SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL Central Scouting rankings

jimdahl

And I don't think Brendan Connelly was recruited to get Ryan. Ryan committed I think 2 years before coming on campus and Brendan was playing for Air Force.

Interesting...two friend's of mine thought that this was the reason (they were both student managers for the team last year), but I didn't know when Ryan commited to UND, so I just took their word for it. I did know about Brenden at Air Force, word was he was recruited pretty hard.

This was of course just speculation, as we could see no other reason why Brenden Connelly was recruited so hard from Air Force, other than to get Ryan here.

I seriously doubt Brenden was recruited FROM Air Force.

I believe that would not be within the rules.

I seriously doubt Brenden was recruited FROM Air Force.

I believe that would not be within the rules.

I think it's safe to say that neither of us really knows what happened, we're just guessing, at least that's pretty much what I am doing...Maybe Brenden transferred because of Ryan coming here.

I think it's safe to say that neither of us really knows what happened, we're just guessing, at least that's pretty much what I am doing...Maybe Brenden transferred because of Ryan coming here.

True

I could see that.

Hello all,

Just responding to the whole Ryan and Grant Potulny thing. I heard that it was a similar case with the Potulnys and Minnesota as it is with Phillippe Lamareaux (sp?) and UND. I believe Ryan and Grant's father or close relative played for the Gophers. So, it is more like "Like Father like Sons" I suppose.

I need clarification then on this whole drafting and NCAA eligibility thing. If Parise enters the draft this year that means he forfeits his NCAA Eligibility? I don't understand the system, sorry.

I don't have a complete answer for you but this will get you by until someone more knowledgeable pipes up.

There is particular age where you are 2 young to be automatically eligible for the draft but can opt in. Sort of like high school basketball players opting in to the NBA draft. In hockey if you do that you are ineligible for college hockey. I don't know the exact age but I will guess it is 18.

When you turn that age, you are automatically eligible for the draft. If you are drafted you retain your college eligibility.

There's probably a few more tangles to make a complete picture but this should put to rest your fears about Parise becoming ineligible.

However, Parise could be drafted, be given a good $$ offer, and decide to forgoe the college route and go straight to pro hockey. That could still happen.

redwing77--That is a new one to me. Ryan and Grant Potulny's father, Jay, grew up in North Dakota in a small town near Grafton. Their uncle, Dan Gaustad from Grafton, told me the reason Grant went to Minnesota is because he was not recruited by UND. Grant was set to go to UMD until Wisconsin and Minnesota showed up in the picture later. That is not to say that he would not have gone to Minnesota anyway, but UND made his decision pretty easy. Even after he was recruited by U of M, Jay Potulny went back to Blais and was very interested in playing for the Sioux. The Sioux had finished their recruiting and offered him no money. His dad was very upset about Grant not being recruited. As a result, even though Ryan was recruited hard by UND, he and his dad never gave it real serious consideration. If you want the straight scoop, talk with Dan Gaustad, an attorney in Grafton.

Although Grant has had a great career, there has been a lot of speculation that Lucia wanted Grant to get Ryan who was much better as a youth hockey player. Only Lucia knows, but Ryan has been talked about as a top prospect since Bantams. Grant has been a surprise.

Although Grant has had a great career, there has been a lot of speculation that Lucia wanted Grant to get Ryan who was much better as a youth hockey player. Only Lucia knows, but Ryan has been talked about as a top prospect since Bantams. Grant has been a surprise.

I'm sure Lucia recruited Grant so he could get Ryan. It could not have because the Gophers have consistantly lacked large, physical players with grit and determination.

Getting Ryan is a nice plus, but Lucia was very focused on bringing a championship team to St. Paul in '02.

Sagard, please spare your sarcasm. Did you ever see Grant Potulny play growing up? Did you see him play at Red River High School or in the USHL? This would not have been the 1st time that Lucia has recruited an older brother to get another. Remember Ian Petersen and Toby Petersen from Bloomington Jefferson? Ian was okay with the F-M Sharks in the USHL, but was hardly recruited. His younger brother Toby, on the other hand, was always very good and was heavily recruited. Lucia took both while at CC as a package.

As I said, Grant has turned out to be a very good player, but has also been a pleasant surprise because no one would have predicted that he would have done this well if they had seen him in high school or the USHL. Most Sioux fans will tell you that they are disappointed Grant was not recruited based upon hindsight and because everyone knew about Ryan and how much potential he has.

All that anyone knows about the situation (besides Donny himself and his coaches) is what has been said publically about it. Lucia has said numerous times that Grant was brought in cause he was basically the antithesis of the players we already had. He had very little skill (in regards to skating and puckhandling) but brought the blue collar work ethic the team needed if it ever wanted to compete for the National Title. He was also older and a leader and that is what the team truly lacked. Leadership from the Seniors was lacking save for Erik Westrum for the most part. In fact when UAA was in town Hill and Lucia talked about how when they were scouting the Viking Cup Grant stood out the most in their eyes and that was who they wanted.

That is all anyone really knows. I was hearing rumors about Ryan even back then and his reputation was just getting bigger. I tend to think if Ryan hadn't been around Grant still would have been on this team but I also dont think Ryan being a possible future recruit hurt. Like I said the only ones who truly know are Donny and his fellow coaches.

note: I am not trying to say you are wrong. You could be completely right and Donny and Co. could be covering up their true intentions. I don't know nor do I really care cause in the long run as we ended up getting a player that was an integral part in back to back titles. Not only that, but he made it a bit easier for people to accept non-Minnesotan player on the squad. If that is all because of Ryan, then thank you Ryan :blush:

Handyman--I totally agree and your message was very well put. If you read my original message, I specifically noted that only Lucia knows. Lucia may have taken him regardless, but you are correct that Ryan was discussed at the time. I remember talking to a number of hockey people in Grand Forks who were very frustrated that Grant was not recruited because he was a local kid and because everyone knew that would mean Ryan would probably follow his brother to Minnesota.

I also agree that Grant has been a great find for Minnesota and a team leader. It is hard not to feel good for him even though he plays for our hated rival. I have this awful feeling that you are also going to like Ryan and Danny Irmen and that they will be even better. :blush:

Sagard, please spare your sarcasm. Did you ever see Grant Potulny play growing up? Did you see him play at Red River High School or in the USHL? This would not have been the 1st time that Lucia has recruited an older brother to get another. Remember Ian Petersen and Toby Petersen from Bloomington Jefferson? Ian was okay with the F-M Sharks in the USHL, but was hardly recruited. His younger brother Toby, on the other hand, was always very good and was heavily recruited. Lucia took both while at CC as a package.

As I said, Grant has turned out to be a very good player, but has also been a pleasant surprise because no one would have predicted that he would have done this well if they had seen him in high school or the USHL. Most Sioux fans will tell you that they are disappointed Grant was not recruited based upon hindsight and because everyone knew about Ryan and how much potential he has.

I had never seen or heard of Potulny before the Gophers recruited him, but Grant's last season of USHL line is 25G 30A in 56 games.

Most guys who score nearly a point a game in the USHL get recruited. Grant may have exceeded expections from a points perspective, but from a size, age, grit, determination point of view, I believe Lucia and Hill knew exactly what they were getting.

The Petersen case is similar, but Toby was going to CC that same year. No questions on whether he would be the same player at 18 as he was at 15. I like the friends angle better, Sertich/Guyer, Irmen/Potulny.

I maintain that Lucia recruited players needed to try to win the '02 title in St. Paul. To say Grant was recruited in '00 to land an '03 recruit is highly questionable, the Gopher coaches had plans for the years in between.

Here is a quote for what it's worth. Although convincing you is probably like convincing me! :blush:

"He struggled the first couple of days of the tournament, and that's when UND saw him," Johnson said. "He played very well at the end of the tournament, and that's when Minnesota saw him. "UND was interested in him, but I think it just ends up being a numbers thing, where you can take only so many guys," Johnson said.

[i have this awful feeling that you are also going to like Ryan and Danny Irmen and that they will be even better. ]

I totally agree with you skateshattrick. I believe Danny Irmen brings the complete package (Size, Strength, Skill and Leadership) to the Loafers next year. I actually talked to him this last weekend (he played in a Lincoln Stars alumni game) and expressed my disappointment in not seeing him play for the Sioux next year. I also begged him to come up with some "mysterious" injury that would prevent him from playing against the Sioux, but to no avail. His only reply was that maybe, just maybe, I could add some maroon to my green colored heart :blush:

I just have a sinking feeling that he and Ryan will be constant thorns in the Sioux's side for the next few years.

I just have a sinking feeling that he and Ryan will be constant thorns in the Sioux's side for the next few years.

Well we [Gopher Fans] can only hope so! I must say I was a bit surprised when he committed here. I knew Potulny would but never would have predicted Iremn's arrival here on campus. I was very pleased to say the least :blush:

I still say that Donny should play the "All North Dakota" line against UND just for fun :D

Amn5hol--I have also seen Danny since he was a squirt, and watched him in Frank Burgraff's "dirty dozen." I have always thought that he was special. Last summer at one of Frank's camps, Steve Johnson told a friend that of all the kids at Lincoln, Danny has the best chance of playing hockey for a living. Of all of the ND kids that got away, this one bothers me the most. It would have been nice if the Sioux had at least recruited him before he committed to the Gophers.

I would have to agree with Johnson's assessment. I caught a lot of flack at the beginning of last year's (2001-2002) Lincoln Stars season because I kept saying that Irmen was the best player on the ice. He wasn't scoring very much (which is what everyone else was looking at), but if you watched closely, he was doing everything right.....fore-checking hard, working hard in front of the net, back-checking, unselfish with the puck, etc. He reminded me a lot of Grant Potulny, except with more skill. It was only a matter of time until his shots started finding the back of the net. It was also due to his leadership that the Stars were so focused on winning the Clark Cup this year. Something that Grant failed to do, BTW.

Above all of that, he is a nice kid. You can't help but root for him, even though he'll be wearing those ugly Loafer colors.

Sagard, please spare your sarcasm. Did you ever see Grant Potulny play growing up? Did you see him play at Red River High School or in the USHL? This would not have been the 1st time that Lucia has recruited an older brother to get another.

I didn't see Grant in HS but I did watch him play for Lincoln a few times prior to being a Gopher and I felt he was worthy of recruitment to the U in his own right at that time. He has exceeded my expectations from the standpoint of how good he has been scoring goals but his leadership, grit (something the Gophers needed) and hard work have been exactly as expected. We needed a guy like him.

I don't believe Lucia is gonna waste scholarship money on a player he doesn't think can contribute nicely to the team in his own right just so he can gamble on landing a sibling a few years later. Lucia may have had some brother combos in his time as a coach but most of them were talented in their own right.