SiouxSports.com Forum

Hockey?

jk

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coaching is a huge factor this year. Hakstol has a season (with a fabulous finish) under his belt, and he won't have the upperclassman comparing his every move to what Blais would have done. I'm sure there will be setbacks while all the freshman adjust to a higher level of play, but I think he'll whip them into shape in no time. Be patient at the beginning of the season, but this team has so much potential, I'd expect some high quality games around Jan-Feb. And as always, Prpich will provide quality entertainment by pissing off the opposing goalies.

This is to "goon."  What is this "ducktober" to which you refer?  Is it like "Octobsant," like we have in the western part of the state?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is a yearly ritual where you go out duck hunting in North Dakota and blast holes in the sky. My wife thinks I depleted the ozone layer last seasonl. For some guys getting out of the house is key before Nagzilla decides that you need to stay home and mow the lawn...

Seriously the up date on the Ducks, this should be an unbelieveable season for duck hunting. There are many ducks to be had this season. The reason I know this because I went out Honker hunting by Lakota on Saturday morning and the only thing that landed in our deks was Green Head Mallards and Teal.

Coaching is a huge factor this year. Hakstol has a season (with a fabulous finish) under his belt, and he won't have the upperclassman comparing his every move to what Blais would have done. I'm sure there will be setbacks while all the freshman adjust to a higher level of play, but I think he'll whip them into shape in no time. Be patient at the beginning of the season, but this team has so much potential, I'd expect some high quality games around Jan-Feb. And as always, Prpich will provide quality entertainment by pissing off the opposing goalies.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats right, I'm looking for at least 2 water bottles... :silly:

i would never say rebuilding, i would say reloading..........there will be bumps with so many freshman and very young D men but there will also be suprises and great play..i like this team to figure things out in the 1st half and then after xmas hopefully make a push to play at home at OUR regional.....i would say 3rd or 4th in the wcha..this will be a more offensive minded team which will be fun to watch....spirko, stafford, zajac, toews.......not to long til the puck drops...........they will be ready

stafford will have a huge year

toews - wcha roy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ya stafford will have a huge year! I just hope he stays all 4 years at UND and doesnt go pro early. if he stays, it will be that much more hockey sense that he will have to compete at a professional level.

GO STAFFORD GO!!

i would never say rebuilding, i would say reloading..........there will be bumps with so many freshman and very young D men but there will also be suprises and great play..i like this team to figure things out in the 1st half and then after xmas hopefully make a push to play at home at OUR regional.....i would say 3rd or 4th in the wcha..this will be a more offensive minded team which will be fun to watch....spirko, stafford, zajac, toews.......not to long til the puck drops...........they will be ready

stafford will have a huge year

toews - wcha roy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apparently Insidecollegehockey feels there's plenty of other wcha forwards that are better than Toews. Be nice to prove them wrong......

Phil Kessel

Minnesota U.S. NTDP

Andrew Cogliano

Michigan St. Michael's (OPJHL)

Jack Skille

Wisconsin U.S. NTDP

Chad Rau

Colorado College Des Moines (USHL)

Mason Raymond

Minnesota Duluth Camrose (AJHL)

Tim Kennedy

Michigan State Sioux City (USHL)

Dan Reidel

Ferris State Lincoln (USHL)

Blake Wheeler

Minnesota Green Bay (USHL)

Jonathan Toews

North Dakota Shattuck St. Mary's

Brock Trotter

Denver Lincoln (USHL)

Brock Bradford

Boston College Omaha (USHL)

Justin Abdelkader

Michigan State Cedar Rapids (USHL)

Ryan Stoa Minnesota U.S. NTDP

Trevor Smith

New Hampshire Omaha (USHL)

Nathan Gerbe

Boston College U.S. NTDP

T.J. Oshie

North Dakota Warroad (Minn.) H.S.

Michael Gergen

Minnesota Duluth Shattuck St. Mary's

Tom Gorowsky

Wisconsin Sioux Falls (USHL)

Andrew Kozek

North Dakota Surrey (BCHL)

Matt Watkins

North Dakota Vernon (BCHL)

Inside College Hockey combined already drafted with undrafted players so, I would expect players like Skille to be ranked higher than Toews.

Rau has all the makings of a great college player while Toews has been critiqued from the angles of being a dynamic pro player. It's all subjective.

On HFboards.com, they have Toews going 3-4th overall in the 2006 draft so I wouldn't get too offended by the Inside ranking system.

Besides, overall, we have 4 forwards in the top 20 listed. That's got to mean something.

Inside College Hockey combined already drafted with undrafted players so, I would expect players like Skille to be ranked higher than Toews.

Rau has all the makings of a great college player while Toews has been critiqued from the angles of being a dynamic pro player.  It's all subjective.

On HFboards.com, they have Toews going 3-4th overall in the 2006 draft so I wouldn't get too offended by the Inside ranking system.

Besides, overall, we have 4 forwards in the top 20 listed.  That's got to mean something.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All subjective, but...

Inside College Hockey compiled its 2005 Recruiting Rankings with extensive input from college and junior coaches, as well as professional scouts. Participants were asked to evaluate recruits based on their projected impact at the college level, not on their professional hockey prospects.

Don't forget Toews is a fair bit younger than most of the guys on that list.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Toews is younger than all of the guys on this list. There was another post wondering why Toews was the only College kid on Team Canada's Under 18 team this year. They didn't realize that his teammates were likely entering grade 12. Don't forget, Toews skipped a year. He did 3 years of high school in 2 at Shattuck.

In fact, some of these guys are 3 years older!

Toews has also outperformed all of these players when comparing apples to apples. He was the captain of a gold medal winning team at both the Under 17's and the Under 18's. He was also the leading scorer in both these tournaments.

The only two guys that you can say something similar is Kessel and Cogliano. Cogliano was the leading scorer for Team Ontario when they won their gold medal in 2004 at the Under 17's. He was however an alternate captain not the captain of that team.

You should also look at the physical stats of these guys. Many of them will not be able to play at the pro level unless they somehow have sudden growth spurt. Toews is already one of the biggest guys on this list and as mentioned above, he is considerably younger.

Having 4 forwards on that list is pretty impressive for the Sioux, but let's face it, if Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, and Bobby Orr all were 18 again and coming to the Sioux, INCH would still list them well down on that chart.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Travis Zajac should have been rated higher than No. 1 last year and Brady Murray should have been ranked higher than No. 1 in 2003. When will North Dakota's hockey program get the respect it deserves?

I agree. Travis Zajac should have been rated higher than No. 1 last year and Brady Murray should have been ranked higher than No. 1 in 2003. When will North Dakota's hockey program get the respect it deserves?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Besides that, INCH likes to take shots at Grand Forks any time it gets a chance. They have also had some feature articles that have been nothing but a complete joke. Remember the one about the goalies a couple years ago that basically said Karl Goehring never won a big game for the Sioux??

Besides that, INCH likes to take shots at Grand Forks any time it gets a chance.  They have also had some feature articles that have been nothing but a complete joke.  Remember the one about the goalies a couple years ago that basically said Karl Goehring never won a big game for the Sioux??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember that article also. It talked about how Karl struggled with injuries and how the goal he let in against Denver in the 1999 WCHA title game, led to the demise of the team that year.

Last time I checked, Karl re-wrote the record book for goalies at UND. I know we don't have to argue this, I just remember how absurd that article was.

What is with INCH's disdain towards UND??