SiouxSports.com Forum

Retaliation? or cheap shot?

southpaw

Sioux definintely played with an attitude tonight and it showed why NO one wants to play the Sioux this time of year, even the #1 team in the country. I know the gophers are squirmin in their seats a little bit more after tonights win... the bracket was looking much easier for them before tonights win.

I think the Gophers would love to play the sue at the Ralph in the West Regionals... thats if the sue can even make the National Tournament rember fools the season is not over.......

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved Prp's little reminder to Pauky, just to let him know that the Sioux remember what he did. Paukovich has to be skating lightly out there knowing things like that can happen(and should) more to him. I would never encourage something that would seriously injure a player, but I highly promote little "love taps" against the Paukovich's of the world. He has to have his head on a swivel when Prp's on the ice with him. :D Prp picked the perfect time, which as stated earlier, isn't always the case.

I loved Prp's little reminder to Pauky, just to let him know that the Sioux remember what he did. Paukovich has to be skating lightly out there knowing things like that can happen(and should) more to him. I would never encourage something that would seriously injure a player, but I highly promote little "love taps" against the Paukovich's of the world. He has to have his head on a swivel when Prp's on the ice with him. :D Prp picked the perfect time, which as stated earlier, isn't always the case.

What's a love tap? Dude, you can't have it both ways. The Sioux need to keep Pauk's head on a swivel, and let's admit there's risk to that; he could get hurt, but anybody could get hurt. You sound like a stock analyst that says he highly recommends a certain stock, but then caveats it with a buttload of risks and issues, effectively saying "don't blame my recommendation if the stock tanks though". You can't have reward (scaring Pauk), without risk (possible injury). Face it.

Sounds like the Sioux played their "A" game tonight. Regarding the nutjob, despite what Prpich might say, it's not about Paukovich but about Prpich. I love his hustle and his willingness to play a checking game when his is asked to, but when he pulls that kind of stuff he is underestimating what he can do as a hockey player, IMO. His team needs him on the ice, not in the box. All that stuff about being the kind of player others hate but would love to have gets old. I would guess that his penalties served/penalties drawn ratio is a substantial minus.

Great game for the Sioux. Another one like that tonight would be huge.

I think for a little guy Prp is just mean and nasty and I think that is a good quality to have and it adds the edge to the game that makes people think twice about going into the corner with him. I think Punkovich is going to think twice next time he faces off against any of the Sioux.

What's a love tap? Dude, you can't have it both ways. The Sioux need to keep Pauk's head on a swivel, and let's admit there's risk to that; he could get hurt, but anybody could get hurt. You sound like a stock analyst that says he highly recommends a certain stock, but then caveats it with a buttload of risks and issues, effectively saying "don't blame my recommendation if the stock tanks though". You can't have reward (scaring Pauk), without risk (possible injury). Face it.

Dude, you and a few others here have totally lost focus on what the Sioux need to do here. This isn't about Paukovich. You and Goon and a few others don't seem to understand that. What if we do scare Paukovich? What if we scare him silly? And, while we're doing that, DU goes on and scores more goals than we do? Is that worthwhile? "Sure we lost, but dude, we had Paukovich crying all night long!" :D

I could give a royal **** about Paukovich. I could care less about him. I want us to score goals and win the game. If that means enduring another Pauko cheap shot because we ignored him all night long, so be it.

Just win baby. Go Sioux.

Thats fricken hilarious.

We all take pleasure in what happened to Pauk last night.

However, this only gives Denver more motivation for tonights game and puts us closer to accurately being labeled by others as "cheap" and "dirty". Why would we want this as an outcome ? Let others carry the torch for this kind of stuff. I we condone it - we are no better than anyone else we accuse.

However, this only gives Denver more motivation for tonights game and puts us closer to accurately being labeled by others as "cheap" and "dirty". Why would we want this as an outcome ? Let others carry the torch for this kind of stuff. I we condone it - we are no better than anyone else we accuse.

Exactly. It's what many here have been saying all along. The best revenge on Paukovich is eliminating DU from the NCAAs. If we win tonight, there's a good chance we'll do just that.

Seriously: Some of you guys think this Paukovich deal is more important that UND winning! Get a grip!

Dude, you and a few others here have totally lost focus on what the Sioux need to do here. This isn't about Paukovich. You and Goon and a few others don't seem to understand that. What if we do scare Paukovich? What if we scare him silly? And, while we're doing that, DU goes on and scores more goals than we do? Is that worthwhile? "Sure we lost, but dude, we had Paukovich crying all night long!" :D

I could give a royal **** about Paukovich. I could care less about him. I want us to score goals and win the game. If that means enduring another Pauko cheap shot because we ignored him all night long, so be it.

Just win baby. Go Sioux.

You might need to explain yourself a little better since I was applading the Sioux winning last night and I also said it was the first concern for UND. Your logic is flawed because none of us want to endure a another Paukovich cheap shot like the one on TJ Oshie, another player might end up in the hospitial. Notice all of the players Punkovich hits are smaller players not anyone like Smaby or Finely, the kid is a gultess punk and as long as he plays in this league UND fans will be concerned every time he hits the ice. Also, fans can lose focus because we are not playing the hockey game. Ohhh, your a good fan because your in focus. Focus for what. Some people can't even see the ice because they are so drunk.

So by Prpich sticking that piece of $#!t in the nuts last night probably did more good than bad. It reminded Punkovich that we are still out there and makes him think twice about cheaping another Sioux player. Hockey is a game of intimidation and if you disagree with that statement you have your head in the sand. Smaby's hit on Carle last night was a perfect illustration of that.

Exactly. It's what many here have been saying all along. The best revenge on Paukovich is eliminating DU from the NCAAs. If we win tonight, there's a good chance we'll do just that.

Seriously: Some of you guys think this Paukovich deal is more important that UND winning! Get a grip!

RedWing take a deep breath, this is a college hockey game, which is a contact sport with brutal hits. Are you going to police the whole message board and tell people that we can't chear a good hard hit or a retalitory hit on a @$$hole hockey player that takes liberties up and down the ice on mostly smaller skilled players, I have yet to see him go up against a bigger player like Smaby or Finley for that matter. For god sakes, your being a little over reactional, let some of us enjoy the moment, I thought it was funny. I don't think any of us have overlooked the goal at hand winning the hockey game, but none of us are playing in this game. Due to the fact that none of us are playing, I don't see why we can't chear that idiot getting hit hard or pounded into the ice like someone said it is not mutually exclusive. I don't think anyone here is saying we would take Jeff Paukovich laying on the ice maimed or hurt for a NCAA tourney berth. Hockey is a contact sport and don't think for a minute if the time comes the UND players will end this thing right or wrong, that is not for any of us to decided, thats up to the Fighting Sioux hockey players. Its ok to disagree on that but please don't get on your high horse and tell people how it is we are suppose to feel and think.

That being said I enjoyed the game last night and watching UND wipe that silly smirk off of the DU hockey players faces. I loved watching each goal go past Manino and watching Fisher sulk on the bench. Classic. I loved watching Gwoz snap on the bench and get told to leave the game. Classic.

I also remember me saying this somewhere too:

While I hold Paukovich (referred to as Punkovich by many Fighting Sioux fans) I am not so sure the Fighting Sioux hockey team will be looking for retribution this weekend, there are more pressing concerns mainly securing home ice for the WCHA playoffs as well as moving up the power rankings so they can play in the NCAA West Regional they are hosting.

While I would love to see this issue settled on the ice with Paukovich dropping the gloves and getting his ass handed to him, finally seeing Paukovich repaid for his horrible act against Robbie Bina, I would rather see UND playing in the post season. While these things in hockey usually seem to work them selves out eventually. My advice to the Fighting Sioux player

Edited by Goon

If Prpich's intent with the shot was to seek revenge for Robbie, than hopefully he let's it go now. However, more than likely, it was Prpich trying to get under the skin of DU players, which I believe he did very well. I was personally still hoping to see him take a drink from Mannino's water bottle. Paukovich obviously showed what type of player he was with his retaliation on Oshie, after Oshie made a clean body check just prior to the incident. However, as I've stated in the past week, and many others have agreed, now is not the time to seek revenge for Robbie. If it were going to be done, it should have been done in October. As someone already stated, the best revenge would be to eliminate the "Two-Time Defending Champs" from the NCAA tournament all together, and with a victory tonight, we may just do that. That would be the best revenge possible. Personally, my favorite moment was when Curious George was going ape on the dasher. I was hoping to see a players bench come out onto the ice. :D

So what exactly will happen if we are labeled cheap and dirty? Is the WCHA gonna take away our birthdays? There are two teams in the WCHA that are not labeled by others as cheap and/or dirty: Alaska and Michigan Tech. And that's because they are not perennial threats. I was at the game at the X and actually saw Bina get hit while most were too busy stuffing their faces with footlongs and nachos and trying to dance along with the dork on the jumbotron, and I have nothing but respect for anyone on our team that goes after anyone on Denver's team. And the people from WI and MN share the same respect (but just don't go after their players).

You might need to explain yourself a little better since I was applading the Sioux winning last night and I also said it was the first concern for UND. Your logic is flawed because none of us want to endure a another Paukovich cheap shot like the one on TJ Oshie, another player might end up in the hospitial. Notice all of the players Punkovich hits are smaller players not anyone like Smaby or Finely, the kid is a gultess punk and as long as he plays in this league UND fans will be concerned every time he hits the ice. Also, fans can lose focus because we are not playing the hockey game. Ohhh, your a good fan because your in focus. Focus for what. Some people can't even see the ice because they are so drunk.

So by Prpich sticking that piece of $#!t in the nuts last night probably did more good than bad. It reminded Punkovich that we are still out there and makes him think twice about cheaping another Sioux player. Hockey is a game of intimidation and if you disagree with that statement you have your head in the sand. Smaby's hit on Carle last night was a perfect illustration of that.

The shot by Prpich didn't make Paukovich think twice about cheaping another Sioux player. He took out Oshie AFTER prpich tapped him. For all we know maybe Paukovich was "retaliating" for Prpich's hit by taking out Oshie. It's a never ending cycle... unless it stops now. Paukovich is a cheap player, but let's let the league (hopefully they can handle it) take care of him and his cheapness, rather than lose one of our good players.

So what exactly will happen if we are labeled cheap and dirty? Is the WCHA gonna take away our birthdays? There are two teams in the WCHA that are not labeled by others as cheap and/or dirty: Alaska and Michigan Tech. And that's because they are not perennial threats. I was at the game at the X and actually saw Bina get hit while most were too busy stuffing their faces with footlongs and nachos and trying to dance along with the dork on the jumbotron, and I have nothing but respect for anyone on our team that goes after anyone on Denver's team. And the people from WI and MN share the same respect (but just don't go after their players).

I guess you and I have a different view of who is cheap and dirty in the league. CC, UMD, Tech, and AA are all relatively clean teams. For the most part, Wisconsin is a clean team... and as much as it pains me, except for a few players, the Gophers are a clean team. There's a difference between being a dirty team and just being a rival. I think most fans (sioux and otherwise) are able to separate the two. I hate the Gophers a ton, but they don't go out there and goon it up. SCSU, Mankato, and Denver are some of the teams who you can guarantee it will get chippy.

I want all fans around the league to know that if you go to UND, you're not going to get cheap shotted all game, you're not going to have some of your players go down because of prpich taking a swipe at you. I want them to know that if you go to UND, your players are going to get hurt because of the types of hitting we saw last year. Hard hitting, in your face, but clean is the way UND has always been. Let's not become a DU, Mankato or St. Cloud.

Cheap, dirty, retaliatory, blah, blah blah.

I don't, and many who have posted in this thread don't, see Prp's hit to the Punk as anything unusual that happens during a game of hockey. As I've posted, my son was instructed in the fine art of 'cup tapping' by many a coach at many a hockey camp. It's meant to get the other guy off his game. Works, too.

As far as being seen as a cheap, dirty team, if that's what happens when a team plays a more physical game than the other team, so be it. Because a team is labeled that way, doesn't make it so. If you think that this is the first time the Fighting Sioux have been labeled as cheap and dirty, you either have a very short memory or you're a very new fan.

Do you really think that the coaches and fans want a less physical team, a team that doesn't make the other players' hearts beat a little faster knowing who they're facing, makes them sweat before they even get on the ice, makes "them squeal when they're hit by our defensemen" and results in sleepless nights before their week-end series with the Sioux, a team who doesn't use their skill and talent to make and seize every opportunity to score? Do you? I don't.

These are not mutually exclusive...

BTW, did anyone catch if Gwoz is trying to keep Paukovich off the ice when Smaby is there. I know he did in the F4 last year. I still remember fondly what Smaby did everytime he got near Paukovich at the end of the F5 game. When those two are on the ice together, Smaby crush Paukovich like Hulk crush car...

These are not mutually exclusive...

BTW, did anyone catch if Gwoz is trying to keep Paukovich off the ice when Smaby is there. I know he did in the F4 last year. I still remember fondly what Smaby did everytime he got near Paukovich at the end of the F5 game. When those two are on the ice together, Smaby crush Paukovich like Hulk crush car...

Smaby smashed Carle yesterday, and cleanly I might add, Matt Carle was shaking the cob webs out of his head.

I know I'm a homer, BUT...

Smaby hits hard, but I don't think I've ever seen hit hit cheap. He really is a world class talent.

Correct.

Goon- I apologize to you as I missed that post of yours you quoted. I guess what I mean is simple: CLASS. ATLSiouxphan thinks being dirty is perfectly acceptable because only losers like Tech and Anchorage aren't dirty. What kinds of fans endorses taking cheap shots at other teams? Is this saying that, if tonight Prpich takes a 10 foot run at Paukovich from behind and knocks Paukovich out of the game for a shift or two, even if Paukovich isn't injured, that Prpich is to be respected for doing so? Is this what makes a team "respectable" and our fans "the best fans in the WCHA?" I mean, if Gopher fans are arrogant as hell and Sioux fans endorse cheap shots by Sioux players, who's worse? I didn't like Prpich's "love tap" on Paukovich and I do believe he deserved to get a major called on him. Siouxnami said it right. Boy did Smaby clean Carle's clock but he did it CLEANLY. Let's clean Paukovich's clock if we have the opportunity but do it CLEANLY as well. Nothing wrong with Paukovich getting hit cleanly. I guess it was ATLsiouxphan that "set me off" and not necessarily you.

I like classiness and I really don't think that we can point fingers at other fans of other teams for classlessness if we ourselves are classless. Win the game.

Was Mike's P. penalty on Punkobitch called on the ice or was it called from review of the replay after Curious George's hissy fit? :D

As I understand it, if the penalty isn't originally called on the ice, it can not be called from a video replay. I believe they can add time to a penalty to one called on the ice from video, but not create one from video.

Let's Go SIOUX!! :D

Amazing that Gwoz ( i like Curious George as a name) can throw a fit and get a penalty call. No doubt Prpich deserved one but it was missed in live action. Shortly after another Denver player wrapped an arm around Prpich's neck and threw him to the ice with no call, a retaliation for the nut job. Maybe Hak should have made a spectacle of himself on the dasher and got that call also.

denver.jpg

Amazing that Gwoz ( i like Curious George as a name) can throw a fit and get a penalty call. No doubt Prpich deserved one but it was missed in live action. Shortly after another Denver player wrapped an arm around Prpich's neck and threw him to the ice with no call, a retaliation for the nut job. Maybe Hak should have made a spectacle of himself on the dasher and got that call also.

denver.jpg

This calls for a sign the next time DU comes to town, or maybe in St Paul:

I'm Curious, George:

[insert picture of monkey or the above]

Can you spell DUMB without DU?

PS Prpich, please stay in the lineup.

If Oshie had been whacked in the eggs by a Denver player intentionally - this board would be full of people calling the Denver player cheap, a thug, a goon, etc. My guess is that we would be whining like young pigs who missed morning breakfast from their mom's pink tit. I wonder how many of you would be saying that it wouldn't be "unusual" and the normal course of a game and it was OK to do this to Oshie because they were just trying to throw him mentally off his game ?

Fact of the matter is - it is funny and couldn't have happened to a bigger jerk. But, the last thing this Sioux fan wants is for something like this to be considered OK FOR ANY OPPOSING PLAYER.

Some things seem like simple logic to me. But I'm sure I'll set off a tempest on the vigilante justice crowd.