SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

You don't really want to talk attendance numbers do you? Okay... you asked for it.

12,000 Bison fans in Minneapolis for the biggest game in NDSU history? Good for you.

So here are the attendance numbers for both that event in Minneapolis, which i believe was actually for a 2 game session, with the numbers for the Sioux hockey game against Duluth the same day, just across the river in St. Paul.

NCAA "BIG DANCE" attendance numbers Friday March 20, 2009 at the Metrodome: 15,794 (KU/NDSU + 1 MORE GAME)

WCHA FINAL 5 attendance numbers Friday March 20, 2009 at The Xcel Energy Center: 17,729 (UND/UMD SINGLE GAME)

Now, let's compare the attendance figures for the Big 10 Basketball tournament, with the WCHA Final 5 for the same year... Oh, in case you are not familiar with the Final 5... It is a hockey tournament. Hockey is a niche sport that is only played by a bunch of schools that nobody has heard of, and nobody follows... :huh:

2009 BIG 10 BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT ATTENDANCE: Conseco Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, Indiana: 68,098

2009 WCHA FINAL FIVE TOURNAMENT ATTENDANCE: Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, Minnesota: 82,065

Plus, last night there were over 15,000 at the play in game at the WCHA Final 5 on a Thursday night.

So..like I said before.... GOOD FOR YOU with your attendance claims!

You can now go sit in the corner and feel shame.... :D

12,000 Bison fans would have left 594 KU fans and or fans of other teams....KU I would think brings more fans than that.

Your numbers are wrong - 12,000 for the Gopher game - double that for 2 years in a roll. You can play with numbers all you want - hockey is still a regional sport with only 50 some teams of which 40 are usually very bad and under funded.

Playing with numbers? I am going by published attendance figures.... not sure what your "2 years in a roll" comment is about.... So now you want to talk about which teams are bad and under funded?

I'm sure there are under funded basketball teams as well as hockey teams. The UND hockey team doesn't happen to fit into that category. Nor could they be described as "very bad".

I'm sure there are also plenty of "very bad" basketball teams as well. Now the NDSU basketball team may not be under funded either, but "very bad" seems to be a fitting description this year....Thanks for that!

Now you can play with yourself all you want.

The Class B basketball tournament is the biggest sporting event in ND. Yes, people in ND like basketball! There were 12,000 Bison fans at a basketball game in Minneapolis last year, tipoff was before noon. They rolled out the TVs in schools so kids could watch the game during school.

ND is not a hockey state...more delusional talk from the puck lovers.

Wow your funny! 12,000 people made it to a basketball game? Thats AWESOME!!! We only do that at every hockey game.... but your right we aren't a hockey state. Back to Back sell out nights. Yeah 12,000 at ONE basketball game is way better.... TO ANYONE OUT THERE I LIKE BBALL BETTER THAN HOCKEY...the other "bball fans" are just ignorant on here.

Playing with numbers? I am going by published attendance figures.... not sure what your "2 years in a roll" comment is about.... So now you want to talk about which teams are bad and under funded?

I'm sure there are under funded basketball teams as well as hockey teams. The UND hockey team doesn't happen to fit into that category. Nor could they be described as "very bad".

I'm sure there are also plenty of "very bad" basketball teams as well. Now the NDSU basketball team may not be under funded either, but "very bad" seems to be a fitting description this year....Thanks for that!

Now you can play with yourself all you want.

:huh:

Minnesota? The entire state will be tuned in to watch the Gopher bball team in the tournament. The hockey team has it's rabid 5% fanbase.

North Dakota? I guarantee more people in the state will be tuned in to the MBB tournament than will be watching UND hockey.

I'll take that bet and as far as Minnesota goes - Minny Mystery fans follow and speak highly of their swim team if they are winning and when all else fails - like the hockey team.

mplsbison you are right. At some point they might win a game. Being realistic a win might come one every generation. And then after that win they will exit the tournament. Unfortunately it is just the way it is. 20 or 30 years between wins is a long time.

What about Gonzaga? Some tiny, Jesuit school out in Spokane, Washington that no one has ever heard of, right?

What was so different about them? Why can't NDSU or UND copy that success? The facilities are there/will be there. It's all about getting the talent to come to school.

All of that notwithstanding, isn't making the tournament a few times every decade and getting a win every few tournament appearances worth getting into an auto-bid bball conference?!

It seems obviously worth it to me.

You don't really want to talk attendance numbers do you? Okay... you asked for it.

12,000 Bison fans in Minneapolis for the biggest game in NDSU history? Good for you.

So here are the attendance numbers for both that event in Minneapolis, which i believe was actually for a 2 game session, with the numbers for the Sioux hockey game against Duluth the same day, just across the river in St. Paul.

NCAA "BIG DANCE" attendance numbers Friday March 20, 2009 at the Metrodome: 15,794 (KU/NDSU + 1 MORE GAME)

WCHA FINAL 5 attendance numbers Friday March 20, 2009 at The Xcel Energy Center: 17,729 (UND/UMD SINGLE GAME)

Now, let's compare the attendance figures for the Big 10 Basketball tournament, with the WCHA Final 5 for the same year... Oh, in case you are not familiar with the Final 5... It is a hockey tournament. Hockey is a niche sport that is only played by a bunch of schools that nobody has heard of, and nobody follows... :huh:

2009 BIG 10 BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT ATTENDANCE: Conseco Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, Indiana: 68,098

2009 WCHA FINAL FIVE TOURNAMENT ATTENDANCE: Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, Minnesota: 82,065

Plus, last night there were over 15,000 at the play in game at the WCHA Final 5 on a Thursday night.

So..like I said before.... GOOD FOR YOU with your attendance claims!

You can now go sit in the corner and feel shame.... ;)

That's a nice apples to oranges comparison!

WCHA at the Xcel likely means several schools within a few hours drive.

Not true for NCAA tounament game at the Metrodome or the Big 10 tournament.

Tell me about a WCHA game attendance with Colorado College vs Alaska-Anchorage! :D

What about Gonzaga? Some tiny, Jesuit school out in Spokane, Washington that no one has ever heard of, right?

What was so different about them? Why can't NDSU or UND copy that success? The facilities are there/will be there. It's all about getting the talent to come to school.

All of that notwithstanding, isn't making the tournament a few times every decade and getting a win every few tournament appearances worth getting into an auto-bid bball conference?!

You're kidding, right? I mean, I've seen you write some complete and utter bullsh!t out here the past month or so, but this HAS to be a joke, right? RIGHT?

You're kidding me!!

You would rather UND did not get into an auto-bid bball conference?! For what?!

I'm fine with them getting into whatever conference they want to. Either the Summit can let them in now or wait until the nickname issue is resolved, if they want to. We're almost there. Either way, by the time they'd play in that league the issue will be resolved one way or another and everyone involved knows that.

Tell me about a WCHA game attendance with Colorado College vs Alaska-Anchorage! :huh:

Bison Boy, I guess you may still be a bigger tool than Dan...

So did the Bison team and fans take a bus or fly to Minneapolis? And is Fargo within a few hours drive of Minneapolis? You should know, since it's in your name...dumba$$.

And now you cry apples to oranges on the comparison? You morons are the ones that are saying that basketball is the greatest thing since the Bison flood promo video, so shouldn't you be able to out draw a niche sport from a bunch of schools nobody has ever heard of? Oh, and how was the attendance at the mighty Summit League tournament?

And if you are going to use the travel distance as an excuse as to why the WCHA tourney had better attendance than the Big 10 basketball tourney, you are even dumber than I gave you credit for....And that's saying something.

You guys make it too easy....You blow your own arguments right out of the water and you don't even realize it. I was going to spend some more time explaining it to you, but I think I will just sit back and laugh at you instead. That Whiskey-Joe-in-a-Speedo screen saver may have finally fried your brain.

So look back at your comments and how you contradict yourself... And if you still can't figure it out, ask your inflatable girlfriend who is no doubt sitting beside you right now to explain it to you....

There could very well be another Gonzaga out there. When you look at the way the Bison continues to improve this year I am sure they are on the brink of being the next Gonzaga. There are probably a lot of schools in the United States that want to be the next Gonzaga. NDSU more than likely will be the next Gonzaga. The excitement is growing in Fargo. Getting to the tournament out of the Summit is a lot different than actually winning some games in the tournament.

Bison Boy, I guess you may still be a bigger tool than Dan...

So did the Bison team and fans take a bus or fly to Minneapolis? And is Fargo within a few hours drive of Minneapolis? You should know, since it's in your name...dumba$$.

And now you cry apples to oranges on the comparison? You morons are the ones that are saying that basketball is the greatest thing since the Bison flood promo video, so shouldn't you be able to out draw a niche sport from a bunch of schools nobody has ever heard of? Oh, and how was the attendance at the mighty Summit League tournament?

And if you are going to use the travel distance as an excuse as to why the WCHA tourney had better attendance than the Big 10 basketball tourney, you are even dumber than I gave you credit for....And that's saying something.

You guys make it too easy....You blow your own arguments right out of the water and you don't even realize it. I was going to spend some more time explaining it to you, but I think I will just sit back and laugh at you instead. That Whiskey-Joe-in-a-Speedo screen saver may have finally fried your brain.

So look back at your comments and how you contradict yourself... And if you still can't figure it out, ask your inflatable girlfriend who is no doubt sitting beside you right now to explain it to you....

Pure poetry...I can hear the hissing sound of his girlfriends deflation right now! :huh:

BobIwabuchiFan

I checked the Summit web site and they reported attendance for the mens championship basketball game between IUPUI and Oakland as 3,122.

This game was played in Sioux Falls so obviously it was too far for any real basketball fans to attend. :huh:

Note: The arena holds 6,300 people so the final game was played at under 50% capacity. That sounds pretty niche-y to me...

I checked the Summit web site and they reported attendance for the mens championship basketball game between IUPUI and Oakland as 3,122.

This game was played in Sioux Falls so obviously it was too far for any real basketball fans to attend. :huh:

Note: The arena holds 6,300 people so the final game was played at under 50% capacity. That sounds pretty niche-y to me...

We better hurry up and do anything we can to get in this league RIGHT NOW.

Wow your funny! 12,000 people made it to a basketball game? Thats AWESOME!!! We only do that at every hockey game.... but your right we aren't a hockey state. Back to Back sell out nights. Yeah 12,000 at ONE basketball game is way better.... TO ANYONE OUT THERE I LIKE BBALL BETTER THAN HOCKEY...the other "bball fans" are just ignorant on here.

I never said Bison basketball was bigger than Sioux hockey... Sioux hockey is popular but it has little to do with ND being a hockey state. People like UND because they are successful, play in a nice arena, and you can go there and drink beer.

We better hurry up and do anything we can to get in this league RIGHT NOW.

Yeah, I was at that really small niche market game of college hockey between UND and UMD. All we could muster was around 15k people come watch this insiginficant sporting event outside the massive titan of sports college basketball and the summit league. I was disappointed as well that there wasn't more people to fill the 20k capacity of the Excel Energy center. I am assuming they held the Summit championship at the Corn Palace in Mitchell? :huh:

I suppose tonight won't get any better with the fan count considering we are going to play a small market team from Denver, Colorado. I would be surprised if they are even showing these hockey games on TV considering the first round of the Big Dance games between powerhouses like St. Mary's of California and Richmond. I guess we'll just have to be happy with 75 to 80k people showing up for 3 days of a niche sporting tournament. :D

Go Sioux!

BobIwabuchiFan

Tell me about a WCHA game attendance with Colorado College vs Alaska-Anchorage! :huh:

Okay, I have a few minutes before hockey...I will prove you wrong once again Bison Boy

Big Ten Basketball Tournament - Conseco Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, IN

Distances between member schools and Indianapolis starting with the closest:

1. 55 miles - Indiana - Bloomington, IN

2. 70 miles - Pudue - West Lafayette, IN

3. 127 miles - Illinois - Champaign, IL

4. 175 miles - Ohio State - Columbus, OH

5. 202 miles - Northwestern - Evanston, IL

6. 258 miles - Michigan State - East Lansing, MI

7. 277 miles - Michigan - Ann Arbor, MI

8. 329 miles - Wisconsin - Madison, WI

9. 365 miles - Iowa - Iowa City, IA

10. 498 miles - Penn State - State College, PA

11. 592 miles - Minnesota - Minneapolis, MN

Hmmm..... Looks like at least 9 of 11 teams and fans would be driving and not flying to the Big 10 tournament.

WCHA Final Five Tournament - Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN

Distances between member schools and St. Paul starting with the closest:

1. 10 miles - Minnesota - Minneapolis, MN

2. 81 miles - St. Cloud State - St. Cloud, MN

3. 87 miles - UM Mankato - Mankato, MN

4. 151 miles - UM Duluth - Duluth, MN

5. 259 miles - Wisconsin - Madison, WI

6. 326 miles - North Dakota - Grand Forks, ND

7. 364 miles - Michigan Tech - Houghton, MI

8. 918 miles - Denver University - Denver, CO

9. 988 miles - Colorado College - Colorado Springs, CO

10. 3,183 miles - Alaska Anchorage - Anchorage, AK

Hmmm....Looks like 7 teams would be driving and not flying to the WCHA Final Five.

Now.....What was your point again, there Bison Boy? :D

Okay, I have a few minutes before hockey...I will prove you wrong once again Bison Boy

Hmmm..... Looks like at least 9 of 11 teams and fans would be driving and not flying to the Big 10 tournament.

Hmmm....Looks like 7 teams would be driving and not flying to the WCHA Final Five.

Now.....What was your point again, there Bison Boy? :huh:

I hope you aren't waiting for a response from the mplstroll...he's still looking for patches to fix his girlfriend! :D

BobIwabuchiFan

Gonzaga basketball & Spokane is so much different than Grand Forks and Sioux basketball. Gonzaga is Spokane. The city loves the zags and the passion of the fans has taken the program to a new level. I would put the atmosphere in @ Zags games up against any in the country. The only other thing available to Spokane is WHL hockey, the chiefs. They like there chiefs, but its nothing like sioux hockey.

Gonzaga got on the map by going to the Elite eight in the late 90s, and the program has now won the WCC 10 years in a row. Thats what Sioux basketball needs to do to grip the nation and attract recruits. Grand Forks and the university lives off of Sioux hockey and it'll take alot to change that.

So anyone thinking that if sioux win a game in the NCAA tourney as a #13 seed that they'll suddenly have all this nation respect is kidding them.

It takes alot more than 1 win in the tourney to create a solid program and have the state behind you.

It takes alot more than 1 win in the tourney to create a solid program and have the state behind you.

Really? I thought you just had to make the tourney once, put out a promo video of your team and the recruits will come. :silly:

Note: The folks over at NDSU should call the St Cloud State hockey program. They likely have some good contacts on where to order NCAA Participation banners.

Well I guess I really have no reason to hold back now. Division I hockey is a joke. Hockey overall is an afterthought that nobody gives a crap about west of Devils Lake, east of Warroad and South of Fargo. It's largely the sport for rich kids who aren't athletic enough to play other sports. You disagree, then why is does the greatest hockey player of all time (Wayne Gretzky) have the physique of a school girl?

Sioux hockey may win 10 championships but it ultimately doesn't amount to much as only 50 or so teams play Division I hockey and most of the schools that people associate with success in collegiate athletics don't even field teams (Florida, USC, Texas). If UND were in the NCAA tournament they most likely would have squared off with a school that is a recognizable name in every household in the country. Today the hockey team played Minnesota- Duluth. Point. Set. Match.

Your statement couldn't be further from the truth.

Now.....What was your point again, there Bison Boy? :silly:

How many UND alumni live in the cities? Even still, it's not that far of a drive from Grand Forks or Fargo to the cities.

Thanks for proving my point.

Really? I thought you just had to make the tourney once, put out a promo video of your team and the recruits will come. :silly:

Note: The folks over at NDSU should call the St Cloud State hockey program. They likely have some good contacts on where to order NCAA Participation banners.

Haha, classic comment.