SiouxSports.com Forum

Suspense is killing me

ND4Life

If UND decides to make the move up, just because both UND and NDSU would be in the same divison, doesn't at all mean they have to be in the same conference. Take University of Florida and Florida State, huge rivals, not far from each other, but different conferences.

Excellent point.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely disagree. There is nothing strong, good or healthy about the relationship between the two schools. I would say "nasty", "ugly" and "dysfunctional" are more descriptive words. The sports rivalry only serves to make an already bad situation worse. Both schools would be better off going their own separate ways.

Like it not, Grand Forks and Fargo are only an hour or so apart and well, its always going to be a heated rivalry. You're going to want games in which you sell out, and well, you do need opponents that people want to see their team beat, or opposing fans that will travel to the game to cheer on their team. Unless you have the Magical powers, or alien technology to phyisically move the entire City of Fargo to like somewhere in western ND or further away, you're stuck together. To spout off your opinion that NDSU doesn't need UND, especially on a UND fan site, just shows how much the education you got at NDSU failed to sink into your thick skull. :):D

Like it not, Grand Forks and Fargo are only an hour or so apart and well, its always going to be a heated rivalry. You're going to want games in which you sell out, and well, you do need opponents that people want to see their team beat, or opposing fans that will travel to the game to cheer on their team. Unless you have the Magical powers, or alien technology to phyisically move the entire City of Fargo to like somewhere in western ND or further away, you're stuck together. To spout off your opinion that NDSU doesn't need UND, especially on a UND fan site, just shows how much the education you got at NDSU failed to sink into your thick skull. :):D

Not that I don't want the Bison to play UND, I just don't see your point. When NDSU and UND are in the same NCAA classification, they will play again. A UND game right now would bring another $35,000 to $50,000 revenue in ticket sales, for a sold out game.

There's that nasty ugly attitude again.

That's the attitude. It never fails. Sioux fans always show their true colors.

Like I said, I'm simply speculating. SDSU & NDSU have tried & failed, tried & failed to gain acceptance to the Big Sky. I just think that a package could be more attractive to the BSC if it included the largest University in the Dakotas that happens to have hands down the nicest facilities in the Dakotas and the largest tv market in the Dakotas. :)

Like I said, I'm simply speculating. SDSU & NDSU have tried & failed, tried & failed to gain acceptance to the Big Sky. I just think that a package could be more attractive to the BSC if it included the largest University in the Dakotas that happens to have hands down the nicest facilities in the Dakotas and the largest tv market in the Dakotas. :)

You people are something else! You get criticized for your arrogant attitude and your comeback is more attitude. Is it any wonder UND is losing its friends?

To spout off your opinion that NDSU doesn't need UND, especially on a UND fan site, just shows how much the education you got at NDSU failed to sink into your thick skull. :):D

Go easy there bigmrg. Bigears is probably one of those NDSU fans that the Bisonville.com administrator had to ban this week because he can't stop them from talking about UND on his NDSU message board. ;)

Fine. UND can look out for UND, that's fine. NDSU had no control over that. But don't expect NDSU to roll out the red carpet for UND. I expect NDSU will treat UND's matter exactly the same as UND handled NDSU's matter.

An eye for an eye, I say.

I didn't realize that NDSU and SDSU controlled the Big Sky Conference. The last time I checked, they weren't even in the conference.

If UND is invited to join the BSC, it will be because the presidents of the BSC schools and Fullerton are convinced that it's in the best interest of the conference to have UND as a member, not because NDSU and SDSU approve.

I didn't realize that NDSU and SDSU controlled the Big Sky Conference. The last time I checked, they weren't even in the conference.

If UND is invited to join the BSC, it will be because the presidents of the BSC schools and Fullerton are convinced that it's in the best interest of the conference to have UND as a member, not because NDSU and SDSU approve.

True enough. But there's no way antagonizing NDSU and SDSU can do anything but hurt UND's chances.

True enough. But there's no way antagonizing NDSU and SDSU can do anything but hurt UND's chances.

Who's antagonizing besides you? Why wouldn't NDSU play the Sioux this year in football? We had our resean for not playing, because back when NDSU left it hurt our playoff chances to much to even WIN against a DIAA. We offerred to play, bc it doesn't hurt us anymore for playoffs. What's your reason now? Spite?

Seems to me, just the act of UND declaring DI intentions will antagonize NDSU and SDSU and certainly many of their fans. Half of the Bisonville posters will have to change their haughty signature lines about being the only DI school in ND.

Can't imagine the magnitude of the coming outrage from SU fans when it finally sinks in that UND leadership reallly has outmanuvered NDSU leadership in the DI transition. Unfortunately, all the scorn will be directed at UND leadership for displaying leadership traits like patience.

I suppose "don't go Joe" has already called the Big Sky presidents and told them not to vote for adding UND because UND supporters on UND's fan message board haven't supported NDSU and SDSU's moves to Division I(AA) 100%. Get over yourself, bigears.

Why wouldn't NDSU play the Sioux this year in football? We had our resean for not playing, because back when NDSU left it hurt our playoff chances to much to even WIN against a DIAA. We offerred to play, bc it doesn't hurt us anymore for playoffs. What's your reason now? Spite?

Minnesota Game = $250,000+

UND Game in Fargo = ~$50,000

They may have played had the Minnesota game not been available. :)

As an SDSU fan I do not care if UND goes DI if it helps us secure a conference. I think that your facilities are great, but I'm not sure your men's basketball team would ever be a huge draw with hockey going on at the same time. Football would probably be competitive as well as Women's basketball. It will all come down to money and if you can raise enough to make the move. I realize you guys already have a large athletic budget, but hockey takes it's fair share of that. Still, I expect you will make the decision to move up this Spring. I'm not sure how getting into the BSC would work however with you guys being a couple years behind us in the transition. We would be in a much better situation if you guys had moved up at the same time.

That's exactly what I tried to say earlier, NDSU and SDSU are going to have nothing to do with UND getting invited to the Big Sky or any other conference in the matter.

Saw this post on the D2Football Board.

Sounds like the UND Fighting Sioux are going to announce their plans to go NCAA Division I in May. Coaches are trying, and have been asked to keep it quiet but it is tough when you are out recruiting players who have DI potential.

It appears UND and NDSU will then go into the Big Sky Conference.

UND has been hurt the worst by the rivalry split. Sounds like from UND coaches, what really forced UND's hand was NDSU beating Wisconsin in men's basketball.

My question is, does this mean that the Big Sky has made an offer to UND and that is why there ready to disclose? I don't understand the attachment to NDSU, that puts 11 teams in the Big Sky, does this leave room for SDSU to be the 12th team in the BSC?

Once UND commits, how long before USD and others from the NCC follow?

Could you see the BSC look like this?

WEST: Sacramento St., Portland St., Weber St., Eastern Wa., N. Arizona, S. Utah, Cal-Poly, UC-Davis

EAST: Idaho St., Montana, Montana St., UNC, UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU

7 conference games, 2 cross over games, 2 non-cons plus a CC.

WEST: Sacramento St., Portland St., Weber St., Eastern Wa., N. Arizona, S. Utah, Cal-Poly, UC-Davis

The only canidates are NDSU, SDSU, and UND. UNO is too far away to be considered, the Big Sky wouldn't touch SUU with a 10 foot pole, and the Cali schools are happy in their bus league. A 16 team league is way to big and unstable anyway.

Saw this post on the D2Football Board.

Sounds like the UND Fighting Sioux are going to announce their plans to go NCAA Division I in May. Coaches are trying, and have been asked to keep it quiet but it is tough when you are out recruiting players who have DI potential.

It appears UND and NDSU will then go into the Big Sky Conference.

UND has been hurt the worst by the rivalry split. Sounds like from UND coaches, what really forced UND's hand was NDSU beating Wisconsin in men's basketball.

My question is, does this mean that the Big Sky has made an offer to UND and that is why there ready to disclose? I don't understand the attachment to NDSU, that puts 11 teams in the Big Sky, does this leave room for SDSU to be the 12th team in the BSC?

Once UND commits, how long before USD and others from the NCC follow?

I'd say it is all purely speculation, although I do believe that an announcement is forthcoming.

A 16 team league is pretty large for a division that has a playoff system and those 16 teams would be fighting for one auto-bid.

Cal-Poly has been asked in the past to join the Big Sky and declined. They have a good thing going with the Big West. I'd think that Davis feels the same way. I'm not sure that Southern Utah is a school that the Big Sky would be interested in, although they do have geography in their favor.

I fear that South Dakota is going to be the odd man out in all of this. If they do intend to move it is possible that they'll be the lone Dakota school seeking entry into the Mid-Con.

This summer, I plan on taking over as commissioner of the Big Sky, the Big West, the Great West, and the WAC. ;) My first order of business will be to send Sac. St and Portland St. from the Sky and into the Big West & the Great West for football. Next, I'll have Northern Arizona join the WAC, but let them continue to play I-AA football also in the Great West (If the Big East allows members Georgetown & Villanova to play I-AA football this shouldn't be a problem with the WAC :lol: ). Then I'll convince San Diego to offer FB schollies and join the GWFC as well. This will bring GWFC membership to 7, and make it quite geographically friendly. After I finish my tweaking of the southwest U.S., I'll bring in UND, NDSU, USD, and SDSU to join the Big Sky, creating the solid and relatively travel friendly 10 member Mid-Major conference that it should be! :D:)

Big West: Sac St., Portland St., Cal-Poly, Cal-Davis, Pacific, Irvine, Long Beach, Northridge, Santa Barbara, Riverside, Fullerton

WAC: Northern Arizona, Nevada, Utah St, La Tech, Hawaii, NM St., Fresno St., Boise St, SJSU, Idaho

Great West: Cal-Poly, Cal-Davis, SUU, Northern Arizona, Portland St., Sac St., San Diego

Big Sky: UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU, Montana, Montana St, Idaho St., Eastern Washington, Weber, Northern Colorado

;)

You people are something else! You get criticized for your arrogant attitude and your comeback is more attitude. Is it any wonder UND is losing its friends?

I don't understand how that statement in question can be construed as arrogant. UND has the largest enrollment in the North Dakota University system, the Ralph and the Al are two of the premier sports facilities in the state, and the Fighting Sioux network reaches homes throughout the area on satellite. UND moving to Division I was inevitable. We've already established ourselves as the crown jewel of the NDUS by becoming the premier academic institution in the state. We have an extremely wealthy alumni who love to support their university and their athletic teams. Who's jealous of who?

Can't imagine the magnitude of the coming outrage from SU fans when it finally sinks in that UND leadership reallly has outmanuvered NDSU leadership in the DI transition. Unfortunately, all the scorn will be directed at UND leadership for displaying leadership traits like patience.

Outmanuvered??? Had the SU's not gone DI do you really think UND would be looking at it? No way. I'm all for UND getting into the BSC with the SU's, but without the head start in DI by the SU's (they'll be tourney eligible sooner) UND wouldn't have a chance of getting an invite.

I don't understand how that statement in question can be construed as arrogant. UND has the largest enrollment in the North Dakota University system, the Ralph and the Al are two of the premier sports facilities in the state, and the Fighting Sioux network reaches homes throughout the area on satellite. UND moving to Division I was inevitable. We've already established ourselves as the crown jewel of the NDUS by becoming the premier academic institution in the state. We have an extremely wealthy alumni who love to support their university and their athletic teams. Who's jealous of who?

You want to know what is driving Big Sky expansion and is a major reason why UND might get in here it is.

Big Sky commissioner Doug Fullerton said