SiouxSports.com Forum

UND FB Recruiting

UND Fan

I'm also extremely surprised that no running backs (Kasowski and Schwenzfeier will almost certainly play defense) or receivers were signed. That's very unusual.

German was a FB at South. It's happened before at UND that a two-player in HS was recruited for one side of the ball and ends up on the other, for example, think "#5" and "Wahpeton" in recent history.

There is a TE ("sudo"-receiver :p ) on that list, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a QB looked at for the WR position depending on how all of the QBs on the roster develop over time.

German was a FB at South. It's happened before at UND that a two-player in HS was recruited for one side of the ball and ends up on the other, for example, think "#5" and "Wahpeton" in recent history.

There is a TE ("sudo"-receiver :p ) on that list, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a QB looked at for the WR position depending on how all of the QBs on the roster develop over time.

Roland was recruited as a running back. He was tried a bit at safety when the coaches felt the backfield was a little crowded, but got a chance again when Miller went down and Riza had better things to do. Roland was recruited here with the intention of being a running back.

Here's the list of recruits. I have to wonder if perhaps there are more to come? If not, this would be the smallest recruiting class in several years. I'm also extremely surprised that no running backs (Kasowski and Schwenzfeier will almost certainly play defense) or receivers were signed. That's very unusual.

Im thinking we are fairly set at RB right Now and in The Future, I'm sure at least this Year it was not a Pirority...

RB

Beatty-Senior

Strouth-Junior

Sundby-Junior

Brady-Soph

Armentrouth-Soph

Chapell-Fresh

Plus..Dressler..in that positions at times.also

Roland was recruited as a running back. He was tried a bit at safety when the coaches felt the backfield was a little crowded, but got a chance again when Miller went down and Riza had better things to do. Roland was recruited here with the intention of being a running back.

So Roland went to the other side of the ball .... twice! ;)

Im thinking we are fairly set at RB right Now and in The Future, I'm sure at least this Year it was not a Pirority...

RB

Beatty-Senior

Strouth-Junior

Sundby-Junior

Brady-Soph

Armentrouth-Soph

Chapell-Fresh

Plus..Dressler..in that positions at times.also

I was looking at it from a worst-case scenario:

1. Beatty is done after this year for sure;

2. Strouth may or may not come back for a 6th year, which would mean he could also be done after this season;

3. Sundby's health is an unknown to me (bad injury a couple of years ago);

4. so that leaves Brady, Armentrout and Chappell (who may possibly play some at receiver, a la Dressler).

I know the coaches did try recruit some backs, and I have no problem with not signing any if the top 3-4 guys all decided to go elsewhere. Better to wait rather than simply signing guys for the sake of signing backs if they are not projected to be likely contributors down the road. Running back would seem to be a position where you can fill in with a transfer, either juco or division I, if necessary.

Here's the list of recruits. I have to wonder if perhaps there are more to come? If not, this would be the smallest recruiting class in several years. I'm also extremely surprised that no running backs (Kasowski and Schwenzfeier will almost certainly play defense) or receivers were signed. That's very unusual.

Based on this article, it was clear UND was after at least one receiver:

http://www.dunnconnect.com/articles/2006/0...ts/sports02.txt

Not saying this recruiting class isn't going to be great, but it does not appear to be as strong as previous years, where UND won many recruiting battles against NDSU and most vs. SCSU. This year, it appears the tables were turned. UND's DI study has been used by other coaches as a reason not to attend UND (this year's recruits may never see a playoff game if a DI move is made). Also have to wonder if Tibesar wasn't a big part of the recruiting success in this past.

Not saying this recruiting class isn't going to be great, but it does not appear to be as strong as previous years, where UND won many recruiting battles against NDSU and most vs. SCSU. This year, it appears the tables were turned. UND's DI study has been used by other coaches as a reason not to attend UND (this year's recruits may never see a playoff game if a DI move is made). Also have to wonder if Tibesar wasn't a big part of the recruiting success in this past.

agree will all of above...not a banner year, but a good one, I really like the central boys...

This highlights one of our biggest challenges (whether we are DI or DII), this kid wanted to be closer to home. There just are a limited number of recruits within a reasonable distance from Grand Forks.

DI caliber athletes are more apt to choose a school farther from home but to the plains and weather of North Dakota, I am not so sure.

This highlights one of our biggest challenges (whether we are DI or DII), this kid wanted to be closer to home. There just are a limited number of recruits within a reasonable distance from Grand Forks.

DI caliber athletes are more apt to choose a school farther from home but to the plains and weather of North Dakota, I am not so sure.

All the more reason that the playing and practice facilities have to be first-rate.

If UND went DI, the capability of offering full scholarships will be a major help in recruiting Canadian athletes. Partial scholly Americans are eligible for other grants and aid. A partial athletic scholarship doesn't really help a Canadian athlete much - with higher tuition rates - unless he /she also gets an academic partial.

If Tibesar was responsible for Wisconsin (I thought somebody said he was but I'm not sure), then it really seems as though his departure may have had an impact. We got far fewer Wisconsin signees than the past two seasons.

I am pleased with our linebacker signees. I believe Cochran, Dublanko and Kasowski all run very well, and German is very solid on the inside. They should nicely complement last year's outstanding group of Stroup, Miller, Dombrovski, etc.

• Like 1

I think you'd have to say that this was a pretty good year for North Dakota high school talent, judging by the number of signees thus far. UND signed eight; NDSU four; other NCC schools signed three; and so far, eight more have signed with NSIC schools (Mary hasn't announced yet). Bubba signed two (Zack Winkler from North Border and Jamie Sigl from Bismarck); while Wahpeton's Cole Zarak signed with Augie. I don't know to what extent, if any, UND recruited Winkler, Sigl or Zarak.

I heard that Jeff was in FL at some kicking school. Does anyone know if this is true or not. What are Digger and Chris up to now. Obviously they are working out, but does anybody know where they are working?

Kuper is in Denver getting ready for the combine and I think Digger is working out in Minneapolis.

Jeff is working out down south somewhere, with The Kicking Gru of the NFL "Blevens"....There was a article of this guy about 2 years ago in Sports Illustrated...He has helped...Vinatari,Akers,Brown..alot of NFL Kickers...He is confined to a wheel Chair, But a Great Teacher.....

I think you'd have to say that this was a pretty good year for North Dakota high school talent, judging by the number of signees thus far. UND signed eight; NDSU four; other NCC schools signed three; and so far, eight more have signed with NSIC schools (Mary hasn't announced yet). Bubba signed two (Zack Winkler from North Border and Jamie Sigl from Bismarck); while Wahpeton's Cole Zarak signed with Augie. I don't know to what extent, if any, UND recruited Winkler, Sigl or Zarak.

UND recruited all four that signed with the Bison no doubt, and wanted the other three that signed with other NCC schools. You don't want to lose in-state talent to programs like Duluth & Augie!!

UND recruited all four that signed with the Bison no doubt, and wanted the other three that signed with other NCC schools. You don't want to lose in-state talent to programs like Duluth & Augie!!

UND may have asked them to walk on, which means they didn't want those guys that badly or not as much as the wanted some other players.