SiouxSports.com Forum

Sorry Ralph

siouxtatoo42

Editorial in the Herald today Herald Editorial

Sportmanship effort at UND needs work

BISMARCK - Back on Jan. 21, I attended the UND vs. Minnesota State University-Mankato hockey game. A sportsmanship video on the arena's big screen showed a Sioux hockey player saying that he has to play by the rules. The video also reminded fans that they also should conduct themselves in a sportsmanlike manner.

But I was appalled at the real-life "sportsmanship" shown at this game.

While the video was nice in theory, there were two UND penalties within the game's first five minutes. When a Mankato player got a penalty, the loudspeaker played "All By Myself" and the big screen showed the player sitting in the penalty box. There also were times when the UND student section chanted "Gopher Rejects" to the Mankato players.

Another video was played on the big screen later in the game. This video showed a father taking his young daughter to a hockey game. The father was swearing at the game.

The next day, the mother asked the daughter how the game was, and the young girl repeated the words that her father had said. (The video bleeped out the profanity.)

Again, in theory it was a good video lesson. But during the game, there was a fight involving many players from both teams. This was poor sportsmanship on both teams' parts.

But one of the UND players started punching a Mankato player whose jersey was pulled over his head. Then the big screen caught and stayed with a Sioux player using the "F" word over and over again.

Many of the players from each team were put in their respective penalty boxes. Some UND students made a sign that said "Kiss Cam" and placed it up against the glass between two Mankato players. Once again, the big screen zoomed in on this display of poor sportsmanship.

When it comes to sportsmanship, perhaps UND players and fans should practice what they preach. It's time for the university to make sure that UND sporting events are appropriate for fans of all ages, and to take a consistent, firm stance against unsportsmanlike behavior.

N.J. Petry

i don't even know where to begin, so i will let whoever wants to sound off have their own go at it. My first reaction is that this is rediculous. I'm all for the games being fan friendly, but it's still a hockey game, and this person needs to relax a bit.

i don't even know where to begin, so i will let whoever wants to sound off have their own go at it. My first reaction is that this is rediculous. I'm all for the games being fan friendly, but it's still a hockey game, and this person needs to relax a bit.

I agree. This person sounds as if he or she has never been to a hockey game before. And I'm someone who has been down on Sioux fans for their poor behavior. It's also a mistake to assume that what happened at that game happens at all games.

That's hillarious. What a moron. :silly:

I agree with the old bat though. That fight between Joe Finley and Travis Morin? They shouldn't have punched each other, they should have french kissed each other. Wait, that might not be appropriate for all ages either

Sounds to me like this person missed the best part of going to the Ralph, the actual game itself, and concentrated on what was going on outside of the game. Hey I have a good idea Mr./Mrs. Petry, don't ever come again, it's one less stuffed shirt idiot worrying about everything else except what really matters, the game being played. P.S. check out a Bismarck Bobcats game , maybe you will get a clue what hockey is about before you waste your time and money next time.

I was just about to post that link, too. That letter annoyed me when I read it at 6:30 this a.m. and I'm still peeved. Someone send Petry's cornflakes to the lab for urinalysis. Imagine, he or she spent two months building up that vitriol! And even with all that lead time, the letterwriter obviously struggled to fill out his/her list of objections and had to resort to including the penalty box kiss cam and the "All by Myself" serenade as examples of poor sportsmanship. If Petry's sensitivities are so acute that those harmless expressions of rivalry and home ice advantage offend, I must assume that he or she attends few sporting events, no political debates and not many family dinners. Had Mr. or Ms. Petry stuck around for the end of the game he or she would have been treated to the quintessential expression of good sportsmanship, the hockey handshake. Though I wonder if he or she would have interpreted that as post-game taunting by the winning team.

I have to agree that letter to the editor is a crock. Home fans mocking the opposing players? Signs making fun of the visiting team? Hockey players dropping f-bombs while on the ice, where no one can hear them but themselves? Oh, the horrors!! :silly:

However I will comment on the ongoing problem at The Ralph, language. :lol: Not students, if they want to swear amongst themselves I have no problem with that. It's the plowed 40-50 year olds that have had 13-14 too many before the game and think that they are witty dropping 20 or 30 fingheimers and son-of-a-b!tche$ throughout the game. I split season tickets in 113 and the idoit in row L or M was getting to most to the fans in front of him. Luckily I didn't bring my 4 year old, we may have had to have a little chat. I don't have a problem ripping oppsoing players or the refs, but come on use some creativity. He sounded like a 10 year old who just learned how to swear.

Now I'm stepping off my soapbox. :)

OK, i have been holding off for a bone head gopher fan but whoever the hell you are you deserve this great award...i just wish you knew about this board to recieve your trophy...

MARCH 2006 TOOL OF THE MONTH!! CONGRATS..........

All_Steel_Claw_Hammer.jpg

OH YEAH....use some sense, oh my god that letter is a joke...also for you bone head gopher fans that will troll there way through this board in the next few days there is 1 more trophy available :silly:

Dear Students,

Everything that letterwriter rails against you about: Keep doing! :silly:

I'll take "Gopher Rejects" and "Kiss Cam" signs over "F" or "S"-bomb chants. :lol:

Signed,

A guy happy with how you're working with Tom Buning on those issues

Dear Letterwriter,

You said, "But one of the UND players started punching a Mankato player whose jersey was pulled over his head."

Can you think of a better time to punch the crap out of an opposing player? :lol:

Seriously, the jersey got around the Mankato player's head why?

Could it be that he was trying to do the same to a member of The Sioux?

Why, yes, it was.

If there was a mistake made there it was by the Mankato player in starting something and allowing someone else to finish it.

Signed,

A man who always secured the back-of-the-jersey tie-down :)

PS - "... there were two UND penalties within the game's first five minutes." Heavens! I bet that never happens in basketball, football, or any other team sport! Yeesh. :silly:

That's it, I'm never going to another hockey game again! From now on, it's NBA all the way where I can relate to multi-millionaire stars with rap sheets and attitudes like Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant, and Ron Artest. Or maybe major league baseball, where I can enjoy a game watching steroid-ridden freaks like Sammy Sosa and Barry Bonds obliterate home run records while playing in ballparks the size of my local team's softball field. And I just can't wait to see the next Terrell Owens meltdown in the NFL! Oh the drama!

On second thought, I'll see you at the X on Thursday for some hockey.

Maybe this guy and 10 others could form a group that feels they have been harmed by the game, do a couple of protests where they pretend to represent the majority, get CBS on board for a spotlight segment on this behavior and eventually ask the NCAA to ban hockey as a hostile and abusive sport..

I agree. This person sounds as if he or she has never been to a hockey game before. And I'm someone who has been down on Sioux fans for their poor behavior. It's also a mistake to assume that what happened at that game happens at all games.

Let's send him to a home and home series between Goophers and Bucky! Just so he can see real student section sportsmanship in action.

When I read the letter early this morning, I laughed.

If that letter is for real, it shows that some people will not be happy until everyone just sits on their butts and does not cheer or clap during the game and just watches it silently.

The complaints about language earlier in the year was legit, but this letter is a joke.

The good news is it appears no one here has fallen for the trap from this letter writer. While imho he/she had good intentions, they didn't really provide good examples of hypocritical behavior by the Sioux players nor their fans. Nothing to be ashamed about there, Sioux fans. Well, outside of being Sioux fans. ???