SiouxSports.com Forum

The Pioneers

NorthDakotaHockey

. . . . Prpich will probably clean Paukovich's clock in the process. Nobody will see it, because it will be over at the Moon, or somewhere down by the river.

I guess that I was wrong. Or at least mistaken. The Source, of course, now reports that it will be Finley, not Prpich, who will be the Pauk Clock Cleaner. Friday night. Not down by the river, but at an arena near you. Prpich will be in the on-deck circle just in case.

I think that we shall be in our seats for warm-ups, just in case, and for every minute of action.

inch article

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7Archiv...6/wcha_0406.htm

While You’re There: The Hrkac Circus returns to Grand Forks for a one-day engagement this Saturday, as the 1986-87 Sioux hockey team will be inducted into the school’s Hall of Fame. North Dakota cemented its status as the hockey dynasty of the 1980s that season, winning the WCHA and its third NCAA hockey title of the decade with an impressive 40-8-0 record. In addition to Hobey winner Tony Hrkac, the team featured such notables as Bob Joyce, Ian Kidd, Steve Johnson and a freshman goalie named Ed Belfour.

From the Rocky Mountain News:

DU is bracing for a tough trip

Paukovich has been the subject of angry, often venomous, messages in North Dakota chat rooms, a fact that has caught the attention of DU coach George Gwozdecky.

"There is some concern about the threats and the things that have been said," said Gwozdecky, whose team captured its second consecutive national championship with a 4-1 victory April 9 against North Dakota. "But I'm very confident the two schools and our conference are not going to allow anything like that to happen. North Dakota is one of the great places to play college hockey.

"The people understand the game and appreciate great hockey. I think that is what a great majority of the people will be there to see, and I'm sure (North Dakota) will be diligent to make sure nothing spoils that."

From the Rocky Mountain News:

DU is bracing for a tough trip

I dislike the Troll as much as anyone, but I agree.

In fact, I'd be almost disappointed in the troops if they came out and immediately dropped the gloves the first time Paukovitch was on the ice. Let's beat them. We don't need to fight Paukovitch to prove ourselves.

Big Joe Finley has enough to worry about rather than whether or not he's going to fight.

And rest assured, if a fight DOES happen, it won't be "asked for" by any Sioux coach. After all, if Hak wanted to see a fight, then it would have happened later the same game as Bina was injured. It didn't happen and it won't happen this weekend either.

Hak is in control of this team. I believe the incident is way far down on the list of priorities for this team. I believe the main priorities are to get as many points as possible from a top WCHA team, and remain focused on that goal throughout the weekend.

Us fans are making WAY more of this than either team is, IMO. I don't think Gwoz has anything to worry about from the chat room banter. The fans want their pound of flesh, but just like we can't skate and win hockey games, we aren't going to physically go after Paukovich. The fans want to vent their anger and will do so, but it will be verbal, not physical.

Frankly, I get tired of reading the "Prpich or Finley are going to school Paukovich". Whoever says that apparently doesn't realize Paukovich is plenty big, would smear Prpich on the ice, and Finley is a youngster who needs to concentrate on learning to play hockey at the D1 level, not pounding the opponent in retaliation for an event that happened before he even knew when or where he'd play college hockey.

That said, I have no problem with Paukovich getting a severe riding by the fans. I'd like to be there too.

Us fans are making WAY more of this than either team is, IMO. I don't think Gwoz has anything to worry about from the chat room banter. The fans want their pound of flesh, but just like we can't skate and win hockey games, we aren't going to physically go after Paukovich. The fans want to vent their anger and will do so, but it will be verbal, not physical.

I agree but would you want to be his dad sitting amongst the uncontrolled fans. Will he be brave enough to wear his son's name and number. Good Luck to him if he does.

Hak is in control of this team. I believe the incident is way far down on the list of priorities for this team. I believe the main priorities are to get as many points as possible from a top WCHA team, and remain focused on that goal throughout the weekend.

I agree. Hak knows what's most important here. He kept the team under control and focused during the Bina incident at Final Five last season. He's not going to change that just because some fans and some in the media want revenge on Paukovich.

whatever happens , happens. things will play out and if its called for then maybe the gloves will drop. the reason some are suspecting anything to happen is because we could not do anything about it in th frozen four being how important that game was and what was on the line in columbus. i cant wait to see these games on tv this weekend and the sioux will sweep...zajac gets a few points this weekend!!!

fri - 4-3

sat - 2-1

Frankly, I get tired of reading the "Prpich or Finley are going to school Paukovich". Whoever says that apparently doesn't realize Paukovich is plenty big, would smear Prpich on the ice, and Finley is a youngster who needs to concentrate on learning to play hockey at the D1 level, not pounding the opponent in retaliation for an event that happened before he even knew when or where he'd play college hockey.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Finley wasn't even there, he probably doesn't even know Robbie all that well, just because he's the biggest doesn't mean he's the best choice.

If anyone was going to do anything I would put some money on Smaby, but I don't want to see a fight. Good, hard, physical play, I've got nothing against that.

I'd put my money on Parise. One Blocker B^tchslap and Paukovich would be down for the count. :)

Best news of the day, I picked up a lower bowl ticket for tonight's game and thus will be able to taunt Geoffy when he no doubt gets a penalty. ;)

That is good news, even better than the money I saved on my car insurance by switching to Geico.

Anyone know if the leagues are sharing referees this year? Zelkin is doing tonight's BU/Lowell game; did he switch leagues, or is he being shared by the WCHA?

Zelkin actually is a HEA official first, WCHA official second, from what I understand. It was like that last season too.