SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruits

#1Hakfan

NDSU fans:

Besides Gratzek and Anderson, are there any other local kids who NDSU is heavily recruiting? Who else in North Dakota have they offered (or are expected to offer)?

To answer my own question, according to Steve Hallstrom, NDSU is showing interest in Travis Mertens, Evan Sauvageau and Lee Vandal. link.

From today's Herald regarding Travis Mertens:

Because of Mertens' 6-5 frame and athletic ability, college coaches have shown plenty of interest in him, but Mertens said when he's on the court all those distractions go away.

"I'm still debating whether I want to play football or basketball in college," he said. "But for the most part I don't think about that stuff. When I get on the court, it's my time to forget it all."

Anderson update from Steve Hallstrom's media blog

One football recruiting note--talked to Matt Anderson's dad last night and he said that Northern Iowa and Montana State are out of the picture and since Minnesota hasn't called they're probably out too. Dad says it looks like either UND or NDSU.

I like that the kid is 6'3 220. Sounds like a good sized linebacker. But what about that guy on the link that MSU is going after. 6'9 and 385. With that size I wonder if he can even move.

I think the question you really need to ask is how many players is it going to take to move him. :lol:

Anderson update from Steve Hallstrom's media blog

If Anderson visited UND this past weekend (last week's Forum article said he was scheduled to), I wouldn't be surprised if he commits to one or the other as early as this week since he's probably taken all the official visits he's going to take. Hopefully Trenbeath and Oksendahl are talking to him often since I assume both are home for Christmas break. :lol:

My cousin played with Gratzek in highschool and hosted him a couple weeks ago when he made his visit to UND and from what he had to say afterwards, Gratzek at UND LOOKS promising. I emphasize looks because obviously until the papers are signed nothing is definite. Would be awesome to keep the local kids though in Anderson and Gratzek. Also, Joel Schwenfier from Kittson Central made his visit this past weekend as well.

My cousin played with Gratzek in highschool and hosted him a couple weeks ago when he made his visit to UND and from what he had to say afterwards, Gratzek at UND LOOKS promising. I emphasize looks because obviously until the papers are signed nothing is definite. Would be awesome to keep the local kids though in Anderson and Gratzek. Also, Joel Schwenfier from Kittson Central made his visit this past weekend as well.

UND certainly does have a good history with Stephen and/or Argyle, particularly with the Borowicz brothers, and now with Halfmann and Safranski. Plus, as I mentioned before, if Gratzek is as good of a student as it appears he is, he should have a good chance at the equivalent of a full ride between academic and football scholarship money. That would negate one of the primary advantages NDSU has over UND (ability to offer full rides).

I'm not sure how solid this information is, but I heard things are looking pretty promising for UND to land Travis Mertens from Devils Lake. He supposedly wants to try play both football and basketball in college. Of course, the history of anybody pulling that off successfully at UND isn't too good, but if he wants to try it, more power to him. After seeing him throw down a couple of pretty nice dunks last weekend, I really like the idea of a 6'4" receiver with good jumping ability, a la Chris Denney from Omaha.

I'm not sure how solid this information is, but I heard things are looking pretty promising for UND to land Travis Mertens from Devils Lake. He supposedly wants to try play both football and basketball in college. Of course, the history of anybody pulling that off successfully at UND isn't too good, but if he wants to try it, more power to him.

Have you heard anything about Anderson? Usually the bison will try and force them to commit during the campus visit by telling them everyone and their dog wants to go there and they may not be able to hold a scholarship for them if they wait. One of the disadvantages UND has when going up against them is that they can now offer a full ride to kids UND offers 2/3's. That is the big advantage of D1AA and the 63 scholarships. What about Kasowski or Landry? Do you know what schools they are looking at ?

Have you heard anything about Anderson? Usually the bison will try and force them to commit during the campus visit by telling them everyone and their dog wants to go there and they may not be able to hold a scholarship for them if they wait. One of the disadvantages UND has when going up against them is that they can now offer a full ride to kids UND offers 2/3's. That is the big advantage of D1AA and the 63 scholarships. What about Kasowski or Landry? Do you know what schools they are looking at ?

I haven't heard any news regarding Anderson. Apparently he's taken his visits to both schools but hasn't committed to either as far as I know. I'm pretty optimistic about UND's chances considering our recent history with the Cavalier program, but you never know. I haven't heard anything about either Landry or Kasowski, but I would kind of expect both to sign with UND. Kasowski has pretty good speed, as he runs about a 51 second 400. I think he could play either at weak side outside linebacker or possibly even strong safety.

I haven't heard any news regarding Anderson. Apparently he's taken his visits to both schools but hasn't committed to either as far as I know. I'm pretty optimistic about UND's chances considering our recent history with the Cavalier program, but you never know. I haven't heard anything about either Landry or Kasowski, but I would kind of expect both to sign with UND. Kasowski has pretty good speed, as he runs about a 51 second 400. I think he could play either at weak side outside linebacker or possibly even strong safety.

Thanks for the info. I agree, Kasowski is a player. These three kids and the kid from Stephen would be quite a core of recruits to build on. I wonder if UND's talk of going D1 will scare any of them away. They may not wish to simply play at UND to say they are playing D1AA.

I talked to my cousin who played with Landry and Kasowski this year for Central and apparently Landry is most likely going to go to UND, they are offering him around $5000/year he said right now. Kasowski isn't such a sure thing though. It's between UND and Duluth apparently. UND wants him to be a linebacker and Duluth wants him to be a running back. So, whatever position he wants to play in college will most likely decide where he's going to be playing next year.

I talked to my cousin who played with Landry and Kasowski this year for Central and apparently Landry is most likely going to go to UND, they are offering him around $5000/year he said right now. Kasowski isn't such a sure thing though. It's between UND and Duluth apparently. UND wants him to be a linebacker and Duluth wants him to be a running back. So, whatever position he wants to play in college will most likely decide where he's going to be playing next year.

It is smarter to wait and decide where a kid will play until after they get him in camp. If he wants to play RB he is a RB until they decide they need him more at linebacker. Usually by then the kid just wants to play. I wouldn't mislead him, but why take a chance on losing a kid if you don't have to. UND might benefit from a big strong RB with good speed to compliment the smaller fast kids they have.

Duluth is the last program I'd want to go to if I were a running back, for reasons obvious to anybody who saw them play the second half of last season! ;) Realistically, I think Kasowski projects much better as a defensive player at the college level. That's not to say he couldn't be a Roland/Beatty type runner, but it would probably take him longer to get playing time than if he played defense.

Duluth is the last program I'd want to go to if I were a running back, for reasons obvious to anybody who saw them play the second half of last season! ;) Realistically, I think Kasowski projects much better as a defensive player at the college level. That's not to say he couldn't be a Roland/Beatty type runner, but it would probably take him longer to get playing time than if he played defense.

Good point. Paul Warfield was an All-Pro receiver but caught something like 3 passes in his career at Ohio State in the Woody Hayes era. I wouldn't think a RB would want to go to a spread passing type offense. Having said, that I am not so sure that isn't what Bubba had to do to move the ball. Wasn't their O-line young? They may be able to do more with their running game by the time he would be a Soph.

Good point. Paul Warfield was an All-Pro receiver but caught something like 3 passes in his career at Ohio State in the Woody Hayes era. I wouldn't think a RB would want to go to a spread passing type offense. Having said, that I am not so sure that isn't what Bubba had to do to move the ball. Wasn't their O-line young? They may be able to do more with their running game by the time he would be a Soph.

I think they started three seniors and two juniors on the o-line this past year, so youth wasn't the problem. I really don't know why it was they had absolutely no running game. Although I'm sure they'll TRY to run the ball early in the season next fall, I'm not convinced they won't abandon it altogether again if they don't have success with it early. I'll also be interested to see if any of their current backs transfer in the off season.

It's interesting that Bubba is recruiting in UND's backyard again. I know he was really after Chappell, Wahlin, Rambeck, etc. last year.

I heard some interesting news today while watching Christmas hoops. Gratzek from SA is leaning towards UND if he decides to play football. Yeah, if he decides. I guess he is tossing around the idea of playing basketball. He's had interest as a basketball player from the same schools that are looking at him for football. I don' t know what he looks like as a ball player. I've never seen him......but this info came from a very reliable Northern Minnesota source.