SiouxSports.com Forum

Suspense is killing me

ND4Life

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually when refering to academics, UND does rank higher than NDSU. Click on the links and take a look for yourself, UND ranks in the third tier, NDSU ranks in the fourth tier.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/d..._3005_brief.php

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/d..._9265_brief.php

Take a look at research dollars, NDSU is one of the top research universities in the region and I think US news underates NDSU because I don't think there really is that big of difference between the two.

Here are some rankings and the link.

Rankings start on page 77 of this PDF document. 2003 statistics are used. Chapman's goal is to be in the top 100.

NSF Rankings

Notables

1. Johns Hopkins $1.24 billion

4. U of Wisconsin 721 million

13. U of Minnesota 508 million

18. UC Davis 482 million

100. Virginia Commonwealth 126 million

122. NDSU 91.8 million

123. Montana State 91.5 million (first Big Sky school)

163. U of North Dakota 41.8 million

194. SDSU 27.6 million

I'm not saying NDSU isn't a good school, just to be ranked in the national rankings is good in itself. The thing that gives UND the better ranking is the top aviation school in the country and the fact they have a med school and a law school.

Thats great but I just don't see how you can call one school the academic jewel because both are great schools and both have their strong points. I am not trying to say one is any better then the other just that the two are pretty much equal.

Going back to athletics though, many people feel that NDSU and UND are tied to the hip. In my opinion, a D1 conference could care less about the rivalry. If the two teams are in the same division, it doesn't matter what conference they're in, because they can still play each other. NDSU shouldn't worry about UND and try to get into the conference they want to, and UND should finally make the move and get into a conference that fits them the best.

Go easy there bigmrg. Bigears is probably one of those NDSU fans that the Bisonville.com administrator had to ban this week because he can't stop them from talking about UND on his NDSU message board. :)

Bullocks!! He'll learn soon enought. I might have to wack 'em over the head with a 2-by-4 a few times to beat it into his thick head, but he'll learn, or die of massive brain hemorrhedge(sp?) ;)

You don't tangle with the Monster any without become somewhat smarter out of the deal, like mostly to know do that again. :D;)

Take a look at research dollars, NDSU is one of the top research universities in the region and I think US news underates NDSU because I don't think there really is that big of difference between the two.

Here are some rankings and the link.

Rankings start on page 77 of this PDF document. 2003 statistics are used. Chapman's goal is to be in the top 100.

NSF Rankings

Notables

1. Johns Hopkins $1.24 billion

4. U of Wisconsin 721 million

13. U of Minnesota 508 million

18. UC Davis 482 million

100. Virginia Commonwealth 126 million

122. NDSU 91.8 million

123. Montana State 91.5 million (first Big Sky school)

163. U of North Dakota 41.8 million

194. SDSU 27.6 million

The 2004 NSF Rankings may be different.

Actually when refering to academics, UND does rank higher than NDSU. Click on the links and take a look for yourself, UND ranks in the third tier, NDSU ranks in the fourth tier.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/d..._3005_brief.php

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/d..._9265_brief.php

Let's say you wanted to devise a system for ranking the quality of automobile manufacturers in the United States. Do you think a system which ranked car companies based on the following measures would be likely to yield reliable results?

1) A questionnaire sent to three executives at each auto manufacturer, asking them to assign a numeric ranking between 1 and 5 to each car manufacturer in accordance with their views on the companies reputation for quality

2) The selectivity of the manufacturer in its hiring of employees

3) Employee job satisfaction

4) How much it cost to build their vehicles

5) The percentage of return customers

6) Percentage of management holding MBAs or other advanced degrees

Let's say you wanted to devise a system for ranking the quality of automobile manufacturers in the United States. Do you think a system which ranked car companies based on the following measures would be likely to yield reliable results?

1) A questionnaire sent to three executives at each auto manufacturer, asking them to assign a numeric ranking between 1 and 5 to each car manufacturer in accordance with their views on the companies reputation for quality

2) The selectivity of the manufacturer in its hiring of employees

3) Employee job satisfaction

4) How much it cost to build their vehicles

5) The percentage of return customers

6) Percentage of management holding MBAs or other advanced degrees

*looks at this, shakes his head, and just says, "Too Easy." and walks away.

• 2 weeks later...

Being a second generation J-school grad it really is apalling the neglect shown by the administration over the past 30 years. At one time UND was right there with schools like Kansas, Missouri and Syracuse for journalism and produced the likes of Irv Kupcinet and Chuck Johnson. But while money was going to the business school and CAS, the journalism school was left to die on the vine. Hopefully the current situation can be resolved and the department can right the ship, but I fear that will take quite a long time.