SiouxSports.com Forum

Suspense is killing me

ND4Life

Does anyone have anything approaching inside information on which way the committee is leaning re: a decision on Division I? I'll support whatever the members recommend and the administration decides -- DI or DII. I'm just curious whether any of this board's members know anything more than what we've read in the newspaper or heard elsewhere.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have anything approaching inside information on which way the committee is leaning re: a decision on Division I? I'll support whatever the members recommend and the administration decides -- DI or DII. I'm just curious whether any of this board's members know anything more than what we've read in the newspaper or heard elsewhere.

i talked with president kupchella about the issue after fridays game in the cities..but all i could get out of him was, "i dont want to leak anything yet, but there are some changes in place if some people agree". ha i know its really not much, but i thought it was cool you posted about it after i just asked him about it personally.

"...but there are some changes in place if some people agree".

If some people agree? Like maybe some DI conference presidents?

You can't tell me that there hasn't been some private phone calls made and closed door discussions. I am sure there is more going on than any of us know. Big 10 perhaps? We are in pretty close with a few of those schools already. I heard 2 of their presidents wil be visiting our campus this weekend. And by adding UND, the BTHC would be that much closer to reality. :D

You can't tell me that there hasn't been some private phone calls made and closed door discussions. I am sure there is more going on than any of us know. Big 10 perhaps? We are in pretty close with a few of those schools already. I heard 2 of their presidents wil be visiting our campus this weekend. And by adding UND, the BTHC would be that much closer to reality. :D

You'll have to get the city to build you a 30,000 seat fb venue. That's the min. seating for full DI fb.

You'll have to get the city to build you a 30,000 seat fb venue. That's the min. seating for full DI fb.

NCAA Division I Manual - 20.9.6.3

20.9.6.3 Football-Attendance Requirements.
[i-A] Once every two years, the institution shall average at least 15,000 in actual or paid attendance for all home football games.
(Revised: 4/25/02 effective 8/1/04, 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05)

Unless it has been revised once again...

NCAA Division I Manual - 20.9.6.3

20.9.6.3 Football-Attendance Requirements.
[i-A] Once every two years, the institution shall average at least 15,000 in actual or paid attendance for all home football games.
(Revised: 4/25/02 effective 8/1/04, 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05)

Unless it has been revised once again...

As far as I know, you are correct. Although the attendance requirement has never been enforced, and I seriously doubt it ever will.

As far as I know, you are correct. Although the attendance requirement has never been enforced, and I seriously doubt it ever will.

REPORT OF THE DIVISION I MANAGEMENT COUNCIL - 16OCT2005

I doubt that the NCAA would force an established DI-A institution to move to DI-AA if attendance requirements were not met...but I am not so sure they would let a DII institution move to DI-A in the same scenario.

In 2005, 14 teams had a single-year average home attendance less than 15000.

Big Ten?!?!? Are you joking or insane?

Can't a person be both?

They're talking about a Big 10 hockey conference. I don't see why it's crazy and/or humorous to imagine that UND could be part of that.

"And by adding UND, the BTHC would be that much closer to reality."

If the poster thinks that bringing UND into the Big Ten would bring the BTHC CLOSER to reality, he can't be talking about UND membership for hockey only. Presumably the BTHC would have to exist before UND could be "added". Also, given the topic of the thread it seems clear that the poster is seriously suggesting full Big Ten membership for UND.

Granted he might still be joking.

Wow, some people take everything a bit too literally. :D

Hey, the Big 10 has been trying to get Notre Dame to join for years now. But it doesn't look like ND is going to seriously look at that any time soon. So maybe the Big 10 has decided to go for the next best thing and go after the other Fighting ND that wears green.

But seriously, if Big Ten hockey ever happened, the two ND schools would be the first ones looked at to be associate members in hockey. I would take that!

I assume you're referring to NDSU. That's almost as nutty. I can't imagine either school doing better than Big Sky, Mid-Con or maybe Missouri Valley.

NOt that it was ever possible before, but the requirements to gain entry to the Mo Valley has gone way up: multiple NCAA bids, a seven figure entry fee, a 12,000 seat arena, and a large TV audience.

NOt that it was ever possible before, but the requirements to gain entry to the Mo Valley has gone way up: multiple NCAA bids, a seven figure entry fee, a 12,000 seat arena, and a large TV audience.

Things could change if/when the Big East implodes or if any MVC teams have any desire to play IA football. There aren't many schools that fit your criteria that the MVC could add now so who knows what would happen if they needed to replace schools. Right now and for the time being they are happy with 10 schools and I doubt they will ever find the school that would make them want to go to 12. The only possiblity is Memphis and since the MVC has not IA football that is unlikely to happen.

Things could change if/when the Big East implodes or if any MVC teams have any desire to play IA football. There aren't many schools that fit your criteria that the MVC could add now so who knows what would happen if they needed to replace schools. Right now and for the time being they are happy with 10 schools and I doubt they will ever find the school that would make them want to go to 12. The only possiblity is Memphis and since the MVC has not IA football that is unlikely to happen.

A few schools from the Horizon, like UW-Milwaukee and Butler, would be logical candidates for the MoValley and they meet all the criteria. The NCAA dollars and TV contracts that the MoValley will be getting will make the MoValley a much more lucrative conference to be in, without IA football.

A few schools from the Horizon, like UW-Milwaukee and Butler, would be logical candidates for the MoValley and they meet all the criteria. The NCAA dollars and TV contracts that the MoValley will be getting will make the MoValley a much more lucrative conference to be in, without IA football.

The Horizon schools seem happy where they are, they like the exposure they get from being in a conference full of schools in large media markets. Butler recently said that they have no interest in the MVC because they like being in a conference with schools in big markets and the MVC doesn't have that. That could all change but that is what I have heard.

Tho$e people would be e$pecially important but $ome other folk$ $ub$stantially agreeing $hould al$o be key to change$ taking place. Could it be tho$e folk$ he wa$ referring to in$tead?

Tho$e people would be e$pecially important but $ome other folk$ $ub$stantially agreeing $hould al$o be key to change$ taking place. Could it be tho$e folk$ he wa$ referring to in$tead?

How much money is needed to solve this half of the equation?

(The other half being a DI conference invite...)

How much money is needed to solve this half of the equation?

Money is like goaltending and horsepower: There is no such thing as "too much."

More seriously, Dr. Kupchella's office has said (from Feb 2002):

We estimate (conservatively) that we would need $2-3 million in additional revenue each year to do as well as we do now if we played across the board at the Division I level.

Note the words "each year". An endowment (guaranteed revenue stream) providing that much annually would be best.

Money is like goaltending and horsepower: There is no such thing as "too much."

More seriously, Dr. Kupchella's office has said (from Feb 2002):

Note the words "each year". An endowment (guaranteed revenue stream) providing that much annually would be best.

Would an endowment of $20-30 million provide $2-3 million annually?

Would an endowment of $20-30 million provide $2-3 million annually?

I'm not a finance guy; heck, I don't even play one on TV (and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night either).

However, what you're quoting is an annual return of 10%. The "normal" number I hear for expected return on an endowment is 5%. (In good years, meaning greater than 5% return on the investments, you use the extra to build the lump sum value for future return value.)

If you need $3 MM annually you'd better have a $60 MM endowment would be my non-finance-guy take.