SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux/Gophers

Siouxdonyms

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone really think he tried to fire-it into the crowd?:D Please. Sioux sucked tonight and our netminder wasn't the problem. No heart, no want-to. how many pucks did the Sioux come-away with in the corners??? enough said...... the Sioux sucked tonight. Last year we had less talent but more "heart." i don't ever remember a "Sioux" team lay down like that. dissappointing to say the least...........

Does anyone really think he tried to fire-it into the crowd?:D Please. Sioux sucked tonight and our netminder wasn't the problem. No heart, no want-to. how many pucks did the Sioux come-away with in the corners??? enough said...... the Sioux sucked tonight. Last year we had less talent but more "heart." i don't ever remember a "Sioux" team lay down like that. dissappointing to say the least...........

Tony you needed to lace up last night and put on circus, wow did we ever get beat - who would have thunk it!

Brutal play...Gophers looked good but the way the Sioux played it's hard to tell how good they are.

Right now there is no team chemistry. Their passing is terrible, they don't move their feet, not physical enough, etc, etc, etc. It looks like the only thing they know how to do is dump and chase. The never seem to know where a teammate is on the ice. Right now this is an average, at best, hockey team. Split with Harvard, split with AA, get hammered by Minnesota. Unless they start turning this around quickly they will finish early and REA will be a very empty arena for the regional.

Looking at WCHA scores last night, who are the 4th and 5th place teams going to be? Could well be SCSU, UAA, Mankato, or even MTU. At any rate, there appears to be a large gap between 1-3 and 4-10. 4-10=ECAC or CHA.

THe dollar signs in the eyes of the high draft picks ought to be disappearing soon. We may not lose anyone early, why would any pro organization want to sign anyone in green, based on last night's effort.

Hard to tell on TV, but it appeared the Sioux were playing with just a goalie and one skater on the ice, as no more than one ever appeared near the puck, and noone (except a gopher) ever appeared on the screen at the other end of a Sioux pass. No forecheck, gophers had an unbelievable amount of room to operate. Brutal.

Wow. Was that a whipping. Always fun being in The John jawing with Goophie fans. What I like most about them, perhaps, is their keen ability to see the lines better than the linesmen, and their rather quick tendency to turn on their boys. Right before the Sioux's only goal, the Gophers were standing around, for really the one and only time, on their major powerplay. The fans start crying about it. Next thing, the Gophers score and all is well. If they ain't crying about something, then they're flying over something. Manic almost.

This said, those Gopher fans had every right to enjoy their night last night. Lammy was a stud in net. Score coulda easlily been 9-2. The Gophers were fired up and ready to play. The Sioux simply were not. On paper, the Gophers are no better. On the ice, at least right now, the Gophers are far better.

For us, the best thing about the night was before the game, during warm-ups, when Marvin and Kaip, in their suits, calmly walked into the Gopher student section and took a sign that was poking fun at Bina, a classless sign, from two idiots. Hardly a word of protest came from the Gopher clowns, or from the folks around them.

So, the Sioux's best play of the night came from two of their guys in street clothes.

I have heard that the winning percentage for all WCHA teams on their first game back from a trip to Alaska is 11%. So much for the scheduling gods. No excuse, but it must be hard to make that trip and keep the energy level up. These boys struggled last night. They are too good to keep struggling. Last night was a big bump, and hopefully a major wake-up. Tonight will be a better game, and hopefully a different outcome.

There are still ten league points left in the month, and here is saying that we get at least eight of them. The Sioux will be hosting the West Regional in March, and they will be doing so from the ice, not the bleachers.

We'll be back in the arena tonight. Loud and proud. Right until the final buzzer.

As for that, the Gopher student section starts the big Beat the Traffic chant with about eight minutes to go. Funny thing, they were chanting it at their own legions of devoted and knowledgeable fans who apparently do not know that it is simply bad form, and a stupid thing, to leave any hockey game before the final buzzer.

Afraid to say I was at the game last night. Was that a tough one to watch or what?

From our SRO seats behind the gopher goal, here are my thoughts. This is the first game I've seen live this year, and have only watched a few on TV, so keep that in mind.

1. While the shots were heavily in MN's favor to start the game I really didn't think the Sioux were getting dominated THAT badly. Of course, the play was at the other end of the ice, but it didn't seem like the gophers got that many good scoring chances. However, after the MN goal, we commented that we didn't like the body language of the Sioux players out on the ice. It didn't bode well, and it turned out we were right.

2. While I would like to think that Sheppard had the following conversation with this refs "Guys, Lucia really shouldn't have lost a player for this game, keep that in mind", the awful truth is that was completely immaterial to the final outcome. The gophers beat the Sioux, and beat them badly. The gophers looked better, more skilled and more confident.

3. As has been mentioned before, the Sioux had little flow because there seemed to be very little chemistry on the ice last night. I thought the Oshie/Toews/Porter line was the worst line last night. Duncan/Watkins/Kozek line worked hard, and they show promise.

4. Sioux power play. My lack of knowledge is about to get exposed, but here are my thoughts. The gophers really looked great on the power play. Crisp passes, and seem to know how to find an open man to pass to. Though I felt the Sioux PK worked hard. However, the Sioux PP was pathetic last night. It appeared to me they set up a 4 man umbrella around the zone and tried to park a man in front. Then get the puck to Lee to run the power play on top. The gophers would park a killer between each Sioux player and the net. The Sioux would pass the puck around the exterior, but no one seemed to skate anywhere. The gophers could have killed 10 minutes of penalty with the same unit because they only had to stand there. It seemed to me the Sioux needed to skate around with the puck some, and make the gopher players move around, thus opening up some space. Just didn't happen.

Player thoughts:

I thought Stafford played a very good game until I read Hak's comment. Maybe that was just one mistake for the night, but Stafford played very hard, I thought.

Spirko was probably the best Sioux forward, but there was just no gelling on that first line last night.

Last year when Zajac touched the puck I would almost stand up in my seat because I expected something great would happen. I wish Hak would have dressed him last night....

Toews did some nice things last night, but not a lot.

Oshie's energy reserves crapped out last night. You could see the mind was calling for action, but his body was giving nothing.

Porter worked hard, but got nothing going.

Duncan played a pretty good game and I thought he was one of the bright spots last night.

Kozek continues to impress me with the physical nature of his game. Unfortunately, his line couldn't quite work themselves open for some good shots.

Watkins didn't exhibit the speed I'd heard about. Unfortunately lost his edge a couple of times, at bad moments. I think he did hit the post, or just miss on an open opportunity at one point. That was too bad.

From where we were, we thought Foyt's hit was more from the side than the back, but I haven't seen a replay. He played hard and maybe the team missed his energy the rest of the way.

Prpich played ok, but he has to be smarter than to take that double minor. Goligoski committed the first penalty, taking Prpich to the boards with a high elbow, then falling on him and holding him down behind the play. The linesman was not watching until.....Prpich had enough, grabbed Goligoski, took him down, and pushed his head towards the ice. All with the linesman skating toward them. Mike......you can't DO that.

Fabian played fairly well, and what a nice move on the goalie. I laughed last week when the AA announcers called him "one of the good ones" referring to him as a goalscorer after his breakaway goal. Yet last night he really looked good putting that one past Briggs. One thought maybe the Sioux were going to turn the tables but that quickly went by the side.

It's hard for me to critique a goalie. Lammy looked ok to me, though I expect he'd like a couple back and only lose 4-1. Oh well. After the second period, when the Sioux players were coming back to give him a pat on the back I noticed Lammy ignored them all and sprinted towards the lockerroom. Don't know if he was upset with himself or them.

Finley looked pretty good last night I thought. Those who are criticizing him for being soft hopefully saw him play last night. No crushing open ice hits but I think those will come. He seems pretty mobile, and he played the body pretty well along the boards I thought. He seems more comfortable than what I'd seen on TV earlier in the year.

Smaby played a very strong game, I thought. Really worked hard.

Chorney looked solid.

Lee looked solid, and seemed a little more aggressive than I've sometimes thought.

Radke needs to quit swinging the stick, otherwise, I didn't notice him too much.

Jones looked very solid last night. He played aggressively and physically. He seems more comfortable than when I watched him on TV early in the season.

I don't know what the answer is tonite, I really don't. But with some of the body language we saw in the first period last night I have to wonder if this team has what it takes to come back tonite. They did play much better in the 3rd last night, but who knows if that's because the gophers had the huge lead and lost a bit of the edge that made them so successful earlier in the game.

My personal frustration for the game was the 2 fogies in front of me who cringed every time I'd yell "GO SIOUX!". It was so bad I finally started warning them before I was going to yell. Talk about taking the sponteneity out of the game....

Still wish I had a ticket for tonite.

I have never seen a game where the Sioux were so outclassed,outworked and very out coached.We have had Hakstol for a year and a half and when can you say he outcoached anyone.Last year if it wasn't for the senior class finally waking up it would have been a dismal year also. There doesn't seem to be any fire or desire from this team at all and i think it starts at the top with Hakstols blank stares from the bench wtf. When have you seen a Sioux team get outshot by almost every team,home and away.A very dismal home record no forecheck pressure, no breakout from there own zone and nobody can pass or catch a pass,maybe they need to go back to the basics! I think Hakstols reign should be short and lets get back to Sioux hockey. when sitting through the last of Ginos year its like deju vu all over again.when Blais was here it was the "teams" goal to hold every team under 20 shots per game not per period and if you were a forward and your assignment got an uncontested shot off from the point you sat the next shift,you caught on or you sat period.the lack of fire and discipline is very disturbing and it points to the coaching staff,at least we lead the league in one area,checking from behind and considering what happened to Bina that doesn't make much sense. Looks like we can all sell our regional tickets to a CC fan or worse the Gopher fans.Hopefully this year goes by fast and we have a change at the top(the whole crew) and we can get back to Fighting Sioux hockey not the high school product we have now :D

Raynman03 . . . .

Take two powders, lie down, and take a nap. Things are not as bad as you make them out to be. They will seem better when you wake up.

It is the WCHA, where every team is solid, and where the best college hockey in the world is played.

Things happen. If you have great seats to the West, I will buy them from you right now. You will, of course, be making a big mistake if you take me up on my offer.

Wow. Was that a whipping. Always fun being in The John jawing with Goophie fans. What I like most about them, perhaps, is their keen ability to see the lines better than the linesmen, and their rather quick tendency to turn on their boys. Right before the Sioux's only goal, the Gophers were standing around, for really the one and only time, on their major powerplay. The fans start crying about it. Next thing, the Gophers score and all is well. If they ain't crying about something, then they're flying over something. Manic almost.

As for that, the Gopher student section starts the big Beat the Traffic chant with about eight minutes to go. Funny thing, they were chanting it at their own legions of devoted and knowledgeable fans who apparently do not know that it is simply bad form, and a stupid thing, to leave any hockey game before the final buzzer.

Great point. The Sioux fans never turn on their boys....oh wait....did you read the last five pages of this thread?

And of course Gopher fans are going to leave early. A 6-1 slaughter....they're not masochists.

NorthDakotaHockey I won't be selling my seats no matter how bad it gets,it was a mad outburst and I will not lie down and take it easy when a team that I cheer for and have been to almost every home game since 83-84 and lots of away games goes out and plays like they have for most of the year,barely splitting with Denver,swept by Wisconson,will be swept by the Gophers,splitting with AA and Harvard and barely sweeping Bemidji.I was at Bemidji and they barely held on to win there.

NorthDakotaHockey I won't be selling my seats no matter how bad it gets,it was a mad outburst and I will not lie down and take it easy when a team that I cheer for and have been to almost every home game since 83-84 and lots of away games goes out and plays like they have for most of the year,barely splitting with Denver,swept by Wisconson,will be swept by the Gophers,splitting with AA and Harvard and barely sweeping Bemidji.I was at Bemidji and they barely held on to win there.

10-4 Raynman. I figured it was an outburst, and a justified one at that. You are a lucky fan to have been to so many games for so many years. Nothing beats following the Fighting Sioux, both at home and, especially, on the road.

... it appeared the Sioux were playing with just a goalie and one skater on the ice, ...

If I had the reigns, and the roster to do it, only two guys from Friday would dress for tonight:

- Phillippe Lamoureux

- Eric Fabian

The rest can sit. They didn't skate.

Apparently not hockey fans either. At least not true and knowledgeable hockey fans. Go plan your

trip to Madison, that is if you have any allowance coming from momma.

My group ALWAYS stays....sadly we have too many frat boys/girls ready to leave and tap a keg in Mecca, or is it each other? :D

NDH, saw ya last night and I must say, most posts I've seen from you in a while! Stop by for a bump today!...dags, I am sad you never stopped down ad said hi...

As for the sign, totally classless, and I doubt you'd find many who thought it was....good job by your boys, altho, maybe should have left it up to security so no possible issues could have arose....

Drop the puck, looking forward to tonight!

WPoS

Brutal play...Gophers looked good but the way the Sioux played it's hard to tell how good they are.

Right now there is no team chemistry. Their passing is terrible, they don't move their feet, not physical enough, etc, etc, etc. It looks like the only thing they know how to do is dump and chase. The never seem to know where a teammate is on the ice. Right now this is an average, at best, hockey team. Split with Harvard, split with AA, get hammered by Minnesota. Unless they start turning this around quickly they will finish early and REA will be a very empty arena for the regional.

i think the sioux made the goofers look good. we couldnt do anything, one reason why their forwards forchecked our defense in our own zone trying to break out. i think it starts from there. we have to be able to break out of our zone alot better than what we did last night. The captains need to step up the play on the ice,i mean by smart and physical play on both ends of the ice along with the rest of the team bleed some greeeeeeeeeeeeenn. In the locker room the leaders need to question the hearts of the players. Some arses need to be kicked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they need a motivator. That said lets kick some arse tonight. Bleed some green!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dagies,

Good points. Got some comments on your player thoughts.

Stafford did work hard, but he did the same thing again that got him "in trouble" in the last series: He tried to do everything himself.

Zajac was alright but pretty much nullified.

Oshie... well, when I was watching the game it looked like the Minnesota defense spent a LOT of time trying to nullify him. And this is where I was disappointed in Toews, Porter, and anyone else who was on the ice. Oshie was routinely getting two men covering him. That's two less covering Porter and Toews. I think they should have done something to capitalize on Oshie's double team.

Toews: Apart from what I said above, I really don't think he played that poorly. He was one of the only players who won faceoffs last night, he had a pretty darn good scoring opportunity that I believe Briggs got a piece of othwerwise it was top shelf glove side. And he did this with a Gopher draped all over him. I think he'll look better.

Porter actually had one of the best opportunities before the Fabian goal that I saw. He just couldn't get it past Briggs from close in. Otherwise, I didn't notice him much. It's a sad thing for me to say because I've always been really big on Porter.

Watkins- Sure he worked hard but his attempt to play the puck lead to a Vanelli goal. He needs to be more solid than he was defensively last night.

Fabian and Prpich I thought had decent games. Prpich's double minor was only grating because, really, Goligoski should have gotten an extra 2 as well for elbowing. Funny thing is that retaliation is a penalty but the initial hit is legal. Can't figure out why that is.

Foyt: He was NOT playing well even before the major. Losing sight of the puck is NOT a good idea when you are in the defensive zone. He's a walk on defenseman that I'm happy isn't playing any defense. Foyt's major penalty WAS a 5 minute major. It did appear as though Foyt was definitely trying to arrest his forward progress towards the Gopher player but it was too late. It was a call Campion had to make and, according to the rules, was a good call. If the crackdown wasn't in effect, I'd've still called Foyt for boarding.

Powerplay: You are absolutely right dagies. It was pathetic. I can't believe no one wants to shoot the puck! I'm no expert and I get flamed a lot more than you do, but you are right! Why not try to get something going by collasping the umbrella? Or perhaps getting two players in front of the net and taking a shot? I don't know, but Briggs, even when he's been a sieve, hasn't been a sieve from the point. Get close in on him and he'll be much more vulnerable. Chorney's shot that went above the goal on the PP had me yelling at the TV "Thank you Taylor! Thank you for not being afraid to shoot!"

PK: We did make mistakes on the PK and it cost us nearly every time.

Finley: He DID look good last night even though I wouldn't have checked Kaufmann after the whistle. He was lucky Evan retaliated. I like how he was blocking shots.

Blocking shots: We did do well up until the last 2 minutes of the major penalty in this category.

Phil did do well. And if he skated away from his teammates I hope they paid attention. It was pathetic out there.

Chorney and Jones did play well. I think Radke just needs to play the game. He also isn't afraid to shoot on the PP. Despite what happened tonight, I hope Hak plays Kyle tonight.

TC Transport we never leave early when were winning and we only get on our team on message boards to vent not at the Ralph

Why are you justifying yourself to him?

The only reason why he posts here is to flame and berate the Sioux and their fans. Just put him on ignore and go on with rooting for your team (even if it is the Gophers).