SiouxSports.com Forum

GF Natives

GBpakrzz

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may think that they will not be forgotten in Minnesota, for now, as they are currently still playing. Give it time.

All of us Sioux fans and the greater Grand Forks area will forget about them soon after their college playing days are done.

They could have been home-town heroes, if they would have played and performed as well for the Sioux, who knows what may have happened. They could have been somebody, soon they will be has-been goofers.

You sound pretty bitter about losing out on these guys! My guess is the Potulnys will be remembered as the players who broke the "Minnesota barrier" and had a direct influence in bringing a national championship to the program after a 23-year drought. North Dakotans should take pride in that.

You sound pretty bitter about losing out on these guys! My guess is the Potulnys will be remembered as the players who broke the "Minnesota barrier" and had a direct influence in bringing a national championship to the program after a 23-year drought. North Dakotans should take pride in that.

Not exactly bitter, but the Sioux lost in the NCAA championship game in '01 and in '05, and had pretty good teams in between with players like Parise and Bochenski woh didn't quite get there. I imagine more than a few Sioux fans have wondered how many national titles might have been won if the Potulnys and Irmen had been playing for the Sioux instead of Minnesota. We wouldn't be jealous if they weren't good players.

John

I miss the good old days where Gopher fans loudly proclaimed "at least we're all Minnesota kids" no matter what. Win a couple of national titles with some North Dakota kids and an Austrian and now every Gopher fan you meet always hated Woog's policy anyways. :lol:

Well, Dad Jay played Baseball at UND, so there is a Sioux history.

I suspect Blais did not recruit Grant "hard" then Lucia did (to stick it to UND with his mandate to recruit world wide?), and Grant went to UM. Of course Ryan would follow Grant and then Irman followed Ryan. Will ND exodus continue? I don't know, but we steal a lot from Mn., so in the end we still end up ahead.

$hit happens! We have Oshie, and many others right now!

listen with out MINNESOTA the Sioux would not have the program that you have........tell me I am wrong!!!!!!

Ok, I will admit it When the Gophs won that first title in 2002, I prayed that "if they are going to win, let the ND kid get the winning goal." Too bad I didn't realize how much of a thorn in the Sioux's side he was going to become. Dean Blais was quoted as saying once upon a time that "It was our fault we didn't get Grant. It's Ryan's fault that he didn't come here." I can believe the explanation someone had on here about Irmen not being recruited by UND, because I was actually told that story by someone who knows the kid. Even though I would have rather seen them in green and white, I have to admire the fact that Dany and Ryan stuck together.

thats fine - thanks for admitting you care where players come from

Hey buddy, this thread was started by a Sue fan wondering why two North Dakota boys left the state to play for the Gophers. So you keep thinking it's the Gophers fans who have issues with where players come from.

By the way, the obsession with the Minnesota hockey program on this site is absolutely hilarious. You people are seriously as bad as Duluth and St. Cloud fans. Although I can see how frustrating it must be to have Minnesota as your #1 rival and not have the Gophers feel the same way about you.

you are telling me that the state of Minnesota has not helped the Sioux program at all over the years....

no, i believe someone was making fun of gopher fans comments about the sioux using 25 yr old canadians to improve their program, and what I said was we will admit it when gopher fans admit that without the NORTH DAKOTA boys, they wouldn't be enjoying the succes of the last 6 yrs (including 2 NCAA titles)

Bottom line: It just doesn't matter where they come from. It matters if they want to be there and if they represent your school, state and hockey program in a positive manner. There will always be those who "get away".

To me if they want to be somewhere else, let 'em go. Wish them well and hope we are still stronger on the ice when we meet head to head. If not, tip your cap and get 'em next time.

Hey buddy, this thread was started by a Sue fan wondering why two North Dakota boys left the state to play for the Gophers. So you keep thinking it's the Gophers fans who have issues with where players come from.

By the way, the obsession with the Minnesota hockey program on this site is absolutely hilarious. You people are seriously as bad as Duluth and St. Cloud fans. Although I can see how frustrating it must be to have Minnesota as your #1 rival and not have the Gophers feel the same way about you.

So, what are you doing on this forum? It looks like you're obsessing about UND Fans' obsession over the gopher program. Take your own advice.

Hey buddy - your handle says alot about you and obsession with other hockey programs

Gopher fans do not boo opposing players who are from Minnesota. If that was the case we'd be booing every time an opposing player touches the puck. I've had season tickets for the gophers since '89 and booing players from Minnesota has never been an issue. Marty Sertich got a very nice ovation from the Mariucci crowd about a month ago when they were in town. Kessel in Madison, and the potulny's and Irmen in Grand Forks get booed more than any opposing player has at Mariucci. We're used to Minnesotans playing on other teams. Did you know that last year at the Frozen Four, 42% of the players involved were from Minnesota? It's old hat for us to see other rosters filled with Minnesotans, therefore we are rarely bitter about losing a player(with the exception of Z. Parise).

Gopher fans do not boo opposing players who are from Minnesota. If that was the case we'd be booing every time an opposing player touches the puck. I've had season tickets for the gophers since '89 and booing players from Minnesota has never been an issue. Marty Sertich got a very nice ovation from the Mariucci crowd about a month ago when they were in town. Kessel in Madison, and the potulny's and Irmen in Grand Forks get booed more than any opposing player has at Mariucci. We're used to Minnesotans playing on other teams. Did you know that last year at the Frozen Four, 42% of the players involved were from Minnesota? It's old hat for us to see other rosters filled with Minnesotans, therefore we are rarely bitter about losing a player(with the exception of Z. Parise).

Oh, you're right Goofer fans wouldn't stoop to booing a opposing player from MN..........Did you sell your season tickets for the 2002-20 season when Parise got booed the whole game in Maryucky?

Oh, you're right Goofer fans wouldn't stoop to booing a opposing player from MN..........Did you sell your season tickets for the 2002-20 season when Parise got booed the whole game in Maryucky?

hrkac, just to help you out

did you see the tail end of the that above post...it says...(with the exception of Z. Parise).

hrkac, just to help you out

did you see the tail end of the that above post...it says...(with the exception of Z. Parise).

what do you mean? he stated that they don't boo players like they do at the Ralph and Kohl because the're all class. he stated that Zach was the only player MN fans were bitter about losing becuase MN deserves to get all the players they want (deserve) and that without his state there wouldn't have been a Frozen Four last year. that's the type of arrogance i love in a goofer fan.

• 8 months later...