SiouxSports.com Forum

Jeff Bredahl reporting

Hopper

I'm re-opening this topic so that all of you doubter's can listen to the lack of "home team spirit" we receive this weekend. We will continually hear how lucky we (The Sioux) are, and how talented and precison-based each play is made by the CC team. We will also hear how good Peter Sejna is, and how Zach Parise is "always in the right spot", as though it were a stroke of luck! Just listen to the underlying message....and I think a lot of you doubting Tom's will see at least a mere hint of where I'm coming from! I'd venture to say it will be more than a mere hint though.......Let me know what you think......and I will reply with any improvements this fan has to acknowledge!

And by looking at Jeff numbers from Fight on Sioux, Jeff wasn't that impressive of a IUND hocky player 21 games and 1 goal - 4 assits. I might have to listen to TH and CP on 96.1 the fox... I heard Marnie Gelner the other day on FSN, I think we should get her back for UND sports.

On to Pat Sweeny is not the most inspiring color person in the world either. It soundsl like he is going to fall asleep. Yesh, I am getting ready to be bored out of my mind listening to these two clowns...

I agree on the entertainment value of the Yale game- it was great live radio. I couldn't believe other listeners got so bent out of shape by TH's call and actions.

That was funny, TH said something to the effect do I have to put up with that or that guy. Didn't he like ask TH if he wanted to step outside for a go around...

Not going to get too in depth here, but yeah, getting a bit tired of Bredahl talking up CC and kind of downplaying the fact that at this point, the Sioux are up 3-0 and have killed 2 CC powerplays. I understand that he is probably going for the "unbiased" approach, but in my opinion he is going too far to the other side of it. Not real impressed thus far with him tonight. On the other hand, SIOUX ROCK!!! So far so good, lots of hockey left though, but they boys are looking like they showed up to play some hockey.

Anybody else think that Olympic size ice doesn't seem right for the college game? It just looks too big for the size and skill of college of hockey. Not saying college players suck by no means, just saying that it seems a bit big for the game.

I turned the volume up on the TV during a radio timeout and Jeff said the Sioux were getting lucky bounces in the first period. I went back to the radio ASAP and got to hear Tim talk about how the Sioux have owned the game. Jeff is clearly an idiot and should be sent packing with Eddie.

I turned the volume up on the TV during a radio timeout and Jeff said the Sioux were getting lucky bounces in the first period. I went back to the radio ASAP and got to hear Tim talk about how the Sioux have owned the game. Jeff is clearly an idiot and should be sent packing with Eddie.

Here is the best cure for Jeff, turn down the volume and listen to Tim Hennesey. Ussually my wife hates to listen to the game on the T.V., somthing about the sound of Sports Radio drives her nuts, but after listening to Bredahl, my said go get the radio I can't listen to this idiot anymore. Now my wife is a UND hockey fan not a rabbid fan, just a casual fan that goes to a few game every year. If she says Bredahl is bad, he is bad...

I am not sure why he keeps doing television, I mean of all the UND alumni out there couldn't we find a more colorful person to do the the broadcast, Sweeny is not very exciting either...

Here is the best cure for Jeff, turn down the volume and listen to Tim Hennesey.

That's what I always do. I can't provide an opinion on Jeff's color commentary because I don't listen to it. But I wonder if perhaps part of his job isn't to provide balance to the broadcast, knowing that not everyone watching is a Sioux fan.

I don't know what outfit WDAZ contracts with to do the camera work, but over the past few years when the games from CC have been broadcast, watching them is a painful experience. If they'd just use the center-ice camera and follow the puck up and down the ice, it would improve the broadcast 100%.

The tv coverage was horrible, I was getting dizzy and thought I was going to have a seizure. I have not seen camera work like that since The Blair witch Project. The West Fargo public access has better quality work than that. I actually called my friend who was in his car driving back to town and listening to the game on the radio to find out what was going on--since the tv coverage was horrible and the audio on the tv was brutal. The second most dissappointing aspect of the game to the loss, was that when we heard Terry Cullen was going to be the between period interview, we had money riding on whether Pat Sweeney would even know that Matt Cullen had been traded to Florida the day before, but Bredahl did the interview.

That's what I always do. I can't provide an opinion on Jeff's color commentary because I don't listen to it. But I wonder if perhaps part of his job isn't to provide balance to the broadcast, knowing that not everyone watching is a Sioux fan.

I don't know what outfit WDAZ contracts with to do the camera work, but over the past few years when the games from CC have been broadcast, watching them is a painful experience. If they'd just use the center-ice camera and follow the puck up and down the ice, it would improve the broadcast 100%.

As I posted in another thread, WDAZ gets the video feed from the CC station. They just go there to do the commentary, which obviously isn't needed. The radio is what we want to listen to anyway.

Okay, I will eat crow tonight.....but not the whole bird! I have to say, Jeff had a little fairness in his 'tone' as the game progressed. I have to confess, I actually listened to the game to give him another chance. I have listened to Hennesey the last few games, just for a change of attitude.....mine, no one else's. I wanted to see if I could distinguish between my perspective of the game, and the announcer's comments during the action. Well, I have to say that Hennesey pounds the he-double hockey stick out of Bredahl, but he did a good job on Friday night......in my opinion! He had his moments, where I wanted my son to turn the volume down and turn the radio on, but I fought off the temptation to see what I could learn about myself.

I have to say he did better, but he has along way to go to tickle my fancy. I'm no hockey star, but I enjoy the game with if the commentator shares my views///or goes completely against them (thanks Woog). But, I am trying to give Jeff another chance, and I think he is coming around........I think he reads this forum and has a handle that none of us knows. I know you have read this Jeff, because the majority rules, and you have seen that we are onto you! From now on, understand that your viewer's are primarily interested in hearing the finer points of OUR boys......not the luckiness they have.....and the great things the opposing forces have to offer! After all, who that watches our FIGHTING SIOUX really cares that Peter Sejna or Grant Putolny can handle the puck.....I think we'd all rather the fact that THEY get lucky once in a while as well................

After all....we come from UND, and as RALPH always said, and I quote......" THE HARDER I WORK THE LUCKIER I GET"......Jeff, think about this in the future....as you did on Friday night! I have eaten as much crow as I can for the weekend. However, I'm hoping that the fairness continues!

Okay, I will eat crow tonight.....but not the whole bird! I have to say, Jeff had a little fairness in his 'tone' as the game progressed. I have to confess, I actually listened to the game to give him another chance. I have listened to Hennesey the last few games, just for a change of attitude.....mine, no one else's. I wanted to see if I could distinguish between my perspective of the game, and the announcer's comments during the action. Well, I have to say that Hennesey pounds the he-double hockey stick out of Bredahl, but he did a good job on Friday night......in my opinion! He had his moments, where I wanted my son to turn the volume down and turn the radio on, but I fought off the temptation to see what I could learn about myself.

I have to say he did better, but he has along way to go to tickle my fancy. I'm no hockey star, but I enjoy the game with if the commentator shares my views///or goes completely against them (thanks Woog). But, I am trying to give Jeff another chance, and I think he is coming around........I think he reads this forum and has a handle that none of us knows. I know you have read this Jeff, because the majority rules, and you have seen that we are onto you! From now on, understand that your viewer's are primarily interested in hearing the finer points of OUR boys......not the luckiness they have.....and the great things the opposing forces have to offer! After all, who that watches our FIGHTING SIOUX really cares that Peter Sejna or Grant Putolny can handle the puck.....I think we'd all rather the fact that THEY get lucky once in a while as well................

After all....we come from UND, and as RALPH always said, and I quote......" THE HARDER I WORK THE LUCKIER I GET"......Jeff, think about this in the future....as you did on Friday night! I have eaten as much crow as I can for the weekend. However, I'm hoping that the fairness continues!

I have to wade in here because I know Jeff well and he is a friend. Its one thing to rip him because you do not think he is a good announcer. That is fair criticism. Jeff is very knowledgeable about the game but does not have the flair of Tim Hennessy. However, to rip him because he is too negative about the Sioux is off the mark. Jeff bleeds green, but Pat Sweeney constantly reminds him that they need to be "neutral", not homers like Ed Schultz or the Gophers announcers. As a result, Jeff tries to call the game objectively.

So it wasn't the beer/Mike's and pizza I had that night! ???

I thought I was gonna be ill. ;) And then I was after the game. ;)

To reply to skateshattrick, I can only say this. If I were a friend to Jeff, I would tell him everything that I have written on this website. I would love to see him keep his job and keep giving us play-by-play, but to do it in a way that has a little more home-team enthusiasm. I think he DOES have a great knowledge of the game. Yes, I made a comment about his career at UND and the lack of points, but I have seen many come and go that make a HUGE influence on the ice that don't tally the points....Unsung heroes, if you will(I didn't follow Jeff's era well enough, I feel sorry for that now!!!). However, I just like to listen/watch the game hearing the good things our boys are doing....have done.....will do....can contribute to the game. I believe that on a losing night, in a losing series, with my VERY limited knowledge of what it takes to announce a game, I could say more positive things and keep an audience more attuned to my voice/opinions of the game than Jeff is currently doing.

I admit, the guy has a lot of good qualities, a lot, but at some point the whole ideal of "HOMER-ISM" HAS to kick in. Sure, Pat Sweeney does a good job of being fair, but he's an Icon in North Dakota. I guess it's a little easier for ME to pick out Jeff's weaker points. I'll tell ya what, skateshattrick, I will take a closer note to what Pat has to say, and see your perspective. I'm guessing that his mentoring style has a lot to do with Jeff's comments, but I also can hear by Pat's voice (on occasion), that Jeff jumps to the other side a little too much at times. Pat has taken a moment of silence on a few occasions when Jeff makes a sly comment giving gratuity to out opponent, and then almost back tracks in the meantime. Maybe this is Pat's way of making it a one-man show. I will give you the merit to follow both announcer's more closely. I feel that these comments will show my fairness to Jeff, and I feel that I owe it to him since I started this topic. That's all I have for now!