SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs TIGERS (ROUND 2)

Tommiejo

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, folks, but UND does NOT look like a Frozen Four team - flu bug or not. Notable absences offensively tonight were Bochenski, Massen & Schneider. CC scores FIVE unanswered goals before I had to shut off the feed in frustration.

CC definitely looks like the better team tonight. Without D. Hale, this team appears weak.

I haven't watched; only listened. It messes with your head to be up 3-0 after one. It's only natural that you start to think it should come easily. Against a great team that can be a killer, and once the ice tilts that way, it's tough to get it back.

TH has made it sound like the Sioux defense is not only undermanned tonight but also sick. That could account for some of the "tired" look.

Whatever the reasons, CC was the better team tonight. UND'll have to try again tomorrow.

OETKB,

It's a long season. UND's other successful teams had their miserable moments, but they persevered. MN fans last year went over the edge when they struggled during January and February, and I hope we try to take it in stride.

JK:

I know you're right. In fact, I remember a 0-9 drubbing by Wisconsin back in the early 80's that was answered by an amazing Sioux victory in their run to an NCAA title.

However, I don't remember a big game where UND gave up 5 in a row after leading by three. Does anyone?

Blais, in his postgame show, said the team can't get negative, but rather needs to build on the performance of the first period tonight. Well, lets hope they can do so. However, that generally happens only if you get a decent 3rd period effort the night before.

Yuck!

UND95 said it best. The two periods I got to watch the Sioux looked flat. Like a 2 day old beer that you throw away. I wish I could have seen the first period but due to other commitments I couldn't. I was just wondering if I could get a little better recap of the first period. Did the Sioux play really well or did the Tigers just play flat like the Sioux did the last two periods?

This game was hard to watch. I would like to say thanks to Mike (you know who you are) for letting me join your table for a beautiful front row seat at Senser's.

First period the Sioux were dominating. Really had CC on their heals, I thought. But the 2nd and 3rd they got waxed. It seemed like every open puck was won by CC. The Sioux could get NO sustained offensive pressure, IF they could even get through the neutral zone.

Looked like Brandt could have stopped a couple of those shots and stole the win, but frankly if he would have had ANY help from his offense the last 2 periods that may not have been a factor.

Hopefully the boys can figure out what they forgot the last 2 periods and bring it tomorrow night. Frankly I am surprised we only gave up 31 shots. Seemed like a lot more to me.

I just had a bad feeling when the Sioux got up 3-0 so quickly. It was just too easy and I think it lulled the team into complacency. I'm not going to name names, but Blais was right in his post-game comments when he said there were certain players on each line who didn't play up to their abilities.

I hope tomorrow night, everyone gives a full 60 minutes of effort. A split looks awfully good at this point.

Ouch. I wasn't able to watch/hear the game, only get scoring updates on my cell phone, but I was leery of getting up so early in the game 3-0. Sounds like the team just packed it in after the first. Unfortunately, this stuff happens to every team at some point. Notes said in the Hurled that this is going to hurt all day (today). I hope it does, and I hope the team uses that *pain* to drive them to a better full game effort tonight.

To be honest with you I see it this way. First the late John McKay once said after a game one time the following. "It's going to take them 6 months to get rid of the oder in this place.: Bottom line "We Stunk." Hey let's be honest after the first period the "FIGHTIN SIOUX" did just that stunk up the joint. I hope tonight's game will a far lot better. Then again "LIFE HAPPENS." Do we agree or do we disagree?

I agree, Tommiejo, you can't win 'em all. I would have liked to win a few more pucks in the 2nd and 3rd period, though. That's what really stunk to me. It reminded me of the Sioux teams in the early 90's low points who couldn't win a race to the puck to save their lives.

It didn't bother me that we got up by 3 because I felt this team had the character and desire to keep CC from coming back. Not that I felt the game was over because it was CC and they had 2 periods left to play. LOTS OF TIME. But I thought we gave ourselves the easier row to hoe.

But CC really took it to us the rest of the game, and it really seemed to me that we were watching last year's team on the ice. That part sucked.

I didn't expect to sweep. I just didn't expect to get handled that poorly. Hopefully this is one of those games you can learn from and it makes you stronger.

I heard Hale is out. Someone on another board said there are more guys ill on defense. True or false?

Also, I would be interested in the postgame comments from Blais and crew.

Thanks

If I'm a CC fan, I'm making plans for Buffalo.

Then pack your bags too! Because the Sioux seem to have CC #'s in the NCAA's. :p

I give credit to CC they didn't tank being down 3. They are a team that is on pace, the question is will they pull a DU?(last year) ;)

The Sioux played like they had the game won after the first period and forgot that they had to play two more. :)

The one post-game comment Blais made that sticks out in my mind was about how all it takes is one guy on a line not playing hard to make the entire line look bad. He didn't say who they were, but I have my suspicions.

My wife said that she thought that Blais didn't sound as upset about the loss as she thought he would. I agreed with her and suspect that it was because there's another game tonight and it wouldn't do any good to publicly rip into anyone.

We need to have some of our big-game players step it up tonight and score more, especially if David Hale or any of the other defensemen are out.

Don't get me wrong, it's a team game first and foremost and the team lost. But one personal bright spot -- Parise continued his scoring success against tough WCHA teams. 2 pts last night gives him the nation's lead at 2.13 ppg (Sejna, whose only point was an assist on the empty net goal, has 2.00 ppg).

I just noticed in the box score from last night's game: NO penalties on Greene! :)

Blais says Siembida is starting tonight. Interesting choice. Now I'm nervous.

David Hale is still out.

Blais also says there will be some line changes tonight because of poor efforts last night. He specifically mentioned the Cullen line against the McMahon line.

Solid D by CC tonight. Sioux had to take chances in the third that resulted in odd man rushes by CC, and the third goal. Too bad Leinweber's shot didn't get inside the post to tie the game.

Shepard with a nasty game, awful.

Postivies were the PK, which was good all weekend. CC is much better at using the large ice surface to their advantage than are the Sioux. Would rather see the Sioux somewhere other than Mariucci in the playoffs.

What the heck went on after the game. Beer bottles thrown at the Sioux. Liebel pulling something that TH calls classless, and the Sioux won't shake his hand. :)? Apparently he was taunting the Sioux in the hand shake line.

Swept! Youch. Major damage to "The dream." Oh well, in any case, no matter what the finish to this season, it has been a great turnaround from last season.

Not that this team can't use this as a catalyst to grow, but CC pretty much dominated 5 out of 6 periods this weekend.