SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

So your solution is to allow the the bigots and anti-Semites who use these cheers to continue to be bigoted and anti-Semitic while those who use the unofficial "Jews" nickname in a positive manner are censored? Does this make sense to you? Do you work for the NCAA?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. I never said that. I think both groups of people need to get their act together.

While serving out my 'time out', I came across this old piece. It's a great read.

http://commarts.wisc.edu/Fac/Asen/Handouts...i%20mascot'

Skip Bayless, Illini Mascot honors people of courage, Chicago Tribune, 7 March 2001

But as a kid, as much I wanted to be Mickey Mantle or Johnny Bench, I wanted to be an Apache or Comanche brave. Not because I felt guilt about what my people had done to the Indians or because I viewed them through the Hollywood lens as "noble savages."  No I considered them courageous, athletic and spiritual--at one with the land for which they fought. They were conquered because they were finally outnumbered.

This was the spirit in which former Illinois football coach Bob Zuppke named the mascot Illiniwek, which roughly translates "they are men."  Using Illiniwek as its athletic symbol is the highest honor Illinois could pay the Native Americans for which the state is named.

Thats exactly what Chief Giles of the Peoria tribe said in 1995: "What more honor could they pay us?"

They say refusing their request will make them feel even more inferior and unimportant.  If so this state needs a new name.

There's a story in today's Herald about the status of UND's appeal to the NCAA.

UND NICKNAME: NCAA waits to hear from tribes

Bob Williams, managing director of public and media relations, said NCAA officials have made repeated requests for more information from the Spirit Lake Nation near Devils Lake and the Standing Rock and Sisseton-Wahpeton Nations, both of which partially are in North Dakota. He didn't say which, if any, of the nations have responded, or what specific information the association is seeking.
The Spirit Lake Nation, the closest Sioux Indian tribe to the UND campus, gave tepid support to the Fighting Sioux nickname in 2000. The tribal council at the time endorsed a conditional resolution that said the school must add sensitivity training for students, visit North Dakota Indian reservations and use a geometric Indian-head logo instead of a more tribal specific depiction.

This is still confusing to me. I have a copy of the resolution passed by Spirit Lake in December 13, 2000, and it includes none of the conditions stated above. In fact, the resolution says that it's in direct response to UND's introduction of the current logo. Why would the tribe insist that UND use the old logo when the controversy at that time was created by the new logo? A little research in the Herald's archives could sort this out.

Spirit Lake still has not made up its mind whether to officially oppose the nickname or retain its endorsement. The other Sioux tribes in the state already have resolutions against the nickname.

There's a story in today's Herald about the status of UND's appeal to the NCAA.

UND NICKNAME: NCAA waits to hear from tribes

This is still confusing to me. I have a copy of the resolution passed by Spirit Lake in December 13, 2000, and it includes none of the conditions stated above. In fact, the resolution says that it's in direct response to UND's introduction of the current logo. Why would the tribe insist that UND use the old logo when the controversy at that time was created by the new logo? A little research in the Herald's archives could sort this out.

Since there are new SL leaders who were not involved in the previous resolution, could it be they are responding to what nay sayers said the agreement was, in addition to what is documented.

Although they don't hold up in a court of law, many times people with contracts have disputes because of 'side' agreements that were made and not included in the contract. Just guessing.

Good point.  Maybe they are looking for ANY reason NOT to reject it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. The NCAA has enough info to reject it. As reported earlier, they recently contacted the tribes for more info. I'm guessing they would want Spirit Lake to say ok to the name, then the NCAA can say UND has approval from a namesake tribe and thus, no court case.

Watch out NCAA! Somebody else has hurt feelings. :D

Professor to challenge Iowa's compliance with NCAA rules

A University of Iowa law professor says the school is promoting homophobia and will challenge whether Iowa is violating N-C-A-A rules by painting a visitors' locker room pink.

Erin Buzuvis moved to Iowa from Boston in the fall and discovered the visiting team's locker room at Kinnick Stadium was pink -- something she says promotes sexism and homophobia.

How could this happen at Iowa, the school the NCAA said was a "model institution" for its policy against playing schools with American Indian nicknames and mascots?

I'd call for a ban on any movie that contains Molly Ringwald.  Except Breakfasy Club, cause it rules.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Except Ally Sheedy kicked Molly's skinny posterior in that movie.

prettyinpink1.jpg

And has there ever been a movie that could "contain" Molly Ringwald? If so, I haven't seen it. :D

Watch out NCAA! Somebody else has hurt feelings.  :D

Professor to challenge Iowa's compliance with NCAA rules

How could this happen at Iowa, the school the NCAA said was a "model institution" for its policy against playing schools with American Indian nicknames and mascots?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a bleeding heart liberal, I feel shame! PC run amock! :)

Maybe the NC$$ thinks this is ok as long as the opponents aren't forced to wear pink.