heart and is a great competitor.

Didn't they say that about Frazee too?

(not really a dig on Frazee. I was high on him too coming into last season. I thought he'd take Briggs' spot as #1 by January. I was VERY wrong)

Give Frazee another year and we'll see what happens. He played so well in the NTDP that it would be odd to see him become a huge bust with the Gophs. But who knows, maybe he had a few good defensemen in front of him these last two years and he shouldn't have been as hyped up as he was.

I don't know if this has been brought up yet but I don't want to read through 23 pages of posts. I heard that Drew Stafford and Jordan Parise are good friends and that they play in the same band. Any how, some body who writes for the UND newspaper thinks that Stafford will be back next year. Make what you want of it but it would sure be nice if he was back!

The Gophers lost their two BEST players. I don't think the same can be said of the Sioux. Though Smaby is a huge loss. At the same time Potulny made the PP go for the Gophs along with Kessel, who could also leave.

They also supposedly had a better recruiting class last year. Johnson will be great, but will he play? Will one year be enough? Hirsch and Hagemo are an enigma. I heard Gopher fans spouting how Hirsch was better than Zach. I don't think he's lived up to the hype so far, and even worse is that no one knows how fragile of a player he is. Speaking of fragile, has Hagemo even touched the ice in 1 1/2 years? Hard to claim that two guys that have hardly played in over a year will be your saviors.

Will Frazee stay academically eligible or will he need to be suspended again (or was that for something else)? Can you rely on him to not 'lose it' on the ice? He's a very emotional goaltender.

When Frazee got suspended this year it had nothing to do with grades, he was not attending some classes which Lucia takes very sersiously. The kid has alot of talent he just needs to get his head on straight.

When Frazee got suspended this year it had nothing to do with grades, he was not attending some classes which Lucia takes very sersiously. The kid has alot of talent he just needs to get his head on straight.

So I'll ask again: Can you rely on him? Someone needing their head on straight would have me concerned.

So I'll ask again: Can you rely on him? Someone needing their head on straight would have me concerned.

To be honest I don't know if he can be relied on, only time will tell. When he got caught on tape at the bar that was a bad decision on his part to be drinking in the bar. After that incident things seemed to be fine with him until he skipped some classes. Until he shows some maturity or just flat out grows up thats when you can fully rely on him.

SiouxguyinStpaul, Why are you ripping on BuckySieve? He's giving next years Sioux team many props. All he's saying is both teams will be very good next year despite losing a couple keys players. As for nobody here cares, this entire message board talks mainly about the Sioux AND the Gophers.

What I see is a consistantly unfounded - the Sioux are good but the Gophs are better na,na,na - which it is getting quite old on this board. But perhaps your right - I should let it go as I personally don't care what he thinks or professes to have intimate knowledge of as it was heard from a mother of a friend of somebody - but others may.

Hmmmm, seems to be a common theme with alot of kids that the Don has coached.

Anyone want to talk about the Mankato State Mavericks?

Don't forget. They lost David Backes. He was more valuable to his team

than Zajac, Smaby, Potulny, Irmen, or Chucko were to their teams.

Let's talk some Mavericks hockey!!

Bump. ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I hate to say it, but sometimes I too grow weary of reading here, sometime ad nauseum, about the Gophers and all of their tales of woe and glory. If I was concerned about Frazee, I would go check out GPL. Moreover, this thread is about early-outs. There is not a rat's chance that Frazee will be an early-out, unless, of course, he flunks out. Or drops out. Both, I guess, good chances. Maybe the talk is appropriate here.

The Gophers were 11 points better than the Sioux this past year and beat them 3 out of 4 games. The Gophers have lost two good players off the entire roster so far with Irmen and Potluny while the Sioux also have lost two good players with Smaby and Zajac but will soon be three with Stafford undoubtedly leaving. The Gophers also have a better recruiting class coming in next year(Johnson and Okposo being better than any Sioux recruit) and they also have two veterans coming back next year in Hirsch and Hagemo.

The Sioux will be great next year as always but the Gophers will not have a difficult time competing with them. If anything the Gophers will be a more complete team next year than this year because the defense will be much improved with adding Johnson and Hagemo and losing two average players in Harrington and Atherton.

You still need a goalie bro.

i could care less about comparing the 2 recruiting classes between the gophs and sioux becasue they are always going to be in the top 5 in the nation no matter what year it is.

as long as the gophers have briggs between the pipes im not worried 1 damn bit especially when it comes to the NCAA's..gophs fans know he isnt the answer so either weekend at blarneys frazee needs to grow up and show what all the hype was about or it will be the same ol storybook ending

Now we have it, hit the nail on the head until the goofers get a goalie that is better than Briggs or Frazee they are going to keep losing to team like Holy Cross. " :silly:

yeah, im not worried about his regular season numbers at all. but when it comes down to a DO OR DIE game with no tomorrow that guy is loss waiting to happen..is kangas coming in this year or the next??

DO OR DIE situation? I'd say the Frozen Four is do or die, and Parise has given up 10 goals in his last two Frozen Four games. And he looked especially bad vs. BC. I think Parise is a top 5 goaltender in the country and I know he has great playoff stats, but the past two years when UND got eliminated they could have used much stronger performances from him. Having said that, I'd take Parise over ANY goalie the Gophs have. :silly:

DO OR DIE situation? I'd say the Frozen Four is do or die, and Parise has given up 10 goals in his last two Frozen Four games. And he looked especially bad vs. BC. I think Parise is a top 5 goaltender in the country and I know he has great playoff stats, but the past two years when UND got eliminated they could have used much stronger performances from him. Having said that, I'd take Parise over ANY goalie the Gophs have. :silly:

Granted - this year's game against BC wasn't his best but it is a team effort and last year against Denver (if I remember right) the first two goals were on deflections (one off of Smaby's skate and the other off a Denver player's backside), the 3rd a nice PP goal and the last was an empty neter.

DO OR DIE situation? I'd say the Frozen Four is do or die, and Parise has given up 10 goals in his last two Frozen Four games. And he looked especially bad vs. BC. I think Parise is a top 5 goaltender in the country and I know he has great playoff stats, but the past two years when UND got eliminated they could have used much stronger performances from him. Having said that, I'd take Parise over ANY goalie the Gophs have. :glare:

And now we've come full circle. Yes, folks, we have gone to the Frozen Four twice in the last two years. And yeah, both times we lost because of Jordan Parise.

Ok, now is reality check time. Both times we didn't lose because of Jordan Parise. We lost because of mistakes made on the ice by the players and simple bad luck. DU game: Uh, how many goals went off of Smaby's body into the net? How could Smaby have avoided those? Where was the offense vs. DU? Seems like that loss was Parise's fault. :silly: Versus BC: BC capitolized on more of our mistakes than we did of theirs. We had 7 powerplays to work with they had what... 4? Our offense did turn it on in the third but too little too late. Jordan did give up 2 soft goals, that much I'll admit. But with the offense put up, that means we should have won the game vs. BC right? Nope. They played better than us and deserved to win. Nice that you'd scapegoat Parise though.

So yeah. I'd still take Jordan Parise any day of the week, but if the SIoux lose, I'll try to look at reality, not look at a hunt for a scapegoat.

And now we've come full circle. Yes, folks, we have gone to the Frozen Four twice in the last two years. And yeah, both times we lost because of Jordan Parise.

Ok, now is reality check time. Both times we didn't lose because of Jordan Parise. We lost because of mistakes made on the ice by the players and simple bad luck. DU game: Uh, how many goals went off of Smaby's body into the net? How could Smaby have avoided those? Where was the offense vs. DU? Seems like that loss was Parise's fault. :silly: Versus BC: BC capitolized on more of our mistakes than we did of theirs. We had 7 powerplays to work with they had what... 4? Our offense did turn it on in the third but too little too late. Jordan did give up 2 soft goals, that much I'll admit. But with the offense put up, that means we should have won the game vs. BC right? Nope. They played better than us and deserved to win. Nice that you'd scapegoat Parise though.

So yeah. I'd still take Jordan Parise any day of the week, but if the SIoux lose, I'll try to look at reality, not look at a hunt for a scapegoat.

Two soft goals in an NCAA semifinal is two too many. You're right about the Denver game, he was ok in that one. But he flat out cost you the BC game. How come when the gophers give up 6 or 7 goals their goalie was a sieve, but when the Sioux give up 6 or 7 goals their goalie was fine but it was their defense that let them down? Logical Sioux fans admit that Parise was terrible in Milwaukee

Two soft goals in an NCAA semifinal is two too many. You're right about the Denver game, he was ok in that one. But he flat out cost you the BC game. How come when the gophers give up 6 or 7 goals their goalie was a sieve, but when the Sioux give up 6 or 7 goals their goalie was fine but it was their defense that let them down? Logical Sioux fans admit that Parise was terrible in Milwaukee

um - ok - thanks (as if anyone here cares what you think)

you should add to your signature the Gophs record against Holly Cross in the Ralph.