SiouxSports.com Forum

GF Natives

GBpakrzz

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't care less where gopher players come from. As long as they want to wear the "M" they will be true gophers. Just because I'm proud of the amount of Minnesotans in college hockey doesn't mean I care where the Gopher players come from. Nice try though.

Hey Buckysieve you forgot one more thing in your signature ............

Minnesota Gophers ........... #1 in most runner-up & consolation banners hanging in home rink! :lol:

You sound pretty bitter about losing out on these guys! My guess is the Potulnys will be remembered as the players who broke the "Minnesota barrier" and had a direct influence in bringing a national championship to the program after a 23-year drought. North Dakotans should take pride in that.

Grant will be the one that won a national title: the other two ND boys, Irmen and Young Potulny will be remembered as the two that didn't win a title, and left school early after the HC loss. Darn that sucks. Now both are in the AHL. Enough said.

By the way, the obsession with the Minnesota hockey program on this site is absolutely hilarious. You people are seriously as bad as Duluth and St. Cloud fans. Although I can see how frustrating it must be to have Minnesota as your #1 rival and not have the Gophers feel the same way about you.

I just love these skippies/clowns from Minnesoda that come on this board and spout off about how the Sioux (look Siouxhater its Sioux not Sue, what can't goofer fans can't spell Sioux?) aren't their rival, I am sure some of the players on both side of the issue would respectfully disagree with your assessment. Please, tell that to the Sioux and Gopher teams that played in 1979 and 1980. Its laughable to read a comment as silly and as stupid as that comment. Its almost as silly as the pipe dream known as the Big Ten Hockey conference. :lol:

The story I heard why the Sioux didn't get any of the Potulnys was that The Potulny's Father told Blaiser that either you take them both or you get neither of them. I have heard this more than once over the years, and I wouldn't doubt its true.

Edited by Goon

Goon, you do realize that you're responding to 8-month-old posts, don't you? :lol:

Now that you mention it, no, but I have an excuse I was at work working the overnight shift and

the mind does funny things at 0300 in the morning.

Ducktober was hard on ol Goon :lol:

It was actually harder on my dog. I had to take him to the vet after he tried to go through a fence when we were out hunting Pheasants, 200.00 dollars later and 2 weeks on the shelf he is ready to go hunting again. However, Dakota doesn't realize Deer hunting doesn't envolve dogs, he will be home for another weekend sitting on the couch with the wife. We will be back out it soon though as I am making the trip south to SD Thanksgiving weekend. Duck hunting was good for the first weekend then the ducks hightailed for greener pastures points south of here.

I just love these skippies/clowns from Minnesoda that come on this board and spout off about how the Sioux (look Siouxhater its Sioux not Sue, what can't goofer fans can't spell Sioux?) aren't their rival, I am sure some of the players on both side of the issue would respectfully disagree with your assessment. Please, tell that to the Sioux and Gopher teams that played in 1979 and 1980. Its laughable to read a comment as silly and as stupid as that comment. Its almost as silly as the pipe dream known as the Big Ten Hockey conference. :lol:

The story I heard why the Sioux didn't get any of the Potulnys was that The Potulny's Father told Blaiser that either you take them both or you get neither of them. I have heard this more than once over the years, and I wouldn't doubt its true.

But the Gophers do view UND as a big rivalary. I recently interviewd Alex Goligoski and he even said in my interview that they UND and WI are their two biggest rivals and they really get hyped up for the UND game. So Siouxhater get your facts straight or shut up.

But the Gophers do view UND as a big rivalary. I recently interviewd Alex Goligoski and he even said in my interview that they UND and WI are their two biggest rivals and they really get hyped up for the UND game. So Siouxhater get your facts straight or shut up.

The fact is that for the last 25 years UND was getting almost all the "homegrown" talent. The fact that MN got the Potulny's and Irmen and the UND didn't, shows how far Grand Forks youth and high school hockey has progressed.

I can remember when Dave Christian came to the UND and MN fans were yelling "traitor"! Great stuff for rivalries...

GFC79

Funny you should bring up the 79-80 teams. I was sitting around with some friends (Ya, I have a few) the other day. We had each consummed several local brews and we started talking about the 1980 Gopher team. It sure would have been nice to see that team with Mike Ramsey, Rob McClanahan, Eric Strobel, Steve Chritoff and Neal Broten on it. Maybe the biggest loss that year was lossing the coach, Herb Brooks. All of these players would have been on that team, except they went to play on the 1980 Olympic team. WHO knows what would have happened. MAYBE with those players we go on and win the National Championship. Then it it would be 6=6, not 7>5. Oh well, that could be a thread all in its self. Another reason you measure a hockey program in othere ways than just how many NC it has won.

GFC79

Funny you should bring up the 79-80 teams. I was sitting around with some friends (Ya, I have a few) the other day. We had each consummed several local brews and we started talking about the 1980 Gopher team. It sure would have been nice to see that team with Mike Ramsey, Rob McClanahan, Eric Strobel, Steve Chritoff and Neal Broten on it. Maybe the biggest loss that year was lossing the coach, Herb Brooks. All of these players would have been on that team, except they went to play on the 1980 Olympic team. WHO knows what would have happened. MAYBE with those players we go on and win the National Championship. Then it it would be 6=6, not 7>5. Oh well, that could be a thread all in its self. Another reason you measure a hockey program in othere ways than just how many NC it has won.

What if a former Minnesotan Mr. Hockey hadn't suffered a tragic death before donning the Kelly Green. What if Ed Belfour had stuck around four years. What if UND had serious DI hockey at the same time as UMTC and started the Winnipeg pipeline early. What if your Aunt had a beard, would she be your uncle? You Gopher fans sure like to dwell on the what ifs.

GFC79

To: United States hockey fans

Subject: 1980 Olympic Gold Medal

:D:D;)

What if a former Minnesotan Mr. Hockey hadn't suffered a tragic death before donning the Kelly Green. What if Ed Belfour had stuck around four years. What if UND had serious DI hockey at the same time as UMTC and started the Winnipeg pipeline early. What if your Aunt had a beard, would she be your uncle? You Gopher fans sure like to dwell on the what ifs.

Would someone fill me in here? I'm having serious brain fade with this one. Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

Would someone fill me in here? I'm having serious brain fade with this one. Thanks in advance.

It's the price of success. Both programs, and Wisconsin, have and will vie for the best players & coaches. Anything short of the National Championship is seen as some degree of failure. But when they win it, and the good ones "Go Pro", it's tough to argue their choice. That's their dream.

At the end of the day, I don't think any of us really regret not having had these great players for a full 4 years (well, maybe a little). Not having had them in our programs at all would really be a regret!

I get just as big a kick about being able to say "That guy played at North Dakota" when I see them in the NHL.