SiouxSports.com Forum

This won't help...

SiouxMeNow

2.8? Hell, ANY color skin won't get you in with that gpa. Why do you insist that just because we are natives we automatically have lower grades than YOU? These comments are the ignorance we face everyday, even by people who don't know they are offending someone. If you think its really this easy, go up to INMED and have a chat w/ the director, I'm sure he will set you straight.

As for INMED itself, if it didn't exist, there would be 25% less Native doctors, just because the opportunities don't exist everywhere for my people that they do for the "majority". You may whine about the 7 INMED students, but what about the 50, primarily CAUCASIAN, students? yeah, that's what I thought.

There is less of a percentage of Natives going to this University than the percentage of Natives that make up this state, on top of that I would guess that at least 1/2 of those natives (like myself) aren't even from this state, yet more of a percentage of White people make up this school than the percentage of White people that live in this state....hmmmm....what's going on there?

The problem is that it is not supposed to be about what you look like (Skin Tone, Hairstyle, Gender, or any other physical charecteristic). It should be about the quality of work a person does, no matter what the persons ethnic background. In the process of the US government trying to push some people forward, we end up dragging others down. It's the same thing that goes on with the "No child left behind" B.S. Itstead of pushing people to be better and excel, we provide lower standards which lower the credibility of the entire system.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to state facts, also remember that a majority of the Native Programs on campus are against the use of the mascot,

Thats really shocking, considering the extreme left has taking over the majority of college campuses across the country. I don't think it matters what the program is, the professors who never had a real job in their life seem to have made this a cause to fit in between teaching 3 hours a week and coffee breaks.

I've been away for quite some time only to respond tonight.

The University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux. If any of you Native Americans are current of former athletes or alumnists of UND, this name has a special meaning. I'm also including every other race in this forum.

One simple statement.

Kwityourbitchin. That's Ojibwe I think.

UND has taken a positive role over the years to educate "our people" or as GK states "my people" into higher education. Simply thank them. If it wasn't for UND where would all the N.A. go? Go to the tribal colleges and stay comfortable all their life and not mainstream into society.

If the answer is yes ... shame on you. I went to white colleges during my collegiate career and never once did a person mock me because I'm Native American.

I want my (4) children to all venture the world and one them is doing that now attending UND. He loves the university and UND loves him.

"Can't we all just get along."

A statement that will live on forever.

I'm sick and tired of the statements made by GK and his followers. Wake up and smell the coffee that we live in a cynical society and you must face it with vigor and passion. Quit making "our people" sound like idiots with laced, perpetual cries of racism. Quit crying over the past and make a difference in the future.

Some people don't like Native Americans. So what. Don't place blame on the campus of UND over a few racist biggots. Poll every student on this campus and they'll win you over GF.

You're a sad spokesperson for "your people". Your people don't belong in the same sentence as "my people" who are making this campus, state and country of the United States proud.

I wish everyone a Happy Holiday season and GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!! GO TEAM USA!!!

The University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux. If any of you Native Americans are current of former athletes or alumnists of UND, this name has a special meaning. I'm also including every other race in this forum.

One simple statement.

UND has taken a positive role over the years to educate "our people" or as GK states "my people" into higher education. Simply thank them. If it wasn't for UND where would all the N.A. go? Go to the tribal colleges and stay comfortable all their life and not mainstream into society.

If the answer is yes ... shame on you. I went to white colleges during my collegiate career and never once did a person mock me because I'm Native American.

I want my (4) children to all venture the world and one them is doing that now attending UND. He loves the university and UND loves him.

I'm sick and tired of the statements made by GK and his followers. Wake up and smell the coffee that we live in a cynical society and you must face it with vigor and passion. Quit making "our people" sound like idiots with laced, perpetual cries of racism. Quit crying over the past and make a difference in the future.

Some people don't like Native Americans. So what. Don't place blame on the campus of UND over a few racist biggots. Poll every student on this campus and they'll win you over GF.

You're a sad spokesperson for "your people". Your people don't belong in the same sentence as "my people" who are making this campus, state and country of the United States proud.

Well said, Yttrium. Thank you for all of your contributions to this board, whether about the Name or not.

One simple statement.

Yeah, I'd like to see a picture of you. I bet you don't even look like a Native, so I can assume most people you met didn't even know your Native. I wonder how that feels, to be able to "blend" in so well. You will never know the problems faced here on this campus by the Native students, because even if you have enough blood to be an honorary member of some Chippewa tribe, you don't look the part and because of that you will never EVER feel what we do. Hecetu.

What I think is interesting how GK can use the color of one's skin, facial features, etc. to define whether or not he is really a true native American. It's pretty obvious that over the next several generations the native American population will become more and more integrated into the American society. Currently, the reservations actually do a good job of maintaining cultural sovereignty; but this is likely only a small inhibiter to change. I guess the point I'm making is that GK's descendents, somewhere down the road, will likely look similar to Yttrium or myself. (I don't know what Yttrium looks like. :D )

This whole argument is going to seem rather silly in a couple generations. Some items which some people think are extremely important right now will fade if a large enough number of people do not care enough to carry those ideas on. Then we'll all say, "Why do we care about this?... Oh, nevermind... GO SIOUX!"

Yeah, I'd like to see a picture of you. I bet you don't even look like a Native, so I can assume most people you met didn't even know your Native. I wonder how that feels, to be able to "blend" in so well. You will never know the problems faced here on this campus by the Native students, because even if you have enough blood to be an honorary member of some Chippewa tribe, you don't look the part and because of that you will never EVER feel what we do. Hecetu.

Really breaking down the racial barriers, aren't you.

Yeah, I'd like to see a picture of you. I bet you don't even look like a Native, so I can assume most people you met didn't even know your Native.

Words of the new North Dakota "Klan". Sorry sight.

Funny how my Indian, Mexican, and Haweiian friends are sometimes confused for brothers, since they look alot alike and they are all "Pure Bloods" (and not by just white people, so you can leave that right out GK).

Kracker,

I had been glad to see you back on board. I was worried you defected to St. Cloud State or some other PC school. Sioux MD said you must have been studying for finals. I hope they went well.

I have been entertained and educated by your postings. This attack on another human being is an example of your flawed thinking and hateful philosophy.

I took the time to meet the poster known as Yttrium. He is very much Native American and seems proud of that fact. He stands about 6' 4'' and must weigh about 235lbs. Looks like a middle linebacker. I suspect he is very much the " Warrior" you claim to be. I have learned enough about him to know he helps his people, but also helps other people. He is very involved in educating our youth as well as Native American youth. He is very different from you in that he does not try to polarize our Native American youth. His philosophy is so much healthier than yours. You might do well to listen to him. If you are going to help your people and work with others, you will make a lot more progress if you use a little more diplomacy.

Ira

He stands about 6' 4'' and must weigh about 235lbs. Looks like a middle linebacker.

Ouch! Yttrium I hope I have said anything to make you mad ;) If so, I hope I don't might you in a dark alley, I really don't want my ass kicked :D:D .

Otherwise, I really do hope to meet you someday, your words and messages here have been very insightful (and I am not referring to your stance on the name change)

Never, well, not until the heads get ripped out anyways.

I may be wrong on this, but even if UND changes its name. The ralph won't need to remove the logo. It will have to change the "University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux" to whatever. But since it is not part of the univeristy itself, the indian head "decor" won't represent the University, won't have to be removed and will have no bearing on the University playing there.

GK, you come off as sounding as if you are ashamed of your heritage. Wishing that you could blend in is no solution to anyone's problems.

I may be wrong on this, but even if UND changes its name. The ralph won't need to remove the logo. It will have to change the "University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux" to whatever. But since it is not part of the univeristy itself, the indian head "decor" won't represent the University, won't have to be removed and will have no bearing on the University playing there.

I think you're right. But regardless of who legally owns the Ralph, the NCAA won't hold any playoff events there as long as the logos remain.

The opponents of the nickname can try as hard as they want, but they will never erase 80 years of University of North Dakota Sioux history. Even if the name changes you still can't erase 80 years of history. UND could say they are changing the name, but keeping the logos in the arena since the logo and name represent 80 years of history at UND.

I think you're right. But regardless of who legally owns the Ralph, the NCAA won't hold any playoff events there as long as the logos remain.

Thats the part that is confusing... Does that mean ANY arena anywhere can not host a NCAA sporting event as long as there is any artwork/decor/statues that are of Indians? Even if the teams that call that arena its home field, have no Indian connections in name or symbol.

OR does the Ralph get a double standard put on it because it "use to/is" the home field of a team that does/did have a "abusive/hostile" name

Seems like there are many sports arena, all over the country, that have some type of Indian display. Are they being boycotted by the NCAA also?

Much as GK claims to be a 'pure blood', he's not. None of us is pure anything except human. My dad, Mexican descent, was 6'7". Not very 'Mexican' of him to be so darn tall, yet going through the family tree found no evidence of any 'interloper'. My mother's family on the other hand has a little bit of everything, as evidenced by the blue eyed blonds, red heads, green eyed red heads, etc. Me thinks that ole Leif must have done a bit o' rapin' and pillaging south of the border. Visiting friends on the reservation, the same 'mix' is noted. Anyone claiming to be 100% anything other than human, is fooling only himself.

I'm proud of my heritage as my fellow posters are and equally proud that we have moved forward dispite the rapin' and pillaging done south of the border.

It's unfortunate that GK can't let go, let live, move on and move up.

The opponents of the nickname can try as hard as they want, but they will never erase 80 years of University of North Dakota Sioux history. Even if the name changes you still can't erase 80 years of history. UND could say they are changing the name, but keeping the logos in the arena since the logo and name represent 80 years of history at UND.

80 years of "sioux" history....lol, why not try 1000's of years of Sioux history. 80 years of ignorance, maybe, but not history.

Much as GK claims to be a 'pure blood', he's not. None of us is pure anything except human. My dad, Mexican descent, was 6'7". Not very 'Mexican' of him to be so darn tall, yet going through the family tree found no evidence of any 'interloper'. My mother's family on the other hand has a little bit of everything, as evidenced by the blue eyed blonds, red heads, green eyed red heads, etc. Me thinks that ole Leif must have done a bit o' rapin' and pillaging south of the border. Visiting friends on the reservation, the same 'mix' is noted. Anyone claiming to be 100% anything other than human, is fooling only himself.

I'm proud of my heritage as my fellow posters are and equally proud that we have moved forward dispite the rapin' and pillaging done south of the border.

It's unfortunate that GK can't let go, let live, move on and move up.

Did I say I was a pure blood? I never did, I can tell you I have more SIOUX blood than most of you in here. Maybe that's why your so offended by me, because I can prove where I came from. Not only that, but I also practice my Lakota beliefs. I wonder how many of you "Scandinavians" practice your language, religion, way of life......(aside from letfse....)

There is nothing wrong w/ my people (and I do say "my" because "our" wouldn't work in this group) being who they are. We are proud of the fact that we still practice our way of life. Maka sitomni, Lakol wicon kan ki otehikelo. But I'd rather have a difficult time than lose my identity all together like some have. Hecetu

g

80 years of "sioux" history....lol, why not try 1000's of years of Sioux history. 80 years of ignorance, maybe, but not history.

Exactly, who is try to erase the Sioux history. Not us, we are trying to insure it does become just history, but you are certianly doing a fair amount of damage to it. Thank God I know other Sioux, because if I had only you to go by I would say that all Sioux are racist xenophobes with a Napoleon complex.