SiouxSports.com Forum

does this tourney have a name?

YaneA

The schedule on the board calls it the "Northern Lights Classic."

Yeah, they must not have had Subway lined up as a sponsor yet when that was entered. Not coincidentally, that's the same language USCHO uses. Clearly "Subway Holiday Classic" is the newer, preferred term.

Hi everyone,

I hope this is an okay place to post this...

A friend and I have tickets for both nights of this tournament. However, we're only going to be able to make the second one. We're driving from Boston (not BC fans, don't worry!), and this is one stop on our hockey tour. So, we've got two tickets to the Friday games that aren't doing us any good, and we don't want them to just go to waste.

If you or anyone you know would like these, let me know and I'll mail them to you. Your cost: one cheesy postcard (preferably from Grand Forks); I'm not asking for any money.

This is for Friday, December 27th, Bemidji vs. UMB and Brown vs. ND. Section 108, row D, seats 21 and 22.

First one to email me at twalsh@covad.net gets them.

Thanks,

Tom W.

A quick question:

If Manitoba defeats Bemidji State and UND defeats Brown, will UND v. Manitoba be considered a real game, or merely an exhibition (since Manitoba is not in the NCAA)?

I assume it would be an exhibition...meaning the game wouldn't count in the win/loss column and the points by the players wouldn't officially count.

Anyone have any insight?

If Manitoba defeats Bemidji State and UND defeats Brown, will UND v. Manitoba be considered a real game, or merely an exhibition (since Manitoba is not in the NCAA)?

That's correct. Games against foreign teams can't be considered for the purpose of NCAA tournament eligibility.

31.3.3.1 Countable Competition. For NCAA team-championship selection purposes, competition

is countable only when the teams played are varsity intercollegiate teams of four-year, degreegranting

institutions that conduct a majority of their competition in that team sport against varsity

intercollegiate teams (see Constitution 3.2.4.4) of United States four-year, degree-granting institutions.

Competition against service teams, professional teams, semiprofessional teams, amateur

teams, two-year colleges and club teams shall be excluded.

Ok, here is the deal we just can't allow BSU to lose and UND can have no let down against the Brown, who by the way beat SCCC and Wisconsin last year I believe.

They just mentioned the message board on the coaches show and the post about the three crappy teams and a really good team...

Not sure if this had been mentioned -- CB was on 1590 am this morning -- I missed quite a bit of the conversation, however, there was some talk on the participants of this tourney. Much cheaper to have two teams which will bus in (Manitoba and Bemdiji) -- for Brown UND pays for the flight tickets and hotel .......

Tim on 1440 will try to talk to David Hakstol tomorrow morning for those in the listening area.

Sorry for posting this here, but it's very last minute and I've suddenly gotten the urge to get up to the tournament tomorrow (Friday). I'm visiting relatives in Fargo. I've sent a few e-mails to people on the REA site asking if they still have tickets but no luck so far. I can't imagine tickets are sold out, but also don't want to drive all the way to Grand Forks to find out no one's selling outside the door. Does anyone know if tickets will be sold at the arena on gameday? Thank you everyone. (I'm also hoping to avoid any service charges from Ticketmaster or whatever.)

I thought this was not bad for an inaugural edition of a holiday tournament. Next year, I'm sure they'll plan early enough so that we can get some better known teams in.

Looks like they passed out decent hardware, too . I think, though, since Subway's the sponsor, the award for Tournament MVP, won this year by Bochenski, ought to be called "The HOAGIE Baker."