SiouxSports.com Forum

Where do Sioux finish in WCHA?

cavedurtis

http://siouxsports.com/hockey/whatif/index.php

Now that there is only one weekend left in January, we can start to evaluate how we see the WCHA race finishing.

My final league standings:

Wisco 43

Minny 40

Denver 38

UND 34

CC 33

Even with the Elliott injury (unless he is out for the season) I have the Badgers winning the league somewhat comfortably. I have the Gophers and Denver fighting for 2nd and 3rd, it could go either way. UND, CC, and St. Clown (32 pts.) jostle for the final two home ice spots. I like the Sioux's schedule enough to give them 4th. They can thank UMinn for jump-starting the second half of their season with it's Sat. night collapse. (ok that point is debateable, the Sioux earned the 2 pts.) CC is reeling but holds-off charging JBSU for 5th.

Here is what my crystal ball says:

Team GP Pts

1) UW 28 44

2) Denver 28 37

3) UMN 28 37

4) UND 28 33

5) CC 28 32

6) SCSU 28 26

7) Mankato 28 21

8) UMD 28 20

9) AA 28 15

10)MTech 28 15

Does it really matter a whole lot, just as long as we get home ice in the first round of the final five we should be playing in St. Paul...... next week scsu in our barn (4 points), then off to cc which will be a touch series after they got swept and also cc has next week off. (2 points hopefully) Home against the Bulldogs (4 points) then @ DU (2 points) and home against Tech (4 points)

I've gone back and forth a bit on this. For instance I have MTU and UMD not getting a single point each after their respective series with MSU, but it's hard to believe any team could go 4 straight weeks without a single point. On the other hand, they both have to play those series against top tier teams in the league. I'm also not sure about CC given how Helter Skelter they've been. And of course no one knows how UW will respond without Elliott, not to mention it's uncertain how long will he be out. But for what it's worth:

UW 28 44

UMN 28 40

Denver 28 37

UND 28 35

CC 28 33

SCSU 28 30

Mankato 28 18

MTech 28 15

UMD 28 15

AA 28 13

UW 40

UMN 37

Denver 35

CC 33

UND 32

SCSU 32

MTech 19

Mankato 19

UMD 18

AA 15

Not sure who the tie-breaker would go to between UND and SCSU... the Huskies have been playing very well as of late are going to cause lots of trouble for the remainder of the season and possibly the WCHA playoffs.

I think the Gophers have a legitimate chance to catch UW, but after the initial shock of losing Elliot (2 loses @ home to Denver), I think they'll settle down a little and finish the conference schedule relatively strong. They are definitely not invincible anymore. Colorado College had two tough weekends, but they are VERY GOOD, and are a force to be reckoned with.

I think the Gophers have a legitimate chance to catch UW, but after the initial shock of losing Elliot (2 loses @ home to Denver), I think they'll settle down a little and finish the conference schedule relatively strong.

That's what I've been saying as a means of telling Gopher fans they shouldn't get too far ahead in anticipating what will happen this weekend. I too said the loss of Elliott was probably an emotional hit that imho impacted their offensive spark against DU. Now that they realize what they have in Connelly (4 GAA in 2 games I think?) and with UM coming into town you can expect that they will be ready as they can be.

Why I think UM should get at least a split this time around is that they are playing much better as a team defensively. They seem to have reduced the amount of stupid penalties, odd man rushes given up from poor turnovers and realizing that to win crucial games requires 60 minutes of effort. Hopefully that continues but we shall see.

Team GP Pts

UW 28 44

UMN 28 38

UND 28 38

CC 28 34

Denver 28 28

Mankato 28 24

SCSU 28 22

AA 28 19

MTech 28 19

UMD 28 14

Really enjoyed the what if tool. Results were very interesting to me, thought that Denver will go on a dry streak, Wisconsin would only lose two, UND would only lose one game, and minney dropping one to AA and getting swept up by Wisconsin. UMD would only get one more point and AA and Mankato would split the rest the way I think the telling series will be this coming up weekends games for were the Sioux will end up. Wisconsin needs to step it up and give the Sioux a chance to play catch up with minney. Minney could split with UMD at home if Sandy (and God) can get the team to play

I also can see the Badgers sucking the rest the way - it's in their nature in that case Minney may take the conference and give UND a chance at a #2 spot- who knows

UMN 28 41

UW 28 41

CC 28 35

Denver 28 33

UND 28 30

SCSU 28 27

Mankato 28 23

UMD 28 20

AA 28 15

MTech 28 15

I have UW getting one point this weekend against the Gophs, splitting at UMD and Mankato and sweeping Tech and SCSU. If they get more than a point this weekend I think they lock the WCHA.

UMN 28 41

UW 28 41

CC 28 35

Denver 28 33

UND 28 30

SCSU 28 27

Mankato 28 23

UMD 28 20

AA 28 15

MTech 28 15

I have UW getting one point this weekend against the Gophs, splitting at UMD and Mankato and sweeping Tech and SCSU. If they get more than a point this weekend I think they lock the WCHA.

Talk about wearing Maroon and Gold glasses. I would be willing to bet the Gophers have a good chance of getting swept this weekend.

Talk about wearing Maroon and Gold glasses. I would be willing to bet the Gophers have a good chance of getting swept this weekend.

Considering UW swept them at home last month that's not much of a statement. However, Bucky did focus on defense last weekend. Their lack of confidence in Connelly was apparent, if undeserved. This weekend will be very tellling. I think Wisconsin will be better, but that still gives the Gophers a chance to get SOME points. I wouldn't have been so optimistic a week ago.

UW 28 42

UMN 28 41

UND 28 36

Denver 28 36

CC 28 33

SCSU 28 28

Mankato 28 20

UMD 28 17

MTech 28 16

AA 28 11

Wishful thinking for UND, but still doable. It is pretty likely there is not going to be five WCHA teams in the NCAA's this year, so the Sioux need to finish strong. It should be interesting to see what a Denver Sweep of WI will do to their PWR rankings.

UW 28 41

UMN 28 40

Denver 28 36

UND 28 34

CC 28 33

SCSU 28 33

Mankato 28 23

UMD 28 15

MTech 28 13

AA 28 12

My MN glasses see 3 of 4 in Madtown, sweeping Tech & UMD, splitting with Denver, and getting 3 up in Anchorage.

I also see UND & SCSU getting more wins and playing better hockey now. Pretty big separation between the top 6 and the bottom 4, so getting 4th is the key seed. Who cares about the play-in game...having the easier 1st round series is more important, in my opinion.

This weekend is clearly the key. I actually think the Gophers are more likely to get three points or more this weekend than they are to sweep @AA and home vs. UMD.

To think that before '02 you actually had pity on the Gophs didn't you? :D

UW 28 41

UMN 28 40

Denver 28 36

UND 28 34

CC 28 33

SCSU 28 33

Mankato 28 23

UMD 28 15

MTech 28 13

AA 28 12

My MN glasses see 3 of 4 in Madtown, sweeping Tech & UMD, splitting with Denver, and getting 3 up in Anchorage.

I also see UND & SCSU getting more wins and playing better hockey now. Pretty big separation between the top 6 and the bottom 4, so getting 4th is the key seed. Who cares about the play-in game...having the easier 1st round series is more important, in my opinion.

Who cares about the play-in game? The play-in game winner has not advanced to the Final Five title game since its inception. I think that's an important statistic to note. The Sioux goal should be to finish third...and with home games against St Cloud, UMD, and Michigan Tech coming up, 12 points isn't out of the question. The key, then, will be taking 2 out of 4 against Denver and Colorado College.

This weekend is clearly the key. I actually think the Gophers are more likely to get three points or more this weekend than they are to sweep @AA and home vs. UMD.

To think that before '02 you actually had pity on the Gophs didn't you? :D

I think everyone is over looking the BADgers this weekend, I don't see Minny taking 3/4 points against the BADders, their a defensive dynamo even without Elliot. I would be glad to bet a beer or something like that.

I also think that UAA is going to get steam rolled by the Gophers.

Who cares about the play-in game? The play-in game winner has not advanced to the Final Five title game since its inception. I think that's an important statistic to note. The Sioux goal should be to finish third...and with home games against St Cloud, UMD, and Michigan Tech coming up, 12 points isn't out of the question. The key, then, will be taking 2 out of 4 against Denver and Colorado College.

A play-in team hasn't won the Final Five....but Michigan Tech did advance to the final in 1996 when they beat CC and then were simply worn down and got thumped by MN in the title game.

My point is: who cares about the Final Five? Clearly, being in the play-in game didn't affect the Sioux for the NCAA's. To me, it would be better to be the 4 but have an easier first round matchup. I guess I'm looking at the next 4 weeks after the 1st round of the WCHA's, not just the Final Five.

I think everyone is over looking the BADgers this weekend, I don't see Minny taking 3/4 points against the BADders, their a defensive dynamo even without Elliot. I would be glad to bet a beer or something like that.

I also think that UAA is going to get steam rolled by the Gophers.

Have to agree Minney is in for a wakeup call and Wisconsin is the team. Minney is good, but the Badgers are better and more consistant - not including their hiccup this past weekend. I do have to say that AA should get at least a point out of the Gophs - wishfull thinking!!

Have to agree Minney is in for a wakeup call and Wisconsin is the team. Minney is good, but the Badgers are better and more consistant - not including their hiccup this past weekend. I do have to say that AA should get at least a point out of the Gophs - wishfull thinking!!

I don't think hoping for 3 points in Madison is any more unrealistic than predicting, "UND would only lose one game" the rest of the way and catch UM in the standings. :D

A play-in team hasn't won the Final Five....but Michigan Tech did advance to the final in 1996 when they beat CC and then were simply worn down and got thumped by MN in the title game.

My point is: who cares about the Final Five? Clearly, being in the play-in game didn't affect the Sioux for the NCAA's. To me, it would be better to be the 4 but have an easier first round matchup. I guess I'm looking at the next 4 weeks after the 1st round of the WCHA's, not just the Final Five.

1996 doesn't sound right to me, Doc. Colorado College played in the NCAA title game in 1996 against Michigan. I think it was 1994 or 1995 when they were upset in the first round of the WCHA tournament against Michigan Tech and then didn't get picked for the NCAA tournament two weeks later despite losing only 3 or 4 games all season. The "Colorado College Rule" came into effect shortly after that season, where a conference regular season champ got an auto-bid to the dance.