SiouxSports.com Forum

This won't help...

SiouxMeNow

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bumped into this on an Ebay search for UND Fighting Sioux items...I'm thinking it doesn't really help the cause ???

Sioux "Protest" T-shirt on Ebay

No one with any integrity is going to buy this.

The 'cheese eating' part of the 'message' rings familiar. Sounds a lot like something that was posted in the bogus blog that was taken off the intenet a couple of weeks ago. I hope the creator of this poor taste T-shirt is not a member of the SiouxSports community. ???

No one with any integrity is going to buy this.

The 'cheese eating' part of the 'message' rings familiar. Sounds a lot like something that was posted in the bogus blog that was taken off the intenet a couple of weeks ago. I hope the creator of this poor taste T-shirt is not a member of the SiouxSports community. ???

good point about the "cheese-eating" part! You might be right. The seller is relatively new out of Kimball, Minnesota. I plan to lodge a complaint about it with Ebay so hopefully it will get pulled...

• 3 weeks later...
I can tell you truthfully that Native Americans receive the same amount of assistance for school as their white counterpart.

So a white person who has a 2.8 cumulative GPA has the same chance of getting into medical school as a Native American through INMED with the same GPA? Through specialized programs based on RACE, Native Americans are afforded more opportunities (aka assistance) than their white counterpart. These are facts, not misrepresentations and trivializations.

I'm sure this has already been responded to, but mako, we don't have a mascot. We have no one who dresses up like a Sioux tribal member and these tshirts were made by idiots who have no clue as to what is proper.

Your logic is tragically flawed because the same thing could be said about anything. Getting rid of a nickname isn't going to end racism. Racists are everywhere. They are racists even among Native Americans. HOWEVER, should we get rid of everything that someone could remotely find offensive just because someone might? We'd be paralysed as a culture!

I can see it now! Irving Berlin's "(I'm dreaming of a) White Christmas" gets banned because the term "White" is derrogatory towards non-whites. I mean, comon! A White Christmas? What's wrong with celebrating Christmas in the Black culture?

The "we don't want your honor" is such a warped phrase because, using the same rationale, Irving Berlin's song I just mentioned would be doubly banned because Irving Berlin is Jewish and how could a Jew sing a Christmas song?

UND has no mascot and UND isn't racist. UND does FAR more for Native Americans than ANY college that is NOT a tribal college in the tri state area and probably the region!

But that, to you, doesn't matter. You let a T-shirt become the attribute that describes an institution and the thousands of people that attend and have attended it rather than judging what the institution does, sanctions, and acts towards your people. How sad.

Weren't "mako"'s posts on this and the other thread posted before on these boards, probably between November 4 and November 22? They seem too familiar to me.

Yes, they were. Looks like the 'crash' may have had an affect on mako's 'joined' date. It's listed as yesterday.

• 3 weeks later...

So a white person who has a 2.8 cumulative GPA has the same chance of getting into medical school as a Native American through INMED with the same GPA? Through specialized programs based on RACE, Native Americans are afforded more opportunities (aka assistance) than their white counterpart. These are facts, not misrepresentations and trivializations.

2.8? Hell, ANY color skin won't get you in with that gpa. Why do you insist that just because we are natives we automatically have lower grades than YOU? These comments are the ignorance we face everyday, even by people who don't know they are offending someone. If you think its really this easy, go up to INMED and have a chat w/ the director, I'm sure he will set you straight.

As for INMED itself, if it didn't exist, there would be 25% less Native doctors, just because the opportunities don't exist everywhere for my people that they do for the "majority". You may whine about the 7 INMED students, but what about the 50, primarily CAUCASIAN, students? yeah, that's what I thought.

There is less of a percentage of Natives going to this University than the percentage of Natives that make up this state, on top of that I would guess that at least 1/2 of those natives (like myself) aren't even from this state, yet more of a percentage of White people make up this school than the percentage of White people that live in this state....hmmmm....what's going on there?

There is less of a percentage of Natives going to this University than the percentage of Natives that make up this state, on top of that I would guess that at least 1/2 of those natives (like myself) aren't even from this state, yet more of a percentage of White people make up this school than the percentage of White people that live in this state....hmmmm....what's going on there?

UND is closer to having a represenative sample of American Indians attending it than any state-run university in the Dakotas. If you think UND is so bad, then try making your case to NDSU, SDSU and USD where American Indian enrollment is far lower. In fact, neither USD nor SDSU comes anywhere near having a representative sample of American Indian students enrolled at their schools.

But I know that because they have cartoon animals for mascots, they get a pass on educating Native Americans. Isn't it wonderful how that works?

UND is closer to having a represenative sample of American Indians attending it than any state-run university in the Dakotas. If you think UND is so bad, then try making your case to NDSU, SDSU and USD where American Indian enrollment is far lower. In fact, neither USD nor SDSU comes anywhere near having a representative sample of American Indian students enrolled at their schools.

But I know that because they have cartoon animals for mascots, they get a pass on educating Native Americans. Isn't it wonderful how that works?

Believe it or not, the rest of the world doesn't give a "rip" about mascots, and if it wasn't for one millionaire, UND would have been well on its way to burying this one.

If you want to state facts, also remember that a majority of the Native Programs on campus are against the use of the mascot, not to mention the Sioux tribes....in ND and in SD, are against "UND's Hostile and Abusive" logo.

Could this have anything to do with the lower high school graduation rates on reservations? If you have a lower percentage of a group that graduates high school, you have a lower percentage that are eligible to attend any institution of higher learning, including UND. Therefore your actual enrollment would probably be a lower percentage than the percentage of general population.