SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA first round

siouxguyinstpaul

Here we go again...

Maybe if the Gophers get upset in Grand Forks by the Sioux or anyone else, the NCAA will step in and eliminate schools hosting regionals. :whistling: After all, It's bad enough that Minnesota was sent to Kalamazoo back in 1997 (hardly U of Michigan country, but their fans cried about how ridiculous that seeding was anyways after they were eliminated by Michigan).

1998...UND overall #1 seed sent to Yost Arena...and loses to Michigan.

2001...Denver #1 overall seed sent to Yost also...and loses to Michigan.

Those are two instances of host schools who defeated higher-ranked teams en route to the Frozen Four because of the distinct advantage of playing in their own building. Denver wins the WCHA regular season outright and wins the Final Five and the reward is a meeting with Michigan in its own barn? C'mon, NCAA, you can do better.

Funny, but I didn't hear any Gophers crying about the seeding in those years. Denver losing to Michigan was huge because it meant Michigan playing Minnesota in the Frozen Four at the X and not Denver. Think Minnesota wanted to see Denver again that season after getting outplayed and outworked in the WCHA Final Five a few weeks before that? Not a chance.

While not playing teams ranked higher than them to create a situation like UND and Denver found themselves in above, Minnesota was able to use Mariucci to its advantage in 2003 and 2005. In fact, I'm not sure they would have beaten Maine or Cornell anyplace outside of Mariucci last year. Had the Gophers made the NCAA tournament in 2000, they could have again taken advantage of home ice. What goes around comes around, and if the Sioux take advantage of the situation by hosting the regional, my response will be "it's about damn time."

We complained so much in '97 because we should have faced the Sioux or been sent further east where CC breezed into the Frozen Four. It was a quarter final matchup between #1 PWR vs. #4 PWR. Water under the bridge now though. Woogs preparation or lack of for the Michigan game was the beginning of the end for him and the Gophers are a lot stronger program now.

UND needs to take advantage this year due to not knowing if they will ever get another regional as long as they remain the Sioux.

Good draws and bad draws are what makes winning NCAA titles so tough. Some years you have a great team and get a tough draw and other years you get the good draw and don't really have the team to go all the way.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We complained so much in '97 because we should have faced the Sioux or been sent further east where CC breezed into the Frozen Four. It was a quarter final matchup between #1 PWR vs. #4 PWR. Water under the bridge now though. Woogs preparation or lack of for the Michigan game was the beginning of the end for him and the Gophers are a lot stronger program now.

UND needs to take advantage this year due to not knowing if they will ever get another regional as long as they remain the Sioux.

Good draws and bad draws are what makes winning NCAA titles so tough. Some years you have a great team and get a tough draw and other years you get the good draw and don't really have the team to go all the way.

Well stated.

I have a question. What makes it a "home game" or a "road game"? Is it the fact that the majority of the crowd is rooting for you? Or is it because you are skating on a rink that you practice on every day for the whole season? Is that familiarity with the surroundings make it an advantage? Or is it that you have a crowd cheering for you that makes it an advantage?

I have a question. What makes it a "home game" or a "road game"? Is it the fact that the majority of the crowd is rooting for you? Or is it because you are skating on a rink that you practice on every day for the whole season? Is that familiarity with the surroundings make it an advantage? Or is it that you have a crowd cheering for you that makes it an advantage?

You mean you have several questions. Slow it down a little, Andretti......

So you're saying you guys are worried. ;)

Yes, I'm very worried about facing the sioux at the ralph. I'm realistic. I know how hard it is to beat the sioux at home. I'm not afraid to admit I'm praying we don't have to face the sioux but if we do we certainly have the team this year to do it. One loss in our last twenty games says it all. But I'm very aware of who that loss was to. The sioux are as talented as any team team in college hockey, just younger than most teams. I do have faith in my gophers but beating the sioux at the ralph is NEVER easy, especially during a regional when the crowd is over the top crazy. For you sioux fans who have never been to a regional in a home arena, you're in for a treat. I gaurantee you that after it's over you will all agree that you've never seen the Ralph with better atmosphere.

Yes, I'm very worried about facing the sioux at the ralph. I'm realistic. I know how hard it is to beat the sioux at home. I'm not afraid to admit I'm praying we don't have to face the sioux but if we do we certainly have the team this year to do it. One loss in our last twenty games says it all. But I'm very aware of who that loss was to. The sioux are as talented as any team team in college hockey, just younger than most teams. I do have faith in my gophers but beating the sioux at the ralph is NEVER easy, especially during a regional when the crowd is over the top crazy. For you sioux fans who have never been to a regional in a home arena, you're in for a treat. I gaurantee you that after it's over you will all agree that you've never seen the Ralph with better atmosphere.

It beginning to sound like Cornell all over again, or Woog in 1997. Getting to the NCAA Frozen Four shouldn't be easy. That would be awesome for UND to play Cornell beat them and then take out the Goofers in the championship game.

It beginning to sound like Cornell all over again, or Woog in 1997. Getting to the NCAA Frozen Four shouldn't be easy. That would be awesome for UND to play Cornell beat them and then take out the Goofers in the championship game.

It's completely different. He's not saying it's unfair for the Gophers to have to play UND at REA, he's saying he'd rather not have to. Big deal. I myself hope we do. :lol:

It's both, and more. It's not having to travel, sleeping in your own bed, familiarity with the surroundings, the crowd cheering for you, etc.

Many Gopher fans claim that the X isn't really home-ice advantage because it's not the arena they play in, but anyone whose been to a Gopher game at the X knows it certainly is. They still have most of the indicia for home-ice advantage.

It's both, and more. It's not having to travel, sleeping in your own bed, familiarity with the surroundings, the crowd cheering for you, etc.

Many Gopher fans claim that the X isn't really home-ice advantage because it's not the arena they play in, but anyone whose been to a Gopher game at the X knows it certainly is. They still have most of the indicia for home-ice advantage.

I've always considered a "home game" as any game in which one team doesn't have to travel very far in order to play the game. According to mapquest, the X is 13 minutes from the Mariucci. THat isn't very neutral to me. It doesn't necessarily mean crowd make up or what color jerseys you wear. It all has to do with travel to me.

Smoggy, Smoggy, Smoggy... :lol: . We don't have to worry about the NC$$'s idiocity. We've got it covered, babe. :)

Not really. No matter what ends up happening, I doubt UND will ever host a hockey regional again, as the NC$$ doesn't have to let UND host regionals. It's not like basketball where the regionals are decided by who the top seed is. So the NC$$ can just decide that they aren't going to have UND host regionals again.

Not really. No matter what ends up happening, I doubt UND will ever host a hockey regional again, as the NC$$ doesn't have to let UND host regionals. It's not like basketball where the regionals are decided by who the top seed is. So the NC$$ can just decide that they aren't going to have UND host regionals again.

So, even after we win the logo, nickname fight, the NC$$ can and will say,"Fine but we don't have to give you any more benies." :D

BA$TARDS! :)

The same Gopher fans claiming that the X is a neutral-ice site would also be the first ones grumbling if Milwaukee and the Kohl Center hosted the WCHA Final Five every year as being home-ice advantage for the University of Wisconsin.

Completely off subject, but did anyone else catch that the CCHA changed its "Super Six" tournament format this year? Instead, the top four teams in the conference all receive first-round tournament byes. The next eight seeds play each other in a best of three series at the top-ranked team's site (#5 vs #12, #6 vs #11, #7 vs #10, and #8 vs #9) and the winners move on to play seeds #1, #2, #3, and #4.

The same Gopher fans claiming that the X is a neutral-ice site would also be the first ones grumbling if Milwaukee and the Kohl Center hosted the WCHA Final Five every year as being home-ice advantage for the University of Wisconsin.

Completely off subject, but did anyone else catch that the CCHA changed its "Super Six" tournament format this year? Instead, the top four teams in the conference all receive first-round tournament byes. The next eight seeds play each other in a best of three series at the top-ranked team's site (#5 vs #12, #6 vs #11, #7 vs #10, and #8 vs #9) and the winners move on to play seeds #1, #2, #3, and #4.

Would the next series against the top 4 be a two out of three? Then a four team single game tourney the following weekend?

It would be a way to probably keep the top teams PWR from slipping since they won't necessarily be playing bottom feeders.

So, even after we win the logo, nickname fight, the NC$$ can and will say,"Fine but we don't have to give you any more benies." :lol:

If they were smart, they wouldn't. The two key words are "if" and "smart." ;)

Diggler, buddy. Think anti-trust. Think tripled damages.

If UND can prove in court that it's being treated differently than other NCAA members and being put at a competitive disadvantage, the NCAA better be prepared to write some big checks.

Diggler, buddy. Think anti-trust. Think tripled damages.

If UND can prove in court that it's being treated differently than other NCAA members and being put at a competitive disadvantage, the NCAA better be prepared to write some big checks.

Yessss!!!!!

We can fund our D1 scholarships...

That is why it was fun watching UND dismantle the Gophers in the X last spring.

Would the next series against the top 4 be a two out of three? Then a four team single game tourney the following weekend?

It would be a way to probably keep the top teams PWR from slipping since they won't necessarily be playing bottom feeders.

Yes, the second round is also best of three, and the tourney format minimizes PWR hits for the top teams.