SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruits

#1Hakfan

Zack LaVigne of Foley, MN. He played running back and safety in high school, but will most likely play safety in college. He is also the cousin of Noah Dombrovski, redshirt OLB for the Sioux this year.

Are there any recruits coming out of Sacred Heart? I heard that an ex-UND D-Lineman was coaching there part time. Just wondering if he was able to develope any lineman there during this year.

It appears that the following is a list of players for whom UND may have an interest:

Zach Fulmer 6'2" 245 OT/DT Detroit Lakes

Brent Eidenschink 6'1" 215 LB Detroit Lakes

Dylan Blasser 6'3" 270 OL/DL Bismarck

Justin Andrushko RB British Columbia

Curtis Dublanko LB Calgary

Kiel Fechelhotter RB/LB Wisconsin

DJ McGregor 6'2' 310 OL Warren/Alvarado/Oslo

Evan Savageau 6'2" WR Fargo South

Zach LaVigne RB/S Foley

Can anyone else add or delete prospects to/from this list?

92,96 - you mentioned some others from last year's NF All State team. Do we know if UND is actively recruiting any of those kids? Are we recruiting Central's Kasowski.

It appears that the following is a list of players for whom UND may have an interest:

Zach Fulmer 6'2" 245 OT/DT Detroit Lakes

Brent Eidenschink 6'1" 215 LB Detroit Lakes

Dylan Blasser 6'3" 270 OL/DL Bismarck

Justin Andrushko RB British Columbia

Curtis Dublanko LB Calgary

Kiel Fechelhotter RB/LB Wisconsin

DJ McGregor 6'2' 310 OL Warren/Alvarado/Oslo

Evan Savageau 6'2" WR Fargo South

Zach LaVigne RB/S Foley

Can anyone else add or delete prospects to/from this list?

92,96 - you mentioned some others from last year's NF All State team. Do we know if UND is actively recruiting any of those kids? Are we recruiting Central's Kasowski.

I would say UND is definitely very interested in Cavalier's Matt Anderson. He's the top senior prospect in the state, IMO. I'd say the odds are quite good that UND is also interested in Ryan Kasowski. Probably not as a running back, but possibly as a linebacker.

I would say UND is definitely very interested in Cavalier's Matt Anderson. He's the top senior prospect in the state, IMO. I'd say the odds are quite good that UND is also interested in Ryan Kasowski. Probably not as a running back, but possibly as a linebacker.

I guess that I had thought that Anderson was just a junior. If a senior, I am sure we are recruiting him hard.

I guess that I had thought that Anderson was just a junior. If a senior, I am sure we are recruiting him hard.

Fulmer from Detroit Lakes started the season with a torn cartilage in his knee that had just been scoped then broke his ankle in the second last game of the year. He has a great upside and if UND has a little $$ left over he would be worth a small Scholarship or at least recruit as a walkon. I am not sure he had a good enough year to get a n offer though. He had a great year last year and good year this year despite the injury.

Eidenshink from Detroit Lakes had a dominating year. Fans and coaches from the other teams walked away commenting on him. He as been offered a full ride at Stanford to wrestle. NDSU had him in last weekend but I don't know if that was for wrestling, FB or both. He has multiple D1 wrestling offers. DL's coach said he is the best linebacker he has coached. He is very smart, very tough, and very agressive. The DL coach said he would rather play FB in college and would very much like to play at UND. He keeps his weight down for wrestling but would likely play at 230-235lbs. 4 yr starter and also started in the O-Line. Team aptain 2 years. High ACT score and 4.0 student. ( I assume that means he wouldn't get in to the AC because he is overqualified).

Rocori has a DE 6' 4" 260lbs, very athletic and quick. He can play at this level if not higher. I think his name is Torres. They had a FB NG 6' 2" 205 who was very good but I am not sure he is big enough to play Dline or fast enough to play FB or LB. He might be but I don't know. Sartell has a 5' 10" 230lbs FB who is very good and reminded me of Wistoff.

Fulmer from Detroit Lakes started the season with a torn cartilage in his knee that had just been scoped then broke his ankle in the second last game of the year. He has a great upside and if UND has a little $$ left over he would be worth a small Scholarship or at least recruit as a walkon. I am not sure he had a good enough year to get a n offer though. He had a great year last year and good year this year despite the injury.

Eidenshink from Detroit Lakes had a dominating year. Fans and coaches from the other teams walked away commenting on him. He as been offered a full ride at Stanford to wrestle. NDSU had him in last weekend but I don't know if that was for wrestling, FB or both. He has multiple D1 wrestling offers. DL's coach said he is the best linebacker he has coached. He is very smart, very tough, and very agressive. The DL coach said he would rather play FB in college and would very much like to play at UND. He keeps his weight down for wrestling but would likely play at 230-235lbs. 4 yr starter and also started in the O-Line. Team aptain 2 years. High ACT score and 4.0 student. ( I assume that means he wouldn't get in to the AC because he is overqualified).

Rocori has a DE 6' 4" 260lbs, very athletic and quick. He can play at this level if not higher. I think his name is Torres. They had a FB NG 6' 2" 205 who was very good but I am not sure he is big enough to play Dline or fast enough to play FB or LB. He might be but I don't know. Sartell has a 5' 10" 230lbs FB who is very good and reminded me of Wistoff.

Thanks for the insight. Do you know - is UND recruiting the kids you mentioned in your last paragraph?

Thanks for the insight. Do you know - is UND recruiting the kids you mentioned in your last paragraph?

I know they know about Fulmer and Eidenshink. They take their time and the kids ask if UND is interested in them but DL has some alumni who are very good about babysitting anyone UND is interested in until they finally get on them. We also do so in a manner so that we don't break any NCAA rules. I know Eidenshink told the DL coaches he would like to play at UND and that information was passed to the UND coaches. I assume the Sartell and Rocori kids are on their radar. Fergus Falls has a pretty athletic QB who could be a good free safety.

I would have to say Travis Mertens of Devils Lake would be an excellent recruit that's if he decided if he wants to play basketball or football in college.

I agree that Mertens is somebody to look at pretty closely. I believe he's in the 6'4" to 6'5" range, and about 190 pounds, so he's got excellent size for a receiver. I know he's had a handful of monster games this season. I've never actually seen him play. What kind of speed does he have? How about leaping ability?

This thread maybe isn't the ideal place for this, but to give an example of how recruiting is an inexact science and that mistakes are sometimes made, here's a piece of information that was in the St. Cloud paper today:

Birkel made recruiting trips to North Dakota and North Dakota State, but neither seemed that interested. When Birkel made his recruiting trip to St. Cloud State, the Huskies were playing at Selke Field (built in the 1930s) and were a lucky to get the one win they did that season.

This thread maybe isn't the ideal place for this, but to give an example of how recruiting is an inexact science and that mistakes are sometimes made, here's a piece of information that was in the St. Cloud paper today:

Wow - you make a very good point!

I agree that Mertens is somebody to look at pretty closely. I believe he's in the 6'4" to 6'5" range, and about 190 pounds, so he's got excellent size for a receiver. I know he's had a handful of monster games this season. I've never actually seen him play. What kind of speed does he have? How about leaping ability?

The UND BB staff has had an interest in Mertens - not sure if they still do!

• 3 weeks later...

I thought Gratzek from Stephen-Argyle looked very impressive today. The commentator for KMSP even mentioned that UND has been recruiting him (didn't mention any other schools). Hopefully he signs with the Sioux as he definitely looks like a player. Congrats to the Storm on yet another state title.

Anderson would make a heck of a noseguard with about 35-40 pounds more on him. Or maybe TE? He's faster than Kleinsasser was at that age and already bigger. With his speed, would he be better suited on offense carrying the ball, or on defense hawking it?

Gratzek looks to be born to play middle linebacker.

Great question. Hopefully it isn't an either/or situation. At least it shouldn't be. Would imagine both of these guys may get real serious looks at higher levels than UND after most recent performances. TV guys couldn't stop talking about Gratzek yesterday. And Anderson's senior year was incredible, minus the title game of course.

If indeed it comes down to being an either/or situation, it will likely be because one of them ended up at a higher level.

Couple articles in the Herald on Gratzek and Stephen Argyle

"STEPHEN-ARGYLE NOTEBOOK: Senior Gratzek has big game for Storm...

...Cromwell coach Jeff Gronner said before the game that his team was concerned about Gratzek making plays everywhere, offense, defense and special teams."

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/13260253.htm

"Senior Matt Gratzek excelled on both sides of the ball, punishing Cromwell with devastating blocks and making a team-high 10 solo tackles."

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/13260255.htm

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/13247580.htm

Not that they're an either/or proposition by any means, but among prospective local recruits, I wonder which one the UND coaches consider more of a "must have"--Matt Anderson or Matt Gratzek?

Matt Gratzek of Stephen-Argyle should be a high priority for UND right now. The first day of home visits is December 1st, and NDSU has already made an appointment for a meeting at the Gratzek home. He is the real deal. A man amongst boys. A motor that does not stop, and a mean streak between the whistles that you can't teach. Also, a 4.0 student. UND would be wise not to screw this up. And to make matters worse, St. Cloud State has entered the picture and made it a three team race.

Matt Gratzek of Stephen-Argyle should be a high priority for UND right now. The first day of home visits is December 1st, and NDSU has already made an appointment for a meeting at the Gratzek home. He is the real deal. A man amongst boys. A motor that does not stop, and a mean streak between the whistles that you can't teach. Also, a 4.0 student. UND would be wise not to screw this up. And to make matters worse, St. Cloud State has entered the picture and made it a three team race.

If he's a 4.0 student, I would think UND could put together an offer that would be at least very close to a full ride between football scholarship money and academic scholarship money. Being able to offer a full football scholarship is the one area where being I-AA really gives NDSU a distinct advantage. I'm surprised SCSU would even bother recruiting in this neck of the woods as it's almost unheard of for a high-quality local kid to go anywhere but UND or NDSU unless he's going I-A.

Anderson would make a heck of a noseguard with about 35-40 pounds more on him. Or maybe TE? He's faster than Kleinsasser was at that age and already bigger. With his speed, would he be better suited on offense carrying the ball, or on defense hawking it?

Gratzek looks to be born to play middle linebacker.

Great question. Hopefully it isn't an either/or situation. At least it shouldn't be. Would imagine both of these guys may get real serious looks at higher levels than UND after most recent performances. TV guys couldn't stop talking about Gratzek yesterday. And Anderson's senior year was incredible, minus the title game of course.

If indeed it comes down to being an either/or situation, it will likely be because one of them ended up at a higher level.

Anderson has already came out and said he wants to play Middle linebacker in college. I'd have hard tiime believing he would go to a school who wouldn't want him at the position of his choice. I don't know how you could ever even possibly fathem him playing Nose Guard.

Anderson has already came out and said he wants to play Middle linebacker in college. I'd have hard tiime believing he would go to a school who wouldn't want him at the position of his choice. I don't know how you could ever even possibly fathem him playing Nose Guard.

I don't think what I said was a slight to him at all. He has the physical tools, the frame, the work ethic, and the potential to be a dominant player at UND, no matter what position the coaches decide he should play. If every player was at the position of "his choice", every team in America would have a roster full of wannabe quarterbacks. By no means am I saying he won't be a middle linebacker in college. I certainly am in no position to make that decision. It is all speculation. ???

I don't think what I said was a slight to him at all. He has the physical tools, the frame, the work ethic, and the potential to be a dominant player at UND, no matter what position the coaches decide he should play. If every player was at the position of "his choice", every team in America would have a roster full of wannabe quarterbacks. By no means am I saying he won't be a middle linebacker in college. I certainly am in no position to make that decision. It is all speculation. ???

Mr. Anderson certainly would be the blue chipper of the recruiting class if UND can land him. He is most likely the best prospect to come out of North Dakota since Greg Eslinger. Word is Minnesota is looking at offering him a scholly to play Linebacker for them. So one could argue if the Gophs would want him to play Linebacker, he's going to end up playing linebacker.

And you're arguing with me about this because... ??? Should I have added "on my part" after " in my previous post for you to understand that I was simply SPECULATING? Jeez.

Why speculate when you don't have to? Anyways, whats the word on UND possibly going after GFC's QB?

He won't be a nose guard period. He will play linebacker or RB, but likely linebacker. I don't think he is as big as Kleinsasser was at that age either. I am not sure what he runs the 40 in but I think he ran a faster 200m than Jim did. There isn't a coach in the world who would play him at noseguard. He has great speed and size for a linebacker.