SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Goalies

WW23

i think a reason for the constant debate over this, is partly because phil is from grand forks. Most sioux fan have seen him play since he was little and there may be a bit of home town sentiment with a lot of sioux fans. I feel that it is wise for any team to play a goalie who wins more and loses less(that is common sense to me at least).i think that jordan wins more because plain and simple he has a better numbers than phil which is in his control, but also the fact that the team plays better for him, which he can't control. I dont care the reasons why his record is better and what can be done to have the team play better for phil more consistenly, that is for the coaches to figure out. The bottom line is as a sioux fan jordan gave us a chance last year, and i feel carried us to the national title game, and it seems like he is ready to do the same this year. I understand the home town sentiment, but this isn't highschool hockey any more so we should let the home town sentiments go and support everyone on the team instead of arguing over something like this. Bottom line Jordan earned the spot and games he is given, so there really shouldn't be an argument.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the bottom line is wins and losses

jordan parise 13-6-1 GAA 2.34 Save%.928

phil lamoureux 5-7-0 GAA 2.62 save %.910

its unfortunate that phil doesn't get more goals scored for him, but bottom line i want a goalie who will put a W in the win column for me and right now that is jordan, see above stats for proof.

Maybe we should go with Walski then.......

Goaltending is not our problem

i think a reason for the constant debate over this, is partly because phil is from grand forks. Most sioux fan have seen him play since he was little and there may be a bit of home town sentiment with a lot of sioux fans. I feel that it is wise for any team to play a goalie who wins more and loses less(that is common sense to me at least).i think that jordan wins more because plain and simple he has a better numbers than phil which is in his control, but also the fact that the team plays better for him, which he can't control. I dont care the reasons why his record is better and what can be done to have the team play better for phil more consistenly, that is for the coaches to figure out. The bottom line is as a sioux fan jordan gave us a chance last year, and i feel carried us to the national title game, and it seems like he is ready to do the same this year. I understand the home town sentiment, but this isn't highschool hockey any more so we should let the home town sentiments go and support everyone on the team instead of arguing over something like this. Bottom line Jordan earned the spot and games he is given, so there really shouldn't be an argument.

I think you have one of the two major reasons square on the head. Everyone likes the local boy.

The other reason is that both are capable goaltenders. I mean, how many teams out there have a constant argument going on about which goaltender is better? If one truly was better than the other, there would be no debate! All of this argument simply proves one thing: The Sioux have TWO good goaltenders.

Maybe the reason that the Sioux score more in front of Parise is because the other team has to press so hard to score on him. He is a very fundamently sound tender and has to be beat by getting him out of position, so teams must press harder down low and try to thread the needle to get a goal. This means dropping down a defenseman or playing deep in the offensive zone. Parise is the better of the two right now because he has experience and alot of respect from fans and most of all his teammates. Lams is a great goalie and with a little more time and experience he will be UND's top tender, but not this year. Watching Lam he sometimes falls out of 'square' position with the puck and is quick to drop down - all things that will come with time.

Parise is a great goalie, but I wouldn't say he is fundamentaly sound. He is more of a Hasek flopper type of goalie IMO.

Exactly. Parise is on his stomach more than any other goalie I've ever seen. I wouldn't call him fundamentaly sound at all but he has proven himself as a very good goalie.

Can we say that perhaps Parise's numbers are better because he has played in more games... he was able to develope a routine, a grove, and get into it. When you play one or two games a month, you can't possible get into as good of a routine.

With that said, we do have two (maybe three, I don't know) amazing goalies that could start on any D1 team. We should be glad that we can even have this debate. In the end, our opinion doesn't matter at all. We all have our own favorites no matter what the reason may be... but Hak is who is going to make the choice, and I doubt he's on here reading to see who we want to play...

Can we say that perhaps Parise's numbers are better because he has played in more games... he was able to develope a routine, a grove, and get into it. When you play one or two games a month, you can't possible get into as good of a routine.

With that said, we do have two (maybe three, I don't know) amazing goalies that could start on any D1 team. We should be glad that we can even have this debate. In the end, our opinion doesn't matter at all. We all have our own favorites no matter what the reason may be... but Hak is who is going to make the choice, and I doubt he's on here reading to see who we want to play...

i would say that parise's numbers are even BETTER being he has played more games, the less games played, the easier the numbers can fluxuate and looked skewed. I would have to say it is a testament to how well he has played this year, a 4 goal game won't be as harsh on his goals against as it would to phils, it also wouldn't be as hard on his psyche as it would to phils either. bottom line, both good, jordie is better, either could start, let's go with the proven one, it's that time of year where you need a number one, and a number two.

There is a big difference between attacking someone with a different opinion, and attacking someone who is completely without a clue. Not going to point the finger at anyone in particular though.

Heck I will take care of this one for you. For the benefit of Slappy lets discuss his team and get off of this stale topic. In everyones opinion who is the bigger sieve, Briggs or Hauser?

Heck I will take care of this one for you. For the benefit of Slappy lets discuss his team and get off of this stale topic. In everyones opinion who is the bigger sieve, Briggs or Hauser?

Thanks there Sioux-Habit. And in your honor, I was going to mention that it doesn't matter which goalie plays, I'm quite sure both JPar and Lammy have figured out kessel's one move. :lol:

Where were you earlier? ???

I do firmly believe everyone should be allowed to voice their opinion on a public message board, and that they should not be verbally abused for their opinions. However, in your case, you're a gopher fan who has ventured to an opposing team's message board to, to a certain extent, antagonize the members, with your comments. I don't believe that justifies anyone verbally attacking, and don't agree with it happening to you anymore than anyone else on this site, but, you're a gopher fan......and.....that's all I have to say. :lol:

On a pure statistical basis it looks to me that Jordan is every bit as good as Karl was. I have always thought of Karl as one the best (or maybe even the best) goalie to ever play for the Sioux. The longer a player has been away from the school the more I think some tend to add to that players "legend".

Here are the stats for Karl's last two years and Jordan's last two years:

Name Yr GP W L T GA MIN GAA SH SV SV%

Karl Goehring, Jr 30 19 6 4 55 1741 1.90 8 697 .927

Karl Goehring, Sr 29 16 6 6 66 1661 2.38 3 734 .918

Jordan Parise, So 27 17 7 3 56 1575 2.13 2 621 .917

Jordan Parise, Jr 20 13 6 1 46 1180 2.34 2 597 .928

Jordan's current save percent this year is actually slightly better than either of Karl's last two years. While Karl's GAA as a junior was 1.90 this was also a function of the fact he faced fewer shots each game.

While Karl faced an average of 25 shots/game as a junior, Jordan is facing 32 so his GAA is going to be higher. For Jordan to have a GAA of 1.90 he would need to have a save percent of .941.

The goalie play is not a problem. What I see is a team that is inconsistent on offense and is giving up too many shots on the defensive side. I suspect both of these are a result of being a very young and inexperienced team. For them to do anything this year, at least one of these areas has to improve significantly. The team was having problem with effort on one night of most series, that seems to be resolved now.

Jordan's current save percent this year is actually slightly better than either of Karl's last two years. While Karl's GAA as a junior was 1.90 this was also a function of the fact he faced fewer shots each game.

While Karl faced an average of 25 shots/game as a junior, Jordan is facing 32 so his GAA is going to be higher. For Jordan to have a GAA of 1.90 he would need to have a save percent of .941.

The goalie play is not a problem. What I see is a team that is inconsistent on offense and is giving up too many shots on the defensive side. I suspect both of these are a result of being a very young and inexperienced team. For them to do anything this year, at least one of these areas has to improve significantly. The team was having problem with effort on one night of most series, that seems to be resolved now.

IMO, a lot of the games Karl played in his senior year, he demonstrated actions that were uncharacteristic of what we had seen from him in prior years (with two specific actions coming in the title game that year). Another big part of a goalies success is the team playing in front of him, and Karl definitely had some supporting cast members in his career at UND. Yes, goalies still need to make the saves, but how many shots never made it to him, because of who was in front of him? How many plays were broken because of the talent and speed of his teammates?

Jordan has definitely earned his statistics, using a style that you don't see often in goalies. It isn't the nicest thing to watch, as sometimes he's all over his crease, and looks like he's flopping, but he gets the job done for the most part, and the end result is what is most important in every single game he plays in. Only allowing 2 goals in a 2 one game isn't a win, and wins are what the teams need. I agree that you can't blame either Jordan or Phil for their play this year. They've actually kept us in more games than what we probably deserved to be in, and they've both been hung out to dry at times this year. Either goalie can get the job done. Now we just need the players in front of that goalie to show up every minute of every game.

Right to the heart of the matter rochsioux. Young and inexperienced, but growing older and more experienced each day. I am still supremely confident that we are coming upon another great Sioux ride.

As someone else said, Jordan is driving the bus, all the way to Milwaukee.

Really nice work on the goalie math stuff. See you around the arenas.

You mean that guy that gave up 13 goals in two outings last weekend? :lol:

Alex Stalock is a Minnesota Duluth recruit who is currently playing with the Cedar Rapids Roughriders of the United States Hockey League. Last year he was the Clark Cup playoff MVP, and was selected by the San Jose Sharks in the 5th round of the 2005 NHL draft.

Alex Stalock is a Minnesota Duluth recruit who is currently playing with the Cedar Rapids Roughriders of the United States Hockey League. Last year he was the Clark Cup playoff MVP, and was selected by the San Jose Sharks in the 5th round of the 2005 NHL draft.

Thats the one. :lol:

Go Sioux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!