SiouxSports.com Forum

Jeff Bredahl reporting

Hopper

Keep in mind that I have (in the past) only read this site. In fact, I have only replied to a few of the topics on this site. I want you to also keep in mind that I have read a lot of new topics that I want to comment on, but hold back to see how they play out on their own. However, this is just something I want to throw out there.....for anyone else that sees this topic as I do. For those that do not, feel free to set me wrong...I also realize that no one is perfect! Here's what I want to know. All of the people that I have talked to about the TV coverage of Sioux hockey tell me, and it is my opinion also, that coverage would be better if Jeff Bredahl would take a leave of absence. He makes the UND Sioux hockey team sound lucky when something good happens to or for them. However, he makes each opponent sound like the Crem-de-le-Crem of hockey. I, personally, have watched all of the home games (either at the Ralph or on the couch) and have noticed that even if the team makes a drastic mistake in person, it looks better than if they have scored a winning goal when Jeff explains the replay on TV. He seems to have a negative outlook on the Sioux team....let me rephrase...he doesn't give credit to the Sioux hockey team when they make an earth-shattering play, but rather criticizes them even when they score or make a good play. Let me go further! He downplays almost every Sioux accomplishment, but goes on to say that it was a fluke (in his own terms) when the Sioux make an "earth-shattering play. However, no matter how bad it looks, when the other team scores or makes a play that would normally be "expected of D-1 players", he makes it sound (on TV) that the whole (opposing team) is worthy of the Hobey Baker Award.......including the coach! For a guy who scored 1 goal and had 4 assists (Career at UND), he sure knows a lot about coaching, reffing and playing. He seems to have an opinion about everything, but I'm sure someone out there could be more partial to the home team if his demeanor doesn't change. I'm not saying he should go, but rather that he should watch the game, remember what team he played for and is supposedly supporting, and then renew his stance at the microphone at the Ralph. After all, he IS representing one heck or a tradition....and I might add.....ONE HECK OF A HOCKEY TEAM. To me, for a local broadcaster......His interpretations of Sioux hockey and views of the game on home ice are interpreted badly on this end! Please....and don't hold back if you are a viewer....let me know what you think!!!!

I know we can't all hold season tickets....but we can at least turn down the TV volume and listen to 96.1 while enjoying the essence of a great team who may very well be headed to a National Championship if this blasphemy isn't ended!!!! If you read this personally Jeff, I think you could do well by this team, but at least watch a tape of one of the games you have been a part of, and listen to how it would sound to a group of hardcore Sioux fans hoping to hear nothing but good about our boys!!!!

I refuse to listen two those two clowns, Pat Sweeny Jeff Bredahl suck period, thank God I only have to listen to him like twice a year max. I ussually turn the volume off when I watch a hockey broadcast and listen to Tim Hennessy. I love the fact that he is possitive and Sweeny and Jeff are just boring, there is no energy in their broadcast what so ever. I am not sure why WDAZ and WDAY keep coming back with these two clowns. Jeff must have been a first line star with his one goal and four assists...

I am sure he is an expert on hockey. I also believe we could find a better combination to do broadcasts. If I am not mistaken Sweeny is a former UofM fan or student or is from there so maybe that is the one of the problems.

Riverman is right though, we don't want Mysocko and Woogster type people.

I actually like Woogster since he is not on the bench anymore. I can't stand Mysocko though, what a putz... Nice hair piece frank...

remember the days of eddie shultz or even dan hammer? these guys were up-beat guys that made the game very exciting with their commentary. although, as i remember, neither were hockey experts but they could call a game and add something to it with their style. the gerital twins of swat peedy and bredahl do little for me. **also, i like to listen to hennessy on the net but why isn't t. o'keefe doing the color commentary?

O'keefe gave up his banking job in Fargo to take a position with the UND Alumni or Foundation office. When he took the job he made the comment that the demands of the job would not allow him time to do the color commentary for the Sioux hockey games, although he has done a couple of games this year. By the way, even though Bredahl may not be the most exciting commentator to listen to, he knows alot about the game and if you actually listen to him you will actually learn quite a bit about strategy and positioning.

DG

Bredahl may not be the most exciting commentator to listen to, he knows alot about the game and if you actually listen to him you will actually learn quite a bit about strategy and positioning.

DG

If you have the ability to listen to him without losing your lunch...

dickgraham......"O'keefe gave up his banking job in Fargo to take a position with the UND Alumni or Foundation office. When he took the job he made the comment that the demands of the job would not allow him time to do the color commentary for the Sioux hockey games, although he has done a couple of games this year. By the way, even though Bredahl may not be the most exciting commentator to listen to, he knows alot about the game and if you actually listen to him you will actually learn quite a bit about strategy and positioning. "

Just want to comment to dickgraham. I do agree that he may know something about hockey, but the way it comes across is not taken well by most viewers. He seems to down-play the Sioux team's effort in the process. So, as far as exciting...never questioned this part of his broadcast...I do, however, have to wonder why things come across as they do. I feel firmly about the fact that he should listen to one of his broadcasts and see if maybe there isn't a way to acknowledge the efforts of the home team a little better than he is currently. I bet if this were a "viewer only" sight, there would be more than just my post on this topic.

I don't find him to be terribly dynamic but he does seem informative to this hockey-challenged viewer. I have felt he tries not to be a big homer, and that is what I like about Woog too. He's not afraid to say if the home team screws up, etc.

I will watch my tapes a bit more closely now to see if I am glossing over your criticisms or not.

I find it hard to listen to Bredahl and Sweeney at times, but it's better than nothing. I do think, though, that the tv broadcasts would be better off if they could just use Hennesey's play by play, and have pre-taped interviews with the team, coaches, etc. for intermissions. One good thing I have to say about Sweeney, though, is that he knows a lot of trivia about sports. What a memory.

I would suggest, though, that Sweeney stop spelling players' names. I don't know if anyone else notices this, but he is always spelling their names during play, and it drives me nuts. And Bredahl, shut up about Minot natives already. It's getting a bit old.

As for Woog, I actually enjoy listening to him. I'd rather listen to his commentary of a Sioux/Gopher game than Sweeney and Bredahl.

Forecheck--

Did you really write: "As for Woog, I actually enjoy listening to him. I'd rather listen to his commentary of a Sioux/Gopher game than Sweeney and Bredahl."

Now, I know the California sun has baked your brain, girl. Woog, ugh!

Granted, I am a Gopher fan but I think Woog does a pretty good job. When I hear other college analysts, they don't really do much other than comment on things the average fan already knows or can see. Woog will actually go beyond that and explain things (strategy, etc.) and he does a pretty good job of it.

Woog may bleed Maroon and Gold down deep but he isn't afraid to criticize (whether it is the Gophers or their opponent) when it is warranted. He isn't the homer you'd think he'd be.

Granted, I am a Gopher fan but I think Woog does a pretty good job. When I hear other college analysts, they don't really do much other than comment on things the average fan already knows or can see. Woog will actually go beyond that and explain things (strategy, etc.) and he does a pretty good job of it.

Woog may bleed Maroon and Gold down deep but he isn't afraid to criticize (whether it is the Gophers or their opponent) when it is warranted. He isn't the homer you'd think he'd be.

I agree, I like listening to Woog. He is usually pretty honest in what is happening on the ice. Plus, he is cute is a dorky sort of way (and no im not gay.)

Forecheck--

Did you really write: "As for Woog, I actually enjoy listening to him. I'd rather listen to his commentary of a Sioux/Gopher game than Sweeney and Bredahl."

Now, I know the California sun has baked your brain, girl. Woog, ugh!

Nope, my brain is clear as a bell! My image of Woog increased 10 fold when I saw him do his little "Olympic" run at the new REA last year with a yellow feather duster before the HOF game. I thought it was hilarious! And then I realized, besides thinking he is funny, I like listening to him comment on the game as well.

Sweeney and Bredahl try to be funny, and don't succeed, IMO.

Don't forget, Woog loves the WCHA almost as much as he loves the Gophers. For the record, I feel Jeff Sauer is just as good as Woog when I've heard him interviewed (and possibly done a MN-UW game???) and I hated him as a coach. Anyway, Woog's stories about John Mariucci, John MacInnes, Murray Armstrong, et al are priceless.

But, the best part about Woog is he doesn't take himself to seriously and he can laugh at himself.

I'd have to agree with those who like Woog's commentary. He's still in tuned to the college game and he knows the people. I can't blame him for being a bit of a homer at times, but he's generally pretty fair when it comes to critiquing the play of Minnesota and other teams. Besides, sometimes he gets so excited about the play, I can almost imagine him running down to get behind the bench himself. :(