SiouxSports.com Forum

This won't help...

SiouxMeNow

because I can prove where I came from. Not only that, but I also practice my Lakota beliefs. I wonder how many of you "Scandinavians" practice your language, religion, way of life......(aside from letfse....)

There is nothing wrong w/ my people

You've repeated this 'know where I come from, practice my Lakota beliefs, speak the Lakota language, etc' ad nauseam. Your not the only one on this board to know where they come from, practice their own beliefs, speak their ancesteral lanquage, etc. But you are the only one who has made racist, derogatory remarks about people of other races, cultures, and ethnic backgrounds. I doubt this is the Lakota way. At least it's not for the Lakota Sioux I know. And like Bacardio, I'm so happy to know them and know that it's not Lakota Sioux who are racist bigots.

I don't know who your people are but I do know there is nothing wrong with the Lakota, Dakota, Nakota people.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I say I was a pure blood? I never did, I can tell you I have more SIOUX blood than most of you in here. Maybe that's why your so offended by me, because I can prove where I came from. Not only that, but I also practice my Lakota beliefs. I wonder how many of you "Scandinavians" practice your language, religion, way of life......(aside from letfse....)

There is nothing wrong w/ my people (and I do say "my" because "our" wouldn't work in this group) being who they are. We are proud of the fact that we still practice our way of life. Maka sitomni, Lakol wicon kan ki otehikelo. But I'd rather have a difficult time than lose my identity all together like some have. Hecetu

Does going to a Norwegian language class, keeping in touch with relatives in Norway, hosting a Norwegian foreign exchange student, making Krumkaker, Lutefisk, Swedish Meatballs, Klubb, Flatbread, Fattigmann, Risgrot, Rommegrot, and Lefse! count? How about tracing my ancestory back to the 1300's? (My ancestors came to the US in the 1800s to avoid starving to death.) Oh, and how about doing Hardanger as a pasttime? It's just a part of me, but I don't put others down because they didn't learn those things from their parents.

I took a class to try to learn a little bit about the Native American culture through the local college here in Devils Lake a few years ago. Have you taken any classes to try to understand my culture?

I just don't get it. I am blonde, female, and Norwegian. Am I offended by the jokes and comments made about dumb blondes or dumb Norwegians? Not one bit. Could I be offended? Certainly, but thats not how I deal with things.

Besides teaching me how to cook good Norwegian food, and sing a few Norwegian songs; my dad taught me to look at the good side of things. A valuable asset in dealing with life. I hope I have passed that on to my children. Maybe you would do your children well to teach them the same. If you don't, then I really don't get it.

GK: I'm typing slower so you can understand what I'm saying

80 years of... University of North Dakota Sioux history. Was that slow enough for you.

Yeah, and the we are on the last chapter, soon we'll be starting a new chapter of UND history, one that doesn't offend a nation. Slower typing, it all doesn't matter until you hit the "add reply" button, but believe what you want.....lol.

Does going to a Norwegian language class, keeping in touch with relatives in Norway, hosting a Norwegian foreign exchange student, making Krumkaker, Lutefisk, Swedish Meatballs, Klubb, Flatbread, Fattigmann, Risgrot, Rommegrot, and Lefse! count? How about tracing my ancestory back to the 1300's? (My ancestors came to the US in the 1800s to avoid starving to death.) Oh, and how about doing Hardanger as a pasttime? It's just a part of me, but I don't put others down because they didn't learn those things from their parents.

I took a class to try to learn a little bit about the Native American culture through the local college here in Devils Lake a few years ago. Have you taken any classes to try to understand my culture?

I just don't get it. I am blonde, female, and Norwegian. Am I offended by the jokes and comments made about dumb blondes or dumb Norwegians? Not one bit. Could I be offended? Certainly, but thats not how I deal with things.

Besides teaching me how to cook good Norwegian food, and sing a few Norwegian songs; my dad taught me to look at the good side of things. A valuable asset in dealing with life. I hope I have passed that on to my children. Maybe you would do your children well to teach them the same. If you don't, then I really don't get it.

4 posts. Where were you in the beginning of this discussion? As for understand your culture, like I said before, I watch Viking games. I see that sex parties are a big part of your culture. My kids were asking what they were talking about on the news, but I told them that we'll talk about it when they are older because I think that part of your culture shouldn't be taught to them yet.

4 posts. Where were you in the beginning of this discussion? As for understand your culture, like I said before, I watch Viking games. I see that sex parties are a big part of your culture. My kids were asking what they were talking about on the news, but I told them that we'll talk about it when they are older because I think that part of your culture shouldn't be taught to them yet.

Does what you just posted here make any sense to you at all? What does the person I am have to do with the Vikings Football team?

Does what you just posted here make any sense to you at all? What does the person I am have to do with the Vikings Football team?

EXACTLY. Maybe someday it'll hit you that the Sioux are more than a Hockey/football team. Maybe someday you'll see that we Lakota/Dakota/Nakota do not want UND to use us as their mascot. I'm not betting on it, but maybe someday you'll figure it out. hecetu.

GK , I have sat by the side lines reading your posts for several months now. I really take pity on your views or perhaps it is just the way you express those views. You and I, as well as everyone else on this board has the right to post their own opinions. You constantly cross that line as if you speak for everyone in the Sioux Nation. I admire your determination in fighting for a cause but I cannot begin to comprehend your negativeness and your one-sided view of every piece of information presented to you. Your cause, IN MY OPINION, would be far more just if you were to expend that energy on real life issues as to how to make YOUR PEOPLE's life better in a meaningful way - you obviously have the energy and passion to do that.

One last thought. You put up for discussion the fact that you don't feel comfortable discussing with your child the antics of the MN Vikings. I, on the other hand, have a 5 year old boy that adores Fighting Sioux Hockey. As a result, I have spent a significant amount of time explaining to him the tradition of the Sioux Nation and I am not talking about the hockey tradition. As a result of those discussions, I guarantee you that he has the respect and understandng of your culture far more than he would have every had if the name was the University of North Dakota Flickertails.

EXACTLY. Maybe someday it'll hit you that the Sioux are more than a Hockey/football team. Maybe someday you'll see that we Lakota/Dakota/Nakota do not want UND to use us as their mascot. I'm not betting on it, but maybe someday you'll figure it out. hecetu.

Maybe day you will be able to distingish between "Vikings" and a football team. But since you are having problems with this whole concept let me help you out on a few present comparision.

1) Florida Marlins baseball team or player, not too be confused with a Blue Marlins, which is a fish. A Florida Marlin is a human, they have 2 legs, thumbs, and breath air.

2) Chicago Blackhawks hockey team or player not too be confused with the Blackhawk tribe of Indians, oh should have mentioned that. They [blackhawk tribe] do like that, they even gave the team the officail emblem. Though there are some very good Indian hockey players and coachs.

3) Detroit Pistons basketball team or players, not to be confused with pistons from and engine made in Detroit. That ones tough, but stick with me here. A Detroit piston player, like a Florida Marlins is a human being, a piston made detroit is made almost entirely out of metal, unless of course, he/she is human and their parents conceived them in Detroit, therefore they would be a Detroit piston made in Detroit.

4) King Kong, looks like a really big gorilla, but is really just a robot made for a movie. The director would like to you to confuse it with a real gorilla, but it not.

5) Minnesota Vikings football team, not to be confused with a modern or medieval time Norse Viking. While both are humans, the medieval Vikings had a stronger defense, especially up front, and a quicker offensive threat.

Maybe day you will be able to distingish between "Vikings" and a football team. But since you are having problems with this whole concept let me help you out on a few present comparision.

1) Florida Marlins baseball team or player, not too be confused with a Blue Marlins, which is a fish. A Florida Marlin is a human, they have 2 legs, thumbs, and breath air.

2) Chicago Blackhawks hockey team or player not too be confused with the Blackhawk tribe of Indians, oh should have mentioned that. They [blackhawk tribe] do like that, they even gave the team the officail emblem. Though there are some very good Indian hockey players and coachs.

3) Detroit Pistons basketball team or players, not to be confused with pistons from and engine made in Detroit. That ones tough, but stick with me here. A Detroit piston player, like a Florida Marlins is a human being, a piston made detroit is made almost entirely out of metal, unless of course, he/she is human and their parents conceived them in Detroit, therefore they would be a Detroit piston made in Detroit.

4) King Kong, looks like a really big gorilla, but is really just a robot made for a movie. The director would like to you to confuse it with a real gorilla, but it not.

5) Minnesota Vikings football team, not to be confused with a modern or medieval time Norse Viking. While both are humans, the medieval Vikings had a stronger defense, especially up front, and a quicker offensive threat.

To further clarify:

6) Fighting Sioux is a moniker or name used by the University of North Dakota athletic teams, not to be confused with the Sioux Indian tribes that are associated with the Upper Great Plains area. The Sioux Indian tribes are also known as Lakota, Dakota and Nakota. This can get real confusing because both are human beings and many from both groups are from North Dakota. A few Sioux Indians have also been members of the Fighting Sioux athletic teams. But the UND Fighting Sioux and the Sioux Indian tribes are 2 SEPARATE GROUPS.

Kracker,

That one is easy to figure out. What is hard to figure out is how you are not understanding others cultures and motives. It is baffling to me to think someone as smart as you seem to be, would go to a hockey game or football game at UND and think it has anything to do with defining who you or who your people are. That was never the purpose of the relationship between UND and your ancestors years ago.

You, and only you, define who you are and I would hope it goes way beyond being a Lakota. Not many of us look at you and think Native American, UND Fighting Sioux. We may notice you are Native American if you are making that part of your appearance but that is your choice. Your culture should be a big part of where you came from and can inflyuence who you are but I hope you are much more than just Lakota.

If you wish, I will go to a hockey game or football with you and you can point out what is so negative to your culture. I and others are willing to learn. Most of us are not willing to accept that God died and left you judge, jury and almighty Warrior representing the views of all right thinking Lakota.

You seem to want to insult everyone who doesn't agree with your way of thinking rather than to consider that maybe you haven't made your point clearly enough for others to understand.

Consider this. Crazy Horse was a great cavalry officer from what I have read. He was flexible enough to change his tactics if they weren't working. You would be well served to do the same.

Your buddy Ira.

You're nuts if you really think your example made your point. You know you don't really believe the behavior of the Vikings football team or its fans is at all relevant to what "real" Vikings were or are like. And all that proves is that you've been wrong all along when you try to make the claim that anyone cheering for or against Fighting Sioux sports teams is addressing "real" Sioux.

EXACTLY?? She asks what does the Viking Football team have to do with who she is and you say EXACTLY?

What do the Fighting Sioux athletic teams have to do with who you are? EXACTLY.

Edited by Sioux-cia

Did I say I was a pure blood? I never did, I can tell you I have more SIOUX blood than most of you in here. Maybe that's why your so offended by me, because I can prove where I came from. Not only that, but I also practice my Lakota beliefs. I wonder how many of you "Scandinavians" practice your language, religion, way of life......(aside from letfse....)

There is nothing wrong w/ my people (and I do say "my" because "our" wouldn't work in this group) being who they are. We are proud of the fact that we still practice our way of life. Maka sitomni, Lakol wicon kan ki otehikelo. But I'd rather have a difficult time than lose my identity all together like some have. Hecetu

g

..welcome back :silly:

Thought you weren't coming back until the decision on UND's 2nd appeal was made? Have you heard anything?:lol:

LARRY KING: "Gary, Indiana...HELLO??"

You should trade your one 8 year old vehicle in on two 4 year old vehicles, then you won't be opressed anymore and you'll have variety too!

PCM will have more chance to get two sixteen year old cars for his eight year old one. This is a capitalistic society after all. :silly:

I don't believe the oppressed can qualify for car loans. :lol:

Uff da! :silly: