SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL Central Scouting rankings

jimdahl

Mid-term domestic player rankings for the NHL draft.

Sorry if I missed any of interest:

11 Zach Parise

44 Matt Smaby

98 Luke Beaverson

153 Chris Porter

176 Brady Murray

An impressive showing from our new recruits, particularly for a school that hasn't had quite as much of a tradition of grooming players for the NHL as some others.

http://centralscouting.nhl.com/amplayprofs...yRound?OpenView

• 3 months later...

Final NHL central scouting rankings are out (mid-term in parens for comparison):

9 (11) Zach Parise

51 (44) Matt Smaby

* (98) Luke Beaverson

148 (153) Chris Porter

183 (176) Brady Murray

* - hasn't yet opted in, so could replace one of the blank placeholders at #92, 95, or 107

Keep in mind that these are rankings for N.A. skaters, so actual draft position will be considerably lower when you add in Europeans and netminders.

Good to hear we have such highly regarded talent coming in next year. Not including goalies it looks like everybody new except Bina will come in drafted. Smaby must be an animal, having never played college and is already projected a late second / early third round pick... not bad at all.

Am guessing Stafford is too young to make the list.

For the purposes of draft status, it seems that sometimes size takes precendence over ability at this point in a player's career. So although a high draft status looks nice I don't think it necessarily means a player is going to be a star in the college game or from the get-go.

That is quite impressive to have so many young future Sioux players available. I believe the case with Stafford is similar to Montoya's of Michigan. He is first eligible for 2004, but because he is accelerated and is going to be playing this fall before his first eligible draft year, he cannot opt-in in 2004 because he will lose his NCAA eligibility. Therefore he is slated for 2005. He is already ranked I believe by Redline 21st overall for next years draft, if he decides to forego his NCAA eligibility. So I am guessing Stafford should be a really high pick, especially after two years of NCAA. Montoya is not going to opt-in in this June's draft and will return to Michigan for next season I believe.

As far as Murray, sure he and Zach are similar in size, but Zach has strength like a bull and will get in the corners and will compete with everything he's got to gain possession. Brady is more of a perimeter player, and relies on his linemates to battle for possession. I'm not saying Brady is not strong, he can definitely go with biggest, but I believe Zach has better "NHL" strength as well as competitiveness, which he obviously will continue to work on. For this upcoming season though, I think Zach needs a linemate or two who are willing to create space for him and get the puck to him so he doesn't have to waste all of his energy digging for it himself. As strong as he his on his feet, the fact is still that a bigger player's body can take more. And in turn, Zach won't wear down as quickly as he seemed to this past season. He just needed help.

Well it seems like the Sioux should be well represented in the next few years drafts and they seem to have a pretty bright future ahead of them. We'll see!

Did I miss something? Did somebody ask Slapshot to post the Central Scouting rankings of the rodents?

Slapshot, why don't you weave in something about your grades or something also--in other words, something that NONE OF US CARE ABOUT. The term for that type of person is called a "bore."

Did I miss something? Did somebody ask Slapshot to post the Central Scouting rankings of the rodents?

I didn't realize I needed your permission to post something relavent to a thread titled, "NHL Central Scouting rankings". I didn't flame, attack or belittle anyone and in fact, included a smiley face to indicate it was all in good fun. Perhaps I was wrong to assume I could participate in the spirit of the thread - hockey scouting and the hopes for the future of a hockey fans' favorite hockey team. I shall try to avoid bunching your panties in the future.

It's nice to see that future WCHA players are pretty highly regarded already by the NHL.

Here's a thought...was Grant Potulny recruited by Minnesota to get Ryan, much like Brenden Connely was to get Ryan? Only Grant ended up doing better than expected, and worked out pretty well for the Gophers. I'm not saying that this was the reason (So, Gopher fans don't go off on me), just asking if you all think it's a possibility.

I didn't flame, attack or belittle anyone and in fact, included a smiley face to indicate it was all in good fun.  Perhaps I was wrong to assume I could participate in the spirit of the thread - hockey scouting and the hopes for the future of a hockey fans'  favorite hockey team.

A Gopher fan coming to a thread about UND's potential NHL draftees to post nothing but a list of Gopher players and a smiley face is most certainly an attempt at taunting/trolling, and it's really not welcome here.

Back on topic -- anyone have any insights on why Beaverson wouldn't have opted in (or did his stock plummet so much that he fell of the list)? I thought that since he hadn't yet started playing in college that he could opt-in without losing NCAA eligibility, despite being 18. Or would opting in affect his USHL eligibility, since he does intend to return to the Gamblers next season?

Here's a thought...was Grant Potulny recruited by Minnesota to get Ryan, much like Brenden Connely was to get Ryan?  Only Grant ended up doing better than expected, and worked out pretty well for the Gophers.  I'm not saying that this was the reason (So, Gopher fans don't go off on me), just asking if you all think it's a possibility.

Rational (?) answer. :blush:

IMO - I think his character was as big a factor as his ability. I'm not going to claim to be an expert, but if Grant worked has hard in USHL games (and there is no reason to think he didn't) as he does in Gopher games he would be a no-brainer. Plus, you don't become an assistant captian as a sophmore, especially on a team dominated by upperclassmen, without some serious moxie. To me, I don't think Lucia is the type of coach to recruit one kid just to get another - especially four years later. Too much can change.

So to make a short story long, I disagree.

A Gopher fan coming to a thread about UND's potential NHL draftees to post nothing but a list of Gopher players and a smiley face is most certainly an attempt at taunting/trolling, and it's really not welcome here.

I see Jim, so you're going to aver what was going through my head when I made that post? Because it was not my intent to taunt nor troll. The title of the thread was not specific to any one team and I never had the impression non-Sioux fans weren't welcome here if they kept it civil. Well, I don't attack Sioux fans or make fun of the Sioux, so your accusation has no merit.

As for going after Grant to get Ryan, I don't know that it can ever be ruled out unless you were in on the decision, but I think Grey provides good reason to believe Grant presented enough upside to warrant his own

I see Jim, so you're going to aver what was going through my head when I made that post? Because it was not my intent to taunt nor troll. The title of the thread was not specific to any one team and I never had the impression non-Sioux fans weren't welcome here if they kept it civil. Well, I don't attack Sioux fans or make fun of the Sioux, so your accusation has no merit.

How about this? Take your condescending attitude and don't come back. :blush:

Alright. I apologize for assuming ill-intent -- I don't know what the actual intent was. I should have said that such a post will appear to many of us to be an attempt at trolling.

If that appearance wasn't obvious before, it is now. Fortunately, someone who actually doesn't want to troll would want to avoid giving such an impression in the future; so, if the intent truly wasn't to troll, then we're all cool from here out.

Jim, no problem. I appreciate your willingness to accept it when I said I didn't intend to troll. In fact, if you do a search for posts from me in this forum you should find comments from me that are complimentary to the Sioux team's chances for next season. As WCHA fans I think it's natural for us to play up the rivalry and it doesn't have to be done maliciously. I perhaps wrongly assumed having a bit of fun with the fans of a rival would have been recognized. Hell, even the Sioux fans next to me at the X for the WCHA Final Five game against CC mockingly sang the Rouser and I thought it was funny when they wore MSUM hats for the semi-final game. :blush: