SiouxSports.com Forum

Stafford Status Report

yzerman19

The Fighting Sioux are definitely playing at the top of their game. To win number 8, however, I believe that we are going to need Drew back. I would like to start this post for people to update on Drew. Is he practicing? How big a brace is he wearing? etc. The trouble with a knee injury for a skill player, is the brace will really limit his side to side mobility. I don't think he wil have any trouble going north and south, but his game is geared towards being one of the better skaters in college hockey. If he can't be 100% for the Regional, but is not in danger of worsening his injury, I'd love to see him on the penalty kill and fourth line. Getting through Michigan and MN in the Regional will require us to have all of our weapons. I'm also speculating on Drew and Porter's likelihood of turnig pro after the season. I would've said Drew was a sure bet, but this injury might keep him around another year. I am resigned to the fact that Smaby will be gone. I am pretty confident that Oshie, Toews, Zajac, Lee and CHorney will be back in the green and white for at least one more year.

The Fighting Sioux are definitely playing at the top of their game. To win number 8, however, I believe that we are going to need Drew back. I would like to start this post for people to update on Drew. Is he practicing? How big a brace is he wearing? etc. The trouble with a knee injury for a skill player, is the brace will really limit his side to side mobility. I don't think he wil have any trouble going north and south, but his game is geared towards being one of the better skaters in college hockey. If he can't be 100% for the Regional, but is not in danger of worsening his injury, I'd love to see him on the penalty kill and fourth line. Getting through Michigan and MN in the Regional will require us to have all of our weapons. I'm also speculating on Drew and Porter's likelihood of turnig pro after the season. I would've said Drew was a sure bet, but this injury might keep him around another year. I am resigned to the fact that Smaby will be gone. I am pretty confident that Oshie, Toews, Zajac, Lee and CHorney will be back in the green and white for at least one more year.

I am not sure why you think Porter would be gone? We will just have to see.

Heres a question I want to poise to you all. If Stafford does play this weekend which in all likelihood is going to happen who is in the stands Marvin or Miller? I personally would like to see Miller play as I think he has done an excellent job and has a much bigger upside than that of Marvin. But I believe Marvin will play due to his experience and the fact that he is a senior.

Heres a question I want to poise to you all. If Stafford does play this weekend which in all likelihood is going to happen who is in the stands Marvin or Miller? I personally would like to see Miller play as I think he has done an excellent job and has a much bigger upside than that of Marvin. But I believe Marvin will play due to his experience and the fact that he is a senior.

Pleeeeeeeeaaaaaassssseeeeeee let it be Miller. I think he is a dynamic player and quite fast. Marvin did not look good and took a terrible penalty in St. Paul. I expect Miller to be a mainstay in the line-up next year.

I was also thinking about the lineup. It'll take me a few steps to get there, but here's where I'm going. With Stafford out, Kozek took his spot on the second PP unit this weekend. Then, after the PP, Porter took Kozek's spot on the Watkins-Kaip line to give Kozek a rest. I know Kaip's first goal was scored with Porter on this line, and I think both might have been. On those occasions, Porter and Watkins seemed to work well together on the cycle.

So, with Stafford back, you could put Watkins-Porter-Kaip together, and Prpich-Kozek-Someone. It's interesting, but maybe it's best to just stick with what has worked pretty well down the stretch and leave everyone together, just substituting Someone directly into Fabian's spot.

I would love to see Drew back on the ice but if he is I sure hope he's really ready to go. We've got things working pretty good right now, and if Drew's got a bad wheel it could really hamper that line's ability to be a factor.

I'll trust Drew and the coaches to make the right decision, the coaches more than the player. Nothing against Drew. I think most any player is going to try and play if they can, but there's a difference between if they can and if they should.

That said, I'm hoping to see Drew out there on Friday because if he can go, he'll really help bring the offense we'll need this weekend.

From the Grand Forks Herald

NCAA WEST REGIONAL NOTEBOOK: Stafford returns to ice

UND standout forward still listed as day-to-day

by Brad SchlossmanHerald Staff Writer

Drew Stafford cruised up and down the ice Tuesday in Ralph Engelstad Arena.

Will he do the same on Friday against Michigan?

UND coach Dave Hakstol said the junior forward is still listed as day-to-day and a decision will be made later in the week on Stafford's availability for the NCAA West Regional.

Stafford has missed UND's last four games with a leg injury that he suffered in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association first-round playoff series against Minnesota State University, Mankato.

Stafford didn't practice last week, but he's since resumed skating with the team.

The Sioux, who have won nine of their last 11 games, went 4-0 with Stafford out of the lineup. The junior winger would provide an additional boost to an offense that has averaged 4.2 goals per game in the last five weeks. He also is one of UND's top penalty killers.

Stafford is UND's leading scorer with 23 points and 21 assists in 39 games. He consistently played on a line with freshmen Ryan Duncan and Jonathan Toews prior to his injury.

The Sioux skated lightly on Monday and had a regular practice Tuesday.

and if Drew's got a bad wheel it could really hamper that line's ability to be a factor.
I would think him slowing down & totally concentrating on putting the puck in the net could be a good thing - at times this year he has seemed to think he has to carry the load & do things with the puck that are above & beyond

Imagine his shots if he became a camper in front of the goal

Now I agree if it could cause greater injury - get healthy 1st

This morning DH stills says day-to-day and also said that he gets some funny looks when he says this. Day-to-day 3 days before gametime does seem alittle odd - all we can say is that he is not a for certain scratch - I bet he plays.

he'll be day to day until he steps onto the ice. this gives the sioux the ability to make mich guess whether stafford will play or not. they'll have to prepare a little differently if he is in, but also be prepared in case he isnt.

he'll be day to day until he steps onto the ice. this gives the sioux the ability to make mich guess whether stafford will play or not. they'll have to prepare a little differently if he is in, but also be prepared in case he isnt.

i think i heard somewhere hes been skating in practice;)

This morning DH stills says day-to-day and also said that he gets some funny looks when he says this. Day-to-day 3 days before gametime does seem alittle odd - all we can say is that he is not a for certain scratch - I bet he plays.

I'll bet he does too and remember what Yzerman did in the playoffs on one good pin. :ohmy:

It will take a mighty serious injury to keep Mr. Stafford out of uniform and off the ice on Friday. The guy is about as strong on his skates as anyone that I have ever seen. Crafty and quick too.

Here's saying there will be twenty-one guys warming up on Friday night, and either Miller or Stafford will end up riding the pine for the evening on a game time decision.