SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruits

#1Hakfan

Hey Tony,

Why are we are still recruiting the same kids?

Frankly, I'm not sure they are. UND and NDSU will always recruit the best North Dakota players (although they may sometimes disagree on who those players are) even if those kids are being recruited by big-time D-IA programs. The same is true to some extent of "regional" kids. That isn't likely to change.

Where a difference exists, it will be seen mostly in kids from outside the immediate area who want to play at the highest level of competition possible.

Being the topic is recruits, here are the verbals to-date for NDSU.

Michael Arndt, LaMoure ND

Landon Smith, Dickinson Trinity ND

Matt Anderson, Cavalier ND

Lee Vandal, Rolla ND

Mike Brown, Larimore ND (NDSCS Wahpeton)

Matt Gratzek, Stephen-Argyle MN

Chris Wellenstein, Centerville SD

Christian Dallas, (NDSCS Wahpeton)

Seems like a good group of instate and regional recruits!!

My two cents:

-Matt Anderson had a really hard time deciding between UND and NDSU. It was a long, hard decision. Since he doesn't know what to major in, academics couldn't tip the scales. One thing that makes NDSU different? Its classification. I don't think him choosing NDSU is so much a case of someone enamored with only the fact the school is Div IAA, instead that was the one small thing that was different between the two. Otherwise the two schools were even (playing time, coaches, the usual stuff that helps athletes choose schools).

-There is a long time to go before signing day. There are at least two more weekends for visits, maybe three.

-The UND vs. NDSU in engineering debate: A whole lot of what makes a school better than the other is subjective and opinion. So, I think the "that's funny and erroneous" statement is someone being just as much of a homer as the statement being refuted.

The two schools are very different with their teaching methods. Students learn the same material in the end, but it is done in different ways. I have a cousin with a ME degree from NDSU, and he was able to find a job after graduation. I also have a former roommate with an ME degree from UND, guess what? She had a bunch of job offers before graduation. So, both have successful graduates.

Size wise, yeah, NDSU is bigger, but they have more engineering programs than UND does. Also, the teaching methods at UND are more suited to smaller class sizes, so it makes sense to have less students.

When comparing schools for better vs. worse programs, I believe the two are pretty even when it comes to Engineering. Just really different. Some progams fit one student's learning style better than others, does it make that program better than the rest? For that student yes, for everyone else, maybe not.

Okay, I'm done now. :D

Being the topic is recruits, here are the verbals to-date for NDSU.

Michael Arndt, LaMoure ND

Landon Smith, Dickinson Trinity ND

Matt Anderson, Cavalier ND

Lee Vandal, Rolla ND

Mike Brown, Larimore ND (NDSCS Wahpeton)

Matt Gratzek, Stephen-Argyle MN

Chris Wellenstein, Centerville SD

Christian Dallas, (NDSCS Wahpeton)

Seems like a good group of instate and regional recruits!!

And your point is?

I think the point is clear. The AC is kicking our keesters so far this year. There is no reason to sugar coat it. I can't remember the last time we have lost this many quality kids in our own back yard. Hopefully we can get back on track with Kasowski, Landry and others. (Bubba may hurt us there). We have had a number of great recruiting years in a row. I assume this will be another, but losing Smith ( how can his brother let him go to the AC and don't give me that crap about it's his choice and I will support him), Anderson, Gratzek and Arndt are big losses. I think the posters point is, for those who claim they don't get local recruits, that statement wrong.

If this trend were to continue year after year, we could have trouble maintaining our status as one of the elite D2 teams. These are the kids that form the core of great UND teams. (The ones who are good enough to play at D1AA or even the real D1 levels). As long as we get our share of them, there isn't a big difference between us and D1AA. If we don't, you will see a growing chasm. Don't misunderstand, 4 or 5 kids or even a year isn't the end of the world. In the early 1990's UND cleaned up on almost every state and area recruit two years, then got more than our share for a few years in a row. We then beat the AC 10 of the next 13 games. I would not want to see that occur. We lost two very good recruiters in Bubba and Tibesar in the last couple of years. I hope we are not having trouble replacing their recruiting talents. Dale is a great recruiter but he can't do it all. Does anyone know which coach has N.Dak. and which has northern Mn.??

-The UND vs. NDSU in engineering debate: A whole lot of what makes a school better than the other is subjective and opinion. So, I think the "that's funny and erroneous" statement is someone being just as much of a homer as the statement being refuted.

The two schools are very different with their teaching methods. Students learn the same material in the end, but it is done in different ways. I have a cousin with a ME degree from NDSU, and he was able to find a job after graduation. I also have a former roommate with an ME degree from UND, guess what? She had a bunch of job offers before graduation. So, both have successful graduates.

Size wise, yeah, NDSU is bigger, but they have more engineering programs than UND does. Also, the teaching methods at UND are more suited to smaller class sizes, so it makes sense to have less students.

When comparing schools for better vs. worse programs, I believe the two are pretty even when it comes to Engineering. Just really different. Some progams fit one student's learning style better than others, does it make that program better than the rest? For that student yes, for everyone else, maybe not.

Okay, I'm done now. :D

Have to respond to this NDSU vs UND engineering talk. Coming from a large family, five of us are engineering graduates: 3 from UND and 2 from NDSU. (Seven of us have science/technical degrees: 4 from UND, 3 from NDSU). NDSU vs UND is not at all a divisive issue at family reunions nor has it ever been.

However, of the three UND engineering grads, one sister now does consulting for oil companies on their oil reserves, one brother has his own civil engineering business in a western state, and I’ve been fortunate to stay gainfully employed as a senior chemical engineer at a specialty/pharmaceutical-type manufacturing facility. All three of us have, on more than one occasion, encountered arguably much less accomplished NDSU engineering graduates in the workplace. These NDSU grads, who upon learning of our UND degrees, almost without exception have publicly mocked our UND degrees as substandard and in the process have make a public a@@ of themselves. Even at my current workplace, an NDSU grad, who is by-and-by a pretty decent guy, can’t seem to let it go - and my co-workers look at me with an “is he nuts?” look. Having worked in the west, in the northeast, and in the south, I have never encountered that kind of behavior from any other engineering graduates from Big Ten / SEC / ACC /PAC-10 schools or even MIT/Penn/Cornell grads. To my knowledge, my two brothers that are NDSU grads, one who works where the main managers are UND engineering grads, have never had a UND grad rip into them about their credentials. Hopefully, one day, NDSU engineering grads (brothers excepted) can come to grip with their insecurities about their mythical superiority.

Have to respond to this NDSU vs UND engineering talk. Coming from a large family, five of us are engineering graduates: 3 from UND and 2 from NDSU. (Seven of us have science/technical degrees: 4 from UND, 3 from NDSU). NDSU vs UND is not at all a divisive issue at family reunions nor has it ever been.

However, of the three UND engineering grads, one sister now does consulting for oil companies on their oil reserves, one brother has his own civil engineering business in a western state, and I