SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux "Skill Advantage?"

Snake

Drew Stafford, in his post-game comments yesterday, made a comment to the effect that despite the lack of skill of the Harvard D, they were able to hang with the Sioux because they worked extremely hard. That particular type of comment disturbs me, and unfortunately it's not the only time I've heard these types of statements. Tim Hennessey frequently makes comments - sometimes to the opposing coaches themselves - that the other team isn't as skilled as the Sioux and that they need to make up for it in other ways.

The fact that Stafford & others make comments about the other team's skill level (or lack thereof) makes me wonder if the players believe the hype. Granted, UND is a perrenial power and the talent level of the recruits we get is top-notch, but it seems as though there's a certain arrogance that suggests they just have to show up and their "skills and talent" will get them through. This may work at the Bantam or HS level, but not at the D-I college level.

To be a top-notch team at this level, you need to apply your talent, not just stockpile it.

I'm curious to hear your guys' thoughts on this, and if anyone else out there notices this.

Thanks -

I certainly agree with you Snake, are some of these players actually thinking that because there are all these first round talents on the team that opposing teams are intimidated by it and will roll over and give the game away. These team needs less premaddona's like Stafford and more lunch pail, money goal players like Scorin Goren or Matt Henderson. If Stafford exerted half the energy he displayed at the WJC and showed some heart maybe this team would start winning these. Great to see you on SS, Have a great New Year Snake!!! :lol:

I agree that sometimes this team comes out and just expects that talent will win. There is a ton of hype involved with their recruitment and some act as though winning a game will just happen because they put on the skates and the other "lesser talented" team will shrink or something.

The new coach of the Colorado football team, Dan Hanskins, had a quote that I think fits this team:

"You lose with potential; you win with achievers."

Sounds applicable to this team??

Harvard certainly worked very hard both nights. I was not impressed with anything but their work ethic. Tyler Magura got a lot of hype because he's from Fargo and I watched him closely when he was on the ice. OK player, not Sioux material. Alexander, Foyt, Martens, Walski were given the opportunity to play and worked their butts off when on the ice and I believe were more skillful players then most of the Harvard players. On the other hand, Harvards goalie was awesome-skillful and hardworking.

The problem as I see it is that while the Sioux have the skill, many times they don't seem to be putting 100% into their game; I see this less in the freshman. Other times there appears to be a lack of communication on the ice; passes are made and no one's there, hits aren't taken, playing with the puck for what seems hours, etc.

These are just observations from an ex-hockey mom.

I agree that sometimes this team comes out and just expects that talent will win. There is a ton of hype involved with their recruitment and some act as though winning a game will just happen because they put on the skates and the other "lesser talented" team will shrink or something.

The new coach of the Colorado football team, Dan Hanskins, had a quote that I think fits this team:

"You lose with potential; you win with achievers."

Sounds applicable to this team??

Great quote, very apllicable to this team. The last two UND NCAA titles were one with over acheivers!

Drew Stafford, in his post-game comments yesterday, made a comment to the effect that despite the lack of skill of the Harvard D, they were able to hang with the Sioux because they worked extremely hard. That particular type of comment disturbs me, and unfortunately it's not the only time I've heard these types of statements. Tim Hennessey frequently makes comments - sometimes to the opposing coaches themselves - that the other team isn't as skilled as the Sioux and that they need to make up for it in other ways.

The fact that Stafford & others make comments about the other team's skill level (or lack thereof) makes me wonder if the players believe the hype. Granted, UND is a perrenial power and the talent level of the recruits we get is top-notch, but it seems as though there's a certain arrogance that suggests they just have to show up and their "skills and talent" will get them through. This may work at the Bantam or HS level, but not at the D-I college level.

To be a top-notch team at this level, you need to apply your talent, not just stockpile it.

I'm curious to hear your guys' thoughts on this, and if anyone else out there notices this.

Thanks -

I think the boys just need to play and stop reading their press clippings. The opposing teams are not going to be impressed with all of their accomplishments.

I was critical of Stafford's effort after the Minnesota series. But to be fair, I thought Stafford worked his butt off both nights of the Harvard games. I can't say the same about some of the other guys, but I thought Stafford worked hard both nights.

I was critical of Stafford's effort after the Minnesota series. But to be fair, I thought Stafford worked his butt off both nights of the Harvard games. I can't say the same about some of the other guys, but I thought Stafford worked hard both nights.

I only saw Friday's game, and I would agree Stafford's effort was there. The intent of my post was to shed light on the fact that even though the Sioux (and others who follow them) think they have more skill than their opponents, it's hard work that turns skillful teams into successful ones. Stafford just happened to be the most recent player or broadcaster to mention this supposed "skill advantage," so he was unfortunately singled-out in my post, even after a great game.

Goon made mention of this team's accomplishments, and how the opposing teams aren't going to be impressed by them. The list of INDIVIDUAL accomplishments may be impressive, but this TEAM of mostly freshmen and sophomores only has a 5th place WCHA finish, a 3rd place Final-Five finish, and an unlikely run to the title game to their credit - mainly due to the large senior class last year. Right now they're looking at the same WCHA spot and who knows what's in store for the playoffs.

On the bright side (not to sound like Mr. Negativity) the coaching staff is determined to get all they can out of these guys. I've been impressed by how they've handled the ups-and-downs that come with such a young team. It's difficult, but I try to keep in perspective that these guys are just kids, and they've got a lot going on in their lives outside of hockey. Hopefully the second-half will bring more stability for the young players.

Several comments on this:

Need to crash the net more: Well, yeah, we do. Especially since two players that routinely crash the net (Oshie and Toews) were not there this past series.

SIoux-cia- Replace Walski with Martens. I don't think our third string goaltender touched the ice all weekend.

Believing the hype... I'm going to tenatively agrere with this. I think they do believe that they are one of the most talented teams on the ice. I also think they believe in the biggest detractor when they step on the ice as well (too young/inexperienced). I hope I am wrong.

I really think we are lacking two very important aspects:

1. Physicality on D. This is improving and already well talked about.

2. A shooter on Offense. I'm talking about a guy who is going to shoot more than pass. Someone like Nick Fuher on D was. It's almost like they are going "You shoot it." "No, you shoot it." etc etc.

I'll say this, right now we are looking exactly like what the preseason write ups have told us. A well talented team with very little for experience. Will be dangerous once they turn the corner. I'm just hoping that the corner is soon to be turned.

SIoux-cia- Replace Walski with Martens. I don't think our third string goaltender touched the ice all weekend.

Technically he didn't touch the ice, but during Friday's warmups Porter accidently took Walski's skates out from under him and he hit the ice fairly hard and crashed into the boards. It looked like he got a good chuckle out of it. :lol:

I certainly agree with you Snake, are some of these players actually thinking that because there are all these first round talents on the team that opposing teams are intimidated by it and will roll over and give the game away. These team needs less premaddona's like Stafford and more lunch pail, money goal players like Scorin Goren or Matt Henderson. If Stafford exerted half the energy he displayed at the WJC and showed some heart maybe this team would start winning these. Great to see you on SS, Have a great New Year Snake!!! :lol:

Stafford a pre-madonna?? First I ever heard that used to describe him! You need to check the stats regarding his "effort" level. Announcers before Sat.'s game on ESPNU stated, out of 29 shots, Stafford had 10. Sounds like heart & effort to me. If you'd ever played competitive hockey in your life, you'd realize that sometimes the puck just doesn't go in--you need a little puck luck sometimes.

All you naysayers out there are rearing your ugly little heads once again, just like last year. Then you had to eat crow at the end of the year, didn't you? Try spreading some encouragement around and support, instead of barbs and ridicule towards these young guys ( and I don't just mean the Freshmen). Win or lose, the Sioux, for the most part, put on a great night of entertainment at a cheap price!

Stafford I thought at the beginning of the season was a little flat and not showing the consistancy that he can - now with the first half of the season over, I am very much impressed with his effort and his so called 'Puck Luck' - hate to say it he doesn't really need much luck, the skill makes up for it!

The problems with the team are not so much individual but more team related. Each line seems to relay on a go to guy or go to play to score goals. Meaning the team is relaying on certain players to carry the team through the game, some nights it's Parise others Spirko or Stafford. UND's success will only come when each player thinks they can score the next goal. When the third and forth lines are netting one or two a game or drawing penalties by crashing the net; then the team will have success. I really think the person(s) to do this is Erik Fabian or Mike Prpich - as it was last year. For the most part I think the Sioux are doing just fine, being in 5th place (WCHA) and in the top 10 in the nation is good stuff. Most importantly, it leaves the door open for post season play .

Hey - Stafford's okay! - sometimes I think he tries a little TOO HARD and the puck ends up not bouncing (or shooting) his way. He's got great talent - it's just a matter of finding a balance. REMEMBER - Scorin'GOREN wasn't a HUGE FORCE until his final season - and he just happened to do it in a season when UND made a run to the NC!

The '97 team were big underdogs who found a way...the '00 team had talent that just gelled at the end of the season...the '05 team were also a bunch of underdogs that gelled at the end of the season and fell just short....the 2nd half of this season is just starting...I SAY just BELIEVE and GO SIOUX!!!

I think may all be a case of some people expecting this team to win every game they play. Sure, there are some games that they SHOULD win, such as those against Tech, Mankato, Bemidji, and Harvard, but it doesn't always work that they.

If you look at the standings, they fall into 5th right now. But look at games played: 12. This compared to 14 games for 8 of the other 9 teams. Now, say they can win those other 2. That would put them at 16 points and 4th place. Only two points back of 3rd and 3 points back of 2nd.

My point being that this team isn't as far back as some of you seem to think. Or at least the way you are talking. Winning these next two in Anchorage is almost necessary, and at least a split in Minneapolis the following weekend. Unless Wisconsin completely collapses, which they've been known to do, I think 1st place might be out of reach, but nothing else is. Second place is fully reachable.

If anybody has even thought about giving up on this season so far, which I know people have, they should get their head examined and actually start paying attention to where the league sits right now.

The fact remains that we need full effort from everybody on the team for the entire second half of the season.

(Sorry for slightly rambling and drifting from one topic to the next, and back, a couple times. Just something I had to say.)

Stafford I thought at the beginning of the season was a little flat and not showing the consistancy that he can - now with the first half of the season over, I am very much impressed with his effort and his so called 'Puck Luck' - hate to say it he doesn't really need much luck, the skill makes up for it!

The problems with the team are not so much individual but more team related. Each line seems to relay on a go to guy or go to play to score goals. Meaning the team is relaying on certain players to carry the team through the game, some nights it's Parise others Spirko or Stafford. UND's success will only come when each player thinks they can score the next goal. When the third and forth lines are netting one or two a game or drawing penalties by crashing the net; then the team will have success. I really think the person(s) to do this is Erik Fabian or Mike Prpich - as it was last year. For the most part I think the Sioux are doing just fine, being in 5th place (WCHA) and in the top 10 in the nation is good stuff. Most importantly, it leaves the door open for post season play .

I think you're right on about the team play.

I didn't mean to single-out Stafford, I was merely using his comments to set up the context of my overall thoughts. Listening to Sioux players and media types make comments about the other team being "less skilled" makes me cringe because I feel it is extremely disrespectful. No wonder everyone comes in here trying to stick it to us! Hard work and, as #1 Sioux Fan has stated, teamwork is the great equalizer. Skill will separate two teams when everything else is equal.

To add to #1 Sioux Fan's point - this team will be extremely exciting when they're forcing the opponent to "pick their poison!"

Unless you are just playing a joke on me, can we start using "prima donna" from now on?

You're absolutely right, dagies,-the word is spelled "prima donna"--I'm a CPA, so Math's my thing, not English. And I'm flattered that some think I'm a pissed off "former or current Sioux player." I used to play in my high school days, but due to an injury, have hung up my skates. I do have a 10 year old son who plays and has gone to the Sioux hockey camps for the last couple of summers--have met many of the players & have never gotten the impression they think they're hot stuff. They have always been courteous, humble, & patient with the kids. All i'm saying is they can only get better with "fan" encouragement, but may be discouraged with the animosity that's shown sometimes. B,t.w., I highly doubt the players read this stuff anyway--at least I hope not!

I had a class with Matt Jones last year, and I sat right next to him.

It was a computer-related class, so we all had PCs to play around on while the instructor was 'teaching'. ;)

Anyway, I noticed that Matt was a frequent visitor to both SS.com and USCHO. I never saw him post, but he certainly viewed the threads.

I'm sure he's not the only one on the Sioux that surfs those websites. :lol:

I had a class with Matt Jones last year, and I sat right next to him.

It was a computer-related class, so we all had PCs to play around on while the instructor was 'teaching'. ;)

Anyway, I noticed that Matt was a frequent visitor to both SS.com and USCHO. I never saw him post, but he certainly viewed the threads.

I'm sure he's not the only one on the Sioux that surfs those websites. :lol:

I have been told that a few of them look at the sites, from a former player. I also know this is fact because a couple of years back one of them called me on my analysis of on one of the goaltenders.

You're absolutely right, dagies,-the word is spelled "prima donna"--I'm a CPA, so Math's my thing, not English. And I'm flattered that some think I'm a pissed off "former or current Sioux player." I used to play in my high school days, but due to an injury, have hung up my skates. I do have a 10 year old son who plays and has gone to the Sioux hockey camps for the last couple of summers--have met many of the players & have never gotten the impression they think they're hot stuff. They have always been courteous, humble, & patient with the kids. All i'm saying is they can only get better with "fan" encouragement, but may be discouraged with the animosity that's shown sometimes. B,t.w., I highly doubt the players read this stuff anyway--at least I hope not!

I wasn't trying to pick on you. It seems that's widely used around here. That was a general memo. Not that I'm great with spelling or use of the english language. But like "borrow" vs "lend", the "pre-madonna" usage was like fingernails on a chalkboard.