SiouxSports.com Forum

Nightline Tonight

BigGreyAnt41

Right near the end of the MNF game, they showed a promo for Nightline tonight. They said they are doing a story on the nickname issue, and they focused the promo on The Fighting Sioux.

I figured some of you may be interested.

Saw that as well...Not feeling too good about this, hope I'm wrong...If they start out by talking about Engelstad's Vegas party a few years ago, I'm guessing it won't be too evenhanded...

every Sioux fan knows where Ralph's heart was! IN GRAND FORKS - AT UND!! The place where he went to school - played hockey - and moved ON from there! I didn't see Nightline tonight but if that was the pretext for their "nickname" story - SCREW THEM! (Let me know when Ralph's estate pays for a new arena in Berlin ;) )

I'm SO SICK of the Ralph=Nazi crap! (and thats EXACTLY what it is!)

Stayed up for that pathetic little puke Jeremy Schaap to do a hit piece filled with lies and half truths. Whatever happened to journalism? There is one person rolling in his grave tonight.......Dick Schaap has to be embarrassed and might want to check the paternity on his alleged puke of a son

Just saw the brief "Nightline" segment on the name. Done by Jeremy Schaap. Finished by saying (I'm paraphrasing) in spite of inflation, $110 million can buy anything. Not too positive. Said that Englestad's idea of a "good time" was dressing as a Nazi and throwing a birthday for Hitler.

How often had he done this?

Anyway, it's interesting to note that in the recent past Jeremy Schaap also had a story featuring the clearly insane Bobby Fischer who, it turns out, is a frothing anti-Semite. The late Dick Schaap and Fischer were friends at one time.

I sent ESPNs Outside the Lines an email (couldn't find pussboys email address) and commended him for his intense research...I also told him Bobby Knight was right about him, he's nowhere near the class of journalist as his father...What a f___ing tool.

Jeremy Schaap is a disgrace, obviously without his father he'd have no career at all. When Pete Rose was named to the All Century Major League Baseball team a few years back, it was Jeremy who put a negative spin on a great moment for baseball. The crowd gave Pete the loudest oviation of the night, when he was coming off the field Jeremy decides to ask the dumbest questions you could possibly ask. It would be nice to get some Fighting Sioux fans, Pete Rose and Bobby Knight together for a Nightline segment on Jeremy Schaap. Actually it would be great to get them all together @ a drinking establishment in Grand Forks this weekend.

Jeremy Schaap is a disgrace, obviously without his father he'd have no career at all. When Pete Rose was named to the All Century Major League Baseball team a few years back, it was Jeremy who put a negative spin on a great moment for baseball. The crowd gave Pete the loudest oviation of the night, when he was coming off the field Jeremy decides to ask the dumbest questions you could possibly ask. It would be nice to get some Fighting Sioux fans, Pete Rose and Bobby Knight together for a Nightline segment on Jeremy Schaap. Actually it would be great to get them all together @ a drinking establishment in Grand Forks this weekend.

Sorry to rain on your parade, LB#11, but you need to get your facts straight on this one. The reporter involved in the Pete Rose incident was Jim Gray, NOT Jeremy Schaap.

I really wish there was a video of the report. I would love to see it.

If the report was about what everyone says it was about it's unreal. It makes no difference what Ralph did in his own spare time. If he wants to throw a Hitler party that's his business. If you don't like it then don't go to it. It's a free country.

If Ralph told ABC that they could have $110 million of his money do you really think they would say no. I seriously doubt it. I didn't hear anything about Jeremy Schaap coming to Grand Forks to even look at the Engelstad Arena. He probably stayed in his cubicle and searched on google for "Ralph Engelstad." Bobby Knight was absolutely correct when he said to Schaap, "You got a long way to go to be as good as your dad, you better keep that in mind." He is a terrible reporter.

I really wish there was a video of the report. I would love to see it.

If the report was about what everyone says it was about it's unreal. It makes no difference what Ralph did in his own spare time. If he wants to throw a Hitler party that's his business. If you don't like it then don't go to it. It's a free country.

If Ralph told ABC that they could have $110 million of his money do you really think they would say no. I seriously doubt it. I didn't hear anything about Jeremy Schaap coming to Grand Forks to even look at the Engelstad Arena. He probably stayed in his cubicle and searched on google for "Ralph Engelstad." Bobby Knight was absolutely correct when he said to Schaap, "You got a long way to go to be as good as your dad, you better keep that in mind." He is a terrible reporter.

That is a slap in the face to terrible reporters everywhere.

Sorry to rain on your parade, LB#11, but you need to get your facts straight on this one. The reporter involved in the Pete Rose incident was Jim Gray, NOT Jeremy Schaap.

My bad...thanks MafiaMan. Maybe I could get a job with Nightline...where facts don't seem to be that important.

Edited by LB#11

My bad...thanks MafiaMan. Maybe I could get a job with Nightline...facts don't seem to be that important.

Wasn't trying to be overly critical as I'm certainly no fan of Jeremy Schaap either, but it's important to have the facts straight when taking a shot at someone, lest you lose credibility yourself. I do remember the Pete Rose incident w/Jim Gray and while I detest Rose for betting on baseball and then lying about it, Jim Gray trying to wrestle a confession out of Pete left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. Of course, Pete did fess up later and is now paying the price for years of lying about it when he actually did bet on baseball. Had I been in Fenway Park that night, I'd have booed him, not cheered him.

Wasn't trying to be overly critical as I'm certainly no fan of Jeremy Schaap either, but it's important to have the facts straight when taking a shot at someone, lest you lose credibility yourself. I do remember the Pete Rose incident w/Jim Gray and while I detest Rose for betting on baseball and then lying about it, Jim Gray trying to wrestle a confession out of Pete left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. Of course, Pete did fess up later and is now paying the price for years of lying about it when he actually did bet on baseball. Had I been in Fenway Park that night, I'd have booed him, not cheered him.

I agree with the credibility part about myself... I should check my facts before posting. I have a different point of view on Pete Rose...I grew up in the 70's and thought Pete was a great example of how to play the game. However, he wasn't a very good example later in life as everyone knows. That night at Fenway I would have cheered him for what he did as a baseball player, not sure if that's right or wrong, just my personal opinion.

I agree with the credibility part about myself... I should check my facts before posting. I have a different point of view on Pete Rose...I grew up in the 70's and thought Pete was a great example of how to play the game. However, he wasn't a very good example later in life as everyone knows. That night at Fenway I would have cheered him for what he did as a baseball player, not sure if that's right or wrong, just my personal opinion.

I, too, was a fan of Pete Rose, "Charlie Hustle," breaking Ty Cobb's hit record, and everything else about Pete. The problem is that Pete Rose knew the cardinal sin of baseball was betting on baseball and not only did he ignore it, he then lied about it for years before quietly admitting his sin. Love him or hate him, he does inspire feelings on both sides of the issue. Did you happen to watch ESPN's "Pete Rose Mock Trial" a few years ago where attorneys lobbied on behalf of Pete and against Pete and a jury decided his fate? Good stuff.