SiouxSports.com Forum

Nets behind goals at the Ralph???

Fighting Sioux Fan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether they are installed next year or the year after, the arrival of nets is inevitable, which is really too bad.

I sit ten rows up right behind the net UND defends twice and am not looking forward to watching a game through netting.

I picked my seats with the full knowledge that my young son would be soon seating next to me and do not fear for our safety at games mostly because my wife and I pay very close attention to the puck and the game.

That being said, I have watched warmups from my seat before every home game this year and and have seen many people and their children, young and old, getting drilled by pucks.

However, the majority of the people I have seen hit have been reading the program, chatting with their neighbor or munching on concession stand food. Although these are all acceptable things at a game they are most certainly not advisable during warmups when sitting behind the net(s).

I for one don't think nets are necessary, but too many people just don't get it and refuse to pay close attention to the puck. As such, nets are soon to be a fact of life in all arenas.

and this will lead to reseating of the season tickets. Is this true? Has anyone heard any info about this?

:( Why? Could we stay if we want? Where would they move you to, upper deck?

schmidtdoggydog you're right to many people dreaming, you're there to watch hockey.

People looking around daydreaming, this is what a large part of the "new crowd" does at the Ralph. For many in the stands it has become a social event. I too have noticed that a lot of the people that get hit are not really watching the game too intensely.

BTW-during the Subway tourney did anyone notice the gut who caught a flying puck in his beer cup? He was sitting in the student section. Pretty hilarious!!

I'm surprised the nets aren't already there. After the lady got killed from a puck to the head last year in an NHL game, I figured since the NCAA usually has strickter rules than the NHL, we'd have nets already.

Then again, most of our shots that don't go IN the net tend to hit the post. :(

:( Why? Could we stay if we want? Where would they move you to, upper deck?

schmidtdoggydog you're right to many people dreaming, you're there to watch hockey.

The re-seating of the arena is going to happen, whether nets are installed or not. Although it is a convenient excuse, it is not the reason for the seat changes. It all goes back to the suites being built at a level where the ice is impossible to see when the crowd in the lower bowl is standing.

The re-seating of the arena is going to happen, whether nets are installed or not. Although it is a convenient excuse, it is not the reason for the seat changes. It all goes back to the suites being built at a level where the ice is impossible to see when the crowd in the lower bowl is standing.

Too bad, they actually did screw up something when they designed the Ralph.

I sit ten rows up right behind the net UND defends twice and am not looking forward to watching a game through netting.

Actually I have talked to people that have been to the games in the X-cel energy center apparently the netting isn't too bad. I have heard others say that they keep improving the net to make them easier to see out of.

I understand why they have the netting, however, I think its an over doing type reaction. I suppose you and Scott_M can explain Liability and why we have to have these stupid nets... I am not a lawyer...

I've sat in the lower bowl for about 5 of the games I've attended at the X this year. Don't sweat the net. After the 1st time it won't bother you--just like the glass. The only time a fan who is actually focused on the game will notice it is when there is a stoppage or when a puck gets flipped high enough to go over the net as happened twice against the Kings on Monday. The crowd puts out a sarcastic "Ooooooooo" and then Cheers.

Its a given that the Ralph will have one sooner or later. There is no sense to not installing one because the NHL has now put colleges/arena's on notice that nets are a reasonable safety precaution and they don't ruin the game. Arenas without nets will be more liable for damages if someone gets hurt without a net in place.

I am trying to wounder why I haven't seen it on the hockey game that I have watched on Television...

The NHL told it's teams that they had to put up nets in all the rinks. The NHL also told the teams that they had to use black netting. This is for the benefit of the TV cameras. The TV cameras do not pick up the black netting very well, if at all.

Yes teamsioux, I did notice the person who caught a puck with his

beer at least he was paying attention and didn't waste a good beer.

I hate to disagree as I do believe the nets may take a little away from

the game, but overall to save a life is more important, the person killed

at an NHL game was a young 13 year old girl and I grieve for the parents being one who has lost a child. If the nets save one child or

man or woman, they are well worth the cost and inconvience. (Forgive

my spelling)

Go Sioux!!!

Parise for Hobey!!

And seat belts save lives,don't drink and drive,don't run in the house with a sharp object,wash your hands after the bath room yadda, yadda!

Thank you big brother! :p

I don't know why I leave the house in the morning!It's so dangerous! :(

• 8 months later...
I'm surprised the nets aren't already there. After the lady got killed from a puck to the head last year in an NHL game, I figured since the NCAA usually has strickter rules than the NHL, we'd have nets already.

Then again, most of our shots that don't go IN the net tend to hit the post. :angry:

I think the lady you refer to was a 9 year old little girl at an Atlanta Thrashers game. It was her first NHL game and it could have been her first hockey game ever. Don't know much more about it than that. It was tragic.

But the reality is this: Whether the fans should be watching or not, the Ralph nor UND wants to be financially responsible for a tragedy directly resulting from play on the ice or play coming off of it. Tragedies happen and I realize that it is something everyone wishes to prevent, but prevention has become the primary focus at the games for the administration. PR and entertainment is a close second. Do I think this is right? I dont know. I think it is how it has to be regardless of how I feel about it.

I believe that she was a 10 year old girl, and it was a deflected shot from Espn Knutsen at a Blue Jacket's game.

Safety is more important than the cost here. As much as we would like, not everyone is going to be watching hte game as closely as most of us, so there needs to be something in place to protect those that don't.

I believe that she was a 10 year old girl, and it was a deflected shot from Espn Knutsen at a Blue Jacket's game.

You are correct.

Safety isn't that big of a concern for people who watch the game and pay attention to it, but there are a lot of people who are not constantly following the puck and therefore are put in danger.

If they ran the net from the top of the glass to the bottom edge of the electronic ring it would minimize the sight-line impact for the great majority of folks and yet still protect the crowd.

I'm not too worried about the stray puck doing much damage in the upper deck.

Now it's time to go work on that "invisible netting" patent. :D:angry: