SiouxSports.com Forum

Ed Schulz Blasts Blais

PCM

skateshattrick, whisky is a correct spelling - look at a bottle of single malt Scotch and see for yourself. Also, grammar is not the same thing as spelling, hence the need for a separate grammar checker in word processers. And finally, maybe all NDSU alumni (like myself) are ignorant, but ignorance is not exclusive to NDSU alumni.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both Blais and Schultz did break one of my fundamental rules: Praise in public, punish in private.

I completely agree. Obviously Ed was very unprofessional and made himself look like a fool. However, for Blais to respond in public by calling for Ed's job (as the voice of Sioux football) is also unprofessional...albeit nowhere near as unprofessional as Ed's tirade.

I don't get it. How do you privately punish someone in the public spotlight who publicly humiliated you and made a public spectacle of himself in the process? It was Schultz who chose to make it a public issue by attempting to punish Blais in public.

Now, from PR perspective, perhaps Blais could have come off looking better by appearing to take the high road and letting someone else do the dirty work behind the scenes, but that doesn't seem to be his style.

If there's a groundswell of sentiment from Sioux fans and UND alumni to oust Schultz as the voice of Fighting Sioux football, then there's no way a "private punishment" is going to work.

I wouldn't even oppose a comment such as " I think Ed's on-air behavior speaks volumes about his character." I just don't think Blais should have publicly called for his job. If there's a groundswell of sentiment from Sioux fans to oust him, then so be it. I just don't think Blais should have spearheaded the effort. JMHO.

Now, from PR perspective, perhaps Blais could have come off looking better by appearing to take the high road and letting someone else do the dirty work behind the scenes, but that doesn't seem to be his style.

It would have killed Eddie if Dean's response would have been, "Who's Ed Schultz? Does he know anything about hockey?"

Of course, I would have had Dean Blais follow that up with a trip to UND's Athletics administration asking for Schultz's head as well.

But alas, thus is not Dean Blais, and that's his primary charm: You never wonder what's on his mind. :D

The fundamental problem remains: Why go off like that over something that anyone in the industry will tell you happens.

Find it funny that's Ed's response to an email is childish as well. Challenges you to a face to face, presumably, knowing Ed, a meeting in the parking lot :D

Good to hear from you.

As the world turns....

e-mails are easy to send, please come

say it to my face....

Thanks

ED

Who thinks Ed would repeat his diatribe while looking Coach Blais in the eye? :D

Which brings up another question: On his show, has Ed ever replayed the tape of his comments about Blais that he made on The Fan?

I would think that if Schultz believes that he's done nothing for which he needs to apologize, he'd have no problem replaying the tape and generating support from his legion of fans.

By not replaying the tape, Schultz creates the impression that he knows public opinion would come down solidly on the side of Dean Blais.

We heard Big Eddie spewing all over the airwaves while driving to the hockey game. We could not believe the tone of his voice. He was not joking. He was very angry and his comment about now supporting the Gophers and not the Sioux was ugly. "I've swictched sides before, I can do it again" attitude was unbelievable.

I e-mailed him to play the tape and have not heard back from him. Don't really expect to.

Now if you call in they screen the calls and ask what you want to talk about. Guess we could lie, but he would just hang up on us.

I wouldn't even oppose a comment such as " I think Ed's on-air behavior speaks volumes about his character." I just don't think Blais should have publicly called for his job.

You need to factor in how Blais probably felt about someone who's supposedly pro-Sioux not only publicly attacking him in his most hated rival's back yard on the day of a big game, but also declaring his support for the opposition.

There might also have been a calculated bit of strategy to arouse the ire of Sioux fans and UND alumni. After all, if Blais had simply made some glib comment that indicated he wasn't all that concerned with what Schultz said, it would have generated little, if any, media attention.

Sportstalk....It is, what it is......

The earth has shaken, the clouds are moving over fast, the light from the sky has dimmed, the noise from the crowd is deafening, but Big Eddy stands tall with the microphone announcing there will be no apology. Famous words after a man was beaten, "can we all just get along". I have enjoyed all the bantering the last week over a sportstalk show I hosted on the FAN. Yes, the e-mails have been entertaining to say the least. Some nasty, some very supportive, and I appreciate those. I find it so ironic that a university community that uses an Indian head as a logo, which some find offensive, get so offended themselves when their hockey coach is called a jerk on a sportstalk show. I didn't call him a murderer, a rapist, or a child molester. I called him a jerk, and said it was a bush league move to dump the interview which had been confirmed four times dating back to Wednesday, two days prior to the show. A call came into the studio control telling us the coach would be there in fifteen minutes and for us to be ready at one-thirty. I was shocked when Blais didn't call. My reaction, was my reaction on live radio, so be it. Where was the loyality of the coach to a UND announcer? Does he own a cell phone? The last week I have been called just about everything in the book. It has been flamed by newspapers trying to sell papers and create more controversy and stir the pot. I have taken shots from all walks of life. For some to suggest my reaction was an effort to break into a big market is a joke. I pay more in taxes than any writer in this state makes. Iam the only media person in the history of North Dakota to sign a million dollar contract and after seven years of newstalk radio I still have the highest rated show beating what little competition there is by a five-to-one margin. It all adds up to me being a target whenever there is an issue. I have been in the mix of controversey for many years on a number of issues. I have taken unpopular stands from time to time but I have always been honest with my feelings and an easy person to approach. I've made a good living out of being a big target. What a business. All this over a stupid sportstalk show. It should also be pointed out, we are not in a rating period and I certianly didn't make any comments in an attempt to gain ratings at the expense of a coach. For those of you who want to see me fail, I understand that's all in the mix and I harbor no hard feelings towards any booster or the coach. You folks have just handed me the biggest promotion I've had in over a year and I wasn't even looking for it. I hope we are all done with this ordeal, and I should make it known I have every intention of returning as voice of the Fighting Sioux football team this coming fall. I also hope the Fighting Sioux hockey team wins the national championship. Enough said.

Here is the latest from the Blow Hard Eddy Schultz...

I am not seeing contrite here at all. Interesting.

I have a hard time believing that he is beating Scott Hennen in the ratings in the Fargo area. Anyone have the latest arbitron ratings?

Its like what ever Eddie...

The "highest rated show" ... in what size is the F-M market? A million dollar deal? Did the Clear Channel management smoke crack before that meeting? I'm surprised Fatty didn't post his 1040 online some place.

Given how much Fat Eddie likes to tell everybody about his "money" and success, I'd guess he's probably lacking "something" below the belt. Maybe that's why Maureen divorced him. :D

"For some to suggest my reaction was an effort to break into a big market is a joke. I pay more in taxes than any writer in this state makes. Iam the only media person in the history of North Dakota to sign a million dollar contract and after seven years of newstalk radio I still have the highest rated show beating what little competition there is by a five-to-one margin."

Put down that crack pipe Ed, get real... I can't imagine any member of the media in North Dakota signing a short term $1.0 million deal. That is just bizarre. Maybe it was $1.0 million over 45 years.

As far as the "Big Market" goes, I think Ed probably wrote that off years ago. A tirade like that wouldn't be tolerated in a "Big Market" and it shouldn't be tolerated in any market. Ed, If you don't like to get "flamed", maybe you chose the wrong profession? Coach Blais didn't exactly act like a Saint, but is Ed on life long mission of self-destruction? :D

The "highest rated show" ... in what size is the F-M market? A million dollar deal? Did the Clear Channel management smoke crack before that meeting? I'm surprised Fatty didn't post his 1040 online some place.

Definitely a self-superiorty complex. Laughable, given the quality of his shows. A complete moron; can't believe he entertains anyone, I can't listen to the dolt.

Have another donut, Ed.

Given how much Fat Eddie likes to tell everybody about his "money" and success, I'd guess he's probably lacking "something" below the belt. Maybe that's why Maureen divorced him. :0

The highest rated show... Ha Bull $#it

I have to take issue with that. Is he dreaming has he listened to his show lately, Eddie has his nose up the big three of ND it is sickening. Eddie is pathetic, he is a camlian and changes his colors to match what ever he feels is popular at the time. Remeber this guy went from being the voice of the dirty Bison to the Voice of the Fighting Sioux. Eddy is arogant and abrassive. Eddy is too big for his own britches.

I can't listen to the blow hard for more than 3 minutes before I have to change the channel. Eddie holds the Red River hostage with the I am the boss and I am the God of clear channel, and you will carry my show and not be allowed to carry the PA and Dubay show on KFAN.

I think UND has to dump this clown he has done too much damage with his latest tirade. Eddy is not fit to carry Blaier's Jock Strap.

Just to add to the Ed fun... here's another Ed story from my husband, as heard from a very reputable Fargo newspaper reporter who "ear-witnessed" this incident.

About 9 or 10 years ago, Ed was coaching a Pop Warner kids' football team. He was incredibly anal about the complex pro-set multiple formation offense he installed. Apparently a cheerleader (all of 8 years old) from the opposing team had wandered over to Eddie's sideline. Ed immediately accused her of spying and stealing plays for the opposition. So he, being the true sportsman that he is and using his best radio voice, told her to "Get out of here, you little ****!" Let's just say that last word starts with a c and rhymes with bunt. Two words... nitro-glycerin pills.

We should all pull for Eddie's son David (decent kid from all I hear) to make it to the PGA. He is currently the 20th ranked golfer in Div. 1. If he makes it to the tour then we may never hear from him again. I can see it now, Tiger Woods bodygaurds pummeling Eddie after he wouldn't shut up!! :0

Lets hope it hapens.