SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL Rule Changes

petey23

I love the shootout, and the trapezoid.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think 99 percent of the rule changes are really good, but I'm not so much a proponent of the restrictions on goaltenders hanlding the puck. There really aren't that many goaltenders out there that are great puck handlers. Anyone see CuJo handle the puck? Us Red Wing fans cringe every time he did while he was with us.

This rule is not necessary. Nothing opens up a game like a great outlet pass, and that includes if it is done by a goaltender out next to the boards near his red line (goal line). If I were to limit the goaltender's area where he could play the puck (not cover the puck, but play the puck with his stick for example), I'd either have it be the red line or the bottom of the face off circles.

But whatever. Overall, I think it's not going to change the game that much outside of more offense and more penalties. And none of it is that bad overall.

Right now it seems to me like taking out the red line is having a big effect. ON opening night there was for sure one break away goal. Now tonight the Hurricanes scored on a breakaway created by a long pass.

The bigger offensive zone seems to be helping teams keep the puck in the zone.

I'm especially enjoying the FREE center ice package. :lol:

If you have Digital Cable through Midcontinent, it's free for the first week of the season (Oct. 5-Oct. 12) in this area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Time Warner digital is also giving it free for this week. I believe the dish networks are as well.

It's great having all the games, but I was disappointed with a few things. Too many games at the same time, so you really only get to watch about a game and a half (east coast, 1/2 west coast). For that $130 you pay, I think a replayof the game shouldn't be a big deal. Also, they cut away as soon as the game is done. It would be cool if they at least stayed after that first commercial so that you could see the game highlights.

But it sure is nice watching hockey. :lol:

I think 99 percent of the rule changes are really good, but I'm not so much a proponent of the restrictions on goaltenders hanlding the puck.  There really aren't that many goaltenders out there that are great puck handlers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

UMD would have a national championship if this rule had been in college hockey 26 years ago.

The one rule I dont like is that if your team ices the puck you can't change lines. The purpose of icing the puck is to switch or ease tension.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love this rule. I noticed last night that a lot of teams were trying to skate out of their defensive zone instead of just throwing it the length of the ice. This creates more turnover and chances for goals. I wouldn't mind seeing a ban on icing during a penalty kill either. :lol:

I love this rule. I noticed last night that a lot of teams were trying to skate out of their defensive zone instead of just throwing it the length of the ice. This creates more turnover and chances for goals. I wouldn't mind seeing a ban on icing during a penalty kill either. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now that is just cruel.

Boy do the Bruins suck this season. They have looked sick with the free wheeling Pens who haven't won a game yet. Crosby looks pretty good.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Crosby is very flashy, but he's very raw. He'll do fine in the NHL, but he's not going to score 100 points this season (something the hype he's getting would bring if hype scored points)

It's great having all the games, but I was disappointed with a few things.  Too many games at the same time, so you really only get to watch about a game and a half (east coast, 1/2 west coast).  For that $130 you pay, I think a replayof the game shouldn't be a big deal.  Also, they cut away as soon as the game is done.  It would be cool if they at least stayed after that first commercial so that you could see the game highlights.

But it sure is nice watching hockey.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are more games on Saturday's. Plus, get a DVR to help with other games. I agree, they should show post game shows if the have one.

I love this rule. I noticed last night that a lot of teams were trying to skate out of their defensive zone instead of just throwing it the length of the ice. This creates more turnover and chances for goals. I wouldn't mind seeing a ban on icing during a penalty kill either. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love watching the games that start on the east coast, and then switching over to the west coast games. You pretty much catch two complete games that way.

There are more games on Saturday's. Plus, get a DVR to help with other games. I agree, they should show post game shows if the have one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Already got the DVR. Watching Bo tonight and taping the Canucks (Goren). I'm going do the regular VCR for the replay of OLN.

I must have missed the OLN Hockey game because instead of hockey they had some dumb testimonial: "Gee, what's that hurricane doing in front of my sailboat!"  And the "hilarity" that ensued.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They replay the game at like 10. Though I believe the game went late, so the replay may be later.

They have a game on Mondays and Tuesdays with a studio show after the game. Bill Clement is the studio host.

I watched the 3rd period of Pittsburgh and Buffalo on OLN tonite while I was on the stair climber getting ready for pheasant season. :D This is the first non-Wild pro hockey game I've watched for more than a couple of minutes. I have to say I was even entertained. I'm going to have to start watching pro hockey again.

Vanek had the puck a couple of times and I thought for sure it would be a goal, but he was stopped on both chances. Sid Crosby was excellent to watch. Man, that kid can play. He just needs some more strength.

It's fun to watch a game and see a number of college players i.e. Ryan Malone, Vanek, Miller (goalie), etc.

Can't wait for a Devils or Senators game now.

Haven't had a chance to see a complete game on CenterIce, that will happen tonight. CenterIce is good for watching your favorite team and being able to click over to other games of interest during commercials and intermission.

I've been to three regular season NHL games. Most of the new rules are good and, as others have noted, helped the flow of the game. It's more enjoyable than recent years have been. Often those games were snorefests. It appears sometimes teams forget they can make the two line passes but I'm sure they'll adjust.

I don't have a problem limiting the goalie's handling of the puck. While they can be exciting, I don't like shootouts. Hockey is a team sport that should be decided as a team. In the regular season I see nothing wrong with a tie after OT. I also think no allowing the team icing the puck to change lines is a good idea. Again, it helps the flow of the game by making them skate.

My biggest issue is with the officiating. No surprise, eh? They appear to be so focused on calling interference, rightfully so, they overlook other obvious infractions right in front of them. I'm not complaining about having too many penalties called. Keep calling them and the players will adjust and we'll eventually, hopefully, see fewer interference calls.

Last night Clement said that in the first 40 games of this season, there were 15 games where a team came from behind and won in the 3rd period.

Last season under the old rules, there were only 2 games of the first 40 that worked out that way. As he said "it was a 2 period game!".