SiouxSports.com Forum

Retaliation? or cheap shot?

southpaw

Avs are free to do whatever they want. They can send some out to challenge Bertuzzi or they can do nothing. I don't care either way. If they want to allow their players to be brutalized on the ice that is their decision.

If I am running a team I would want to send a message to all other teams that we will NOT tolerate our best players being run legally or otherwise.

Some of you cry about referees missing obvious minor penalties but then you trust them to protect the players when there is an obvious major penalty. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! How are they going to do that when they are incompetent in the first place? Case in point: Mr. Don Adam.

One thing is certain: the players had much more respect for one another before the damn instigator rule and before visors and full masks became mandatory. Today it is nothing but high sticks and checking from behind and all the little rule changes in the world are not doing anything to stop it.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what the NHL and NCAA should do: remove any type of ban on fighting; remove any additional penalties for fighting (ie. The Gary Buttman Package: 2, 5 and 10); let the player decide whether or not he should wear a full mask, visor or just a helmet.

Unofrtunately, none of this will happen because too many people like Gary Buttman and Greg Shepherd are running things in hockey and are destroying the sport. You cannot expect competence at lower levels when you have morons in charge in the first place. Why should we expect a ref or linesman, who doesn't know a hook or hold from a traveling call ................why should we expect them to have enough brains or guts to protect a player from a cheap shot? We can't. Who hires the on ice officials? Yup. The bigger idiots hire the lesser idiots.

Think about it--- cheap punks get away with so much because they can hide behind a full mask or visor. There is no doubt in my mind that players and coaches at the college or pro level will tell you that the players on the ice are in a better position to police the game then the idiotic officilals both on and off the ice.

The leagues yap about zero tolerance on cheap shots, headhunting, blah, blah, blah, but has it worked? Not that I care what happens to Jaromir Jagrl, but what did Ruutu get for taking off his head? Game misconduct and a 1 game suspension? LOL!!!!!!!! Big deal.

Forcing Rutuu to fight if he is gonna take runs at people is much more of a deterrant than any match penalty or crap like that.

Way to answer my question by not answering my question. ;):silly:

PCM- I saw a replay... two replays of the Moore hit on Naslund. One in real time and another in slow motion. In real time, it really did look cheap. But when it was slowed down, it was just a REALLY good hit. I mean, Steve Moore just cleaned Naslund's clock. Period. What I don't remember was how Naslund acted immediately after the hit. Did he crumple to the ice? Did he embellish it? If he embellished it, I can understand why people thought it was cheap as well.

No, I don't think Moore deserved what he got or that Bertuzzi should be elevated to a pedestal and blanket forgiven. However, I think there does come a time when hits like this must be put into the past. And, seriously, the Bertuzzi hit was horrible, but it's time to let go.

If I am running a team I would want to send a message to all other teams that we will NOT tolerate our best players being run legally or otherwise.

Unbelievable. So even hard, legally delivered checks are a reason to turn your goons loose on the other team. Why even bother having rules if this is your approach to the game?

Unbelievable. So even hard, legally delivered checks are a reason to turn your goons loose on the other team. Why even bother having rules if this is your approach to the game?

That's right! I think we should get rid of the rules! I mean, that WOULD solve the officiating problems. :silly:

You are somewhat close to understanding my point. Keep working on it.

Please, choose the type of hockey you want:

(A) I'll let the official protect the players. Yeah, watching your team's players being carried off the ice onto strethcers is REALLY, REALLY fun. I can't get enough of it.

or

(B) Allow fighting back into the game.

LOL! Some of you guys crack me up. Every time there is the slightest scrum at a UND game there are 11,500 people on their feet screaming and cheering. Yeah, that is pi$$ poor entertainment, isn't it.

How many of you guys have ever walked out of an arena because of a fight? Please, I'd really like to know.

As far as the old eye for an eye theory, if the league isn't going to do something about punkobith and his criminal behavior, maybe it's time someone took care of him on the ice. I would almost guarantee what would have happened to punkobitch last year when he ran Bina had Blaiser been around. He would have sent the dogs and this whole thing would'nt be an issue right now.

To quote Police Chief Marge Gunderson in Fargo,

Look at punkobitch's record and it tells you he's a bad egg. Last year at the WJC evaluation camp he was running guys from behind. He's done it in the past and continues to do it UNPROVOKED, a leopard can't change his spots. It is no up to the powers that be to do something about this criminal, which we all know is not going to happen, therefore what other choices does it leave ?

Which leads to my point: why do you guys trust those who lack the will to enforce the rules?

And please stop with the "I hate fighting" crap. 99% of you love it.

Again, if I wish to say that I love fighting, I'll say it. I do not say what you like, please refrain from putting words in my mouth.

Sorry PCM, I disagree with the Prp let the dog loose theory. Friday night the Pio's were loosing, and it wasn't pretty. Gwoz seized an opportunity to get his teams blood boiling in order to secure a win. If Prp hadn't popped the Punk's cup, Gwoz would have jumped like a chimpanzee at another 'hit/check/etc. that should have been a penalty' by the Sioux. It was all an act to get his team going. Unfortunately, he forgot the animal he picked to be an enforcer has no conscious and knows no limits.

Of course this is all my own humble opinion. :silly:

I was going through the drive through at the Columbia Road Hardees a while back in a squad car and my cousin was two cars behind me yelling "Margie" and we were both dying laughing...the people in the cars in between us didn't get it.

Marge: "Ah, ya got Arbie's all o'er me." :silly:

While seeking revenge, dig two graves - one for yourself. - Doug Horton

Revenge proves its own executioner. - John Ford

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Mahatma Gandhi

Revenge... is like a rolling stone, which, when a man hath forced up a hill, will return upon him with a greater violence, and break those bones whose sinews gave it motion. - Albert Schweitzer

Revenge has no more quenching effect on emotions than salt water has on thirst. - Walter Weckler

Revenge is often like biting a dog because the dog bit you. - Austin O'Malley

Justice belongs to those who claim it, but let the claimant beware lest he create new injustice by his claim and thus set the bloody pendulum of revenge into its inexorable motion. - Frank Herbert

A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well. - Francis Bacon

Success would be the best revenge. - Lost Prophets

And nothing done about punkobitch=more broken necks. THETRIOUXPER 2/28/06

Doing "something" about Paukovich almost caused two more broken necks. And maybe it will the next time the Sioux play Denver. That's the point I've been trying to make here.

PCM, doing "something" covers a wide spectrum. I would prefer that it started with his coach, but I just don't see gwoz trying to reign him in. Maybe someone in the WCHA or NCAA should do "something" but they have seemed to turn a blind eye to the situation. I'm open for suggestions, but it looks to me like he needs to get his eh-es-es whipped on the ice.

PCM, doing "something" covers a wide spectrum. I would prefer that it started with his coach, but I just don't see gwoz trying to reign him in. Maybe someone in the WCHA or NCAA should do "something" but they have seemed to turn a blind eye to the situation. I'm open for suggestions, but it looks to me like he needs to get his eh-es-es whipped on the ice.

Here's my suggestion: If I were a parent of one of the players who got run from behind by Paukovich, I'd be complaining to UND's coach, the WCHA and and NCAA about it. And I wouldn't stop bugging them until I got their attention and some action.

Certainly the NCAA, which made checking from behind a point of emphasis this season, should be concerned that it's still going on. If the WCHA isn't enforcing the rule, I'd think that the NCAA would want to know about it. If neither the NCAA nor WCHA do anything about it, I'd go public with my complaints and get as many parents as possible to complain with me.

Of course, I'd be arguing from a much stronger position if a player from my son's team hadn't cheap-shotted Paukovich to begin with, triggering the whole ugly chain of events.