SiouxSports.com Forum

Ed Schulz Blasts Blais

PCM

Remember one other thing: Ed's a radio guy. Think his numbers were any good today?

Sure, good numbers today....at the cost of what? Dignity? Respect? Future employment? Now, I'm not saying that Blais can have Schultz fired, but why piss off people at the very school you "work" for with football? That's great that Ed's not a homer, but, fact is, UND football on the radio is for the UND community. They don't broadcast the games for OTHER schools...think about the mindset of the ones making the decisions.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next, apparently someone (Blais or Benson) did the stiffing. That too is uncool and unprofessional.

I spoke to Benson about this today to find out what happened. It was an unfortunate and completely unavoidable set of circumstances. Benson set up the interview last Wednesday and confirmed it with Blais. Blais had done media interviews all Friday morning and had every intention of being on Ed's show.

Unfortunately, the window of opportunity was very tight and Blais was very busy. He had a luncheon to attend with the Gopher boosters and a pregame meeting scheduled shortly after 1:30. He had to drive to the lunch and back again, not knowing how traffic would be.

Just before Blais left for the lunch, he told Benson that it would be best if Schultz called him in his hotel room at 1:30. He expected to be back from lunch and in his room by then. He stressed to Dan that if they didn't call him right at 1:30, he'd be unable to do the interview.

This was a change from the previous plan where Blais was going to call the station. Benson got on the phone immediately and confirmed the change of plans with Ed's producer. He also told the producer that Blais was running on an extremely tight schedule and didn't know if he would be back in time.

Around 1:30, Benson called the radio station to see if they'd gotten in touch with Blais. Ed's producer said that they had been unable to reach him. Benson then went looking for Blais. By the time he found him, the team pregame meeting had started and Blais was already involved in it.

Blais told Benson that he wouldn't be able to do the interview. Benson immediately called Ed's producer, told him Blais couldn't do the interview, apologized and explained the situation. The producer told him "No sweat." When Ed was informed, he went off the deep end on the air.

Benson did schedule that interview (with Farkas) when he knew Zach had a Monday night class. That's reality.

No, it's one person's version of reality. The truth is that Farkas called Benson at the last minute and asked him to set up an interview with Parise. Benson said he'd try, even though he didn't know Parise's schedule. As it turned out, Zach had a class and couldn't do it. To represent it as incompetence on Benson's part is simply unfair.

I'm asking if Benson may have had some role in setting up this war of words.

Only if doing his job can be construed as having a role.

Look, Dan and I have had our differences. I don't always agree with the way he does things. But he is a straight-shooter and one of the friendliest, most polite people you'll ever meet. Using him as a scapegoat for this mess is completely off base. I am also convinced that Blais made a good faith effort to honor his commitment. It just didn't work out. Schultz has only himself to blame.

The truth is that Farkas called Benson at the last minute and asked him to set up an interview with Parise.

Now there's a little gem that didn't come out that particular Monday evening. Shame-shame on Farkas for trying to schedule at the last minute.

I do remember that in that case Benson was good enough to spend some time on the show with Farkas. Applause to Dan Benson for doing that in that situation.

It's too bad that producer didn't keep Dan Benson on the line on Friday to talk to Ed and explain the situation on the air. It might have saved Ed from, well, being himself. :D

Ed Schultz comments on the KFAN 1130 Friday afternoon where inappropriate, unprofessional, over the top and horrible, Eddie is the one that is bush league, he who lives in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Eddies tirade made him sound like a blubbering, whining cry baby that had his rattle taken away from him at play time. I am sure Eddie never realized a top coach might have other commitments that kept him away from doing the interview. Why Eddie still works at KFGO is beyond me

Nothing could do that. Was Big Eddie wrong yes he was IMHO.

However IMHO I think both sides should work this out.

For the good of UND.

Goon was that you on 1310 today? ;) Mac is going to have an inside track if Kfan-The Fan or what ever it's called keep spewing crapola about GF & UND. When was that contract up with Clear Chan.... ;)

The more I find out about this situation the more I'm seeing that with a more professional response by the on-air personality none of it would have occurred. Sure, take a little jab at Blais for not making the interview. A 20 minute rant is over the top.

I'm sure Ed's been (as he calls it) stiffed in the past. It happens. Schedules get tight and tough some times. Apparently it was water under the bridge to Ed's producers but for some reason not to him.

The other thing that I've learned digging into this is that Dan Benson got caught in the crossfire. Upon further review, he tried to do all the right things but that circumstances didn't allow for things to work out as planned. My apologies to Dan for even hinting that this may have been due to some failing on his part.

Hey, nearly every day Eddie rants about NDSU's president. God knows why. Never heard a peep from UND people about how that is unprofessional.

You got a hatchetman and now you're whining because you got a nick on your finger? Cry me a river.

A woman called Eddie up today and read him a riot act. Later on in her conversation with him, she was surprised to hear that he was the FOOTBALL announcer for UND games, and not hockey. Jeez, if you are going to bitch at someone, at least have some of the more important facts straight.

Anyway, Schultz said "If they (UND) are able to remove me from the play-by-play of UND football, then maybe Clear Channel revokes the entire contract for UND sports. UND Sports does not run Clear Channel. It does not fund the payroll for the 26 stations in North Dakota." Is that a threat, Eddie?

This has been nothing more than a ratings stunt so far this week. Eddie is as unprofessional as they come on this one. A 20 minute rant that ends with Eddie saying "What an ass" is over the top. Dean Blais is owed an apology. Period.

tony: Why would UND fans complain when it's not their ox being gored? ;):D

Ed picks a "windmill" and starts a "controversy". It's his standard operating procedure: create a controversy. Why? Ratings. People are listening and calling, aren't they?

Past targets?

The Fargo Forum Editorial Board

NDSU

Joe Chapman

"The other station" in Fargo

Apparently it's Dean Blais' turn. ;)

Your once coveted Clear Channel contract is now something to be trashed because "Above blame Blais" chumped on a commitment? This is the funniest thing ever. Once again the entire pack turns on the offender. Somebody doesnt agree!! Lets fire him!! He's an idiot! He's not proffesional! Lets everybody write a letter!!! Nobody talk with him anymore!!! on and on and on. hahahahahha

Shoutin Ed Schultz is showing you that the knife cuts both ways. I just hope this doesnt have any affect on the future of the prestigious Golden Arm Award in Grand Forks? ;)

Nobodys called him a hand wringing liberal yet? :D

"Blais just thinks he runs the world. Does the guy not own a cell phone?" Ed Schultz

Where in the world are you getting 1) that the Clear Channel contract was "coveted," 2) that Blais even *had* a commitment (he said he'd TRY to do it, but Schultz, or at the very least the producers of his show, knew he was on a tight schedule and it might not work... that's hardly a *commitment* to me) and 3) that Ed Schultz is anything BUT an idiot and unprofessional? The fact of the matter is that Big Ed *is* an idiot and if he'd think for a millisecond before he opens that big trap of his, he might not get himself into as much trouble as he does. My husband is a former sports writer in the GF/Fargo area and we have many friends still in the business there. I can guarantee you that they all think Ed is a ticking timebomb. Calling Dean Blais an "ass" on the radio, even if Dean had said, "Yes, absolutely, I will be there with bells on, Ed." was completely and totally uncalled for and if he was as big a man as he'd like to *think* he is, he'd apologize instead of being a complete ass and trying to hide under the cover of "c'mon... it was just a joke."

Ok... rant over. :D

Who the heck ever said anything about a coveted Clear Channel contract?? Just another example of Bison idiots (mainly JBB) coming on here to make an ass out of himself. Please don't kick JBB off the board because his statements help remind why I don't care for fans of that great D1 farm schoool to the south!

When clear channel was signed by UND there was a lot of pounding on the chest. It was a vast improvement over your former sports network. Ask Sicatoka. As for all the rest its about the same as always: "Somebody disagreed defame them!" It's a UND family tradition! :D

At any rate this is funny! King hockey is insulted ... trash Schultz, fire Clear Channel!

The funniest part is going to be "Above Blaim Blais" backing down on his challenge that nobody involved with UND sports is to talk to Clear Channel. Talk about impetious and arrogant? The only face to be lost is that of Above Blaim. He chumped his appointment without the least bit of courtesy and got lambasted by the media he left high and dry.

If Clear Channel isnt getting the job done there must be some local station up there that can put together a nice sports network for you. Maybe WDAY can help? The BISON arent on 24 hrs a day! ;)

JBB does make a few valid points, mainly that the Clear Channel contract is valuable to UND because it has coverage throughout North Dakota and much of Western Minnesota. Schultz also has his value for UND football, but should have nothing to do with hockey. However, JBB should at least learn how to spell "impetuous" and "blame" before using them in a sentence. I suppose that is above average spelling for someone who graduated from NDSU aka The High School with Ashtrays. Many of the UND football recruits cannot get into NDSU because they either have too high of grades or no criminal record. :D

Nobodys called him a hand wringing liberal yet? :D

That would be a accurate statement used to describe Eddy the Blow Hard Schultz. I wonder if he has shot any more black labs while hunting in the field...

Schultz also has his lips planted firmly on the rear ends of the three democratic leaders of the great state of North Dakota...

Here are the Blow Hards comments on the show in question. Caviler as ussual.

Can we all calm down now.....?

It's been a long time since I've been in a good sports controversy. Little did I know a short two hour appearance on the FAN would roll into a four day story. In this business, I guess you never know. There will be no apology on my part as I feel I've nothing wrong. On the other hand, I will not field any more calls on the subject dealing with the Sioux hockey coach. In the sportstalk arena its not always a perfect world. Most sportstalk shows around the country live on the edge and take no prisoners. No coach in America is immune to tough talk, caller or host opinions, and certianly job performance critque dealing with all aspects of the job. As a talk show host it's not my job to make sure everybody is happy all the time. I don't have time to select the perfect verbage for every situation that comes up on the air. In my job, I get ripped everyday. Deal with it.

This is probably the biggest boost Fat Eddie's had in his career of late. A no-name, brainless former DIII college QB gets his chance to spill his self-indulgent bilge in the Twin Cities, and gets stiffed inadvertantly by one of the most successful coaches in college hockey the day of a game with UND's biggest hockey rival.

Hell, if Fatso needed the work so badly, he could have washed my car. If it makes Fatty feel better, my grandmother listens to him on occasion.

Fat Eddie Schultz: Got Class?

Anyway, Schultz said "If they (UND) are able to remove me from the play-by-play of UND football, then maybe Clear Channel revokes the entire contract for UND sports. UND Sports does not run Clear Channel. It does not fund the payroll for the 26 stations in North Dakota." Is that a threat, Eddie?

I believe the bid went out and KNOX was second KCNN third.

UND should remember in the next time the BID goes out and that KNOX/KCNN are local.(and linked at the hip now) Clear Channel is not! ;)(As a Sioux fan I will help to remind UND)

Case in point how many ads are run by Rydell's on 1440 vs 1310-1590? ;)

I remember the good old days of the 4th period show. :D(again local broadcast)

As for the rant Eddie spewed about the listening folks. The Fighting Sioux Sports Network/Knox-Kcnn/UND maybe should sign a contract and sell region wide radio stations who would like to purchase the feed instead of being locked in with Clear Channel. ;)

Eddie keep running your mouth.Maybe 1440 will pick up Dbay and Payday from 9-12 after the Tim and Swig show. ;)

Eddie, JC and Blais do walk on water. Albeit Blaiser's walk is on the frozen stuff. ;)

As for the rant Eddie spewed about the listening folks. The Fighting Sioux Sports Network/Knox-Kcnn/UND maybe should sign a contract and sell region wide radio stations who would like to purchase the feed instead of being locked in with Clear Channel. ;)

Eddie keep running your mouth.Maybe 1440 will pick up Dbay and Payday from 9-12 after the Tim and Swig show. ;)

Eddie, JC and Blais do walk on water. Albeit Blaiser's walk is on the frozen stuff. :D

Eddie seems to think he is untoachable, I guess we have to listen to his ranting and raving instead of having on PA and DU-bay because Eddie is the boss, I am not sure many would listen to Eddy if they had the choice. I will take Hennen over Schultz any day... His radio show is brutal... Eddie spends most of the time talking about how great he is. I want to call up and say hey Ed hows your dog?

I would rather listen to the two clowns from down in Mpls than schultz, they are just being funny not disrespectful... At least we don't expect any respect from them but Ed sorry putz but you have sports announcing gig because the UND North Dakota pays your salary indirectly or directly, its time for you to get taken to the wood shed...