SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux/Denver Sat.

sprig

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit of a wakeup call for the boys tonight. All the talk of how far ahead of the curve they are may have gone to their heads. Next weekend will be really tough, with a very experienced and tough Wisconsin team, one that's waking up, in town.

The tough part about tonight is that you have to take advantage of scheduling breaks, and getting a shorthanded DU team tonight was an opporunity to get a few more points.

7-2 DU. Nice experiment with Lammy in goal. Lets stick with what works....

Yes, Lammy had a bad night. But where was the fire and energy in the Sioux?

Not until the last few minutes, when things got very chippy, did we see much life from UND in this period.

I was watching the game on TV and after the little thing between Prpich and Paukovich I heard someone use the f word. I believe it was Paukovich. Did anyone else hear that? Also I liked the little chat between Paukovich and Stafford at the end. ???

If you are going to be a tough guy, do it on Friday night or earlier Sat night. There is no way that Paukovich was going to fight with 30 seconds left in the game.

Reasoning is pretty simple actually. WCHA regular season is very grueling, and not too many teams stay with just one goalie the entire season. The majority of teams, including the Sioux, rotate goalies in order to keep them well rested. Where I'm sure JPar wanted to play tonight, Hak simply decided that he needed a break, as he did play both games last weekend. It's also good to keep both of them in game form, in case an injury occurs to the other.

Thank you.

Yes, UND got MASSIVELY out hustled tonight. However, Lammy must have been pretty damn rusty. He goes down quicker than a....well you know. I can show you on slow motion replay how he ALWAYS made the first move tonight. He is a really good goalie, and I'm sure he knows this was an "off" night. The important thing is rebounding. Denver knows Mannino is the man for them, Parise is the man for us. It has been proven. It's just really unfortunate that the team played poorly in front of Lammy.

On the other hand, congrats to Chorney who scored his first as a Sioux tonight.

I would rather lose friday and regain momentum on saturday if we were to split. I'm sure Hakstol will give 'em an earful about how important BOTH games are in a weekend. Forget a crappy Saturday, bring on the RED, big games next weekend.

If you are going to be a tough guy, do it on Friday night or earlier Sat night. There is no way that Paukovich was going to fight with 30 seconds left in the game.

I agree.

Anyways, we played terribly all night long culminating in the worst period of hockey I've ever seen (third period). All I can say is: Hak, tear them a new one!

I cannot believe how undisciplined we played. And we're going in to play UW next week. I can see it now: Earl will never have dived harder and with the way we've been playing, the officials will bite every time.

Is our season over? Are we done? No. Maybe, MAYBE, we can use this game as an example of everything not to do in a hockey game short of getting DQs and major penalties.

Double post, but Diggler showed up on FSSN tonight. A very VERY dejected Diggler.

Oh, and it's amazing what the difference is between CSTV and FSSN. CSTV follows the puck better. And I still like the fact that it uses a countdown of how much time each PP has left.

I was watching the game on TV and after the little thing between Prpich and Paukovich I heard someone use the f word. I believe it was Paukovich. Did anyone else hear that? Also I liked the little chat between Paukovich and Stafford at the end. :silly:

was i ta friendly chat between Paukovich and Stafford?

Either the Sioux did a really crappy job tonite or Denver did a very good job of catching up. Denver gave the Sioux very little room to work, unlike last night. No one works as hard as Oshie. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone so good at getting body position on another player, including Parise. However, he had some bad luck connecting with passes or bouncing pucks tonite. Unfortunate.

Toews looked a little like he could use some more strength tonite.

Lee didn't do everything perfectly, but even when he made a mistake it's amazing how he usually can fix it. He's so good with the puck, and using his stick to pokecheck, etc. He's something to watch.

Lammy had a tough game but I'm not sure the D helped him out very much in some occasions.

Denver could have gone in the box a few more times tonite, I thought.

Now, the end of the game.....

I'll reserve final judgement until I hear more about what transpired at the end of the game. I will say I'm disappointed to see the boys lose their composure at the end. Usually the losing side of a 7-2 game gets frustrated and starts stuff. I hope that isn't the case here. With Prpich I can easily imagine that being the scenario. ON THE OTHER HAND, in the past 3 years I cannot ever remember Marvin taking a cheap shot at anyone. So something set him off. Not sure what. And it looked like others at the very end of the game were ready to "go" too. Kaip, and was that Watkins out there about ready to swing his stick? It was hard to see on the tv. Someone else saw Stafford having a conversation with Paukovich. It was tough to see if this was a negative or positive conversation. I was trying to read body language and it looked pretty benign to me.

If anyone heard anything on the postgame, or saw anything at the game, I'm all ears.

I agree with the other poster who said that winning on Friday and losing big on Sat really sucks the wind out of your sail. Frankly, I feel little was accomplished this weekend. Other than getting a couple of points last night, Denver sails out feeling awfully good about themselves, and that annoys me greatly.

I feel terrible for Trotter and hope that he fully heals. What a shame it would be if he can't fully recover. At least that came on a legal hit and will not contribute to what appears to be very bad blood between these two teams. Regardless of who started what tonite, I think this has now turned into a full-fledged rivalry, in the top 3 if not top 2 for the Sioux.

Oh, yes, I think I did see Diggler's 1.5 seconds of screen time near the end.

The boys just couldn't get it done tonight. I agree, this may be a learning experience for them that they hopefully won't have to repeat. For a couple of minutes, they looked awesome, for a couple of minutes. With more experience under their belts, this hockey team is going to be hard to beat.

I would give my car (it's paid for) for five minutes with Punkobitch. Everything that he did tonight bugged the he!! out of me. My baby boy is an ex football player, hockey player and discus/shot put thrower, weighs 260# and will happily hold him for me while I tap dance on his face! Aaargh, I'm more upset with Punkobitch and how he acted tonight than I am about losing the game. ???

The boys just couldn't get it done tonight. I agree, this may be a learning experience for them that they hopefully won't have to repeat. For a couple of minutes, they looked awesome, for a couple of minutes. With more experience under their belts, this hockey team is going to be hard to beat.

I would give my car (it's paid for) for five minutes with Punkobitch. Everything that he did tonight bugged the he!! out of me. My baby boy is an ex football player, hockey player and discus/shot put thrower, weighs 260# and will happily hold him for me while I tap dance on his face! Aaargh, I'm more upset with Punkobitch and how he acted tonight than I am about losing the game. ???

Didn't see much on the tube. Please elaborate.

Well that was awful.

The only good part was we clawed back to tie late in the second, but the sustained pressure and energy that I was hoping for never really showed up.

A few observations:

** Lines were a shambles tonight. Seemed like there were 3 different guys out there all night long and that messed up the chemistry. (Example: Kozek - Oshie - Stafford at one point, later Marvin - Zajac - Watkins) Even the PP units were affected. The Grinder Line was not nearly as effective tonight without Fabian; I hope he gets back soon. (Any word on his status?)

** Was fatigue and conditioning a factor? Several of our guys looked tired in the 3rd tonight - Chorney made some uncharacteristic plays, Lee looked a bit leg weary, Stafford didn't have the same jump, etc.

** While it would be unfair to blame Phil for the goals, several of which were just plain sick, it is fair to wonder how JPar would have done tonight. DU's 3rd goal came because Phil was down in a situation where JP may have stayed on his feet.

** DU, even with a short bench, is the real deal. Their top guys showed up tonight and pounced on mistakes. They will win a lot of games, and so this is not the same as, say, losing to St Cloud.

** A lot of "teachable moments" tonight. (For example Oshie with 2 puck mistakes on the PP early in the 3rd.) The key is learning from mistakes.

I still think we will be a contender come March.

Marvin was taking a lot of verbal crap from the guy next to him while waiting for the face off. The ref got between them and it just went on. It was not a cheap shot, the guy was egging him on, long game, lop sided score and Marvin just decided not to take it anymore. Not saying it was right but good for him.